Skip to content

Which balls do your Bull Terriers like?

I've tried the search, but not a lot did pop up about toys other than some comments spread out through different discussions about other things. Maybe I used the wrong keywords. I'm German - so who knows :)

I am curious about your experiences with toys - and balls in particular. I guess almost everyone here will agree that many BT's go crazy about balls - that is if they get the right ones. :)
At least, that's my experience. Djamila is pretty picky - I think, mainly because she owns a lot of toys to choose from and I am kind of active with trying new stuff in order to find the perfect toys. That is not an easy task - I think many people here will also agree to that.

A few months ago I learned that many dogs - not only BT's - are madly in love with spiky balls. I had always been hesitant with tose, thought they are way too delicate for a Bull Terrier. For some brands I have tried meanwhile that is indeed absolutely true.
But about a week ago I gave a new 4.5 inch "Gnawsome" ball a try with Djamila. And I have to say I am pretty impressed by the durability of that ball. Has anyone else tried those spiky balls and maybe especially the Gnawsome? If so, how long did it last with your Bull Terrier?
Which balls you have tested your dogs did love the most and which ones lasted the longest?

mila_w_gnawsome_ball.jpg
400 x 600 - 88K

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    One thing that's for sure is that 90% of Bull Terriers love playing with balls. The question really isn't "Which Balls do Bull Terriers like" but "Which Balls can Bull Terriers play with without destroying within minutes."

I think my Bullies would LOVE to have a chance to play with that soft spiked ball like the one you have illustrated but once they took a break from normal "fetch" and laid down on the ground to really gnaw into it the balls would be in pieces within seconds.

My preference for playing fetch is using either a Kong Ball or Jelly Bean. They love them both and both are near impossible to destroy. I had to say "near" impossible because there is NO ball that Nitro won't destroy if he is left unattended with for a prolonged period of time.

Extreme Kong Ball.jpg
    260 x 260 - 9K
    Jelly Beans 01.jpg
    816 x 459 - 78K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Here's photos of how Nitro's Balls end up after a few days of play:

kong ball.jpg
    816 x 459 - 152K
    20140219_193117_resized.jpg
    816 x 459 - 112K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yeah, I think that’s a well known picture to many BT owners.
    Nice artwork from Nitro btw. :)

Sadly Djamila only takes the Kong balls - which I love - as treat balls. Meaning she only touches them when they are filled and once empty they are no longer interesting to her.

You are absolutely right, Steve, the question really is “which ball do they like that can also withstand”.

As with many things I am experimenting with that matter, trying to find the perfect ball-Djamila-ratio :).

I am trying to teach Djamila, which kind of play I do accept, and which I don’t with her toys.
    I closely observe her play and stop her once she starts massive chewing or tearing. As far as that I am probably no different than other owners.
    But I don’t know, if everyone really gets to the point of observing his dog actually trying to adjust her way of playing under their command and avoid certain actions. It’s fascinating!

I would still not presume that either boredom or curiosity will eventually take over when she would be playing unsupervised for longer periods of time. Especially not, because sometimes she falls into some trance-like state, completely focussing on the toy and getting carried away during play.
    But I have also managed to get her to no longer drinking water from the pool by training. And she also seems to respond to a certain point to training with balls.

The problem with balls, however, is not only aggressive chewing and tearing, but the generally strong jaws of the BT in Djamila paired with her special ball-preferences. 
    Like you said, Steve, Nitro would love that squeezable ball, but even just squeezing them a few times is able to render many balls useless after even one or at least several sessions of play by a BT.

So far I have not found THE “indestructible” toy. It is either very well destructible or my dog is just not interested enough in it to play with it - that’s a 100% to prevent destruction :)
    I am no longer even looking for “indestructible”, because I read of many toys labeled “indestructible” that actually wore off the dog’s teeth. Looks like if the toy does not give in sooner or later, with some toys something else will.
    Ugh!

What I am actually looking for is a ball that is able to resist her grabbing and squeezing just for some time. I have no problem with replacing a ball every now and then. I only do not want to buy new toys on a weekly basis. I never leave Djamila completely unattended with toys she really likes - such as balls! - for longer periods of time.
    But my problem so far was that the balls I offered were either omitted after several rounds of play - that’s my experience with the firm balls (West Paw Design, Chuckit, Kong). Or they were just the way she loves them, squeezable and nice, but could not withstand her squeezing long enough to call them even anything close to BT-appropriate.

Djamila likes to play on her own. We are lucky that she is so interested in swimming, because she loves to push her ball into the pool and then chase after it on her own - she can do that for hours. It really drains her energy.
    When it gets boring, she likes to include us by offering the ball for throwing. That may be a critical point at which she could become destructive, if we were not around - out of boredom. I will not take the chance.

I am still on the hunt for a fairly resistant ball that can take her squeezing just for a while. That’s why I started this discussion. 
    Just did not want to write a book for introduction - like I often do :).
    Like I said I am pretty impressed by the Gnawsome so far. But I only have it for about a week now - which is longer than many other balls! But I am really curios how long it will hold up. If you guys have any experience with other balls that are also “squeezy” but can withstand strong jaws for some time, either, I’d love to hear about that.
  • choobachooba Michigan / Missouri
    edited June 2015
    I just ordered the wobble waggle giggle ball this past week. If anything squeeks or makes other odd noises Chooba is always allover it. It comes with 2 balls and I bet both dont last more than a few days combined.

Somehow they got chooba on the commercial ( see video on link ), and he seemed to be enjoying himself so I had to purchase a few for home. But with the plastic tubes inside these are for supervised playing only.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDGUDlIYkRU
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    I blew my last $200 buying just about every other ball for the kids.... always come back to the tennis ball.. they are just about impossible to destroy, cheap and therefore, when they get punctured or shabby, just toss them.

