Skip to content

Hello All, New To Your Forum, Baby Bullie On The Way!

Comments

• Yea, the pugs owner was keeping him away from the other dogs I imagine because he was away from the action, but I didn't see why until we walked past. I saw him getting up but then the alien pug came running over so fast. Scared the poo outta me! Stoeger loves ppl and is curious about other dogs. Right now I think because he is small he approaches them slowly. Lol I've read bull terriers are loving but I never expected him to be a little social butterfly, and I hope it stays that way!
  • The pug was just mad stoeges was cuter than him!! :D
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • edited August 2013
    Haha! The pug owner would disagree although everyone there loved the beefy stoeger-noff! One guy even was wearing one of those pug shirts, I've come to realize that they will never know true love..... Unless of course they come to their senses and own a bull terrier :D
  • Amen to that!!!
  • edited August 2013
    Yeah, I think he will be OK. Even a Pug trying to be his nastiest is not that scary, haha!

We take Stogie pretty much anywhere we go (that allow animals). He LOVES
    meeting new people. Hopefully we will run into more dogs to socialize
    him with.

Thursday he goes to see the vet. Maybe there will be healthy dog or two in the waiting area he can meet.

I know the vet will be excited to see him since Bullies are so rare
    around here and she only has one other EBT under her care (besides her
    own two).
  • Oh and here's a few more pics...

This little guy keeps growing! I think we've gotta move his crate divider back some more!!! Don't worry, normally he has a much more comfy blanket in there but it was laundry day ;)

Our version of Where's Waldo? I pile up pillows on our over-sized chair so I can have more comfort watching the tube, well I get up for two minutes and Stoeger does his best Ostrich impression and buried himself!!

Luckily, I was warned of his whereabouts before plopping down in my seat!
    002 (2).JPG
    1600 x 1200 - 691K
    001 (3).JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
  • Haha, I saw the breeders page with Stoeger and y'all. I forgot how I came across it but him and his litter mates are awesome. I've only had Spud for close to four months now but love everyday of it. I'm definitely going to have to get him and little brother or sister in the future but not until he's older and fixed.

The videos you posted remind me of the uncoordinated runs they have since they are growing into their bodies. Spud didn't starting have a proper gait until about 4-5 months.

Mike
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Okay I think he has officially progressed from cute to beautiful... (so I can put the mustard away)... But Houston, you have a problem... your hearts are disappearing into the stratosphere ... you'll soon be joining us space monkeys out here.  You might want to keep a weekly weight log... just so you can see exactly how much he is gaining... it's real easy to lose track. Here's a snap of the one we use....
    WeightSnap.jpg
    2362 x 865 - 634K
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Is that in excel? I jut have pics that I have of with with age and weight but and chart with also be nice!
    Yes, in Excel.. The purple is Isabella, the pink, her brother. Don't take any note of their weights though, every bully is different... Main thing is the gain. I wish we had taken better note of their height too... Now that they are leveling out around 60/65 lbs they are still growing size wise... And I can't really compare that as much as I would like... I am sure they'll add another 10 lbs, but over 6 months, not 6 weeks as they did. Measure the withers, maybe even just a pencil mark on the door jamb! :D
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Good idea! I didn't even think about measuring his height!
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Nice chart! Very cool Phil.
    :-bd
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yeah, awesome Phil, thank you for sharing that!

I'm estimating that his height is knee high to a grasshopper right now :)
    Where ja get the grasshopper for that standard... Out of that movie Avatar? ^#(^
  • True Phil, he is getting bigger by the minute!

Here is a photo update for those of you who like pics of little-big Stogie!!!

My favorite is the one from this morning of Stoges_mom and the pup sleeping on the couch both pretending like the day hasn't already begun!
    015.JPG
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
    009.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    006.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    014.JPG
    2448 x 3264 - 1M
    Now tell me you didn't buy that shirt to match the dog...???  (I have the same shirt and I tell people I got the dog to match my shirt)  :-)
  • Lol I think it would be more accurate if said I got the dog to match the shirt! Haha
  • Stogie is looking good.  They grow so fast.  Enjoy is while it lasts.
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • Thank you Craig!

Stoeger will be headed to the vet today to get checked out and some shots. We should get an accurate weight, well better than our bathroom scale, ha!

Here is a vid & pics from the other night's dinner. Kibble & Cottage Cheese, yummy.

I think we're fortunate that he's not a picky eater.

