Skip to content

Tri Pod bullie available

Comments

• She looks great!  Does anyone else feel strongly that her going towards and barking is probably wanting to play if her tail is wagging?  Dogs are pack animals after all.  The facility sounds so much nicer than the very few I've seen. 

I'm new on the forum, but you're all some of the nicest, kindest people I've encountered in quite a while.  I hope it works out for you and your family, Xtracho.  She looks like a sweetie.  I know we can't adopt her because we have 3 stories and I don't know how she'd manage 3 flights of stairs throughout the day, but looking at these pictures of her interacting with philsergeant, she looks like an amazing BT.  I can't help but wonder about her owners, and so surprised she isn't microchipped. 

• Really awsome news, on to the dog wisperer!!! I think Xtracho found himself a new furbaby and maya a buddy:) whooooohooooo!!!! Phil can't thankyou enough for going out of your way for this girl I do thankyou from the bottom of my heart!!! I never forget a favor.
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • Well Phil, I cannot say enough to thank you for your time and caring to make that trip and report back. That girl just needs some good old fashioned bullie loving, some proper care and diet, and some bullie buddies to hang with. And if all she did was bark a little and wag her tail at other dogs when they passed by her enclosure? LOL....I wish Maya was so calm around other dogs. And if she loves cuddling and scratching....then she'll get an overdose of that at our home.

So, I am thinking the "other dog intolerant" label is basically cow cookies from where I stand. And based on your observations and interaction she is the typical bullie. I would think after all she has been through she would tend to be more timid than aggressive...at least that's my take.

The pics you posted tell the story pretty much. I mean really, look at that sweet face!

Excellent news on the facility and I am glad that she has her own digs, inside, temp controlled.

So I suppose the next step is the animal behaviorist stopping by for a look see. I will be in touch with the shelter on Monday to get the approval from the director, then contact the behaviorist to set up their evaluation.

Again, I am so very grateful to you for this. If you can think of anything else coming from your visit that is noteworthy please let me know.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    I tell you she is just like a dry sponge needing to suck up on some love... It's hard to think of how she aught to feel about everything she's been through... But just like a Bullie, she's , trusting, needing and rewarding... Imagine if she could get more than a half hours' love every 3 weeks or so.... I know the people at the Humane Society care, but they have sooooooo many dogs there... How much quality attention can she really get..?. Mind you, whoever did her op did a pretty damn good job!
    Please let me know as soon as you know when the therapist is going by....and if there's anything else I can do...
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Will do my friend....you have stepped up beyond the call of duty! Getting ready to send the pics up to Ruth and the girls.
  • Holy hell! Her teeth look just like JB's did and I bet her breath would match! I'm so glad everything is working out for the better! What a great way to come home from a long trip away from your family! She is the cutest thing and I can only imagine what a great Bullie she's going to be for you guys and how much love she is going to give in return.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Wow, I'm playing catchup on this thread. Phil, I give you the utmost respect for the time you invested in visiting with Isis. Excellent review and photos.
    Mark, I know your hopes are high for this to work, and trust me when I say mine are too, but I'm always worried about dog aggression in rescue BT's. I hate being the one to bring up any negative thoughts but based on my experience with other rescues the chances of a rescue BT being good with other dogs is usually slim. About 75% will have problems with other dogs. Many will condone other dogs at first introduction but the problem evolves once dominance is tested on an unsocialized Bullie and unfortunately once a scrap breaks out the difficulties in creating harmony between the dogs becomes a very long and hard task. Leslie got a good experience of this with the BT she offered shelter for that did fairly well for a day or two until both dogs showed their dominance and neither was willing to submit without a fight. That situation isn't uncommon.
    Most all BT's will bark and try there best to interact with another dog especially in that environment so her actions would be hard to analize in that situation. Putting her with another dog face to face might provide a better idea of her true character and demeanor towards other dogs. A BT with good temperament may sniff and show excitement for a minute or two but mainly focus their attention back on you in hopes of receiving more attention from you almost as if the other dog is just there.
    I look forward to hearing the assessment from the animal behaviorist and his methods for analyzing her temperament towards other dogs.
    Another concern I have is whether or not she's been tested for hearing impairment. Solid white Bullies are usually the ones to be mainly concerned about in regard to deafness or impairment. Getting hit by a car raises a concern in regard to whether or not she even heard the car coming or whether she was carelessly running loose and not paying attention.
    I think the facility has a pretty accurate prediction of her age. l too feel she's about 5 years old based on her teeth, nails, prior ear infection, and coat.
    Yes, she might be on below average foods right now that aren't good for her and I'm willing to bet she never was afforded a real good diet. However, her coat and skin looks pretty darn good for her age and the grain kibble she's eating which means she probably has no issues with skin disorders or allergies.
    I like her a lot and I bet she's just begging for love and attention. I can imagine how hard it probably was for Phil to leave and say bye to her. I know it would be for me.
    I have my fingers and toes crossed that things work out and Isis proves to have a good temperament free from aggression and dominance issues. [-O<