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited June 2015
    I looked up this ball. It looks pretty interesting. The size looks promising. Found one review on Amazon from a BT owner, who said he wasn't so lucky with this ball. However, I don't think that necessarily means you won't be lucky either.
    As it already emerges here, owner's approaches to the matter are different - so are BT's. That actually was what I was looking for to hear about.
    I'm curious how it goes with the ball. I keep my thumbs crossed for you!

You're so lucky! Besides my - rational or non-rational, who knows - fear of the tennis ball's coating wearing Djamila's teeth off or fibers from the coating getting inhaled by her - Djamila has already resolved the issue on her own:
    She just cracks tennis balls like nuts into their two halves. Only then they are good for her - and we take them away. ^#(^

They are good enough for the dog park and a few rounds of fetch there. But sadly in Djamila's case they are no alternative for the prolonged games she plays at home as I described.
    I envy you, Phil! :)
  • There's tennis courts next to Rodney's favorite dog park, so they constantly give the dogs flat balls.  There's so many tennis balls, all we need to do is bring a Chuck-It and he's in business.  That's the only time we let him play with tennis balls because I've heard those aren't great for the teeth long-term.  Kong toys (the black rubber ones) have continued to perform about as well as anything.  It still doesn't take long for him to destroy the toughest Kong toys, though.  One that has held up surprisingly well is the black "goodie" bone.  He grabs it in the center and shakes it instead of chewing it up. 

In his recent BarkBox, he got a Zogoflex Bumi tug toy.  That's held up for tug playing when he's out in the front yard.  We don't let him play with that alone because it would probably be shredded, but he likes shaking it for us to try to take it from him.  The shape is pretty good for keeping our fingers safe.  For supervised play with us, that has been a winner.  I've seen pictures of dogs that have torn theirs, though, so it isn't one that I've let him chew on while he's hanging out, like the Kong or Nylabones.
  • edited June 2015
    I’m really impressed to hear about all those destroyed black and red Kongs in this discussion. None of our dogs has ever killed one of those. Although for Fancy her red Kong was her ONE AND ONLY toy that went everywhere with her.
    I like to choose the balls a little bigger than recommended - if there’s a choice. Maybe that could be a reason? Don't know.
    Also Djamila does not really love very hard balls. I think that's the reason why her black Kong is still in very good shape although she has access to it anytime during the day. We've had it for so long now that I can't even remember when we actually bought it. She has never made any attempt of destroying it. And her squeezing from using it as a treat ball does not seem to have any real impact on the ball.

The photo shows the worst damage she ever did to her "Puppy Kong" (not the red or black one) before I retired it, because it's a little softer than Mr. Black and Mrs. Red. This one she also had for almost a year.

How long does it take for your dogs to take down a black or red Kong? Is it a matter of minutes, hours or days?

We're in about the exact same situation as you are due to dog park/ adjacent tennis court and dead tennis balls in the dog park. That's really convenient. And just like you we do no longer give tennis balls to Djamila unless we're in this dog park, where she finds them automatically and in abundance.

I really like the idea of that "BarkBox". Never heard of it before. They seem to include real good quality toys. Dug up some reviews and checked the website. :)
    I especially like that they are promoting shelters through their sales.
    Ok, there are other convenient ways, such as donating at the cash register in pet stores, and that's only one example. But I do not even visit the large pet stores any longer, because they have none of the stuff I am feeding or giving to my dog.

For now I sadly can’t bring myself to buying toys I have not researched and read about before. But the day may come that I’m getting sick of that.
    For people who don't like to spend their time with hours of research on the internet combing through hundreds of reviews, this sounds like a real cool way to frequently get new high quality toys for their dogs and at the same time even support shelters with their purchase.

What is your overall experience with this BarkBox so far? Are most of the toys suited for a BT? Asking, because they only ask for the dog's size (or to be exact: weight), when choosing a subscription. And 20-50 lb (or did you pick 50+?) sounds like quite a range.
    What about the treats they send? Do they include organic/ grain free and such stuff?

Sorry, I’m so nosy! But I think this is interesting to others, too. 
    milas_puppy_kong.jpg
    600 x 400 - 54K
  • @Djammy I liked the idea of the BarkBox giving to shelters, too.  I got an invitation from a friend that gave each of us a free BarkBox if I subscribed.  Let me know if you want to send you an invitation for a free BarkBox. You can send me a PM with your email if you think you might be interested.  Honestly, though, I'm unsure if I'll continue.  You have to pay for the subscription upfront.  I bought the year, which was $19 each box, plus I paid an additional $9 or $10 for an extra toy.  That is $30 a month! 

This month's theme was garden party.  It included a plush bee with a squeaker and crinkly plastic inside. I can't let him play with that unsupervised.  It will be shredded in minutes.  What did provide a big laugh was that he tore of the stinger first within a few minutes.  It was funny how it was almost like a real bee that lost its stinger, hahaha! 

It included a really nice plush that has held up.  It's a caterpillar that had squeakers sewn into each segment.  That has held up nicely because as soon as he bites it, it squeaks somewhere else and it distracts him from shredding it.

It included some really nice grain-free treats that I hadn't heard about.  It's high quality salmon and vegetables, in a jerky form.  Those are the stinkiest treats ever!  He LOVES these.  I ordered more because of the quality.  I was pleasantly surprised that the treats were grain-free.

It had a single stick of some sort of turkey treat, like a jerky stick or something.  He hasn't eaten it yet.  The Zogoflex Bumi toy that was also in the box is awesome! 

There's enough toys that when he starts to tear up the bee too intensely, I grab the caterpillar and squeak it.  The treats are top quality.  All in all, the BarkBox has been a success for him.  It's not exactly what we would choose for bull terriers, though.  It's hard to find bull terrier toys that are going to last.  Most larger dogs, like a lab or golden retriever, etc, would probably be in doggy heaven with the BarkBox and it would last.  Rodney has loved his BarkBox, but it's more like one-on-one playing with the toys. 

