Skip to content

my new baby Thor

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    8+ hours in a crate Mon-Fri is way too long to leave a Bull Terrier. Most often this will lead to developing health and psychological problems. Far too many Bull Terriers develop stress and anxiety issues if they're cooped up as puppies and young adults. They require activity during the day in order to burn up energy otherwise they can develop bad habits, i.e. tail chasing, aggression, hyperness, phobias, etc.
    My suggestion is to setup an outside kennel run for him or drop him off at a doggie day care while you're at work. Thor is going to need to be able to run around and keep busy especially from the ages 4 months - 24 months. The photos below are a couple ideas for setting him up a kennel to take the place over a crate.

home_picture.jpg
    708 x 550 - 189K
    box-in-kennel.jpg
    280 x 271 - 29K
    20130511093106640.jpg
    570 x 566 - 56K
    DogKennel2.jpg
    325 x 225 - 31K
    Kennel03_101408.jpg
    260 x 252 - 27K
    Powder_River_10_x_5_Dog_Kennel.jpg
    370 x 278 - 28K
    How-to-Build-a-Dog-Kennel-White-Trimmed.jpg
    600 x 400 - 77K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Im very interested in these outdoor runs do you have an idea of how much one would cost or somewhere around a price cus I will very much start looking into putting one up for him here very soon... but trust me I feal very bad haveing to him Thor in there but at the momment thats all I got but I will trie and get one up I definitely dont want any of thoses issues to develop
  • The kong might settle him down for a while after he's crated. The problom of giving him toys or chews is that left unattended he may injest peices. I had my female choke on a peice of a bone and if I would have not been their.... .I literally stuck my fingers down her trachea to release it as she was getting little to no oxegen. 8 hrs is a long time in a crate. Maybe an outdoor kennel or run. Theirs nothing that's gonna keep him busy for that long.
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • @Thor- glad to hear! I doubt he will have any issues then, unless it is a grass allergy-many bullies have grass allergys, very common.

With kongs, it always helps the them to last longer if you toss them into the freezer over night before using them, they last a heck of a lot longer! a frozen Kong for Chimera will last hours-Cesar not so much because he has cracked the kong "code" and can get ANYTHING out of his in less then 10 minutes by chewing it very very hard, then tossing it into the air to hit the floor hard and chunks come flying out.

• Never thought of freezing it!!! Hummmmmm.....
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • Well thank you guys im kinda short on money this month so no runs or kennel till November. .. but really thinking of investing into one and yes konys do sound like a good option till I can get something bigger for him..... yea I try not to leave anything he can choke on that would be my worst nigyt mare.....
  • Thors Halloween costume lol he actually didn't mind it lol
    20131003_194521.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    20131003_194505.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    20131003_194549.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    20131003_194511.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • I just love his body build at only 3 1/2 months B)
    20131003_220855.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    20131003_220848.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    20131003_220827.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • Why thank you thank you... I saw it and just had to have it :D and the first thing that came to mind was BULL SHARKKKKK!!!!!!! Lol it fits him perfectly all around 
    That costume looks great!

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Lol I know I love it to it just sounds so perfect lol and thanks steve... and I just started tapping his ears today... where can I get the gel to build his ears and do vets frown on ear tapping cus I gotta go get his 10 week shots tommorw 
  • His ears taped :)
    20131004_135439.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 104K
    As important as it is to tape the ears to stand up it is equally important to tape the ears so they stand up and straight pointing at the sky vice off to the sides. To do this it may be wise to put a piece of tape bridging the ears bringing them in closer together. Many will often tape a BT's ears when they are already standing just to train the ears to stand straight up instead of angling out.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Well the thing is his ears are standing straight up to the sky but he moves them around like they are naturally standing up but if you think he needs it then I want to do the best possible to get them to where they need to be.. but will the vet say anything or is it natural to take a pup with his ears tape to get a set of shots or should I take it down when I take him out?
  • The only reason I ask is because I dont want no ome to be all like thats cruel so dont wonnabother with tthe hassle of people talking crap
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited October 2013
    Keep them taped up and when people ask why, tell them that he likes to have his ears taped up so he can hear all the dumb questions that morons ask when he goes out in public. That'll make them walk away fast.
    ( only take them down when destroys them, they bother him inordinately, or you get the feeling there's gotta be something growing in there { smell}.... The longer the memory sets in the better.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Yea, Stoeger didn't keep tape on his ears long. Couple hours on then they were off. But we kept doing it. One ear went up pretty easily, and now a couples weeks later his second ear just went up by itself. We got a lot of comments like, oh you cropped his ears?!?! I had to politely say NO, just taped to support them up. You'll prob get a lot of comments but when ppl see it's just tape thy cool off and if not who cares!! :-) but I know whatcha mean! I field a lot of comments when stoges ears were taped, I'm glad we're done with that stage!
  • Don't worry. No one should tell you ow to raise him as long as he's doing well. I've had several people tell me how to raise Spud but at the end of the day these people either are misinformed by the breed or have set ways. You do what's best for him and taping is ears isn't a problem, which a vet shouldn't worry about.
    The only people that would make any comment are those that have no knowledge on the breed or any other breed that require ear taping. Your Vet should know instantly the purpose. In the event he asks why you have them taped just let him know it's because he forgot to tape them the last time you visited his office. :D