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited October 2013
    IM SOOOO FREAKING EXCITED!!!!! :D 8-} I sooo hope she's not aggressive.
    I was really tough to leave. Only made slightly better by the knowledge that they do not euthanize at that center, otherwise it would have been impossible. I wish they would have let me actually have her in the same space as other dogs to see how she behaved, but you know, "Bull Terriers are renowned for how vicious they can be"....and they have their rules.     I couldn't see, unless the other dog(s) were themselves aggressive, that she would be able to actually inflict any damage.... I mean, she gets around, but not well enough to get involved in a fight. But, I am no expert on fight dogs (Thank God, I've always owned Bullies)... so we'll see what "Cesar" says,... I would bet that if it were "the" Cesar, he would believe that if she was pissed off over what has befallen her in the last 6 months, there was a way to rehabilitate her.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Leslie, Phil, Xtracho, Steve you all kick-ass.

The Bullie-Rescue Dream Team working hard to help Isis, she's a lucky Bullie!

I think you are all doing an awesome job tackling this hopeful rescue effort.

With any luck all will go well, if not you're prepared for the worst.

I look forward to the report from the only Dog Whisperer with a better tan than Cesar... the Miami Dog Whisperer, ha!
  • edited October 2013
    I am not going to dwell on the possible negative factors here. And I have confidence in Phil's assessment. The behaviorist will either concur or not. The driving factor here is that, although dog aggression could be a problem, that is the reason many are surrendered to shelters. In Isis' case, as I understand, she was stray or lost, hit by a car and delivered to the shelter by the good samaritan that tragically struck her. For all intents and purposes, this is a special case that I am not so sure that it would fit into the mold of 75% of rescue dogs being aggressive (perhaps being overly optimistic here). And at this time we have no clue whether or not she fits into that 75% category. Surely, with Steve's extensive experience with the breed I am cognizant that aggression could be a disqualifying issue. And his opinion makes it ever so important to err on the side of caution. But the cirucumstances that led to her being at the shelter, I think we would all agree, are rather unique and set her case apart from others.

If I am wrong then I am sure the behaviorist will point that out to me. I fully realize that this is a situation that may not work out for Isis coming to our family. However, the assessment of the behaviorist will be there for the shelter to make an informed decision on her temperament & demeanor. It is obvious from the statements by the shelter personnel that "bull terriers are known to be vicous" that they are either ignorant to the breed or have just made up their minds that all bullies are that way.

With regards to the "doggies getting along with each other" issue. When Maya first met Bear, her best bud, there was no play for dominance or aggression one towards the other. They just sniffed and started playing together until they were so exhausted they just fell out on the floor. Now, surely I am aware that it may very well not be the case with Isis. However, Maya's demeanor towards Bear, and vice versa, give me some confidence that Isis and Maya can be best buds just like Maya and Bear are. At least I know I do not have to worry about Maya displaying any aggression towards Isis....the question is will that behavior be reciprocated?

And that is a question that I hope the behaviorist can answer.

The shelter is open on Sundays. So I hope the director is there in order to speak with her and get approval for the "Miami Whisperer" to do his thing. I also intend to ask her if I can have a quality kibble, Grizzly Oil, and NuVet vitamins delivered for her.

Step by step folks....that's the procedure. And if worst case scenario occurs and we cannot adopt her. Then we will work to get her out of the shelter and into a rescue/foster...which will eventually result in an adoption.

Again, I am buoyed by Phil's visit. And am also thankful that Steve chimes in with his educated opinion as well. Believe me when I tell you that I value both your opinions and give great weight to your statements. We are not going to jump headlong into this by any stretch.