I don't know if you can see the stuff clearly in this picture, but I took this before he tore into the cardboard box.  He didn't even notice anything that was inside of the box until I made the toys squeak, hahaha!  The green Zogoflex Bumi is at the bottom underneath the plush toys and treats.

bark.jpg
    750 x 563 - 68K
  • edited June 2015
    Thank you so much for all of this detailed information!
    I guess you are absolutely right: For less strong and less wild players than BT’s this box is probably a magic gift. It’s a good thing that they also include high quality treats.

I wish this offer was something I could recommend in my blog without having reservations.
    But your description confirmed what I suspected: High quality and high durability not in every case are the same thing - especially not for BT owners.
    Yet, while it may not be for everyone - and not every dog - I still like the idea and their concept.

Thanks so much for sharing! For many the insight in one of those boxes and your information sure is more meaningful than a thousand promises through advertising.

As for the soft toys:
    If you like to give soft/ plush toys to your dog - I don’t know if you know the “Tuffy Toys”.
    They are currently the only soft toys I buy for Djamila, because of their durability.
    There is so much to say about this brand that I have spontaneously decided to use the opportunity of writing a new review in my Blog about these toys.
  • The BarkBox would be a monthly thrill for a dog that isn't as strong, smart, and determined as BTs are.  Still, it is as close as I've come to finding quality items for him that are in a "mystery box" delivered to our home.  They obviously do test the products and find things that are funny for the humans and fun for the dogs.  One month, they had some sort of wrestler toy that had a different fur on the back, like it was a hairy human.  It was hilarious.  The only people that wouldn't find it hilarious are BT people because they've just spent a lot on a toy and their BT shredded it within a few minutes.  It's like watching money going in a shredder.

I checked out the Tuffy Toy blog post of yours.  I will check those out and pick one up.  He loves soft toys, too.  I've tried several brands, including the Kong toys similar to that and he goes straight for the black piping.  Once he gets those teeth in that, it's like unzipping a zipper.  Stuffing is EVERYWHERE!  Thank goodness he doesn't eat the stuffing, he just spits it out and resumes total destruction.  I'll have to check, but I bought a 3-pack of toys that looks like those toys that didn't hold up well.  If it's a different brand, I'll order him the pig.  If it is the brand, I'll probably just let him finish destroying whatever he hasn't finished off yet.

Whenever I see a sale on Kong toys, I order a bunch because we have several spots that he plays and I keep toys all over the place for him so that I don't have to carry toys from inside to outside.  He has destroyed even the black Kong toys within a week of playing with it an hour or two a day.  I contacted Kong the first time and was told they'd be happy to replace it or something to that effect if it was less than a month since I purchased it.  That was the problem, I ordered about 20 at a time and am constantly replacing wearing toys.  I don't buy one toy at a time, so some are going to be here more than a month.  After that, I've been expanding our search for more toys and balls.

A question about the Tuffy Toys, though.  Do you think it might have a similar effect on their teeth like the felt of the tennis balls?  I worry about abrasion from certain tough fabrics and materials. 

I'm such a softy when it comes to toys.  I have even been adding cat toys to my orders when I see funny stuff and give those to my sons' friends that have cats, lol.  How can I resist a miniature Star Wars Death Star or Millennium Falcon on a stick with ribbons?  :)
  • My way of providing a “magic box” to Djamila is to give her the entire package when I order toys for her and let her do the “unwrapping”. She likes to shred cardboard as much as Rodney does. :)

I am still thinking about why it is obviously a little different with Djamila when it comes to destruction. I guess a major point for sure is the fact that we are working at home and are able to supervise a lot. Also being around each other so much does not only give us, but also the dog plenty chances of learning, observing and developing communication further. Plus we have some cameras across the house.

Yet, much of her stuff is just lying around, we are often really busy and concentrated. I would not completely exclude the possibility of Djamila finding the chance to destroy something.

But with her it’s rather funny, for example, even with OUR stuff: She likes to steal and carry around shoes. When she wants to make us laugh or wants us to come to a certain area in the house, she usually takes and carries one of our shoes there. But she has never chewed on any of them. Once I did not notice she had carried one into her crate. Figured it that out the next morning when she had spent the entire night sleeping on it. The shoe was still intact, no bite marks whatsoever.
    I don’t even have to yell at her. Once I am afraid she might mistake any item as a toy, a soft “no” is enough. It will not in every case stop her from taking this item again (that requires a more convincing speech), but she will not destroy it.
    Another more delicate example is our remote control: She loves to grab this from the living room table and bring it to us. Of course, her only carrying it produces little marks on it. But she is carrying it SO carefully. You can just tell that she KNOWS this is something that will break when she gets too rough and we will not like that.
    Also as I already mentioned I am fascinated by the fact that she seems to respond to my efforts of actually teaching her what’s allowed in play and what isn’t. Of course there are toys that are just not able to withstand even the grabbing of a BT. But these toys were or are taken out of the equation quicker than a blink. After all, finding good dog toys is always also a matter of trial and error - even with a non-destructive dog.

I am not telling you these stories to rub my “oh so well-mannered” dog in your face. No, she is a regular Bull Terrier - and a wild one! Ask philsergeant! He has met her, when she went all over me and hubby.
    She also was a wild puppy. Nipping, Bully-runs, Jumping and excessive exercise - except the nipping all still part of her daily schedule.
    Different from our former BT Fancy also: Although she obviously does not want anyone to get mad at her, she has her own way of showing, what she wants to have or in her opinion deserves to have or do. She has a strong mind. So strong that for a few times in the past we’ve gotten into a little fight over balls she did not want to give back to me when playtime outside was over. She growled at me and I had to use the pin method - which makes me feel uncomfortable, but is most effective in such situations - to set the rules straight and show her who is in command.
    So, she brings everyhing to the table that other Bull Terriers do. And I am still trying to figure out, why it at least looks like some things go a little different with her.

