Skip to content

Hello All, New To Your Forum, Baby Bullie On The Way!

edited July 2013 in Forum Member Photos
Hi Everyone!

My girl and I have been lurking around your forum for some time now.

We're trying to take in as much useful information as we can before the new arrival.

We hadn't planned on posting here until our pup crossed the threshold of our loving home but...

We have a question and thought you folks might be able to assist.

Our pup was born on June 20th, his name is Stoeger.

We'd like an opinion on what color he will develop into as he matures.

He mom is white with a black ear and his dad is dark brindle & white.

I've
read that red & white pups can look a bit brindle when young but
the dark coloring fades as the pup grows, is that true?

I've
attached a few pics of our little man. He's the lightest colored pup in the group pics....

Even if he turns purple we will
still love him to death, we're just curious what you guys might predict
his color to be.

Thanks in advance :)
002.JPG
1024 x 768 - 74K
003.JPG
1024 x 768 - 75K
006.JPG
1024 x 768 - 118K
021.JPG
1024 x 768 - 563K
029.JPG
1024 x 768 - 611K

Comments

• Cool! Neat little guy. Love his white "socks". I'm not really schooled on color change. I bet these other experts on board the forum can help with that. Welcome....pull up a chair, sit your bullie in it, and stay a while!  :-h
  • Definitely a question for the experts. All I can say is what a cutie pie your little man is! Welcome to the forum!!!
  • Nope, pup is definitely not home. He's still suckling on his mom ;)
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    @Stoeger - Welcome to the Forum! Your puppy looks great! You are correct in stating that, when born, Red and Whites can be mistaken for brindles due to their dark coats. However, a Red and White as well as Fawn and White will have solid color of almost a light brown with a dark stripe that will run all the way down their back. As the puppy gets older their color will lighten and the dark stripe down their back will slowly fade away.

Your puppy is a Brindle and White. The stripes may not be as noticeable as the other Brindles in the litter but as he gets older his colors and stripes will become more defined.

Due to his date of birth he is now 4 weeks of age, eyes wide open, and should now beginning to be weened from the momma and eating some good old puppy mush. Photos of him now would be a lot more convincing of his true color. The ones provided are a little fuzzy which also makes for difficulties. Plus some camera's don't really pick up the colors as they should to begin with. Mine isn't the best camera either.

Here's a couple photos of a 3 1/2 week old Puppy from a past litter. She is a Red and White.

Red and White Bull Terrier Puppy (1).JPG
    600 x 338 - 29K
    Red and White Bull Terrier Puppy (2).JPG
    600 x 338 - 32K
    Red and White Bull Terrier Puppy (3).JPG
    600 x 338 - 33K
    Red and White Bull Terrier Puppy (4).JPG
    600 x 338 - 36K
    Red and White Bull Terrier Puppy (5).JPG
    600 x 338 - 33K
    Red and White Bull Terrier Puppy (6).JPG
    600 x 338 - 32K
    Red and White Bull Terrier Puppy (7).JPG
    600 x 338 - 32K
    Red and White Bull Terrier Puppy (8).JPG
    600 x 338 - 105K
    Red and White Bull Terrier Puppy (9).JPG
    600 x 338 - 34K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you for the info Steve!

We had a feeling he was a lighter brindle and white but with the info we had read it seemed possible that he might be red & white.

We appreciate your opinion and we have attached some more recent pic from just over a week ago for further discussion.
    photo(1).JPG
    670 x 503 - 100K
    Very cute picture! Where are you getting him from? Did you ask the breeder what food they plan on weening the puppies on?
    I think the weening stages are the most fun. I'm sorry but I love watching little Bull Terrier puppies eating mush. Yep they make a mess but so cute to see their belly's get big and round. It's at this time you will notice a lot of growth and development.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I love that video!!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • @ Stoeger he's a cutie!!!!!
  • edited July 2013
    Thank you for the compliments on our little fella everyone.

Steve, we watched your "puppies chowin' down" vids a week ago and loved them!!!