• I have unopened bottle of NuVet I'd like to donate to the cause if you get the OK from the shelter Xtracho.

• @Stoeger....very cool...thanks! I will let you know as soon as I do. If given the OK to do that I am going to order the kibble and Grizzly for overnight delivery.
  • I'll get the NuVet there just as quick for that Tri-Pod Bullie-Girl!!
  • @Stoeger....I would be more than willing to recompense you for the shipping my friend.
  • edited October 2013
    No worries, my pleasure.

Even if she is dog aggressive she deserves all the help she can get.

I'm just happy I can hopefully help in even such a little way.
  • edited October 2013
    @Stoeger....I am grateful for sure.

And a special thanks to Leslie by letting us all know about Isis. She is the catalyst that got all of this started. It would have been so easy to turn a blind eye to this little girl, as I am sure many that have passed through the shelter looking for a companion to adopt have done. But we, as bullie owners, know their potential both good and bad. With everyone's feedback, cautious optimism, and downright love for the breed, I am confident that we have made strides towards making sure this sweetie gets the love and attention she deserves.

@Philsergeant....Steve brings up a valid point. While not a deal killer, did you get any indication that she may be impaired with regards to hearing during your visit?
  • OK Folks...here we go...

Just off the phone with the medical director at the shelter. She has given me her approval to have the "Whisperer" do his evaluation. She knows him and he is not just your run of the mill behaviorist. This man is regarded as the best in the business down there. GOOD NEWS!! She made a point of telling me that he was not just some glorified animal trainer, but that he was the real deal.

She also told me that she, as a shelter medicine provider, has done her own evaluation and finds that any agression that Isis may exhibit is very mild and by no means is aggravated or profound. MORE GOOD NEWS!!!

We spoke for a good while and she mentioned many times how sweet Isis is. They so want her to find a forever home.

Isis had a malignant mass removed some time ago with clean margins and the director told me that it was not aggressive nor had it metasticized. And that she has another mass that will be removed later in the coming week. But she told me that she was not worried about that. The veterinary oncologist told her that this was a mild, not aggressive cancer. Isis also suffered from some skin cancer as well.

Guess what? I don't give a damn about that. We can deal with that as it comes. But it just adds more to the tough life she has had so far and it also increases my intentions of getting her the hell out of there and home with me, the girls and Maya.

I also received her blessing to send down some grain free kibble, Grizzly oil, and the NuVet (hear that @Stoeger )? So, while we are sitting here at anchor looking stupid I suppose it is time for me to get online and get some TOTW or BBW down to that girl.

All in all, she was quite enthusiastic and grateful that we are proceeeding with an air of caution.
  • OK....Food ordered to be shipped to the shelter.

1- 24 lb bag BB Freedom Chicken Recipe
    1 - 32 oz. Squirt Bottle Grizzly Oil
    5 - 12" Bully Sticks

Should be there Tuesday or Wednesday.
  • First off I take no credit for this I just knew a few on here lived in Florida and posted the pic. In hopes this would happen, I'm stoked this is going so well. The real heros are phil and Xtracho and always Steve for his book of knowledge ( where's my book!! ). Things couldn't be going better!!!! Xtracho I just took a hellofa call sorry I missed you. Your kindness in taking the mesures you have are truley awsome. I am looking forward to this nxt step with high anticipation that finally I've done something to right my wrong with what happened the last time I got my hands in rescue work. I would trust any of you on here with my own dogs that's saying something!! I got a real good feeling on this, still cautious as I have been their as steve mentioned. I couldn't be happier right now with this news!!! Impatienly awaing tge dog wisperer........
  • I heard you loud and clear!

The NuVet will ship out Monday morning for Tuesday delivery.

