Skip to content

The best flea meds poll???

Frontline won't work on Cleo for some unknown reason and I have always used it so I find myself in unknown territory and would like to know what others use??????
Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.

Comments

• Hurry people hurry Cleo says the fleas are biting!!!!!
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    edited June 2013
    Frequent baths with Dawn and monthly Trifexes which treats:
    • Heartworm
    • Intestinal Worms
    • Fleas

We also use Activyl for Tick treatment which kills Fleas as well.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Trifexes is great stuff.

I also like Advantix II- prevents fleas, ticks, biting flies, misquitos and lice I believe. Only downside is it is highly toxic to cats.

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited June 2013
    You know, I didn't know Bullies could get fleas.... I've never seen one on one of mine.... and I don't think it's where we live / have lived... because I know other dogs (like my son's ) have had them...  I always thought it was the short hair... but now I hear, here, that Bullies do have them... wow.... I'm surprised... Maybe it's because they sleep with us.... No, kidding, they don't... they used to, when we were younger and slept like dead people, but now we need every wink we can get....
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I miss sleeping like the dead!!! Brutus I think is allergic to em. You know when when jumps on cause he chews his fur:(  the frontline works on him just not cleo :-?
  • @philsergeant- All dogs can get fleas/ticks. I will say that from experience as dog groomer some dogs seem to attract them like crazy and some pretty much never get them. Your dogs lifestyle (indoors/outdoors) will definitely affect likelihood of them catching fleas.

@ Leslie- Some meds work better for some dogs than others, I'd definitely try Advantix II or ask your vet about trifexes.

• I bought some advantix and we schall c I used dawn dishsoap before I applied it so I'm hoping we have dead flees!!!! Thanks all:) I'm gonna check out the trifexes to because the advantix was more than the frontline:( oohh well I can't have flees on my children!!!!
  • When I lived back east in Upstate NY I always used revolution. It works for fleas, ticks, and most worms including heartworm. One dose does everything so a lot of vets don't sell it, but you can either find a local vet that does or get your vet to write a script and order it online. Also there is a flea spray that you can get from the vet that you can dilute and spray on their underbellies before they run outside in grass that will repel fleas for a limited time and when they lay in your house it will 'rub off' further repelling fleas from their favorite spots. I used to do that on my show Shih Tzus in full coat and worked like a charm. There is also a new oral flea preventative that targets only fleas that my mom really likes and works as well. Fleas are getting pretty resistant to a lot of the most common topicals and Frontline and Advantage have been on the market for awhile unfortunately. Also if the fleas are in your house and breeding in your carpets sprinkle borax in everything and then vacuum it up. There is also a spray from the vet you can spray bedding, mattresses, linens, ect but make sure you do it OUTSIDE that stuff is horrible but totally works!
    edited June 2013
    @Jess_Rozo: I wish there was a one dose wonder that prevented Fleas, Worms, and Ticks but to date I've never heard of one. Revolution doesn't mention their medication preventing ticks which is the same for many meds to include Trifexes which is what I use. Have you used Revolution and witnessed it's affect on preventing Ticks? I'm crossing my fingers you can say for sure it works on ticks because I (along with many others) would love to find an affective one for all medication. Unfortunately ticks are pretty bad around my neck of the woods so preventative medication is definitely required. Please confirm your experience with Revolution as a tick preventative.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I never had a lot of ticks in my area so I can't say for sure. My old vet highly recommended it to me because I was seriously concerned about over medicating my Shih Tzu with the topical + oral solutions that a lot of vets prescribe. We did have some ticks, but I never saw any on my dogs when I use the spray on repellent + Revolution. I always used them in conjunction with each other so I'm not entirely sure if it was the spray or the Revolution that did it.
    Thanks for the feedback Jess_Rozo. I have a hunch it was the spray on repellent that may have been doing the trick for you against the ticks.