As for the Tuffy toys, in my own unprofessional opinion, the fleece fabric of those toys is not comparable with the coating of tennis balls. It does not shed and it is far softer. What makes it so durable after all are the layers below that are sewn to it. Kong produces similar toys, that is correct. That will be one of the next essays in my blog. :)
    But, in my experience the soft Kong toys are not as strong as the Tuffy Toys for one major reason: They do not have such a firm stuffing and therefore provide more working surface. Also the black ribbon framing the seams is not as strong. That makes those toys more prone to destruction. We own a Kong Ballistic Soft Football for comparison.
    This ball is still in use and we’ve had it for quite a while. But it took more observation and work with Djamila to teach her not to take this apart than with the Tuffy Toys.

Of course, another important aspect when choosing toys for a dog is not only its strength, but also their playing habits. Some love tearing, some love humping, some love fetching etc.
    I myself never buy toys that “reek of destruction”, because their overall construction and materials are so fragile that one bite will be enough to expose the enticing filling and I can already tell that they will lure Djamila into taking them apart. Because I know, once her curiosity is awakened, she WILL want to tear and rip, if I don't stop her.

However, one of the main realizations with Djamila is that I no longer believe that destruction is a natural intention of dogs. What I am trying to say is, they don’t grab something, thinking “Oh yeah! I’m going to destroy this!”

Destruction is just the result of them examining the item, being bored, playing with it, finding out that they can do with it, being curios what’s inside, chewing on it, because it is so enticingly soft etc. They just enjoy the moment, because it feels good to examine, tear, chew. I think sometimes also their prey instinct kicks in, they get carried away and just take the thing apart, like a wild animal would do with prey.

So, if they don’t know what destruction is, maybe they are able to learn what it is - and that humans don’t like it with many items - just like they can learn to sit and stay. Just a theory. I am at least trying to do this with Djamila. It is no guarantee that the dog never again will tear a seam or chew a ball to the point of destruction. But I have undeniably noticed that obviously a dog is able to understand what they are allowed to do with toys and what not.
    I don’t know, maybe finding the perfect toy is not the only aspect in the matter after all. Maybe training can actually do some good things, too.
  • Rodney is actually very good about knowing what is allowed to let loose.  He's a rescue, so I'm unsure about his past, but something about cardboard boxes just excites him.  He will sit and wait for the box on the back deck until we let him have it, and then he just goes to town.  Shoes, for instance, he immediately puts it down with a "leave it" command.  He pretty much knows his toys, and that we want him to play on his bed.  I don't have problems (knock on wood!) with him chewing on anything other than what he is given.  I use positive reinforcement constantly.  He doesn't hear "NO!" so I think he kind of tries to understand what I want because I'm not angry or forceful with him, more trying to communicate with him.

What I do notice is he has to have something in his mouth.  If he doesn't have access to his toys, he kind of wanders around and is tempted.  He has specific toys for specific areas, and he is a good boy. 

I've started sticking with things that he can carry in his mouth or tug toys since that's how he likes to play.  If I had a plush that would withstand the jaws of a BT, then I'd like to give it a shot.  I sort of just gave up on it.  I'm going to give the plush piggy a chance. I'll report back after he gives it a spin.  :)

• edited June 2015
    Well, that DOES sound pretty much like our relationship with Djamila! :) 
    Ok, she's different with the cardboard boxes - a little more straightforward with those. :) But she also leaves them alone, if she's told to. Dogs love cardboard! Lots of videos about that.

I'm glad, because I prefer to think that BT's are ALL equal - the entire breed is just one of a kind. I am really happy to have one of those little angels in my household.
    I am also a huge fan of positive reinforcement, because it's so effective and rewarding for everyone involved. BT's love communicating and they are such creatures of habit. It is so satisfying to take advantage of that for the benefit of both. The really seem to be happy about getting directions for their behavior, as long as they don't feel they are being treated unfair.

Reading what you write about Rodney makes me believe that the Tuffy pig could have a real chance with him.
    Today we're into day 10 of daily play with Djamila's Gnawsome ball. It is still in pretty good shape. Only the squeaker has died - oh, what a pitty. :))
    Other than that no tears, no rips - well, under my supervision. :)

Vipproducts (the manufacturer of the Tuffy toys) just answered - I had asked them, if I'll be allowed to use two of their images in my blog essay.
    And they made me aware of their "Dog Toy Tester" program, which is also interesting to check out, because they do not require monthly memberships and they give discounts for the toys.

Here's the link to their program:

Again I realize that I am not really a subscription person. But I will still give this a closer look. It sounds promising with these toys. I am just not sure, if Djamila needs a lot more, because she's got so much stuff already.

• I've ordered Hilda Hippo and Polly Pig from Amazon.  We have Prime, so it should be here in a couple of days.  I ordered the Gnawsome ball, the 4.5 inch, and a Zogoflex Tux over the weekend and those were delivered today.  He loves the Gnawsome ball, and I think it will hold up longer than some of the softer plastic balls/toys.  The price was pretty reasonable and he can grip it and roll it and just have a ball with it.  :)  After listening to the squeaker for only a couple of hours, I can only imagine how sad you were when it got destroyed after you've listened to it for weeks.  :)

The Tux sounds interesting because it has a bowl shape and gave the tip of putting water or broth in it and freezing it for summer days.  I wouldn't have thought about that, but that sounds like kind of a nice idea as long as it wouldn't hurt their teeth.  After he enjoyed the Zogoflex Bumi that came in his BarkBox so much, I decided to give the Tux that is supposedly for strong chewers a try.  I'll let you know since you're writing about BT-approved toys.
  • edited June 2015
    OMG - our BT’s are SO SPOILED! :)

I've taken a picture of the Gnawsome.
    Looking pretty good for a toy that already had to take hundreds of squeezes and gnaws from a BT. Actually no tooth marks yet - impressive! This ball has held up in such great shape longer than any other spiky ball we have tested so far. The squeaker is gone -  still not completely over that  :)) :)) :)) - but it's still safely attached inside the ball. Also a few of the spikes are gone. But even if she'd swallow those, I expect neither the spikes nor the squeaker to be trouble.