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Lol I like all yalls comments and im gonna have to use them when I get dumb questions.... I lost a friend today because she said I was cruel to put up Thors ears like that but I dont care I know what im doing and I learn from the best " all of yall BT lovers" lol and from Internet of course lol the only person I was worried about was the vet I didnt know if they would say anything but yall re assured me thank yall :) im going tomorrow to get his 10 week shot and a check up for him but he through up today so I hope he is alright but thanks again guys and yall made me laugh with the stuff yall said lmbo 
  • Us chilling Thor, myself and my friend
    20131015_210416.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    20131015_210423.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    Thor's looking good. Can't wait to see those ears up!

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you very much steve yea he is getting bigger and buffer cant really see it in pics but in person he is great looking... he is 17 pounds at 14 weeks old and cant wait for those ears to lol he is a stud everyone frwaks out when they see him
  • So whats a average weight and height for a puppy such as Thor and whats the average gain in height and weight
    Height and weight obviously varies depending on genetics as well as diet and exercise. I've seen Male BT's as light as 40 pounds and as heavy as 85 pounds. I think Thor will reach 60-65 pounds.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Thor... I would weigh him once a week and keep a chart... This is mine... Then you can monitor the gain. The actual weight will vary dog to dog, but it's the gain that's important the first year.
    image.jpg
    2362 x 865 - 355K
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I found a used cyclone pen on Craigs List.  Looks just like the fourth one Steve posted.  We only paid $300, which I understand is a steal.  Box stores have the same for around $700. 
  • See Thors parents are both 11 months and they weigh alittle over 60 pounds and from Thors build I think he is gonna be a big boy his musical build is very defined and his paws are huge but as long as he is happy im happy with whatever way he is but it would be great to have a big boy lol thanks steve and phil thanks for the idea I didnt even think of that im gonna start that tomorrow only cus Thor is snoring in my arms and lap right now his snores are weird they sound like gargles lol thanks guys again
  • And diane whats a cyclone pen im sorry im lost on that
  • Both of Thors parents are 11 months? Wow! They're still puppies themselves! A cyclone pen is what Steve had originally posted in this thread.
    image.jpg
    570 x 566 - 118K
  • Yep yep they are both only 11 months but great looking bullies I have pics of them on this thread.... but oh ok I see it... ok I was like huh but im guessing I can make that myself on my computer thats cool tho I like that
  • I'm just a bit shocked that she had a litter that young, she would have been about 9 months when she whelped, and 6-7 months when she was breed. I don't mean to sound like an ass, but I really think whoever breed her needs to get slapped in the face with a book about breeding and common sense. She shouldn't have been breed until at least, at least 18 months. That way she would have been fully mature and it would decrease any chances of injury. I'm glad she and all the puppies are ok and I'm praying that they give her body time to rest and hopefully they don't breed her again until she is of correct age, but I'm seriously praying they don't breed her again, ever. Ok, rant over! Didn't mean to offend anyone and hopefully I didn't offend you or your pup Thor!
    edited October 2013
    Most people would despise the thought of breeding a female at such a young age. I've often wondered why AKC doesn't put strict guidelines on proper breeding practices. It's these policies that others (like the SPCA) cast judgement against the American Kennel Club by saying they are after money and not the welfare of the pets that are registered. I hate to admit it but I can see no reason why AKC would allow puppies to be registered by a breeder that (as an example) bred their 8 month old female to their 7 month old male other than for financial gain. To make matters worse AKC will even register a litter with a younger breeding pair if written confirmation is submitted explaining that the breeding was planned and that the two stated dogs are positively the correct mates of the litter. Let's face it, this policy is bad..bad...bad. The only people who could possibly like this policy and agree with it would be puppy millers and immoral backyard breeders with the mentality of breeding their females as soon as feasibly possible regardless of maturity level, proper growth, and verified health.
    @Thor - I think you're doing a good job with Thor and have good intentions for him. I don't want you to think in any way that I'm bashing Thor by the subject matter I bring up but as a breeder there are certain things that other breeders do that go through my head that enrage me because I know it's things that bring down the health, temperament, quality, and reputation of the Bull Terrier breed. I understand you received Thor at a very young age which another fault of your breeder but please understand there are others on this Forum besides myself that will be quick to take the current age of your puppy plus 63 days of being pregnant and realize just how young the mother of Thor was at the time of breeding if she is 11 months old now. When I realize there's a breeder out there breeding a 7 month old female puppy and quickly selling the puppies at 6 weeks of age it makes me want to punch them in the face. My heart bleeds for Thors mother because I know in 6 months she'll be pregnant again and sadly this will continue for years until either she passes away at an early age or can no longer give birth.
    The only way to prevent breeders from this kind of madness is to develop strict guidlines for registering a litter. AKC could easily change their policies to prevent inappropriate breeding at early ages as well as back to back breedings.
    For those interested, here's AKC's policy on breeding age's: (How many people do you think would agree with it?)