005.JPG
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
    003.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    You need to get dishwasher safe dog bowls... Those ones are shrinking every time you wash them.
    Good to see you are keeping your hands near his feeding... That way when he grows up used to seeing your hand in with his food he'll never snap in being defensive of his grub.
  • Stoges_mom is our "dishwasher" she lovingly scrubs those bowls by hand for him, lol.

Yup, I even manually rearrange his food in his bowl while he's eating.

Never once has he growled or nipped or shown any food aggression and we wanna keep it that way.

Well if she is hand washing them then you must be still using the bicycle pump, because they seem to be getting smaller!  (Love the way he grips the edge with his thumbs to stop it sliding!)
  • It should be illegal to be that cute!!!!
  • edited August 2013
    I just love the pot bellied pig look they get when they are young and eat.  Reminds me of Thanksgiving!!
  • I've been having an inner battle with myself. I want another bullie SO FRICKIN BAD!!!! I love having Apollo in the house because he makes us laugh constantly. There's the battle... spoil one or share 2???
  • EBT's Just like Pistachio's.  Can't eat just one (even with Mustard)!!
    edited August 2013
    I'll be the first to admit that the first six months of bringing up two bullies hasn't been the easiest thing I've ever done... There have been times when my wife has wanted to divorce or kill me... ( but she couldn't decide which would be more painful).... But now that they have learnt a thing or four they are a total pleasure and I couldn't imagine NOT having done it. That's on the human side... And on the superb-human side, they just totally love each other... They play, romp, run, eat, bath, explore, everything together and have such tender moments with one another ( every morning Marco goes into Isabella's crate, kisses her ears, and says; " common' liddle sis, it's time to get up go pee and poop"... )... a small example of many special things they mean to each other.
    Also, I don't know about your family situation, I think you are two?, and HOW DO YOU SHARE A BULLIE? I mean, we fight over each other's Bullies!!
    Here they are in pic below, getting all kitted up for the morning safari...
    I could bear the thought of leaving one all alone on its own now... Even though the previous bullies we had, we always had just one at a time... ( so, I'm a slow learner)
    Prepping4Trekking.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
  • Phil, there are 2 adults in the house. Me and da hubs. Apollo is with me all day so I think it's safe to say he's more attached to me. He gets SUPER excited when Chris gets home, but at first opportunity he's in my lap wanting to snuggle. I would take another puppy in a heartbeat now, but if we do choose to get another it won't be until after May of next year.
    I love Marco! Isabelle too. But you know I'm partial to brindle! ;)
    Well, next May isn't that far away, I'm sure Apollo will enjoy a liddle SISTER around then.... If t'were me I'd see if I could borrow plenty of puppies in the meanwhile for sleepovers ( you know, from that library o'er the hill ), so that he gets totally used to sharing you and having 'liddle uns running around.
  • Exactly what we need is a little girl! ;) I wanted white, but I think I'm leaning more towards the red and white......We'll just have to see what the future holds. :-?
  • I'll keep posting vids of Stoeger, it'll keep your pallet moist for another delicious puppy Leslie ;)

BTW, Stoeger's first real visit to our new vet went great today!

• I had some beef stoeger noff for dinner last night it was yummy..... 8-X
    My wife used to make a great Stoeger Noff, since these posts I've been pestering her for it.... says she doesn't have a recipe, that she made it from memory, now that's gone.  Was the vet impressed? He aught to be! What did he weigh?
  • We're all in the same boat. Only had Spud for close to four months and each week there's maturity. I'd take another pup in a heartbeat and would settle for an all white or tri color. For now one will do but I'm hoping to give Spud a little sister as well.

Mike
  • Stoeger's vet visit went quite well!

They were impressed with how SOLID Stoge looks and IS.

He weighed out at 7lbs. So he is on pace for two pounds/week since we picked him up.

On a comical note, they loved his poop sample, said it was wonderful =))

Everything else also checked out great except for a slight heart murmur. The vet said her Bully had one as a pup and it went away on it's own. So they will keep an eye on that over his future visits.

Since we have a serious tick & Lyme disease problem in our area... I had Stoges_mom ask about what flea and tick treatment the vet has her own Bullies on. She said Frontline Plus and gave us a free sample.

I'm still up in the air with what product(s) to use to protect Stogie from these bugs, so I'd love to hear my fellow forum members suggestions, results and experience with Frontline Plus and other options.