In the event there was a product that was truly effective with preventing fleas,ticks, mosquito, and worms they would rule the market.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I totally agree, but we both know the powers that be a pfizer and the other companies would never allow it when they can make the consumer buy multiple products. Unfortunately our dogs suffer because of it especially the smaller ones. I was horrified when I learned the dosage for DHLPP was the same for great danes as the was for shih tzu and when it was being required yearly in a lot of state (including my own) many small breed dogs were getting early onset kidney and liver failure at like 9-10 when they should be living to a healthy 15-18! I could go on all day about dog drugs so I'll end it here :P I spent a lot of time at the Cornell vet school in high school and was blessed with a wonderful mentor; both which showed me the good and ugly side of the dog world. Maybe when I can go back and finish my chem degree I can work on an all in one; I know breeders would love me for it at least!
  • Leslie, when I had my shepherd we lived in the AZ desert and didn't have to worry about fleas. When my husband got orders back to NC I put her on the Advantix II and we never had a problem with fleas or ticks. When we got Apollo, I got Certifect from the vet here and I can tell you I have already pulled 2 ticks and 1 flea off of him. I still have 2 applications left but I am positive I'm going to order Advantix again. I use Petrx.com . I found them to be cheaper than the vets office and all other pet med sites. They also give you free shipping when you spend so much. (Which is easy when you get your flea/ tick and heartworm meds together). Every now and then they even send you a ticket for free flea and tick meds. They have the best customer service. All you have to do is have the vet fax in the prescription for the heartworm.
  • Ok how long does the advantix ll take to work?? I used this last month and less than 4 wks later we have brutus misserable and playing connect the bald spots and poor cleo hanging her head:( I applied it yesterday and Brutus slept with us last night and is miserable itchy:( it seemed to have worked last month but the fleas are horrible in Michigan this year as I am struggling! !!!
  • I'm not really sure how long it would take to start working. I put her on it a month before we got here so she would already be treated. The vet here told us anything you buy will usually wear of by 3 weeks. Not ready to believe that yet. Maybe petsmart sells oatmeal shampoo you can use to help relieve the itchies. You'll have to ask the vet, but I believe you can give dogs Benadryl and I believe it's 1mg per pound.
  • Since its a topical I'm sure it will take some time to absorb but Come ON MAN WORK ALREADY I'm starting to feel itchy for them!!!! I don't want to bath again for fear it will wash it off!!
  • Didn't think of that. Maybe an itch relief spray??
  • Been putting some for people on them poor babies... I might go to vet tomorrow if its not working:( thanks again everyone you've all been sooooo helpful! \m/
  • I sure hope they feel better.
  • Just gave my Brutus a benadryl and I got my fingers crossed Thankyou! !!!!
  • Trifexes and baths with Dawn Dish soap works great for us.
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • That's up next if my current fix don't work!!
  • edited June 2013
    Things can change from one geographic location to another.  Some of the !@#$ can get immune to something after time.
  • It sucks I hate fleas X_X
  • I use a product called Zodiac. I get 48 doses for 50.00 at Revival animal in Orange city Iowa. They are online. I highly recommend them.
    "Blitzkrieg Bullies" - Alexander, AR
  • Thanks Trent I'm gonna check it out. Does it protect against ticks as well??
  • yes
  • Much appreciated info :D
  • I haven't found any live fleas!! Brutus is still ithc but his benadryl is helping and the itch spray:/ cleo you can see them a mile away but brutus I'd black unless their in his white fur. Gonna give it a bit longer then go get the trifexes if needed. I wanna check out that stuff trent mentioned too that. :-?
  • Hi leslie just been reading ohh poor babys sweetie u will also need to de flea the entire house as well all carpet rugs edgeing off floor curtains hoover beds wash bedding and spray every where and every thing its a big pain last time one of my dogs had fleas it took 9 hours of cleaning god what a mission and a ton of swear words lol
  • Awesome on no lives ones!!!!! They just keep getting better now!
  • I only got 2 rms with carpet that's a bonus!!! The only fleas I like are dead ones \m/
  • Not to knock a product I am unfamiliar with, but on the Revival web site there is a review of the Zodiac product that mentions causing seizures in a dog. Just sayin'.
  • Leslie, I just pulled ANOTHER tick off of Apollo!! It was suck right on his poor little face! We're going to have to spray that yard an I have forbidden the kids to take him in the woods behind the house. :((
  • The fleas and ticks are awful this year! We've had a lot of rain here and the mosquitos are awful too....that poor baby:(
  • I found decent reviews but that's disterbing:/ it only lasts 6-7 days though and theirs like 4/5 steps that go somthing like use their shampoo then the topical then the spray..... and so on.... I'm gonna keep researching. I need to get Steve on this one I think. Thanks for the info Xtracho:)

I replied to you first on this post. I use both the products mentioned. I don't have any issues with fleas because I feel Trifexes does a great job. The Activyl works for Ticks but it isn't 100%. Depending on how active your dogs are outside, how dirty they get, and obviously the area you live ticks can be very hard to prevent. From time to time I will still find a tick on my dogs. Ticks are something I have difficulty with here.

