Skip to content

Cyrus the "Virus"

Comments

• Cyrus loves fishing :)image
    20151227_081736.jpg
    5312 x 2988 - 4M
  • He looks in deep thought in that first photo, great shot!
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    That looks like Vaal Dam, am I right?

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • @ erikashea - Thanks!  He was most probably pondering about food and toys and where to he was going to run next.

@ philsergeant - If only it was the Vaal Dam!!  Its Westoe Dam,  its one of our local dams.  I am in Mpumalanga but the Vaal Dam is definitely on my bucket list.
    edited January 2016
    I can remember waking up on the banks of the Vaaldam many a Sunday morning with a huge babalas!   I believe we reportedly fished between 2 and 4 am, but I can't remember catching any. But the open fire breakfasts that we had at sunrise were the most glorious that I can ever recall.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • That's when the big ones come out!  Nothing beats a beautiful morning next to a braaivleis vuur on the banks of a dam!  
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    What do you do with the Carp that you catch? They don't eat them over here but I have heard they do in other countries. They are considered a bottom feeding junk fish that doesn't have a good taste.

Then again, in Hawaii the locals think Tilapia is a junk fish and I happen to really like Tilapia as do many others in my area.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    We used to catch a lot of Carp but never ate it, although we'd give big catches to the locals and they'd eat it, they made something like a "fish-cake" with it, mixed with bread crumbs and maize meal. They can get pretty big and they're a great sports fish to catch.
    (not my photo, but just by example)
    fw1384.jpg
    595 x 465 - 106K
  • We catch them here, out of the river and a few creeks for fun.

They pull a lot of drag.

Here is a sizable one we managed to reel in.
    35788_137782532898853_4313692_n.jpg
    376 x 375 - 23K
  • @BulliesofNC - We catch and release.  I'm not keen on keeping the carp, its about the sport of catching and being able to release a big beauty back into the water.  I still haven't got a monster but it will come!

@philsergeant - I have never eaten a fresh water fish and a lot of people do eat them but I'd much rather skip on that.  They'll make Fish cakes or curry fish.  Apparently it is quite tasty if you prepare it right but I'm not going to take a chance..

@Stoeger - Are you from SA?  River carp puts up a bigger fight than the ones coming from the dam but every now and again you get one that just takes off making the reel scream and when you land it its a small one, or it takes the bait without you noticing and then is a big one!  How much did that one weigh?  Looks to be about 7kg+

PS:  Now we know, EBT's and fishing goes togheter 

:\">
  • I'm not sold on Bullies & fishing going together, haha! Stoeger has not been allowed around treble hooks yet...

I'm from the States actually. That big ol' goldfish came out of the Hudson River in Albany. We also fish Carp from streams in Columbia County south of Albany. I did not weigh that one but it was a bit north of 15lbs. To put things in prospective I'm 5'10" & 250lbs. in that pic.

Definitely agreed with catch an release of these monsters. But I do keep & eat the Trout I catch but they certainly don't come out of the rivers around here.
  • Give it some time, you'll see Stoeger will enjoy the fishing trip.  Cyrus has learned to be patient when the fish is being handled.  When the hook is out and all is clear he gets to say hello and usually gives it a good sloppy lick.  Not that it makes much of a differance since they are quite slimy....

That's quite a big fish!!  My biggest one is about 6.6lbs so I have some serious catching up to do! :)

Trout is on my bucket list, unfortunately we don't have them here.  only in certain reserves and so on.  I prefer my fish from the ocean:\">