They shot a vaccine up his nose for kennel cough and he is scheduled back for some more shots in two weeks.
  • Oh and here is a Stogie pic from this morning for all of his photo-fans out there ;)
    photo(1).JPG
    853 x 641 - 136K
  • I hate frontline!! I suggest trifexis it covers heart and flea in one. Frontline I used for years on my pitmix and it always worked wonderfully untill a couple years ago I don't know if they changed the ingredients or what but it don't work on either of my bullies. I even contacted the company and they just wanted to exchange it for a new vile of it nope no money back to get a product that works losers!!!! My motherinlaw recently had it burn her dogs skin and all three of hers still had fleas!!! The trifexis is also chewable and not topical so no need to worry about washing it off. I love it and no fleas!!!! I could seriously eat him he is so darn cute!!!!!
  • Yea I suggest Advantix II with Heartgard Plus or Trifexis - which does both. Great to hear that Stogeys in good health. Hope the murmur takes care of itself.
  • Also I suggest letting the breeders know about the murmur just as a formality.
  • Thank you Leslie, I appreciate your insight.

The vet did say that Frontline only kills the fleas and ticks if they actually bite the dog.

So, you'll see the buggers on him but once they bite they're toast.

I wasn't happy with that personally, I'd like him to be bug-free.

How is Trifexis and Advantix ll for ticks Soapskid?

Also, we did let Backwoods know about the mild heart murmur. We constantly update Paul & Cindy on how Stoeger is doing ;)

• He looks great! I don't know the truth behind it, if it's just speculation but supposedly some of the bugs around here have built an immunity to frontline. It's definitely believable. I'm in New England where tick population is high. I use advantix 2 also. I've been spraying that homemade recipe every time we go for a hike which is quite often. There's a thread on here somewhere about it. Advantix has a repellent effect also will kill like frontline if they do happen to bite. Since I've been using the homemade recipe I've only pulled off a few ticks at most. Which is unusual around here.
    Mmmmm! I don't know man, I think he is still mustard material!  I thought I'd got passed that phase, but no, he's still yummy!  Trifexis gets my vote!  Glad your vet is interested in poop, mine's just interested in mooolah!
  • My area isn't really tick infested but since I plan to camp and hike near water with Spud its necessary. Just like you I think all BT owners should worry because of so many know skin issues. So far its worked out great but I plan on doing trifexis after the six months (ADII & Heartgard) are up. Reason why is what Leslie said its a chewable instead of a topical for flea treatment and we like to bath our dogs often. It's slightly more in cost but its in one tab for easy application.

Both will take care of ticks but ask the vet for their suggestions since they probably know the area well enough since they take care of the issues in your area. Trifexis for a 6 month dose is about 20 bucks more then Advatix II and Heartgard Plus.
  • @Stvy we are in Upstate, NY, a real tick/Lyme strong hold. Stoeger got a spray with that homemade repellent the other day when he was helping Stoges_mom in our garden....

@Philsergeant it was a $100 visit, certainly worth the poop compliment, haha!

@Soapskid I do like the idea of a non-topical treatment because Stoeger will be with us most places we go and I'm sure he's gonna get dirty. One of our past-times is rock-crawling/trail-riding in our heavily modified '85 4Runner. So Stoge will be getting bathes often if he tags along.
    538743_3848205486529_2029730609_n.jpg
    960 x 638 - 202K
    Happy to hear the Vet appointment went well. I'm sorry to hear they heard a murmur. That's something you're going to definitely want to keep an eye on. As far as letting the breeder know, I guarantee they already know if they took the litter in a 6 weeks for health checks. This is where the importance of genetic testing becomes an important factor. There's a test called "Heart Doppler" that can be conducted to provide you with a detailed report on the condition and health of the dogs heart. Many breeders that conduct genetic testing on their litters will have this done. However, most breeders don't provide genetic health tests.
    If I were in your position I would call your Vet back up and ask them if they have the capabilities to conduct a Heart Doppler test. If they don't they can tell you where to go to have it done. Your Vet will understand that many different breeds are recommended to have this test conducted and that many breeders will do so prior to selling their puppies.
    It is not uncommon for a BT puppy to have a serious heart problem regardless of the bloodlines and/or health of the parents. I had a puppy from a litter 2 years ago that appeared perfect in all aspects. However, the heart doppler test proved otherwise which would have an impact on the puppies health for life. At least this information was known early and prior to the puppy going to its new owner.
    I'm a little shocked that your Vet didn't recommend at least an X-ray or EKG if he noted a murmur. Based on the fact that he didn't I'm hopeful the murmur was very slight and he decided to make a note of it and recheck during the time you come back in for the next set of vaccinations.
    What I would recommend is that you contact the breeder and instead of explaining to them that your Vet noted a heart murmur, let them know that if the murmur is still present during the next visit you wish to have a Heart Doppler test conducted to see if he has any congenital defects effecting his heart which may impact his health and future well being. Hopefully the breeder will pay for the test knowing they should be doing genetic testing anyway. Reread you health guarantee very closely because many breeder's mannerisms and friendliness quickly dissipate when they're faced with compensation for a puppy that has a health concern.
    I'm sure your puppy is most likely fine but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Your puppy is gaining weight right now at an appropriate rate. However, he is still underweight for his age which may be fine if his parents were on the smaller side. My only concern would be underdevelopment which could also be a factor for a heart murmur. Were the other puppies the same size? 4 pounds at 8 weeks old is Very small.
    Keep us posted on him. I can't wait to see new photos. Your videos are awesome!

