Skip to content

Broken nails / claws

I've seen Steve and others tell of instances when a bully may have cracked or lost a claw.
Chooba snagged his on ice this evening and ig bled quite a bit before I got him home.
He acted like a champ until we got home, then the act came off and I could tell it was really bothering him.

Other than cleaning it off, covering with a tapped sock, and a double dose of benedryl for the night anyone have any suggestions ? The quik is completely exposed and it looks like it will be for sometime.
Gonna hit up Google and most likely call the vet in the morning, but any personal notes or suggestions would be appreciated.

tmp_13462-KIMG0487609074095.jpg
2448 x 3264 - 2M

Comments

• My dog had a split nail that separated from the quick, but it didn't bleed. We cut the nail back a bit so it wouldn't snag on anything. We took her to the vet the next day, and the nail fell off on its own before we got there. The vet said she would have just taken the broken nail off so she left it alone and told us to keep an eye out for changes. It was fine and grew back normally.
  • Cyrus did that quite a few times and I was the one writhing in pain!!  It looks so incredibly painful! All I did was clean it up and cut it down so it wouldn't catch on anything and before long it was healed up perfectly.
  • choobachooba Michigan / Missouri
    Chooba stayed at the Vet Thursday afternoon. They removed any loose nail bits but left the base as best they could to keep a track for new growth. Had to put him under to do so, with a second dose apparently because he shrugged the first off. If I'm doing anything that causes discomfort or pain he trusts me unconditionally, if its someone else, not so much.
    Picked him up after work with a bandaged foot, antibiotics, and one stoned bully.

$150.00. meh, cant take it with you, might as well use it on your furry kids.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    $150? Wow, someone found a reasonable vet.... Around here they charge you that just to take a look.
    For things less serious (cut pads etc.) i find this works wonders:
    Dermoplast.jpg
    1512 x 2016 - 398K
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.