Skip to content

Will she ever walk!

Will she ever walk one day she wants to one day she doesn't but its more days she doesn't!! Have tried coaxing her with treats and favourite toys and she won't budge!! She so strong!! Coming 23 months when she be a good bubby!?!

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    There are lots of stories on here about stubbon walkers....Bullies have to have a reason,... they are not going to just walk like other dogs.  Find somewhere she loves going, down a trail, on the beach, in the park... or someone she likes walking with, neighbour's dog.... and take her only there until she enjoys walking.... then she might consider street walking.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I hope melo does not give me this problem when it's time to take him outside and walk
    Better start soon!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    So do you carry her when ever you go out? :-S

This may sound cruel to some but a choker chain popped a couple of times will get her walking. 
  • Prong.....
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • Thank you for your comments. I take her in the car to the park somedays, she takes a while to make her walk when I get her out more of a drag and coaxing then something will switch and shell walk. When were in the street sometimes she is perfect trotting, then somedays she'll just sit or lie down if bike goes past, person or dog lets say she'll happily trot towards them then when there gone she stops :-(( . So comparing all walks I think it's on her terms. Have tried with a neighbours dog she just jumps on her and wants to play and the other dog doesn't want to play :-S. I don't want to hurt her and I sometimes feel when I pull her this could hurt her! Yesterday i did pick her up for the first time walking out of desperation put her down and she sat there. i wanted to have a toddler tantrum throw myself on the floor and scream! So stressful :-((
  • @philsergeant I get what your saying so maybe I just take her to the park in the car more often she walks there after much less coaxing but its less stop start.
    Any trails around there?, they like trails... if she likes other dogs, get your neighbour to lend you theirs and put him on a 12 ft lead and yours on a 6ft lead and let her chase him on the walk. Or have your neighbour walk in front.... once they break the habit of not-walking, they actually enjoy it.