Chapter 3, Section 5 of the Rules Applying to Registration and Discipline reads as follows:

"No dog or litter out of a dam under eight (8) months or over twelve (12) years of age at the time of mating, or by a sire under seven (7) months or over twelve (12) years of age at the time of mating, will be registered unless the application for registration shall be accompanied by an affidavit or evidence which shall prove the fact to the satisfaction of The American Kennel Club."

If you have had a litter registration application form rejected because the age of the sire and/or dam was not in compliance with Chapter 3, Section 5, and you request the AKC to reconsider the matter, you should submit as much information and material as possible.

The AKC would want to know if the breeding that took place was a "planned" breeding. We would also want to know if there were any witnesses to the breeding who are in a position to identify the sire and dam and, if so, statements from those witnesses should be submitted. You should tell us how the bitch was confined during the entire heat period and whether or not there was any possibility of the dam being exposed to any other male during the season in question.

In the case of an overage sire, we would ask whether a veterinarian did a recent sperm count and, if so, that we receive a copy of the veterinarian's findings.

If you own an overage male and you intend to use the dog at stud, we recommend that you have a sperm count done by your veterinarian. If the veterinarian finds that the male is capable of siring a litter you should make several photocopies of his findings, which can then be submitted in the future with applications for litters sired by the dog. We would also recommend that you have a sperm count done every six (6) months thereafter.

After review, the AKC will either accept or reject the application. If accepted, the individual dog registration applications will be mailed to the litter owner.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    edited October 2013
    @Boyda - You beat by a few minutes with your post. However, our thoughts were inline with each other while we were typing.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • At what age would you do the sperm count
  • @bulliesofnc your post was way more detailed, and I appreciate that. I had always thought that the AKC wouldn't register the litter if the dam/sire where so young, what an eye opener! How would someone go about to try and change that policy? @thor I was in no way trying to bash you either, I think Thor is in great hands, but I just disagree with your breeder on a moral level. I know there isn't anything I can really do about it, but I just try to continue to voice my concerns and help educate folks. I am not an master of all knowledge, but I do know some things. Also, I was reading in the early posts on this thread how you thought thors parents might be minis, now you know why, they both are not done filling out.
  • WOW, that young to breed??!!?? At first I just sat there and though, "omg, 11 months is too young" but the way Boyda broke down the time frame makes it disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!! Apollo is 7 months and if he were a female, I couldn't imagine something that small carrying a litter! That breeder needs a huge B-slap!
    @apollosmama - Apollo is 7 months old, a male, and is bigger on average than other male BT's his age. Just imagine the size of an average female at 7 months let alone their maturity level.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited October 2013
    Steve, the first thing I thought when I read Boyda's comment was "OMG, Deuce was 6 months when we moved in". I can NOT imagine her with a litter that tiny. I know little ankle biters are small but it's least it's proportion! At 6 months to a year they need to be goofy puppies themselves.
    @AttibaCooper24 - A Bull Terrier slated for future stud service should be assessed to ensure his personality and temperament are commendable, completely health tested, and have a sperm count conducted between 8 months - 12 months of age. If all these areas mentioned are within proper standards the next step would to have the male BT DNA tested through AKC to receive a certificate of DNA that's recorded into his pedigree. It will be at that time the male BT would be suitable for initiating future stud service. The performance of that particular dog is another question and capability of that male BT becoming a true stud dog is a gamble and depends a lot on how he is raised, how often he's actively breeding or purged on a routine basis, his genetics, and his overall health. There is a big difference between what people call a stud and what in reality is just another male dog. Proven studs hold documented sired litter information on AKC where people can research sired litters, litter sizes, etc.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    @Apollosmama - Very true. She's over a year old now and I still wouldn't think about breeding her.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • See I did not know that and now that yall mention it that is not right to be honest I didnt even think about thst... I was just so happy to get him lol but yea they are both 11-12 months I know its one of the 2 but she dosent breed them much she was saying that they just did but she plans on breeding them in the future...... and I know yall wearnt downing me or Thor yall are just speaking yalls minds :) and thanks for the compliments everyone
  • On another note I got Thors ears up I just hope they stay... tue only thing is that his left ear kinda formed to the center of his head but stands straight up when he is walking around or listening to stuff lol
    20131017_161637.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 4M
    20131017_160952.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    20131017_161057.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
  • With his ear being kinda bent in will it correct its self by itself or am I gonna have to correct it?
  • When I took the tape off stoegers ears they were the same, they will relax more in the next day or so. When I pulled stoges tape off they stayed exactly how I taped them... Like still wrapped around a tampon. lol and they were kinda close together but they relaxed..... And went down a couple times. I hope your pups stay up although we had to re tape stoegers a couple times.
  • Lol ok yea see I didnt know if I messed up or if I screwd his ear all up lol but cool they seem to be standing and still standing hooe they stay up to and thanks
    Awesome!!! His ears look great. Good job!!
    :-bd
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you thank you I tryed my best to get them perfect and there still standing strong :)