Skip to content

Titus

Hello,
I'm a new owner of a bull terrier puppy named Titus!!!! Have only had him for a week! And actually we got him early as he is only 6wks today!!! The lady we got him from is a back yard breeder and didn't know all of the things until the deal was already made!! But as soon as I picked him up went straight to the vet the same data day of course he had round worms and doc said he was anemic!!! Got him some work meds and have been feeding him liver for the iron!!!! But I'm glad to be apart of this board as I know nothing about this breed but love him already!!!
image.jpg
1280 x 960 - 234K
image.jpg
577 x 1024 - 119K

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited July 2015
    Welcome and congratulations.... You're about to have the best experience in life. Tons of reading to do here...if you need guidance just shout.... What's with his right ear.?.. If it's crumpling backwards put a heavy duty breath-right (TM) strip on it.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Welcome to the Forum. Titus looks great!!!!  Thanks so much for sharing the photos. Nothing beats a having Bull Terrier within the family (except maybe 2 Bull Terriers, LOL)

Looking forward to seeing him grow and progress.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yes he is a joy to have around!!! He loves to nap with me as u can tell always has to be on u at all times!!! I was wondering how can u tell a difference between standard bullies and miniatures? I never got to see the parents of Titus! He is 6 wks old this week almost 7wks! His weight is 5lbs is that ok? I know I'm full of questions to want to make sure he is on track!!!
    image.jpg
    960 x 1280 - 246K
    image.jpg
    960 x 1280 - 209K
    image.jpg
    577 x 577 - 82K
    Hard for me to post what's really on my mind without accidentally offending anyone. However, I have to say that your breeder never should have allowed your puppy to go to a new home at 6 weeks old. From 6 -8 weeks is one of the most important time frames for all puppies. This is when they spend time socializing, wrestling, and playing with their siblings. This is critical for their future temperament. I'm not saying your bullie will automatically become dog aggressive but the chances of it are a lot higher especially if he is not well socialized with other dogs. It isn't rare for 6 weeks old puppies to become so depressed and stressed when taken away from their siblings and comfort at such a premature age. This can often cause loss of appetite and health issues due to a drop in their immune system from the load of stress placed on a young puppy. Anyhow, he's in your hands now and I can tell you love him dearly and are taking great care of him. Who knows you may have been doing a good thing by getting him away from that breeder who didn't have knowledge or care to rehome at a proper age.
    The AKC registration papers will depict him as either a "Bull Terrier" or "Miniature Bull Terrier." In the event he is registered through CKC or some other non-reputable registry there's really no telling if he's an actual  Mini or a small framed substandard Bull Terrier. Normally a Standard Bull Terrier is around 6 or 7 pounds at exactly 6 weeks of age. However, the parents of the puppy may not be all that big as adults and it is very possible for a smaller framed Standard Bull Terrier to be 5 pounds at 6 weeks of age. A Mini might also be that weight at that age especially one that comes from bloodlines that produce some stocky framed Mini's with good bone structure and big heads.
    Titus needs some help with that right ear because it is not developing correctly and can turn into a problem unless you start taping and training it. Normally the ears aren't even up at 6 weeks old especially on the larger Bull Terriers. Normally in every litter the smallest puppies will always have their ears up first. The big guys often are growing and bulking up so quick their ears are remain floppy for beyond 8 weeks of age. Obviously those Bullies with slightly larger ears will take longer no matter what size they are.
    Looking at photos of a Bull Terrier to include knowing the weight can not provide determination on whether or not he is a Standard or Mini. If I were to guess I'd say he's most likely a Standard. No Mini breeder would be selling puppies without providing PLL test records and letting each owner know if the puppy was clear or a carrier. Then again, most breeders would even consider letting a puppy leave the litter at 6 weeks old.

