Skip to content

Skin problems!

13»

Comments

• He's resting now but tomorrow I will certainly post some more pics, but everything you write about the condition makes me think that you are right, I sp
  • I spoke to his previous owner and he claims he bred tuco and sold him at 8 weeks old, then at 9 months
  • He got a call from a shelter that tuco was there and had an "injury" he says it was to his rear leg and that it was xrayed which showed nothing, I raised the luxating patella which he seemed to be familiar with claimed that his mum had the same issue which was treated by surgery! So I guess if it is passed down by parents it's very possible that this is what tuco has and as I say it sounds just like what you describe. Sorry for multiple messages my phone had a crazy moment and kept sending them half written
  • image gotta love this boy!
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
  • Still can't get a rear end pic tho will have to try when I'm walking him tomorrow
  • image abit of a better one
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • Ah bless @TucoTheBullie he looks like he's saying for god sake mother do u mind not taking photos of my BUTT lol :)
  • He is so beautiful I wonder if he's fur will grow back I hope so steve will be able to give advise on his fur .what a stunning boy .
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    It looks like the reddening may have lessened ? am I wrong?... With the dedication you are putting in I am sure the fur will grow back... in six months he will be a totally different boy.  Do you have something topical to put on the bare areas?  From this angle we can see he still has his goolies... that's pretty rare if they have been through the "rescue" process in the US, do they let them keep them over there?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • No I agree that the redness is fading into a more natural pink colour, I'm hoping his fur will grow back I guess time will tell, I wash him with a medicated shampoo he also has coconut oil in his food as rubbed onto bad areas he also has vitamin e oil in his food. When I say I rescued him I mean from a "bad situation" rather than an animal rescue!
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    His skin and fur is looking better. One thing to remember is that any dog (especially Bull Terriers) react adversely to stress and anxiety. Stress is the number one cause for weakening the immune system and once this happens it opens the door for all kinds of health problems. White Bull Terriers are already more sensitive and prone to skin issues but once the immune system weakens the problem can get bad quickly. It's evident Tuco has been through some rough times with people unwilling to take proper care of him as well as provide him the medical aid he's in need of. I do believe your breeder when he says that Tuco was sold as a puppy at 8 weeks old. However, what he's not telling you is that the person who paid for him obviously found out he was born with a congenital disorder and returned him. Your breeder most likely had him caged up for a long time after he was returned wondering how in the world he was going to offload this Bull Terrier in need of medical attention when he was now a grown dog. I'm willing to bet he never provided necessary surgery for Tuco's mother either and I'm confident you never even had the opportunity to meet the mother. Breeders like this often don't even claim the correct parents to begin with.

If you're looking to put Tuco back into prime condition, which is possible, the first thing you will need to do is correct the issue he has with his right knee. Hopefully his condition isn't bilateral and requires correction to both knees but often both legs are effected. Once he's had his surgery it will make a world of a difference for him and he'll be feeling better both physically and mentally which is exactly what he needs. This itself will alleviate a lot of the stress he's been under which is effecting his immune system. While all this treatment is going on all you need to do is provide him a proper diet and all thee attention he deserves. If you can do this I guarantee Tuco will be looking 100% again. After the surgery his rear legs may not have the structural appearance that would ideal but they will not cause him the pain and discomfort they are now.

I'm sorry for being the one to bring up the medical issue with his leg but it truly disgusts me that breeders and shelters aren't telling you the truth in order to be up front and honest about his needs. In truth if I can detect a problem via your description and a couple photos there's no excuse for those who have assessed him in person and again I'm no Vet. However, I do pay a lot more attention to Bull Terriers than many people would imagine. I see Bull Terriers all the time that simply have bad structure and conformation from poor genetics but are at least healthy and happy. I still praise the owners of their Bull Terriers and keep my comments about the qualities of their dog to myself. Tuco is a nice looking Bullie and if his medical issues can be resolved he'll be a Bullie to be very proud of.

I fail to believe that any x-ray was conducted on Tuco. If so, ask to see the records. If there was an x-ray it surely showed that Tuco had an issue which required correction. I guarantee the original owner of Tuco had an x-ray done which is why he was returned and probably provided an alternate Bull Terrier.

For now I wouldn't be going over board with all the medicated shampoos and other things in attempt to fix his skin issues. You'll get better results just giving him love and attention to ease his stress and strengthen his immune system.

Please keep us posted on his progress.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Just curious if anyone has ever heard of treating stud tail with iodine? A breeder at the Sacramento bullterrier specialty said that she uses iodine to treat stud tail on her dogs and it works. We are trying it and will update if there's a change. Loki has had it on his head and tail since he was 3 or 4 months old. Coconut oil didn't work.
    image.jpg
    750 x 735 - 277K
  • I'll be interested to see if it works for you,my Solo has it on her head,also had it since she was 3 months.good luck and let us know how you get on.
    I've never heard of it either. Please keep us updated on how well it works.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Poor Maya's paws are no better than when we started. The vet had her on three weeks of cephalexin as he believed it to be a skin infection. But it almost looks worse to me. 
    She's been on Orijen for four weeks now, hoping to see some help with that. You can see it's only that one paw, the rest of hers look fine like the second photo. 
    image1.JPG
    640 x 354 - 67K
    IMG_4935.JPG
    640 x 480 - 83K
    Looking at the condition of her fingernails and fur on her paws I'd say she's not in as bad of a predicament as you may think. The redness in between the toes could be caused from yeast build up, friction, or just heat. looking at the second photo I'd be hard pressed to deny her paws as looking unhealthy. Maybe I've gotten used to dealing with a certain amount of yeast that's visual in the toes or nails of about 90% of Bullies.

I do not think Maya needs to be on any meds based on what I'm seeing. Are you using a supplement for her?

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yup, she has been on NuVet since she was a little pup.
  • When my dog's yeast infection was at it's worst, both of her front paws had that build up in between the toes. We were given anti-bacterial, anti-fungal wipes from the vet. No pills and definitely no steroids. Had to wipe in between those toes every day and boy did Quinn hate it. Are you wiping out between the toes at all right now? If not I would start. However, if you do not have wipes and just clean out with warm water, make sure you dry the toes out. Moisture helps yeast grow!

And I am and always will be a huge advocate for coconut oil as treatment and maintenance for skin and coat health. Love it.
  • Do you know what the wipes are called? I think I read about them in a previous thread, and I bought a shampoo with Ketoconazole 1% and Chlorhexidine 2% that I try to wash her paws with. You have to leave it on for 10inutes which I find a little hard ..keeping a puppy still for 10 minutes :)
  • I no longer have the container for the wipes that I used. It is in the other really long thread about treating yeast infections.... I think it is one of the two that you have listed there. So that would be a good start, but like you say, letting a shampoo sit is a lot harder than just wiping.
  • So here is my update about the iodine for stud tail. It seems to have worked! We only applied it a few times and the hair on the top of his head has grown back!
    image.jpg
    750 x 910 - 249K
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    That's great news, first I'd heard of a success with that method... isn't Iodine purple?  Wonder how well that would go on a white Bullie?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • It's like a reddish brown orange color. We only applied it maybe 3-4 times
    That's one for books. It's always good to hear about something new that has shown success in helping out with a Bullie skin problem. Two thumbs up for Loki.  :-bd

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • What happened to @TucoTheBullie not heard anything on here for a bit hope u r both doing well .