Skip to content

Skin problems!

Comments

• It's crazy to me as the guy was actually a kennel club registered breeder and tuco was one of his last litter! Thankfully his kc breeder papers have now expired and I will be contacting them to advise them of tucos problems! I'm really sorry you got out of bed but I know how you feel I have been looking for an EBT for a while he described skin problems which wasn't a problem to me! I see tuco and knew it was more but I still actually paid 200 for tuco so he didn't have to go back with the guy as he wouldn't take any less!!
  • It's fine u don't have to be sorry my heart just broke when I saw the photo it I'd take loads of photos and see if u can report him somehow I don't know if u can I would of done the same in your shoes just got him out of there how old is he we all love our dogs so much it's bad enough if they get skin problems u do all u can to help them but when it's been caused by neglect it's a different story all together .
  • He is 2 this month! I'm sure he had skin problems but the neglect has made them worse! I am already seeing some small signs of improvement in him and his skin/fur time will tell and I believe I can help him out so fingers crossed he will be better soon.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited April 2015
    Awww That last precious photo breaks your heart, you can just hear him saying through his sleep..... "Thank You, Thank you for rescuing me, and you will see I will love you back ten times whatever you shower on me", and he will.  The skin will take some months to heal, but once you get the yeast under control he will show daily signs of improvement, Otherwise he is in good shape (and in good hands!!!)...The stubbornness you will come to love and he will temper it when he sees what makes you happy. The grain free will help immensely, make sure he has no treats that are not just filler.... I see he hasn't been neutered, that's a good thing (and surprising) .  Yes, regularly cleaned bedding, trying not to let him get mucky (that'll come later when he is healthy he'll love mud baths) ... and if he does wash him soon after, keep him off (lying on) grass.... (And kisses don't hurt)... Keep up with the good reporting!!!!

P.S.  $200 is a steal (although the dick should have got zero)... in no time you'll have him looking like he cost $3000!!!!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • That's the plan and hopefully I can find the perfect solution for him, as I say I can see small improvement the redness of the bad areas have gone down already and looking more pink now, what raw diets do you guys suggest?! As for the grain free there are so many available so not sure what to go for also not sure if I can get the same brands as some of you guys as I'm in the uk! I defo will keep you all updated with pictures and messages as and when I can :D
  • @TucoTheBullie I'm in the uk too any grain free royal Caine James welbelove wainwrights I use wainwrights or TOTW u can get delivered to us that's what a lot of the members use on here grizzly salmon oil u can get off amazon too.
  • Well I got him a bag of barking heads fusspot grain free the guy at the pet shop reccomended it to me so thought I'd give it a try, 150g of that and a sirloin steak for him tonight!
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Just looked it up it says it's grain free .
    That's odd when the review mentions the main ingredient as rice with oats as the secondary grain.

Review.JPG
    534 x 378 - 84K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I'm not sure now if I'm honest but the guy did say it was grain free and was one of 2 brands he recommended for me to feed my boy! However he won't eat it anyway so gonna have to try another
  • Instead of wipes I asked for the yeast combat lotion from vet VIRBAC ANIMAL HEALTH
    RESI KETOCHLOR I read on some posts about wipes and lotiina for yeast
    THAYS all except miss is n heat again and poor thing
    Yeah! Salmon, which is not bad but not as the main meat, (makes you think they must be getting all the salmon off-cuts and skin)... (again, not bad, but not best)... And all that grain.... What I think they guy at the pet store meant to say was; "This one is at the top of my highest profitability list".  Good boy Tuco, don't blame you for turning up your nose.... (Hope you got a full refund).... I'd go with Big Bear's recommendations, she has walked your road, or Pure Vita if it's available in the UK.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I went onto wainwrights because I needed a oiler dog food for the puppy skin as they did it in salmon I get the 15 kg bag for I think £42 it is grain free image
    Screenshot_2015-04-10-23-59-06-1.png
    1080 x 1299 - 404K
    Screenshot_2015-04-10-23-58-46-1.png
    1080 x 904 - 284K
  • Just looked for pure vita and no the uk does not sell it why do we not sell the good stuff lol what a bummer ha ha .
    Damn! £42.00 for 35lbs... That's highway robbery....those businesses really rape you over there don't they ... I hope it doesn't cost that much for a human to live!!!!!
  • Royal canine dog food can cost u up to £60 for a 15 kg bag everything is expensive here that's the uk for u .
    It's the system, the businesses and the government pounding on the working class so that they can have cooshy jobs and provide a huge flow of regular handouts to the lazy class... (The reason I left UK 25 years ago) But don't worry, we have that system working in here now too.... Next stop, the moon.
  • It's unbelievable what they charge if I could afford to move out of the uk I would in a shot u can get cheap dog food but I would not dream of putting any of my dogs on it u might as well give them kebab or mc Donald every day tge shit they put in it and still want to charge a fair amount for it some r so bad with colourings everything thing with e factors no wonder dogs r hypo with all the rubbish they put in it .
    It's criminal.... When I lived in the UK a neighbour of mine had recently got into the snack food business... all those puffy chips and things were pretty new in those days and he delighted in telling us that the most expensive ingredients in a bag of "snacks" (chips)... was the packaging, a big bag that cost £ 1.50 had an ingredient cost of 2p.  Dog food is about the same, reject grain (chaff) fillers and artificial flavourers .... It's disgusting, If we had a decent press any longer in the world they would do exposés on these arseholes instead of focusing on Hollywood nitwits.
  • I know it's crazy especially when they advertise it as being good food I think bakers is one of the worse my friend had her dog on it and it's poo came out green from all the colouring how is this stuff good for a dog and it effects there behaviour like having hypo kids bouncing off the walls crazy .
  • Yeah prices are crazy over here! I actually paid £10 for a 2kg bag yet I can buy a 1kg of mixed meat and offal for less than £5.........
  • Vet trip planned for Monday as tuco started limping early and I really don't know why :/ I have felt the whole leg and paw muscles bone etc and he's not showing any sign of pain or discomfort but still limping :( wondering if it's due to his neglect as I did think that the leg was abit "stiff" but wasn't too sure as I have only just got him
  • Aw poor tuco I do fill for him I hope he is ok big hugs for him ..