• Yes that's where I have been taking her the park has like this wood place she likes not a first mind have to drag her in but once in there she fine just took her there and all was fine until she sniffed a dog off lead and it aggressively growled at her and beau still didnt take the hint! Continued to jump on the dog to play dog continued to growl whilst I kept pulling her off with the lead. I'm glad she does like to play with other dogs but doesn't get it if they don't want to play which has now made me nervous. Will try that with my next door neighbours dog sounds good idea thanks (*)
  • Jai24, I'll be the blunt one. It ain't gonna happen! At least not until she's ready. I finally got Apollo walking with in the past few weeks. He is almost 8 months now. If you can only get her 3 feet past your driveway, then make a huge deal about it and tell her what a good girl she is. Maybe tomorrow she'll make it 4 ft. Just try and do it before she puts the full breaks on. Steve kept telling me "he'll get it, he'll get it, the light bulb will go on" but I was as stubborn as my bullie to listen! Now, I have walking fool! ;) Cars still scare the heck out of him, but I pull him right through it. Go ahead and have a good earth shattering cry!!! It will release some of your stress! (I've had a few) She'll get it in her own time. Until then just grab some extra snuggles on the couch together! :)
  • I am going to ask my own walking question on this thread. When I take Apollo for his late morning walk I make sure he poops before we go. Lately he has been holding it in!!!!!!! I, for some unknown stupid reason, always think he doesn't have to go. He goes first thing in the morning, usually takes a nap and when he wakes up is when I take him for a walk. The last time he went right in the middle of the street. I went back to get my poo bags but it was already run over by a car.....or 2. Now today, I took him out once and he didn't poo so we went back in. Tried again about 20 minutes later and since he still didn't go, I proceeded to walk. As soon as we got to Steve's side he started dropping his load in the street as we walked! Is there any reason behind this? Do they mark their territory with poo as well as urine? At least I brought my bags today! ;) I was pretty ticked off!
    edited November 2013
    ApollosMAMA! I hate to be the one to suggest these things... You can despise me if it helps... But I think that Apollo thinks he can play you.... He appears to want to mentally wrap you around his finger ... Most Bullies want to physically dominate, but mentally too. Methinks, he thinks, you love him too much. Marco believes that I love him more than Isabella. I don't, but I show him more love because, heaven knows, Isabella's mom gives her more than enough love. I have to work hard to counterbalance this. Very hard. Because he attempts to take liberties because he thinks, "what the hell, I'll get away with it, he loves me to death". I think Apollo is one step, at least, ahead of that....he believes he can do whatever he likes, and he thinks he can read your every emotion, through the lead or though the air, and take advantage of you. You need to get madder than hell with him ( well maybe not that mad) when he disrespects you with this behaviour.... He has to get regimented to his poop time and place.. And walk him there until he goes... ( Do you consistently give him the poop command?) You'll never get his digestive system perfect ( who's is?) but the random pooping needs to be an accident, not a plan on his part to see how far he can rattle your cage... When he does he knows you are getting upset and embarrassed, and thinks he's winning, he doesn't understand that you are disappointed in HIM, he senses that you disappointed in yourself and your "control". Do you think maybe that he senses YOU are afraid of the danger of cars, and translates that to himself? Obviously he needs to know to respect cars, avoid them and not panic... And he can only learn that through your emotions of cars coming and going... Big calm, avoidance, back off when required... But he shouldn't sense fear. You have to get him to understand there is no debating that you are in charge at all times. Bullies Rule!!!! But only after us.
  • edited November 2013
    Phil, I'd never ever despise good advice! ;) Especially when it's agreed upon! I think, that because Apollo gets over on my daughter, he thinks he can do it to me too. This jumping and biting me and the leash has to stop too. Today he bit my arm and ripped my leather jacket. Plus my fingers usually get snapped at when i'm trying to pin him down. He just had an episode about 20-30 minutes ago, and as I fought Apollo I prayed "PLEEEEASE let Steve be outside". I just wanted someone else to witness his shenanigans! All these dump trucks are driving down the street while I"ve finally got him pinned down, so I might need back up if someone calls Animal Control on me..... b-( Anyway, he is tucked away in his crate that's covered in a blanket so he can't see me.
    OK, On to the potty issue. The reason I believe he's holding it, is because he used to do it with his urine!!!! I though I had the pissing-est dog on the planet until I realized he was only going little dropplets. All he wanted was to go back outside, so 15 minutes later he scratched at the door again. KNOWING we'd take him out because he'd pee! SILLY ME! Took me a while to catch on to that trick. He does have a potty schedule not so much a command. He even has favorite spots to go! he Goes out about 6 am, goes #1 and #2. Goes out again about 8 for #1 then between 10-11 is when I like to take our walk. He used to #1 and #2 before we went. Even yesterday afternoon I waited until he went and he STILL saved a little itty bitty turn for the road! That's why I asked about marking their territory.
    One of the books I read touched on what you said! About getting away with things because they know you love them. The book said the best way to get them to listen to you is to ignore them. They are so happy when they finally have your attention they'll listen better. Ignoring Apollo means my couch, blankets, sweatshirts and dish towels get shredded! So much for that theory! ;) I think I was just ticked because I was out with him twice knowing he had to go, then walked him anyway. So yes Sir, he totally got over on me.
    As for the cars. I'm so over that. He tries to run into the ditches to hide but I just keep walking, pulling his little arse beside me. His strength shocks me every time. I'm pretty sure last week he pulled my wrist out of it's socket. It burned like a mother and I couldn't move it for about 2 hours. I tried stretching it out and it popped. I almost jumped off the couch. And no I did not go to the doc, and I sure hope my husband doesn't read this because he'll be upset I didn't go to the doc. LOL. On the bright side we did walk just short of 4 miles yesterday!!!! WHOOT WHOOT!!!
  • @apollamama I will be patient as like you say hopefully one day she will just get it at the moment going on trails regularly :>.
    I don't know how to get her to take the hint if a dog doesn't want to play with her she is always jumping on dogs the majority are grumpy and growl at her and she don't take the hint!! :O
  • There's a thread on here about "old dog, New dog". There might be something in there that will help you. The best part about this forum is there's people who have gone through the same things us newbies are! :)
  • Ok, so Stoeger has gone to four puppy classes and the one thing he hasn't done well is heeling. He doesn't walk well at all on the leash in his class or walking down our road. He does the typical bull lay down and won't move thing. So this past Wednesday when he did that his teacher tried something new. We've tried to treat and praise and jump to get him excited to walk but is all ended the same after about five seconds. This past class she said to just ignore and keep walking. He is on a prong and yelped but figured out that if he walked, it doesn't pinch. So today we tried walking down out road....... It worked! We walked the farthest ever and the one time he laid down I didn't look at him and kept going. He yelped and we enjoyed the rest of the walk!
    I thought I'd post this here to maybe see if it helps anyone else! Ill Letcha know if it was a fluke or not on our next try!!! Lol
  • I think I am going to have to break down, swallow my worry, and get a prong. We have a martingale collar that worked fabulous in the beginning. Where before I couldn't get him to walk, now he pulls like crazy. I swear his head would be close to popping off and he'd still pull that last inch.
  • Prong collars look scary, but they are very safe if used correctly. Here's a great article for you! http://leerburg.com/pdf/fitprong.pdf
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    edited November 2013
    This discussion has come up before in the past on a different thread. Here's a couple videos I provided on the subject of prong collars:

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    In typically Bullie fashion, don't expect that'll you'll use the prong collar for two weeks and that'll be the end of it... I think it's more like 6 months.... So, the Leerburg are good quality, you don't want one poorly made with sharp edges to tear the skin, and, if you can afford it, I'd get the stainless steel ones.
    Our training yanks down on those things pretty fearsome .... But they listen! Remember timing is everything, the closer the reaction to the infraction the better.... If you wait the few seconds between the time they do something wrong and the time it peeves you off, the message is lost.
  • I think I'll stick with the Martindale for now then. We've only had that a little over a month. I did watch the first video. That guy was pretty cool. Doesn't make it seem so medieval!
  • @ jai24- the walk should not be on her terms it should be your terms, you should walk and she should follow.Have you tried walking her on a chocker? Bullies are bulletproof you wont hurt her with a bit of pulling. Try not getting to worked up they definately sense it.

iv noticed alot of people talking about "crates" could someone explain ??
    edited November 2013
    Crate =
    dog crate.jpg
    350 x 350 - 68K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • i cant see the pic on my pc just a red cross.i gather its like a cage im just curious when and why you put the dogs in them.Never seen anything like that here in South Africa unless for travelling purpose.
    Sorry about that. I fixed it.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Actually the Bull Terriers love them. Consider it like their own independent dog den. My resort to them on their own and if the door has been shut they'll paw at it until you open it for them. If you don't use one then I'm sure you've noticed your Bull Terrier sleeping under a desk or some other closed in spot that makes him feel safe and secure.
    From time to time my bullies will pile into one vice use their own.

3 BT's in 1 kennel.jpg
    663 x 431 - 65K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • @warren am off to pet shop will get a prong or chock collar and see how we get on :-S
    Yes beau has a crate she loves it just gets in when she wants a nap
  • @Jai24 Get a prong. It has worked like magic on our puppy.

Steve, you're right about the desk being a form of a crate. At the car lot, we do not have a crate for Stoeger but when he spends time there, he camps out under my desk. We even bought him a "work" bed, haha! We stuffed it under my desk and he loves to curl up under there. I've conducted entire car deals, start to finish without the customer even realizing he was under there!
  • I'm so embarrassed I went to the pet shop couldn't see a prong collar so I asked woman looked at me in disgust and said as far as she is aware the are banned her in the uk!!! I thought I am at my wits end with her not walking I'm not asking because I'm mean :-<
    Ah that sounds so cute his little under your desk little cubby hole
  • Order one on line and don't worry I brought but the prong up on FB and I quote was " eeeeeeeek " d at:( owell you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. [-(
  • I don't believe they're banned in the UK... I think shock collars are though...

• Didn't think of getting one online thanks
  • Have just come across many sights where prong collars haven't been used properly and damaged dog neck bleeding think I'm just going to persevere with what I'm doing for now and re evaluate in a few months when she much bigger and should not be walking thank you for everyone's advice ;;)
  • We took Apollo to Petsmart today. Walked him around on one of the prong collars the whole time we were in there. He did very well. We bought it. I'm still not sold but willing to try. I'll keep you updated jai 24.
  • I'm sure I could find a website for every collar ever made that caused damage to a pup when used incorrectly...