I think he's as cute as button. I hope he's received his health check and vaccinations that was due at 6 weeks old. He'll be due for his second set of shots in 2 weeks.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks so much for the advise!!!! Yes I'm glad he is apart of our family now wish I could have saved all of them!!! Yes she was a back yard breeder as they are called I guess? Had the mom and pups out side heck she was feeding the pups adult dog food!!!!! Yes as soon as I got him I took him straight to the vet clean bill of health besides the worms!!!! Round worms is what the fecal test showed so gave him some meds and yes he's had his first round of shots goes back to get check for worms again next week!!! Hopefully they are gone I can tell a big difference in him since the meds he is a whole lot more playful!!! But we also have a chihuahua and he seems to love to have Titus around also!!! I will keep everyone posted on his progress switched him to blue buffalo blue mountain for puppies is that food ok? Also been giving him livers, also sweet potatoes mixed with veggies and fruits!!!
    Blue Buffalo makes really good food. However, my advice for the Bull Terrier breed would be to stick with a grain free food. Blue Buffalo does make one too. It's Called Blue Buffalo Wilderness.

Blue Buffalo Wilderness.png
    600 x 338 - 63K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • :( I am sad to read that this breeder is not taking good care of her pups...just another ignorant person possibly doing damage to the breed and the dogs in her care. That being said, I am glad that Titus is in good hands! You've got so much good information here I wish I had when my girl was growing up. Steve can help you get through these crucial first two weeks.

I also would recommend any puppy food set to be grain free. Titus may not have been receiving the proper diet with his breeder, so that might be why he's little. Don't worry, bull terriers grow at different rates. And technically, even if he is petite, that doesn't mean he's a mini. Many people ask if my bullie is a mini, but she is not.

He's a cutie! Hopefully you'll stick around here and we can all see him grow up. :)
  • Oh yes I'm going to stick around and Titus is here to stay!!!! He is doing really good now I can tell a big difference in him this past couple of days!!!! He really loves his fresh veggies also!!!!
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 752K
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 843K
    How is that ear coming along
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • No not yet need to pick one up do I put it on the outside of his ear right? I tried the video that bullies of NC posted but he just pulls it off of his ear!! But other than that he's doing really good has gotten bigger seems like!! But he is eating a whole lot better also now!!! I think he's found a new slepping buddy!!!
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • I tried to upload some new photos but it won't post them!!!?
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    Make sure the photos are jpegs and not too big..
    It's hard to see from the photos you posted whether the ear is collapsing to the outside or the inside... That would determine which would be the better placement for the BreathRite strip. But, whatever side holds on the longest. But as soon as possible and remember the " extra strength" ones
  • Ok thanks Titus ear flips backwards so it collapses to the outside I guess?
    Then on the outside would be best... It shouldn't bother him as much as bandages do.... he really shouldn't notice it at all... but if he does, then put it on the inside where he has less chance of scratching it off.
    If the BreathRite strip do the trick awesome if not you may have to tape them as described in the video. If you watch the video you will note that the puppy in the video has the same exact ear problem as your puppy.

Here's the same puppy in the video after two applications of taping.

Joker.jpg
    1200 x 779 - 164K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Ok thanks for the advise going to try it again this week will let u all know how it turns out! He is growing really fast and looks so much better since we brought him home!! Been giving him coconut oil with his food!!
    image.jpg
    540 x 960 - 44K
    He is looking tooooo fabulous..... he is going to be a smart one for sure.... PLEASE hurry up with that ear otherwise you will not get it reversed.
  • Finally have his ear fixed up does this look right?
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    image.jpg
    2448 x 3264 - 1M
  • Can't get the pics to load?
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    image.jpg
    2448 x 3264 - 1M
  • Here is the pic!!!
    image.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 983K
  • Here's another one so I have the tape right?
    image.jpg
    640 x 852 - 225K
    edited July 2015
    Man he is a beauty! (Is that floor to ceiling carpet??!!! wow!)
    The taping is good, but you need to cut the tube shorter or push it up so it is above the ear and not likely for the bottom of the tube to irritate the inside of the ear..... I'd also tape a bridge between the two ears to keep them balanced and stop the floppy one from falling sidewards.
    20150716_104025.jpg
    4160 x 2340 - 4M
    IMG_3434.jpg
    577 x 1024 - 187K
    Fabulous photo!  Where's my ear support Mom!??
    20150717_155221.jpg
    4160 x 2340 - 3M
    20150717_155221.jpg
    4160 x 2340 - 3M
    The taping is incorrect. The tube should be going into the canal of the ear. The tube acts as a base for the ear and tape as well as allowing air to get into the ear preventing moisture. It does not appear as though you are wrapping the ear with enough tape. I'm surprised he doesn't shake the tape off within seconds. Out of curiosity, did you watch the video I provided?