• Thank you, he's getting plenty of extra cuddles today I'll post more on Monday when I find out what's going on
    Did you check his paw pads, and between his toes?
  • Yea and all seemed fine he is walking ok again today so really not sure what was up 
  • Maybe he never got exersized propaly and he's getting a bit stiff now .I got a good mind to ring this arse hole and give him a piece of my mind on how badly he treated tuco .
    Was it one of his rear legs?

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Sorry to hijack thread but what anti histamine is best for dogs piriton (chlorphenamine) ? Or is there better
  • As far as I know u can only give piraton not the cheap stuff .
  • As far as I know u can only give piraton not the cheap stuff .

Yeah thought that as I have about 30 boxes of that in my house from last dog I had lol handy for this time of year
  • It's good to have I give it to sophie and my pup u can give him a few a day tge vet did say it has to be the proper Pirton as the ingredients r different in cheaper ones did u know u can also give dogs imodium if your dog has the trots lol .
  • It's good to have I give it to sophie and my pup u can give him a few a day tge vet did say it has to be the proper Pirton as the ingredients r different in cheaper ones did u know u can also give dogs imodium if your dog has the trots lol .

Haha no but also good to know by the way check out mvp supplements best in show good alternative to nuvet ? we can get here in uk have a look and let me know your thoughts its in k9 equipment uk
  • Lol u do like to keep me busy ha ha I'll have a look and get back to u if u do ever use imodium just check how much to give as it goes by there weight your vet will give u the amount they normally 2mg a tablet .
  • Ha no problem just feel the nuvet or a more available version here in uk would be a good thing
  • Was it one of his rear legs?

Yeah it was one of his rear legs not really limping now but still stiff

• I'm not sure if it was because of excercise as a friend pointed it out the first day I got him just didn't think much of it, he gets walked twice a day now not massive walks as I didn't want to rush him or myself! Haha so 2 20 min walks for us with runs in the garden too!
    Could you send me a photo of him from the back end so I could see his structure of his hind legs? Did your Vet test him either via x-ray or palpate?

My concern would be luxating patella which may be why he was in need of a new home if the original owner knew about it and didn't wish to pay for the required medical surgery. I would highly encourage you to researching luxating patella in Bull Terriers.

Does he look bowlegged or cow-hocked?  Post some photos when you get the chance.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Could you send me a photo of him from the back end so I could see his structure of his hind legs? Did your Vet test him either via x-ray or palpate?

My concern would be luxating patella which may be why he was in need of a new home if the original owner knew about it and didn't wish to pay for the required medical surgery. I would highly encourage you to researching luxating patella in Bull Terriers.