Our breeder is weening him to Diamond Natural Puppy food... We plan to switch him to Victor Grain Free.
  • Hey everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself as well! I'm stoegers mom! That puppy stole our heart from picture number one!!
    Welcome "Stoges_mom". I think you'll find a lot of very good articles in this Forum. We look forward to seeing more photos of your puppy as he continues to grow and mature. He sure is a cute puppy and I can see how you fell in love with him at first glance.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Well "Stoges_Mom" you didn't give birth to him but you'll be his forever mom ;)

Forgot to mention; we also plan to supplement his diet with raw food.
  • Awwee they are precious!! They are all perfect!
  • Spud had the dark line along his back that slowly faded away. He's more fawn and white now then ever before. Be ready as this guy gets a walk a day following by 1-2 visits to the dog park. He's an energy ball but I'd do it for him any time.
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    I don't know if its used in America but in England, Spud is another name for a potato.... Thankfully your boy only shares color with potatoes... He sure is coming along beautifully.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    Stoeger's Family. We sure are pleased that you'll hopefully be sharing Stoeger's journey with us. We are just crazy about Bully Love Stories... They have more trials and tribulations than a daytime soap, and happier endings than a 1950's western. Keep that shutter popping as soon as he arrives and share, share, share... Good luck!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I actually had that in mind. I was going to name him Sparky until I saw him and he reminded me more of a potato spud. The beer thing never really played a role it was what I felt when I first met him as a pup.

What's interesting is the couple I adopted him from gave me his first set of vaccine paper work at 8 weeks and they called him Spike. Lets say it was easy to get Spud to know his name in about four weeks.
  • We are excited to start the bull terrier journey! Even expecting it to be extremely hard their little faces seem to make it all worth it!
    Oh! Hard it isn't... Frustrating, worrisome yes!.... The main thing you'll need is patience... They are smarter than heck.... And they'll test you to the limit .. But as long as you keep your cool, the end result will be one of the singular best experiences in life.... Be prepared to lose your heart... ( and 3/4 of your life for the first 9 months ) and you will find your best friend ( human or otherwise).... NEVER be afraid to ask, I do all the time, they take more than one viewpoint.
  • All our research has enlightened us to the real challenge we're in for. Luckily for us, we're a single income family and Stoges_mom will have copious amounts of time to concentrate on training Stoeger. With a clicker, hard work, treats, love, bribery and luck we will be fine... Oh, help us, haha! 
  • I'm currently taking time off from work and have the ability to spoil Spud. I got him at 12 weeks and he's now a little past 5 months.

It's been a hard but fun two months. I'm sure you will have fun taking care of your young one.
  • That's great to hear Soapskid!

Stoges_mom isn't afraid of hard work but mix in fun and she will work all day, ha!!!

As usual,  we were in contact with Stoeger's breeder last night. He said they were doing the AKC papers last night and weren't sure what the official AKC color would be. He said Stoge's definitely not brown brindle, maybe red brindle? But that's not a color option through AKC.

He said the pics are a bit misleading because of the lighting, camera, etc.

To quote the breeder "His color is our first and only in 12 years" of breeding. "Definitely awesome". "He is the best color scheme I have ever seen."

Like I said earlier, no matter what color he is, he will be loved by us.

I've attached the most recent pic of our baby Stoeger.
    010.JPG
    404 x 560 - 79K
    010.JPG 79.2K
    He's very cute!
    Well, hopefully the breeder won't mess up his papers
    by depicting him with the wrong color. That seems to happen
    more frequent than people think.I have a feeling the breeder may be a little confused because he or she isn't seeing as many tiger stripes as most brindle's would have. However, from every photo you've provided he clearly appears as a Brindle and White, AKC Code: 059

AKC Bull Terrier Colors.jpg
    700 x 933 - 329K
    EBT Color Codes.JPG
    575 x 501 - 48K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yes Steve, he actually looks like your cartoon for Brindle & White was modeled after Stoeger.

But I know better, as I referenced it over a month prior to him being whelped.
  • edited July 2013
    Hey Stoeger's family! It's great to hear mama will be able to stay home and spend plenty of time working with Stoeger. I am thankful that I get to stay at home also and have lots of time puppy bonding! I promote this puppy training book we found so often I should start seeking compensation! (Just kidding) It is by far the best on the market. It's called "Training the best dog ever" by Dawn Sylvia-Stasiewicz. It's a 5 week (and then some) program for basic dog training. She even has a chapter in there on clicker training. It is available for download on kindle for $9.99 but I prefer the actual book, $14.95, for easier reference. It is amazing how fast they pick things up! Of course all the training in the world goes down hill when Steve is around! Hahaha!! Apollo just loves him so much and gets so excited to see him!
    I'm so excited and happy for you guys!! I hope you'll post lots and lots of photos!!!!!
  • Thanks Apollosmama! We will add that title to our ever-growing Bully book collection (enough to clog a bookshelf).