Zogoflex aka West Paw Design is another real good manufacturer. They make durable high quality toys. We have the ball in 3 1/4 inch, which even floats although it's solid! And even the manufacturer himself recommends it for chewers. The only negative thing I can say about this ball is that Djamila just does not love the hard balls. So, she has been rejecting it since she has discovered that there are softer balls available.  [-(

With the frozen filling for toys - in my experience - there is not much to worry about. Or to put it in other words: I'd rather be worried about tummy aches from the cold treat than about broken teeth. Not saying it can't happen. But I think there are other toys and treats that pose a far higher risk of broken teeth. Ice is pretty easy for dogs to crack and in my experience when coming out of a treat ball it's usually already broken into smaller pieces.
    I offer treat balls with frozen fillings to Djamila all the time using her black Kong for this.
    Currently I just take some plain yogurt, mix it with some water, fill the Kong and freeze it.
    In this post I explain how I fill the Kongs with two holes safely with a fluid filling, just in case anyone needs some advice on that.
    The only thing treat balls really do is making a heck of a mess when doggie is enjoying them. :)
    But I generously grant Djamila the fun and just clean up after her.

The Tux looks like a great choice, either! Can’t wait to see how it works for you.

gnawsome_after_10_days.jpg
    300 x 400 - 56K
  • Yep, the little soft nubs have already started to fall victim.  The Tux was well-received.  He likes playing tug a lot, so it didn't have areas long enough to grab without worrying about getting accidentally bitten.  That's the only drawback for us.  The hippo and pig are en route, as is a new BarkBox.  Yay!
  • Our Willie will eat any ball we give her except an over inflated basket ball.  Just last week I started finding partial tennis balls she would find on her own.  I walked the neighborhood, warned everyone that would kill our dog.  Across the street the city is working on their water supply.  Have been there for weeks.  So, I walked over & talked to the supervisor.  Told him our problem.  Who is throwing tennis balls in our yard?  Since talking to him, we have found no more balls.  Hmmm, I'm thinking someone had tennis balls in his truck & thought it was fun to throw her a ball. The gong toy she will destroy, and eat.  If she gets a twine tug a war toy, I find rainbows in her poo.  I watch her very closely, as she will eat anything.  Including a leash, that's happened more than one time.  She can throw that basketball in the air & bounce it on her nose while she is in a full run.  She's our 'high energy' girl.
  • edited June 2015
    Sounds like Rodney is having Christmas already :)

I see, gnawing on stuff just seems the best way so entertain themselves for many BT's. I guess in that same situation our rawhide orders would skyrocket.
    But I am now officially convinced that I have proof of Djamila being a hyper and high energy specimen, too.
    About a month ago I started to realize that she seemed to be hungry a lot. Plus when petting and rubbing her, she started to feel like she is loosing body mass. Not one ounce of fat on her body. We started to increase her food servings a little. But a recent check on the scale revealed that she still has ditched two pounds lately! To my relief, she is still happy and does not show any signs of ailments.

And I am pretty sure that I know the reason behind those recent changes: Her daily excessive play of 1-2 hrs in and around the pool with her ball has started shortly before I started noticing the change. Seems to be consuming much more energy than we thought. We've continued to increase the amount of food and will keep doing so, if she continues to shed weight. But she seems to get a little calmer around feeding time already.

WHERE is the menu item "high energy, excessively hyper active dog" hidden in the dog food calculator? :)
    edited June 2015
    I think you need to check your inventory of Red Bulls.. possibly she has been sneaking in one or two a day  :D
    Do you leave kibble out during the day so she can eat according to her energy requirements?  I never like to hear of weight loss... always gives me the shivers. (unless they are overweight to begin with and your rocketship never was)
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited June 2015

Yeah, weight loss is very well able to give me the chills, too. Especially after all of our experience with our last BT Fancy.

Djamila is eating raw food. So she only has access to her food twice a day, for breakfast and dinner. And she leaves her bowl shiny like new after every meal.
    But we have now done a thorough re-evaluation of her diet: calculation of the exact amount of calories in the raw food we give her and again researched the recommended calorie intake for VERY ACTIVE dogs.

Turns out that for her currently really high level of activity she has probably burned a few hundred calories a day more than she was actually eating with her food servings during the last weeks.
    So I think - and hope - in this case, it's just pure math - and that she just needs to eat more. At the moment she is getting extra big servings in order to allow her putting those two pounds back on her hips.
    She looks and feels like her entire physiognomy is just more made to range somewhere between 47 and 50 lb (or maybe even a bit more, she is just 2 years old now) and not just shortly over 45.

During the last days before we have switched to "monster servings" she had dashed out of her crate in the morning towards her bowl waiting for food, even before going outside for her first potty business. She now seems to get calmer with that. Considering that she probably lacked a few hundred calories a day for a while it's no wonder that she was just plain hungry. We have decided to try and now add a serving of high quality kibble to her diet every day, hoping that the dry food will not only bring the desired additional calories, but also sit in her stomach a little longer than the raw food and give her a better sensation of satiety. So she is no longer feeling hungry all the time.

I have also tried - no, more like thought about trying - to slow her down a little with all that running and eager swimming today. But she really must have a hidden supply of those Red Bulls somewhere I can't find them, because despite the current heat she is going through the roof. 
    I'm actually feeling wrong with trying to stop her, because she just has so much fun with her play. It seems to be a good thing for her. It really seems to balance her overall and she is calm around the house. Playtime is her one and only activity at the moment. I guess once we have her calorie intake/burning ratio back on track, her weight will balance again, too.

I just hope, she is not planning on signing up for some kind of Bullympics - not sure if she'd be able to work up an appetite that's potentially eating us out of our home then. Florida - not the worst place for this to happen. But I have to admit, I WOULD miss our AC. :):):)
  • Well, Polly's ear didn't last five minutes. 
    polly.jpg
    750 x 563 - 64K
  • edited June 2015

Yeah that's a weak spot in almost every soft dog toy: sticking out pieces, such as tails, ears, labels etc.

