Skip to content

Which balls do your Bull Terriers like?

2»

Comments

• Ah bless him mine looks like it's the same size I know I was surprised too it may just of been the sheer fact that she was so over welmed to have a new ball as they've had no toys for well over a month because of precious being aggressive with them I think she fault u sucker now I've got u your not going anywhere lol @Djammy
  • My lad also seems to destroy everything lol loves a rope but always a winner
  • Sophie will deval a rope so it's doesn't last long either when I needed to go out sophie was in a crate till she was 2 as she would eat the the house if left her unattended I'm glad to say I finally have no crates in my house all dogs can be trusted out but I do seperated them all at the moment as I need to get all there behaviour in check .
  • @bigbear1tracey where did you buy the indestructable ball from?  I would love to try one with Rosco, he can destroy anything within 2 minutes too but loves balls!  He likes to push them around the yard, we had a solid hard plastic one but it was too big and tore his nose up so we returned it.  This one looks like a good size.  Does it say what size it is by chance?
  • Hi @RoscosMom I got my one from my vets but a very similar ball u can get maybe even better is called a boomer ball u get these off eBay u must get a big enough size so they can't pick them up ..
  • My one doesn't say what size I have the small problem with sophie she destroys everything .
  • One alternative for dogs who do not reject hard & heavy balls maybe the "West Paw Design Jive Zogoflex ball", if you want to give your dog a hard ball he/she can grab.
    It's available on Amazon, for example, in three different sizes. We've bought the largest size of 3 1/4 in.

I've written a review about this ball in my blog, if anyone is interested: http://www.bullterrierfun.com/west-paw-design-ball/
    In the reviews on Amazon I've read that there were actually a few dogs, who managed to destroy this one.
    But it's definitely one of the tougher toys and the majority of reviewers swear by it. It's actually being advertised as a "chew toy". The 3 1/4 in. size is pretty large for an EBT mouth. But it's got indentations that make it possible for the dog to grab it and cause the ball to bounce erratically.

Djamila does not use hers any longer - it's just too heavy for her and not squeezable at all, which makes it hard for her to catch and carry it around. A dog that likes nudging a ball around may like it. It's not really a toy for inside, especially if your dog likes playing wild. But many balls aren't.

mila_westpaw.jpg
    400 x 300 - 56K
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited July 2015
    That's a great photo Djammy... I have never seen a Bullie that loves fun as much as Djamila loves it... It's like she invented the word!!!
    You have to come over and let her dive in our pool... our two would just look at each other and furrow their brows, and say "HUH?"
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • @Djammy what a fantastic photo awesome I have seen this ball myself so I will now purchase
  • Thank you guys!
    I have like a million photos of Djamila. Some of them really neat. Love that snapshot photography with smartphones these days.
  • Thanks @Djammy for the info!  I actually have one of the orange squid looking toys from West Paw and it is the ONLY thing that Rosco hasn't managed to tear up.  I saw the balls that they had but wasn't sure on size so appreciate the review.  I am going to order a couple now for sure!
  • My pleasure! Hope the ball is going to work for you. I'd love to hear about it.
  • @Djammy BEST.BALL.EVER.  We have had the new ball for three days now, it is still in one piece (SHOCKED) and Rosco has had hours of play with it every day.  We do take it from him after he starts to get obnoxious pushing it up under chairs or behind things so that we have to come retrieve it for him over and over though, lol.  He LOVES it and we love it too!  This was so awesome, we have wasted so much money trying out different balls and he would destroy it within minutes.  I wish they made a really big version of this that he could push around the yard.  He loves to herd balls around the yard and chase them as fast as he can.  This one is good for a little bit of that in the house but it goes to slow in the yard for him.   Thanks so much again for sharing the info!
  • I'm so happy that I could help some people finding a great toy. We still have our ball in use - about 8 weeks now. Still a great toy! Thanks for the feedback! :)
  • We now have the Gnawsome for three months. Still functional with some slight signs of wear. 

Anyone elses Gnawsome still "alive"?
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    ??? I don't see anything above about a "Gnawsome"?

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • The Gnawsome was my opener - it's that blue spiky ball on my first photo in this discussion - and I think I remember one or the other here have tried it. Therefore my question - just out of curiosity :)

We have also discussed other balls, which are far more durable and less soft. SO I am pretty sure most of these balls are still holding up. But what's interesting about the Gnawsome ist that some BT's seem to "kill" this kind of soft ball within minutes, while some - e.g. Djamila - seem to be juuuuust careful enough with them to get months of fun out of it. :)
  • How does the gnawsome roll? Freyja loves to play fetch with a person, but when she is keeping herself entertained, she likes to take her kong ball and sling her neck to throw the ball to herself. Or roll it with her nose from her bed. When it stops rolling, she grabs it and brings it back to the bed to do again. Boy am lucky to have a pup that plays all on her own. Plus, I think that having the spikes will feel good since she's teething
    IMG_20150909_090633436(1).jpg
    2432 x 4320 - 4M
  • Compared to a Kong the Gnawsome is much less resistant against chewing.
    It's walls are thinner and it is much more squeezable.
    That's probably most important to know when letting a dog play with toys on her own.
    I would strongly suggest to supervise the dog with it first and see how she handles the ball, in case you decide to buy it.
    The Gnawsome is bouncing kind of erratically, because it is not entirely a sphere. It is actually more like a very very rounded cube - don't know how else to describe it. That's fun for the dog.
    Djamila also likes nudging hers and squeezing it a little.
    The ball still holds up even with one or two minor tears, the spikes do not come off too easily. But the ball will not survive aggressive chewing or tearing.

I have written an entire review in my blog in case you want to know more about my experience with that particular ball:
    http://www.bullterrierfun.com/spiky-ball-for-dogs/

Also feel free to ask more questions here, if needed. Others may want to weigh in.
  • Rosco ended up damaging the ball and we had to ditch it after a month of good use.  He enjoyed it thoroughly but was able to start pulling off pieces of plastic so it had to go.  He is back to the xtra large black kong toy for now.  He didn't care for it in the past unless we filled it with snacks but he has been bouncing it and rolling it around lately.  I need to find a bit bigger ball made out of the same material that he can push around but not get a good bite out of.  These guys are TOUGH on toys!

• Rodney loves the Gnawsome ball.  It is the only toy he just likes nudging and watching it roll, biting it while pressing it into my leg so that I'll grab it and throw it, or just walking around with it.  He could destroy it like he has every other toy, but this one he just enjoys playing with and it's lasted longer than almost anything else.  He can take it when he takes a bath or throw it around the yard, too.