We will definitely be sharing our little man's growth and development with you folks here on the forum.

The more and more we read through this forum, the more we realize that you guys all love your dogs and the breed at large.

P.S. Steve, upon review of this thread, I noticed that you asked where our pup is coming from. I apologize for my oversight and not answering your question sooner. We're purchasing the puppy from Paul Rogers (Backwoods Bull Terriers) in Chase, MI.
    Oh ok. I've only heard of Backwoods BT's and understand they've been around for a while. However, I've never spoken to them or seen any of their Bullies. I look forward to seeing yours though. :D

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • We certainly considered your beautiful Bullies back when we started our breeders search (6 months ago.)

We decided on Backwoods after hearing of his next planned breeding and much correspondence.

Unfortunately, we had third male pick of that litter and only one male was produced...

So we moved our deposit to the next planned litter. After the male pick ahead of us dropped out, we got moved up to first pick!!!

That's when little Stoge made an appearance and we fell in love.

Mr. Rogers has promptly answered all of our questions (and there have been a lot!!!) and he has sent us pics of our little one every time we've made a request.

From our interaction with him, we trust that he's honest and will provide us with a quality Bully.

We will be picking Stoeger up in person (driving all the way from Upstate NY to MI).

Here are pics of Stoeger's parents.

Dad: Banshee (Brindle)

Mom: Bella (White)

photo(3).JPG
    1529 x 2048 - 300K
    photo(2).JPG
    512 x 768 - 348K
    photo(4).JPG
    1024 x 768 - 148K
    No worries about not contacting us. In truth you'd still be on our waiting list if you had contacted us 6 months ago. Currently we aren't even accepting puppy deposits due to the volume of personnel currently on it.

Again, I don't know much about them at all but hopefully they are health testing all their dogs and providing you with a 2 year health guarantee. I'm sure they are and it's good knowing they are communicating with you well and providing you with plenty of photos.

For as long as Backwoods has been around and the amount of litters they have produced I'm shocked to hear they were a tad confused on the color of the puppy.  His color is the same as the sire Banshee. The momma (Bella) looks like a cute little Bullie too.

You've got a long trip ahead of you to pick him up but it will be so worth it. I'm sure you're as excited as can be and I don't blame you one bit. Bull Terriers are awesome dogs and yours will quickly become a big part of your life.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited July 2013
    I think a very long waiting list was a bit of a bummer for us as we considered you and other breeders.

Not that we were in a hurry but we felt it was the right time to add a canine to our family.

I applaud you on your efforts to concentrate on the quality of the dog you breed rather than quantity for the masses that desire your Bullies.

Backwoods seems to have a number of repeat customers. Their owners' pages are updated quite frequently New pics of customers and their bullies go up both when they pick 'em up and months down the road.

They also offer EBT rescue and have successfully adopted dogs out to suitable homes (the hard part). As I mentioned in the Detroit thread, I have a soft-spot for rescued BTs because my first was adopted from a Humane Society. It doesn't look like they have updated that page in a bit though.

Stoges_mom and I have the time to devote to puppy so we elected to have a dog bred for us. Otherwise we may have considered an older dog from a rescue.

They too offer a health guarantee and yours certainly tops their one-year offering.

I think every breeder brings something a little different to the table. After reading Remer's book, I can appreciate how breeders can evolve the breed. Some of the history of the Bull Terrier was sculpted by different people perfecting the breed in their own way. Some of their differences molded these animals into what we come to expect today. What will the Bull Terrier look like 40 years from now? The changes will be minute compared to what was accomplished earlier but it's still interesting how much controversy still exists in the ranks.

Maybe it's just a leader of the pack kind of mentality that pushes the breeder in each line. Whatever it is, I think it's good for the breed.  

Stoeger's color confusion may be more apparent in person, I dunno? That's why I asked here ;) It certainly seems cut and dry, he's Brindle & White. Although he seems the reverse of his litter-mates (who look identical to Banshee)??? Whatever it is, I enjoy the "mystery". We're inviting this little piece of clay into our home. It's an enjoyable time. A little mystery adds to it.

I've been lucky enough to enjoy one of these Bullies in my earlier life, it's a first for Stoges_mom. It will certainly be interesting to see how us three progress together.

Stay tuned!
  • Can't wait to see this develop. Congrats.
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks Soapskid, here are some more baby Bullie pics.