I had ordered the HuggleHounds Humongous Holiday Bone Dog toy about a year ago.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052766DQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

A wonderful toy, but also prime example for weak spot experiences.

I guess I’ve mentioned it before, I like to order big to huge (if available) when it comes to soft toys, because it seems to lower the likelihood of Djamila taking it apart immediately.

You see how large the Humongous is in the photo with Djamila and the toy on her dog bed.

I actually love this toy - Djamila, too - because it is big, made of several inner layers (seemingly more durable than I first thought), no outer seams to tear on, big but moderate squeaker inside (which is still alive after a year!).

Yet it is pretty soft, which is why I am always cautious with recommending this particular toy to other BT owners.

And of course also this toy had typical weak spots in the form of an embroidered label - it's that heart you see in the pictures, that's a hard, embroidered piece. This hard label stood out to much from the otherwise soft rest of the toy/cushion that, as I already suspected when giving it to her, Djamila went for that immediately and started “working” on it.

The layers are holding up pretty well. And I eventually managed to show her how to use this toy without destroying it too fast. I sewed the label back into the cushion - removing it was no option, because it’s embroidered through all layers of the cushion. She still likes to gnaw on the four ends every now and then as you can see. But I think there are still some months of use left in this toy. She even uses it to sleep on it.

Rodney with the piggy is far quicker than Djamila was on those ears. She had torn one after a few months.

I frequently examine all of her toys. If I find loose seams or other signs of destruction, I immediately take the toy away. Today (day 13) I found the first bite marks on her new Gnawsome. NOW it’s getting interesting! :)

Many soft toys I repair by sewing. But there are some things to consider with that.

I usually close seams that start opening pretty soon and before they really open completely. In case I am unsure that repairing of outstanding parts will really help, I simply remove/ cut off parts, such as ears or tails.

I have repaired piggy’s ear though. Tried to take a picture of it, but it just looks like piggy ear mess :)

I often feel the newer the toy, the stronger the incentive to take it apart. In my experience, once the critical “new toy phase” has passed, the incentive to take it apart decreases. Sadly that’s never a guarantee that doggie will go for it again in one bored and unattended moment.

I have to admit that there was a time when I thought that dog toys are made for the dogs to entertain themselves while their owners are busy. But that thinking has changed a lot.

We may be a little lucky that a lot of toys - other than tennis balls and several other balls - seem to last longer with Djamila. But if I have realized one thing clearly then that toys are no way for us to keep our dog busy on her own.
    For this there is far too much observation and interaction involved.
    So today I look at it as a great way of getting engaged with her, divert her attention from our stuff and every now and then being lucky that she is using her things to entertain herself a little without taking them apart immediately. :)

pig_ear.jpg
    800 x 456 - 118K
    mila_w_humongous.jpg
    945 x 539 - 142K
    Wow, this chewing thing is something else!  Our kids chew bullie sticks, gnaw a tennis ball or two... and that's it.  When they were puppies they gnawed a kitchen cabinet or three... But that was it....What am I doing wrong?
  • edited June 2015
    @philsergeant
    We have a piece of "Bullie art" at home, too - a small kitchen cabinet on wheels with a beautiful tooth pattern on all three of the wooden knobs. She did that piece when she was a puppy :) It's the only real toll we had to pay, now that I think about it, for owning a Bull Terrier puppy - collateral damage. :)

I still don't know what it is with the gnawing. I guess nature did just make a little mistake not delivering them with their own e-book readers and hands to operate them. So they just need SOMETHING else to waste their time on. :)
    Btw. Djamila is already putting weight back on. I'm glad it really only were the missing calories, as it seems. Still haven't found those Red Bull cans.
    @Djammy  So glad the weight is coming back on... gr8t 2 hear.... You know I hate skinny chicks ( =)))
    (you know they make a yellow RedBull know... yum, yum, I can't get enough of them)

• What did I do to deserve this: Yellow Red Bull or so to speak Yellow Bull?????
    No, "yellow bull" would be Djamlia doing her business (no.1) against the wind ... *clearing throat*

But on a serious note, she is not only putting weight back on, but also gaining even more energy.
    This morning she almost made me fall over when playing tug-o-war.

Seriously, what's wrong with that dog?! She's up to something! :):):):):)
    edited June 2015
    Text is sometimes so confusing... Red Bull now make "FruitPunch" flavour that comes in a Yellow Can, and I love them... is all.

I know their energy can sometimes be "dangerous"... My wife always stands behind me when the kids romp, run and play, because she is afraid they will knock her on her arse. (Meanwhile if the knock me over I'll probably crush my wife anyway)... They are always just trying to have the best fun but sometimes it means they are totally unaware of their surroundings... and the consequences.
  • Poor Polly is now a 3-legged pig.  :)  She can't hear very well, either, since she has been given the van Gogh treatment. 

• edited June 2015
    Rofl! :) Can't believe how fast Rodney is with amputating. What are you doing now? Do you need to take Polly away or can you mend the flesh wound?

Maybe Rodney is more ready for a "goughnuts" subscription than for soft toys. :)
    I saw they also make sticks and stuff, as he likes tugging so much.
    Never really got to try this brand, but heard a lot of good things about them - sadly also negative things, as with every toy. 
    Maybe someone else here has already tried goughnuts toys and can tell about his/her experience. 

edited June 2015
    No, van Gogh was self-inflicted :-)..  But I think if you get hold of the SPCCT (society for the prevention of cruelty to cuddle toys) they will come around and have a quiet word in Rodney's ear and that will be the end of that.
  • A note on tennis balls -- Quinn LOVES tennis balls. Especially if they squeak. They have been her go-to toy since she was less than a year old. That being said, I can advocate for the wear on the teeth, as Quinn's canines seem to be worn down on the tops. Could this be from other biting/grabbing? Sure. None of her other teeth are worn down. But when she fetches the balls she holds them in the front of her mouth instead of the back, leading me to believe that perhaps the tennis balls could have contributed to this wear. Either way...they tennis balls are here to stay. And we've tried every brand and type and size...and they all eventually fall apart. BUT don't buy tennis balls made for pets. Those suck.