It is important to tape both ears the same way and provide a bridge between them. Even if you are concentrating on one ear it's best to tape both ears so the ears are even, strong, and straight.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I just watched the whole video...I will definitely do both ears and the bridge tomorrow. His ear is standing up now...But it is still not as strong standing as the other ear...thank you for your advise.
    20150719_191720.jpg
    4160 x 2340 - 2M
    edited July 2015
    That's a big improvement and he is going to be such an impressive boy..... Please excuse us for being a pain in the arse... we just love it when a plan comes together and you can post some photos of totally Stud-Titus as he grows up,
    :D
    Did you add Knox Gelatin to his daily intake?
  • I have not added the Knox Gelatin yet. But will be sure to get some tomorrow.. And I don't think you are being a pain...you know a lot more about bull terrier then we do...we can read and research all day long but the real help comes from those with real experience....so I appreciate all the info and advice you can give us!! Titus is our baby and like our human children we want only the best for him and our other fur and feathered babies also!!!:-)

Is this right? Hard to get a good pic...he is full of energy this morning!!
    20150720_082757.jpg
    4160 x 2340 - 3M
    20150720_083244.jpg
    4160 x 2340 - 2M

Better pic! He looks so sad here...
    20150720_104404.jpg
    4160 x 2340 - 3M
    edited July 2015
    PERFECT!!!!!

I predict success in 24 hours, especially with Knox Gelatine in his food! 

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Great taping job!  That little face is such a killer!!!
  • We have success with his ear finally!! Here are some new pics!
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
    image.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
    image.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
    That's what I'm talking about ~ Success.   =D>  =D>  =D>  

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    edited July 2015
    You haven't been on the site long enough to know what a good mustard smear is,  but I tell you that pup of yours is so gorgeous he is worth a good gollup of Grey Poupon!  ... and what's with the 14 square miles of carpet?, wow, that must take some vacuuming (I hope he is house trained!)
  • Yes he is doing good on potty training!! But his litter was out side so I think that helped us in the long run!!! But he is a good pup so far just have to work with him on the playful biting he does because he gets a little carried away sometimes!!! I think I'm going to sign him up for some obiedance classes!!
  • Only have carpet up the bar area.....lol....and Thank you for all the help and guidance with Titus's ear....Love our baby boy!! :x
  • Lol....this is why it looks like floor to ceiling carpet...hahaha
    2015-07-23_19.16.40.jpg
    1295 x 2306 - 1M
    At least he can't pee on the walls!!!... yet!
    With the biting/ gnawing, you must just show him, in no uncertain terms, the second he starts it, that it will not be tolerated.... you'll be surprised how quickly he learns.
  • edited July 2015
    Mr. Titus this morning...image
    20150724_100317.jpg
    4160 x 2340 - 4M
    edited July 2015
    Now THATS what I call ears!!!! ( and carpet) =D>
  • No carpet on this wall!!! :-) lol
  • Great job with the ear!  He's looking so good!  But I feel like I have to comment on your carpeting!  Is that short shag??

; :)
    In the photos he looks SOOOO well behaved!  But I've been wrong before
    :))
  • Yes he is well behaved really a good pup!!! I was going to ask some of u on here about papers? The women I got him from said there was no papers!!!! Is there anyway I can get papers for him? As I no nothing about the parents or anything now the lady will never answer my phone calls or emails!!
    With registries like CKC and other fly by night canine registrations clubs they often will allow you to submit a couple photos to prove to them your puppy is a pure bred and then they are happy to charge you a few bucks for papers. However, each country has one parent registration club that holds reputation and the others are normally where breeders go to when banned or have corrupt paperwork. In America AKC is the only canine registration with any merit. Unfortunately AKC would never even consider providing you papers for an "unknown" puppy. Chances are the reason you never received papers for your puppy was because the parents aren't even registered.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Do you think I should do CKC or just not worry about it?