I don't wanna feel like we're holding any of the experience back, lol.

036_zpsff888e43.jpg
    800 x 600 - 63K
    054_zpsd7806b37.jpg
    800 x 600 - 59K
    060_zpsdd9731da.jpg
    800 x 600 - 56K
    Oh! I think I could just smear some mustard on those two and eat them all up.... They look so yummy!
  • Aren't they just adorable!! We wanted both but we didn't want to get in over our heads with two males! But come on, who can resist those cute little heads!!
    Very cute puppies!

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • The first pic in that trio really made me fall in love with Stoeger.

That little wizard has cast a spell!!!

Let's test Steve's photo-recall skills... What is your prediction of what Stoge's markings will fill out like when he's an adult?

Judging his litter-mates and sire, he will be quite a bit lighter brindle in comparison, no?

009.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 105K
    To be honest, the marking themselves don't change a lot. Many people often wonder if a spot or colored marking with get bigger or smaller with age but they seldom do. The color of the coat usually get lighter and brighter as they get older. I like the markings of your puppy. He has a thick blaze with a white muzzle. Usually Brindle's have black muzzles or at least some black in the muzzle.

That Red and White puppy I posted above (last 3 pics) is a puppy we kept from a past litter -  Karamel. Here's what she looks like 4 years later:
    Karamel - Custom 3.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 500K
    Karamel - Custom 2.jpg
    813 x 650 - 322K
    Karamel - Custom 1.jpg
    568 x 400 - 167K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • His brindle brothers have white muzzles too, although he seems to have a touch more white.

The lightening of the coat with age is what has me intrigued.

I'm guessing he might look like this mini--> http://www.flickr.com/photos/27399890@N04/3361372066/in/photostream/

I think his markings might end up resembling this this attached pup's coloring.
    tumblr_mn3ud4molG1ql6gfho1_400.jpg
    330 x 450 - 47K
  • Just got done doing some shopping on eBay for our little Stoeger...

(2) Premier Clik-R dog Training Clickers

(1) ProSelect Everlasting Double Door Crate w/Divider 36"L x 23"W x 26"H

(1) 32oz. Grizzly Salmon Oil All-Natural Dog Food Supplement

(2) Large Durapet Premium Stainless No-Tip Dog Bowl

(1) Victor grain Free Super Premium Dog Food All Life Stages Formula 30lb.

Obviously, those are the essentials. What else do you folks suggest should be on my next Stogie buying binge!?!?

I'm still doing research on indestructible Bully toys...

• @stoeger my list is VERY similar.. I really want to try the super premium from victor, and your right about waiting list smh super bummer
  • I was able to get everything off eBay, <$250 shipped which I didn't think was bad.

The hardest part was finding a sturdy crate that I felt would be suitable for many years of use.

The local pet stores seemed to just stock flimsy, cheap but priced high junk (bottom line profit seemed to be their only concern).
  • indestructible bully toys I am three years in of holding mine and I still have not found anyhowever some do last longer than others I found the condo last a bit longer but nothing is indestructible for a bull terrier I do not believe
  • eBay has the best deals, I ordered the two door crate for just about 90 Size: 42"L x 28"W x 31"H. Local pet store crates are horrible
  • That was kong toys!!!
  • As for toys and bedding. I'd go with cheap dollar store toys if possible because he will rip them up immediately but do this only under supervision. For bedding try using old blankets is best but its up to you.

I remember buying Spud a nice bed before he was picked up for adoption. The first hour in the crate he ripped it up immediately.
  • OK Leslie, maybe indestructible was the wrong word, lol.

I don't care if the toy gets shredded, just as long as it does break off in chunks big enough to choke on.

My first Bully used to choke on toys/bones/food that my parents gave him. I'd prefer Stogie didn't do the same...

Thanks Soapskid, I've also heard that old blankets are best for his den.
  • Phil, step away from the mustard and the puppy! =)) Soapskid, I did the same thing with toys. Started cheap!!! We've already gone through 3 stuffed doggies, a rubber pig and one stuffed bunny. Apollo has a bed in his downstairs crate but the one in our bedroom is actually pillows with a blanket tucked around them. I didn't want to buy everything puppy sized when I knew he would just grow out of it in a few months.
  • edited July 2013
    Here are the most recent pics of our boy Stoeger!!!
    62620131543610803692.jpg
    1100 x 1100 - 858K
  • Awwwwww!!!
  • Aww! Love the belly in the bottom left photo!!