Does he look bowlegged or cow-hocked?  Post some photos when you get the chance.

after reading up on this it sounds extremely like what he had going on
  • I will get photos as soon as I can of his hind legs
  • image is this photo helpful?
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • @TucoTheBullie my heart breaks for tuco he looks like he has a presure sore maybe he had no bedding in his bed give him big hugs from me have u had a chance to report this person yet .
  • I think steve meant to make him stand and take photo from behind his butt to see how his back legs r positioned from behind @TucoTheBullie .
    ^ Yes, I was hoping for a photo as @bigbear1tracey described. However, looking at his knee and arch within his foot and ankle it's apparent his knee is stiff and tight. I hate saying it but it sure looks like he has luxating patella. I recommend that you have an x-ray done. The breeder who provided him to you most likely knew that Tuco had severe medical issues. Normally a dog in this condition would be lucky to find a home that would be willing adopt him and take on the high dollar investment for required surgery. Not to mention his skin disorder as well. It frustrates me when I hear he was "Sold" vice adopted out with honesty in regard to his health problems. Please keep us up to date on his progress.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • @BulliesofNC what is this condition u think tuco has and why would he have it is it down to bad breeding genetics etc .
  • I will certainly be getting him an X-ray done this all does sound very expensive but the boy needs it so will be getting it! Lucky for him my living costs come free with my job! My car and him are my only expenses! And I will certainly keep you all updated with pictures and messages thanks for all your help!
    I think he has luxating patella. It is a congenital disorder and often requires surgery. This is a problem with the kneecap. On bad cases it's usually easy to notice by eye. The dog will show signs of having a stiff leg and sometimes lift the leg to walk or run. It's very noticeable watching the gait from behind as it will appear as though he is walking abnormal and trying to shift his weight to the front legs while stiffening the rear legs or leg. The legs are often cow-hocked as well or bowlegged. If you look at the one photo above of Tuco's leg you can tell it's stiff and the position is abnormal. There just isn't the proper bend at the knee which would normally cause a relaxed look to the leg. He is actually holding the weight off his right rear leg by use of his other three legs. I'm confident that if there was a video of him walking or jogging you'd see a huge difference in his movement compared to a normal dog.
    Hopefully I'm wrong in assuming Tuco has luxating patella based on what you described and one photo. I'm no Vet but I have seen dogs with luxating patella and everything that you described sounds like he has an issue. Additionally, due to the fact that we conduct a lot of Bull Terrier rescues I've become very aware that 9 out 10 are rendered by their owners for reasons of ill health, bad temperament, aggression, or OCD. Otherwise a good natured and healthy Bull Terrier would have people standing in line to adopt him and chances are the owner would have a friend, relative, or neighbor eager to take the Bull Terrier. I commend anyone that rescues any type of dog because they are often in need of serious training or costly medical aid. With the Bull Terrier breed it isn't often that someone spends a lot of money on Bull Terrier puppy and later down the line feel the need to render it to a shelter because nobody they know has any interest in giving it a home. With other breeds like APBT's or mutts people can often find a healthy dog because they were purchased very cheap or given to them. After the cuteness stage wears off many of these puppies are sadly abandoned or dropped off at a shelter. One of the things that keep the Bull Terrier pure and special is their high price tag because "usually" there is commitment to raise the puppy when high finances are involved. It also usually results in doing their homework on the breed instead of an impulse buy on a cute puppy that's selling for $200 from the back of a pickup truck at the local WalMart parking lot.

Anyhow, my fingers are crossed for Tuco and I surely hope my assumption is incorrect but for those of us who know the Bull Terrier well they will all agree that a Bullie has a high threshold for pain and when they limp or stiffen their leg there's normally a health concern.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    edited April 2015
    @TucotheBullie.... I can only say thank you for the perseverance and promise you that, at the end of the day, you will enjoy the devoted love of an incredible animal.... (Plus the [much less valuable] gratitude and appreciation of all of us here on the forum)... If there is anything we can do to share the load, please let us know. I realize people often use their dog's name as their pen name, so to differentiate the two of you, from now on you will be know as St. Tuco!
  • Thank u for explaining this steve I really hope tuco is ok what is the normal outcome after surgery . What makes me really mad is the fact that people r not truthfull they have no thought to the poor dog not just EBT but any breed they will sell and dog with health problems and serious ones at that they don't care that they animal could be suffering and then what happens if they find a loving home but that person might not be fully aware of the dogs problems and may not be able to afford big vet bills then yet again the dog has to be rehomed or sent to a shelter because the treatment is far to expensive .it's lucky tuco has found a good owner finally who will love him and stand by him .when I got zeus my staff I rescued him off some drug bums wanted 200 pounds so they probably score some more drugs I didn't want another dog at that time but I knew I had to get him away from them he was 4 months old riddled with mange half starved he turned out to be my best friend god love him miss him so much nearly 3 months since he passed .