But when it comes down to it, you and only you have the last call on what is best for your Bullie.

We're here to pass on advice that has worked well for us and our Baby-Bullie ;)
  • I second that Stoeger.
    I think the first video I posted above provides information on much safer the prong collars are in comparison to a regular collar based on the divided pressure around the whole neck instead of direct pressure to the throat from a normal or choke collar. Yes, one appears more harsh than the other but I think if timely research is conducted negative opinions on the prong collar would change.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • the crates seem cool we just got baskets but they do sleep alot under the desk in the study and under my sons bed,our dogs need full access to the whole house at night for protection purposes.
    Has anybody ever done protection/attack training with their bullies?

@jai24- i cant really comment on the prong collar iv only ever seem them used on large breed dogs,never tried one. iv been around bullies my whole life we have always used chocker chains never had any problems.they sell them at most supermarkets,hardware stores and all pet shops here in SA.You also get nylon type collars that have a chocker on the back it can only close until the loops touch and no further you may want to start with that.
    My male was also hesitant to start walking when he felt the lead pull tight he would stop and refuse to go further.started him out on a harness at first then moved to a chocker.i just walked and pulled him,2 or 3 pulls and he got the hang of it.My female took off like a bat out of hell with whatever collar i used.lol
    good luck
  • I just watched the first video over and then the second video. I have already told the children they are NOT to use the prong collar yet. I have class in an hour so I am going to work on what the second video talked about tomorrow. One of the reasons i liked the martingale was because it sits high on the neck. Being choked doesn't seem to phase him, but havng that collar on today sure did. I was just standing in the middle of the aisle and he pulled forward. It still took him about 5 seconds to realize it hurt. But you could see him step backwards to relieve the pain. His neck is red though. I don't like that. :(
  • I just looked at his neck. Its not red now. :) 
    (contented sigh of relief!)
  • Thank you all for the advise I watched the videos and was inpressed... But just when I taped in prong collars uk all these horror stories come up :(( made me nervous if I put it on wrong she's my baby and the thought of her being hurt is upsetting I'm going to try other pet shops see if I can have a good look and take it from just hoping she will walk without needing to get one. When I walk her now and the times she doesn't want to walk I kinda drag her and her neck gets so red and even that upsets me. I'm a woos. Thanks again for everyone advice. @apollosmama please update me to see how it goes thanks. @warren beau loves her crate would rec even if you leave it open in night so can get in and out
  • I had a Martingale (the nylon type collar Warren is referring to) handmade custom for Stoeger.

A company in the UK made it for me. It's black nylon and the collar is two inches wide.

They are designed for Whippets but I thought it might be good for our boy.

Any and all of his collars irritate him one way or another.

The rolled leather collar applies pressure on a small area of his neck, rubs fur off.

The Kong harness's chest plate rubs his neck and wears fur off.

The prong collar actually does less wear than those two, ha!

We simply switch him from one collar to the next when we notice any adverse effect on his neck since they all seem to wear in different areas.

My hopes are due to how wide this custom Martingale collar is, maybe it won't chaff him ;)

It just arrived today and Stoeger should be here at the car lot soon. I can't wait to try it out on him!

• When should you start the prong collar ?
  • edited November 2013
    I concur with the various collars. One reason why Spud's hot spot got worse and worse was his nylon collar and harness. Switched to prong collar at six months and no issues. I did his first 8 mile hike at 7 months. It did a lot of wonders in less that 4 weeks.

Forgot to mention the hair grew back and although still somewhat noticeable the hot spot has hair and its growing wonderfully.
    edited November 2013
    @apollosmama:  I saw a recent photo of Sergio on facebook the other day with him wearing a prong collar. Katie doesn't come on the forum much any more but you could always contact her via facebook and see how it's working out for Sergio.

Sergio.jpg
    960 x 720 - 93K
    Sergio 2.jpg
    960 x 960 - 156K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Sergio looks big!!!!!! Love bullies man
  • What a hunk!!!