Quinn has had rubber balls...doesn't like them. Quinn has briefly shown interest in soccer balls and basketballs...too big. She doesn't like things she can't put in her mouth. I bought her a giant tennis ball to test the theory - she didn't want it until it was deflated. Now she loves it. Occasionally she will steal another dog's toy at the park, usually some kind of soft rubber squeaky type ball and she loves those a lot...but I have never been able to identify a brand or find one similar in stores. :(

Usually I just walk Quinn through the aisles at the dog stores and she will end up picking a toy. No kidding - she will stick her head into bins and pull out a toy and that's the one I get. She will be sooooooo excited, and play with it for hours getting home. And then it's usually not interesting OR it is completely destroyed the next day. Ah well, at least it was fun while it lasted.

I may have to investigate this Gnawsome ball. How soft it it you think? Easy to squish with humans hands? More resistant like a tennis ball? Quinn doesn't like Jolly Balls...way too hard. But I'd love to find toys to entertain her. That's my life now...figuring out ways to entertain my dog just for a few hours. 8-}
  • I have a feeling Djammy and Quinn have similar preferences:
    Soft, bouncy, rubbery, squeezable and not too big to hold it in her mouth is right up her alley. Hard and heavy not so much.
    I love that story of Quinn picking her toys on her own in the pet store! :)

We have the Gnawsome (I intentionally chose the larger size of 4.5 in) for roughly three weeks now. Played with on a daily basis for several hours every time.
    It’s still intact with some lost spikes and surprisingly few bite marks. No rips or tears. The squeaker died after a week, but Djamila still loves the ball even without it. It’s still safely attached inside the ball, no worries about it to “escape” and get swallowed or leave a hole for Djamila to tear and rip on.
    The ball felt pretty hard at first or at least harder than I expected it to be. However, I was able to squeeze it a little using both hands. I was a little worried at first, because that aspect combined with the fact that I had NOT chosen the “bite-sized” version …. hum :)

But the ball seems to have just enough “give” for Djamila to be able and easily grab/ hold and even squeeze it quite a lot - and therefore love it.
    I feel like the ball has softened a little over the weeks now, but not dramatically. It is still floating well and still very bouncy. The only disadvantage is that it sucks in water when Djamila squeezes it in the pool. Can be a little messy when you store the ball inside. But even when filled 3/4 with water it still floats!

In the beginning Djamila would rather want to play alone with her ball. I was watching her closely and corrected her several times when she became too rough during that time. She tends to fall into a state where she just sinks those huge teeth in the back of her mouth into things and just gnaw and enjoy. That’s the critical point, I try to interfere with.
    Once we’re over that critical phase - provided the toy is strong enough to survive it - usually the very ambitious gnawing subsides a lot. When the “new toy” phase is over, she also wants us to get involved far more often or she will get bored by the toy after a while. When this state is reached, it’s usually an indicator that the toy will live longer, until eventually what I classify as  “natural wear from use over time, different from plain destruction" requires replacement. With some toys that period can easily be one year or even longer.

I wonder how long the Gnawsome will last. Even one or two months would be great! It would mean that for now I’ve found the perfect ball for Djamila. We’ll see about that.

I’ve also done some testing with the tennis balls - the real ones and the ones especially designed for dogs. My experience is almost identical to yours. When it comes to tennis balls for dogs, I actually think that there is some special danger involved: Most of them come with a squeaker, which oftentimes is basically just stuck into the ball and then covered by the felt. Easy to locate for the do. They even come out on their own and that way pose an even higher risk of being ingested or inhaled.

As long as I was testing tennis balls made for dogs, I always removed the squeaker before I gave them to Djamila first. Also all of those tennis balls for dogs I have encountered so far were much less durable than the real tennis balls.
  • Just had the time to test again, Djammy is playing. The Gnawsome has definitely become a lot more squeezable than in the beginning, which makes it seem softer. But it does still hold up well. I think, it may have something to do with the construction and "air-processing" of the squeaker - depending on it being intact or broken.
  • I have noticed with the tennis balls made for dogs that the break down differently. True tennis balls either break right in half at the seam of the rubber or break into other large pieces. The tennis balls made for dogs seems to "shatter" and break into small pieces that could be dangerous for her to swallow or I end up picking up all the shards off the floor. The felt is cheaper as well and will tear more easily. Often times with the real tennis balls, Quinn will break the rubber part but the felt skin will stay in tact. She loves these though because I guess it gives the ball a more crunchy aspect haha

The longest lasting squeaker tennis ball has probably been only for a day, and that was in one of the oversized tennis balls. I am lucky to have a dog that does not like to eat squeakers, I usually just find them on the ground. I'm careful to look for them though because I know if I find them then she has not accidentally ingested them. Always keep an eye on the squeakers.

I'll have to look into the Gnawsome ball. I think Quinn would like it. Her Gotcha Day is coming up, or worst case scenario I guess she'd just have to wait till Christmas. :D
  • edited June 2015
    Well, "4th of Julymas" is right around the corner - I mean if you need a reason :):):)

And big YES to the Tennis ball thing! Those for dogs just shatter and the felt does not hold them together. Dangerous!
    Djamila also likes tennis balls most when they are split in half (the real ones) with the felt still covering them. They are just so gnawy and squeezy. Today she only gets them, if she finds a broken one in the dog park before we find and discard it. Due to the adjacent tennis court there are always plenty of them around there. The best day is when the park got mowed before we arrive, because then most of the balls will be broken or sliced - PAARRTTYYYYY!
    I don't know what that is. I've never seen any of the other dogs in the dog park getting so crazy about broken tennis balls. I guess I'm lucky that she's at least not eating them.
  • edited July 2015
    Just a quick update: The Gnawsome is now in our household for over 4 weeks, played with on a daily basis. So it made it well over the "new toy phase". I am in good hope that we will own this ball even for a little longer. It's another toy, Djamila needed a "manual" for, meaning I had to interfere a few times to prevent her her from destroying it and I am supervising her play (at least take an occasional look). This ball will probably not survive aggressive chewing for long, but it can take some gnawing, grabbing and tearing. Great ball!

