Skip to content

Allergies

Is it normal for Bullies to develop allergies as
they
age. Pumpkin NEVER had any problems until recently. My Vet
recommended Steroid shots, it helped but she was so lifeless and sad, so no more of that. 
I have changed her to a no
grain dog food-Nulo dry. I do give her chicken once in awhile, but
then I heard that she could be allergic to that??  She is losing hair
around her tail, and drags her butt on the
ground...which drives me insane..because of course she is going to do it
when I have company.:)  I have been giving her Benadryl twice a day which helps a bit, and it doesn't affect her fun loving personality, but she is still scratching.  Any advice is appreciated. 

Comments

• I thought the whole bum dragging thing indicated worms. I'm no vet, this is just what I heard from someone who probably knows no better
  • I checked that out before the steroid shot. 
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited January 2017
    Perhaps you mentioned how old she was somewhere else, but however old, you need undo whatever that period of grain-filled food has weakened her. If you get her on the right diet , with time, you can bolster her resistance to allergies and help the hair loss etc. It would be rare that she would be allergic to chicken, beef and fish can be more likely, but it's not impossible. Typically you would spend the first 18 months experimenting as to what foods she did well on and which not. You need good grain free kibbles and some cooked and some raw meat. Plus supplements such as coconut oil and probiotic. Origanum and other ruff age added to their food will help the atoll to remain stifff and this will help reduce the itch-bum syndrom.
    Make all diet changes gradual
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.