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I agree with Soap. Advantix and heartguard. That's what we use but we have crazy ticks. We had him on one application of Frontline's Certifect and I pulled 6 ticks off of him. In the past 2 months on Advantix I've pulled no ticks and seen not one flea. I have used advantix for years and from what I know it seeps into their skin. No worries about washing it off in the bath. I do believe you are supposed to wait 24 hours after application before a bath though.
    Our vet said he heard a slight heart murmur on Apollo's first vet visit. He hasn't heard anything since. Just make sure you and the vet stay on top of it.
    7 lbs huh? Perfect cuddle size! He seems so tiny!! Or maybe Apollo was just a moose!
  • edited August 2013
    We got him at 6 1/2 weeks old (4lbs.) He is now 8 weeks old (7lbs.)

He was the smallest of the litter of eight.

Banshee the sire is BIG. Bella the dam is a bit smaller than Banshee but no where close to mini.

Our vet noted that he was in the "normal" weight range for his age.
    Oh, I didn't realize you got him so young. :-/ It seems I'm hearing more and more people are getting their puppies at very early ages.

Well he may have been the smallest in the litter but he might end being the biggest of the bunch very soon. ;)

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Steve, You should know... do you think it's just a sign of the economic times that breeders are letting puppies leave mom & the litter b4 they should, (they know it's wrong), or do you think the moomoo's just can't handled bringing up a litter for 8 weeks?
    That's a very good question. One thing for sure, it's one if not both of the reasons you've questioned. I try so hard not to throw stones at other breeders especially on this Forum. I try even harder when they are breeders I don't know personally and may have only heard of. Oddly, Backwoods Bull Terrier breeders emphasize heavily on "No Fly Zones" and the risks in flying puppies on airplanes. It's all over their website and they harp on the fact they they will NOT ship a puppy via canine flight shipment. They have paragraphs about this subject. I think it would have been much easier just to say "We do not offer canine flight shipping because that would mandate us having to wait until the puppies are over 8 weeks of age and we expect puppies to be picked up at 6 weeks of age." The care and health factor for being worried about the puppies being shipped goes right out the window when they are releasing their puppies at 6 weeks old. That's about the time I allow people to visit their puppy and finally get to touch it.
    I looked back at the Vet records from our past 3 litters at 6 week tests and health checks and all puppies ranged between 7.2 pounds as the lightest to 8.9 pounds as the heaviest. Four pounds at 6 1/2 weeks old is small, delicate, and dangerously unsafe to allow to go to a new home.
    You'll always hear me explain about the importance of all puppies getting the proper socialization skills, confidence, and strength from being with their siblings from the ages of 6 weeks to 8 weeks. With the Bull Terrier breed and many other Bully breeds taking them away from their siblings at a young age can have a negative effect on the temperament and character towards other dogs as they mature.
    Unfortunately I'll never be able to convince other breeders what's right and what's wrong. You are correct though, most actually know they're doing wrong but choose what's easiest for them regardless of the impact it may have on the future health and temperament of the puppy. As long as they know the puppy will most likely survive I think they're content.
    Fortunately some of these young puppies go to really good people that will no longer take short cuts with their health and do all that they can to raise them properly into healthy strong dogs. There was somebody else on this forum about a month or two ago that wrote about her 4 week old BT puppy that they received with a hernia. We never heard back from them after venting a little about the age of the puppy. I don't wish for that to happen any more. I want to continue to hear from the people and help them in any way that I can. I think I'm mostly to blame because sometimes I have a hard time refraining from saying nothing at all because there are many viewers reading these posts and the last thing I'd ever wish for is gaining a false notion that purchasing a puppy and taking it home prior to at least 8 weeks of age is ok when it's not.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com