My dogs get dirty all the time so I'm constantly having to wash them. I think using the Dawn a lot helps out too because it will kill Fleas on contact if there are any on them. Another thing I use a lot of is cedar bedding. I use cedar bedding in their travel kennels, in their dog houses, and even when weening puppies in a weening box. Fleas, mites, insects, etc do not like Cedar and it's proven to expel fleas. I've heard of many bathing their dogs with cedar oils. To prevent cedar chips from making a mess in the house you can pack the cedar chips in a pillow case (one with a zipper) and use it for a kennel pad. If your Bullies are still at the age where they like to chew on things you may not be able to use it though unless you want to see a big mess in the morning.

In the event I obtain a rescue dog that is rendered to us the first thing I do is bath them twice using a lot of Dawn soap and a good brush. In the event you wish to use a liquid form of flea medication on the back of their neck and rump area this would be the time to use it when the dog has been thoroughly dried off.

If your outside area is filled with fleas that your dogs keeping picking up on, you may have to spray the yard to kill them from the original source.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Steve, we just covered the sandy area in the yard with black dirt to grow grass where the old cement was that should help and their dog bed was made with cedar chips, its a couch ftom Dr. Fosters and Smith however do the chips get old??? I have used trifexes on cleo before with great results but I have always been a fan of the topical as my old pitty was on frontline for all her 14 yrs, I guess they don't make th hings like they usrd to:( Brutus is allergic to fleas and sadly I found one on cleo last night again:( soooo....I'm not a quiter but I quit topicals for dogs goin to the vet as I'm unaware I can get trifexes anywhere else so thanks a million and much appreciated help yet again!!!! Ooohh my doggie doc told me theirs a shot for ticks and it works all year gonna pic his brain tomorrow:)
  • Let us know about the shot for ticks.  I have not heard of one, but I am always willing to learn new things.
  • I use the zodiac groomers pack, but I can't find that review that xtracho spoke about, If you have the link I would like to read it. I would hate for something to happen to one of my babies. thanks
  • Trent I don't know where xtracho found that either, I been looking to.... ok the shot for ticks is called the lime disease vaccine. It costs here in mi. 30 $ for the first shot a boster is needed in 2 wks yup another 30 $ but its yearly from their... we do have ticks here so I'm contemplating it. What your thoughts on the shots every 2 yrs instead of every year. I've read the yearlys aren't necessary every year and that by doing them yeatly we are overmedicating..... just some opinions on this????
  • I live in a high volume tick area. Last year was the worst recorded for ticks ever I believe. This year doesn't seem to be slacking either. I'm in southern MA.

The Lyme vaccine only protects against 2-3 strands of Lyme unless it has changed. There hasn't been extensive research on it but there have been some studies that show some dogs on Lyme vaccine over years that have developed Lyme type symptoms. Lameness in limbs, arthritis, kidney problems etc. Whether its linked is beyond anyone but I wouldn't doubt it.

My vet tried getting it for my guy but I told her I'd pass for now. I dont think the future risk is worth the (possible) reward now. If lyme is caught early it can usually be taken care of from a doxycycline protocol in humans and dogs. Just keep a close eye on them and check them when in woods. Don't forget the neglected areas like tail, between paws and pit areas. Don't let me sway your decision. If it makes you feel more comfortable then by all means do it. Lyme is no joke.

I just use advantix II on him and thats all. I take my pup hiking pretty much everyday. I check him multiple times while hiking then when I get back home. There is never going to be a 100% repellant so I do pull ticks off of him at least a few times. I usually try to avoid the higher grass areas. I couldn't imagine not taking him hiking. It's so much more fun for both of us and other dogs if we run into people. There is no other environment like it to let explore and run around off leash.

Sorry if this seemed fragmented. Was trying to gather all my thoughts and typing this from my phone.
  • edited June 2013
    I appreciate your insight here, I do love my vet but this is his business and I'm still $ for him. I have always used frontline and it always worked with my previous dog but isn't as effective with these guys:( I used advantix and it has seemed to work minimally as well so I broke down and bathed them in dawn and I haven't found any since... I haven't found any ticks either but like yourself we do go hiking in the woods and tall grasses. I surely don't want to subject them to being a guinea pig for possible future issues becsuse I gave them a shot to repel ticks. So I again appreciate all your time in the matter and thankyou for your insight:)
  • Thanks for the info Leslie.
  • Your welcome!
  • What's the difference between Advantage II and Advantix II?
  • I believe it's just a close relation in the names. I do know that Advantix is toxic to cats. Usually the vets will give families with cats the Advantage.
  • Sounds good. They are both Bayer I believe and we do have two cats so I may just get Advantage II. Thanks.