To be honest I was hoping for some more ideas on durable toys. But I know how hard it is to find such toys for a Bull Terrier. So, hopefully at least this discussion helps others to get some ideas for their dogs.
  • The one that stands up to roman the best is the bionic range comes in balls and a few other shapes and sizes seems to last and I think in his short time I spent more money than I care to remember on "indestructible" toys the last minutes never mind days or weeks lol
  • Hi Roman,
    thanks for your input!
    I've just looked up the bionic. Reviews about a ball say it is very hard and heavy.
    In your experience is it squeezable at all? It sounds like an interesting idea!
    I've found those balls online during my research, but actually never really considered them.
    Are you able to let your EBT play with it unsupervised?

Sorry, so nosy :)
  • Yeah so far he has played fine no harm at all they do have a weight about them but he seems to like that and they are hard but with little movement in the balls but loosen up a little also the balls still bounce etc the stick type one since it is long is more flexible if that makes sense there not the most fun to play with for him but he enjoys chewing them and there tough as I got him a nylabone but he destroyed it fairly quickly lol
    edited July 2015
    I don't know... Perhaps my kids are just dumb... But they really don't give much of a crap about chew toys... They'll play ball .. But then get bored after 12 or 15 throws, or after a couple of tussles between them they'll say: " ugh! This is just not worth fighting over"... And walk away... The only chewy things they are reall crazy about are Bullie Sticks.... Say that word anywhere in the house and they are downstairs in the laundry room inside 40 seconds... ( that's where their closet is).
  • @philsergeant,
    I guess you said that ironically about your kids being dumb. :)
    Lucky you with two super relaxed dogs!

I guess you were not actually asking for it, but your comment made me think. In my opinion there are different factors coming together why dogs have different levels of chewing urges.

For example, your two dogs have each other. Although I doubt that they are only playing with each other and not enjoying play sessions with you and your wife, I guess they indeed fill one or the other bored minute with wrestling or chasing each other. No need to chew on things out of boredom. They also seemed very balanced when I met them. So maybe they're just not as hyper as Djamila is, for example. I think character plays a role as well as the way they grow up (with or without toys for example).

Also the toy itself is very important. It can be attractive on different levels. Just because they play with it now and then does not necessarily mean they love it enough to take it apart, while other toys are dearly loved and pay for that with quick destruction.

The level of boredom is very important to my mind, either, meaning that many dogs don't necessarily start out as aggressive chewers, when they get a new toy. But when left alone with it, of course they try to figure out what they can do with it. And chewing is a very natural way of exploring the toys (even babys explore everything with their mouth :). Maybe some dogs just have no idea what else they could do with their toy.
    I may be wrong and it's just the general behavior of dogs, but when I watch Djamila playing her games, I see the Terrier in her, preferably playing prey games, chasing, competitive games (who gets the ball first) and of course some gnawing when she's got her "prey".
    If Djamila were a human girl, she'd have wild red curls, freckles and played soccer with the guys. But despite her very agile and sometimes bullheaded nature, she loves to do things right. So she is responding well to my lessons and has learned to play with her toys in different ways with me or on her own without destroying them in short time. I'm glad that EBT's are so smart!

edited July 2015
    Dogs are just different ( not dumb) ;) .... My daughter has a mixed girl dog that loves to play with toys... When they come around here, with her other male dog too ( both rescues) they all 4 play like crazy for hours and when they settle down because they're tired the girl dog gets some of her many toys and wants them to play with her and the toys... Even her "brother", who is more like mine, says... " oh come on now, chill out, leave us alone and forget those toys already"... But she doesn't stop playing.. And gets similar disinterest from the humans most of the time.
  • edited July 2015
    I bought the blue spike ball it lasted 2 minutes @Djammy with a hole nowimage
    20150715_140602.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 3M
  • WOW! Unbelievable! Which one of your dogs did that? I mean, seriously ... TWO minutes? That sounds like razor blades in the mouth instead of teeth :)
    The material of this ball is pretty thick. I just read that the 3.5 inch version is even harder than the 4.5 inch.

I'm sorry that this fun did not really last very long for you. It's amazing how differently dogs play.
    Two minutes ... still stunned... Our Gnawsome is still in use and holds up.
  • Lol @djammy it was sophie one bite and she went straight threw ha ha power jaws .
  • I bought this one today only problem is they can't pick it up she just chasing it around with her nose chaos got bored when it hit the floor it sounds like a table tennis ball just heavier it will never get brokeimage
    20150715_171511.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 3M
    20150715_171511.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 3M
  • It's tricky to find balls that are able to catch a dog's interest and keep it for long, but don't get destroyed.
    This one looks great, although I know Djamila would ignore it, as she wouldn't be able to grab it.
    :-S
    I am constantly wishing that I could "talk things out" with my dog - it would be SO interesting to know what's actually on their minds.
    It's so hard to find "the right stuff" - even harder, as it's different for every dog.
  • @Djammy tonight they have had great fun with this ball chasing around head butting it lol I will take a video in a few days good thing I's if u have a pool it floats to these come in all different sizes this is a small one it would be good if could could read there minds .
  • Wow! I'm surprised about the Gnawsome ball being destroyed instantly.  That has been the best toy so far.  He has the 4.5 inch, which is large enough that he can carry it around without being able to crush it and then shred it.  The one we have is pretty much the perfect texture--enough resistance that he can't flatten it,but soft enough that he can bite into it to carry it around.

He plays with his Gnawsome ball all of the time, and will fall asleep with it.  Did you get the 4.5 inch or a different size?  I wonder if a smaller one allows them to get their mouth to close enough to shred it. 
    rodney 21.jpg
    750 x 750 - 105K
    rodney 23.jpg
    750 x 554 - 60K