Should I just label it for Isis the sweet three-legged Bull Terrier? Or is there someone's attention I should include on the label?
  • @Stoeger....check your messages. That is the address I used to ship the food and other stuff.
    edited October 2013
    Yes, My bad. Frankly I didn't think of it until Steve brought it up, but (although she doesn't recognize her "name", obviously it's not her given name), she seemed to recognize you were beckoning or praising her.... I really should have paid attention and given her the "blind" deaf test and see if she responded to sounds she couldn't see.
    But if she is deaf she conceals it well..... I could also kick myself harder Steve, because when the truck hit her hard enough to mangle her left front leg, it obviously hit her left-side-of head and you can see her ear is a little twisted and her left eye is a little imperfect and she broke a left tooth.... so I really should have thought more of the possible ear damage. Dumb of me.... but I don't think so... they say she was hit on I-95 so I don't believe it was a "couldn't hear it coming" thing, possibly more a lost dog trying to find her way home..... You know it blows my tiny mind how someone can lose a dog and then not search high and low to every shelter and clinic to see if she's found or injured...!!!
    edited October 2013
    Also, While we are on the subject of rescues... There's this little kid too... who seems in good shape if only someone who knew about Bullies could grab her and put some weight on her....
    Bailey.jpg
    912 x 404 - 322K
  • Ooohhh my somebody FEED HER........breaks my heart :(
  • Another South Florida bullie? Miami-Dade no less? What am I gonna do? Come home with a car load of packages from Miami?

UPDATE: Spoke with the "Whisperer" just now. Dr. Heinz and his staff will perform the evaluation tomorrow at the shelter. I should receive a report via email and they are gonna take videos of Isis as well. So, things are proceeding as planned. Big day tomorrow for Isis, myself and my girls, and everyone else following this thread.
  • BIG BIG DAY! !!!! The video will be great that way you can see it yourself. I have trouble taking people at their word as I wanna experiance it myself even if you are called the wisperer!!
    Well, you have to know that Miami-Dade is no longer in America.....
  • edited October 2013
    Yeah Phil....we lived in Kendall for about 10 years. It was a great locale for us since my wife is latina. And to be honest I really did not mind either. I liked the diversity...hated the traffic. Wonder if I need a visa to enter? LOL.

And yeah Leslie, the video will be a nice touch. I think I did my due diligence in choosing Dr. Heinz and will place great weight on his expert analysis and opinion. Plus, the medical director at the shelter has already done her assessment of Isis and she is quite confident that Isis will do well tomorrow.
  • On a side note... Isis's NuVet shipped out at 8:45am today and will be there Wednesday if you wanna give them a heads up Xtracho!
  • @Stoeger....done. and again...my deepest gratitude! Tomorrow....big day!!
  • Leslie shared this with me on FB....WOW...how good is this for timing? Get your Kleenex ready!

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    That was a keeper. Loved it.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I hope all works out well for Isis, you and your family.

Keep us posted!!!
  • I'm gonna pee myself over here waiting......... b-( also I talked to Kim if we need her help she said let her know. I told her if today goes well we got it covered and she's gonna have the very best, if not we need to lacate a foster. Waiting...........
  • Hold it in Leslie....the shelter does not open until 11 am ET. So it is going to be a while.

@Stoeger....thanks, me too.
    Yeah,
    I'm gonna keep checking this tread every 15 minutes... (legs crossed).
  • Believe me everyone...you will all know as soon as I do. My problem is the IT staff that runs our intranet here on the boat has streaming videos blocked and I will not be able to view them until we reach dockside on Sunday. So I will need to count on many of you to view the video and give me your assessments and opinions.
  • Will do!!
  • Well the suspense and anticipation will continue until tomorrow. I spoke with the animal behaviorist a while ago. They have set an appointment to meet with Isis tomorrow at 10:30 am. Seems Isis wanted to make sure she looked her best and decided tomorrow would give her time to fix herself up! So, we shall patiently (yeah right) wait until tomorrow for the evaluation.  B-)
  • Women!!!!!
    Krap... Okay, I gotta go pee now.
  • Its killing me !!!!! 8-}
  • edited October 2013
    It takes a while for a woman to get ready...

You girls on the forum think it's difficult to pick out a pair of shoes?!? Isis has to decide on what three shoes to wear! :D
  • Have been keeping an eye on this thread wishing you the best of luck xtracho! :D
  • I've been tryin to wait patiently but it's been hard! I hope for good news! Today's the big day though...... Hour and a half before the evaluation!
  • Hoping and waiting for good news for you and Isis over here, too. 

• :-\"
  • While we wait, I keep thinking of that Shazam! show from when I was a kid where that lady would do "Oh, Mighty Isis" and transform into Isis.  Anyone else remember that?