Skip to content

Help picking puppy! :)

edited September 2013 in Forum Member Photos
Okay, so the day is soon arriving when our new MBT will be shipped to us.  We have the choice between two brindle boys (the two in the front) and was curious what members thought on their markings.  Appearance is not so important to me, but is to my wife.  So any thoughts on which of these two guys we should welcome?  The white face or the striped face?

Any personality traits that I could ask about at this age that may help make the decision???

Comments

• Not gonna even tell ya....knowing my track record whichever one I picked would be the opposite of the one your wife favors. If it were me I'd take em both! Or probably all 3.
  • @Xtracho my wife will probably pick the opposite of me as well!  
  • If I were asking about personality my questions would be directed at the dam and sire. At this age they are pretty much all puppies! I'm sure the other bullie nuts on here will chime in. They have much more knowledge about that than I do.
  • edited September 2013
     If you can not decide by markings.  I would ask for a video of the puppies together. You can ask alot of questions and get answers, but a few videos of them interacting and socializing may help make the decision process better.  Yep I would make the wrong decision also.  My wife would take them all.  She likes to be gone most of the time when they go to thier new home.
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited September 2013
    From looks alone one is tempted to go with the front right one being cutest, but the front left one looks a tad more confident than the very confident front right one... but a video, as Craig says, will tell you a whole lot more than stills. Also side shots will give you a better idea of skeleton and structure.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I'd like to see a side profile of them. They both look like cute puppies. How could you go wrong?

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I was thinking that the little guy on the left seems to have a slightly stronger head and chest, but it could just be the photo.  Wife is already favoring the guy on the left with the white stripe over the white face.  

Thanks for the opinions!! :)  I'll see if I can coax a video.  Ha!  
  • I like the one in the back :-?? Ok ok I like em all Iet you wife pic she's gonna anyway :D as these very smart men on here are telling you!!!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • @Leslie of course that is great advice.  :-\"  Wife knows best.  She is also naming him by the way.  Small concessions I have to make for her allowing us to get an MBT and not another breed.  :D
  • Small price to pay ;)
  • @fbones you are in the same position I was when we were picking a MBT. My wife got to pick the puppy, sex and name since I chose the breed. Btw, I love the bullie she picked, and I bet you will too!! Good luck! :D

• A video is a great idea.  Don't kid yourself.  They do have personalities at that age.  I knew my female was going to be a brat.  My all white I knew would be laid back.  A video is sure to show some of the traits. 
  • Im a big advocate of the right dogs temperament for the right home.

are you new to the breed? if so, ask the breeder which pup is the most laid back and easily ignored.

because THAT is the one youll be wanting if your new to the breed.

if your an advanced bully owner and are very knowledgible in dog behavior, you can welcome the more outgoing pup.

it is those least noticeable pups who often make the best dogs and easiest to train because they are neither domineering and cocky, nor shy or nervous.

when directing my sister to which English bull dog puppy to choose,  and it was between 2 feamles, I told her to ask the breeder which was HER favorite and why, the breeder said she perfered the pink ribbon pupy because she was "the baby" the one cutest, sillyies and most outgoing baby, I told my sister-take the other one.

and sure enough, I was correct. the owners of the pink ribbon puppy ended up giving her back to the breeder because she was quite pushy and dog aggressive, while my sisters was very calm, andn aturally more relaxed and MUCh easier to train.

while a nice color and shape are nice-its the personality that's going to give you problems-not the color

• @xcharity_casex I am new the the breed and we are both new dog owners.  I am waiting for the breeder to get back to me with her opinion on their temperaments.   I appreciate your advice and I was thinking along these lines.  
  • Both new dog owners?  Strap on, you're in for a ride =))
  • I'm sure whichever one you pick, he will have you both trained in no time!
  • Both pups are gorgeous! BTW Steve- I'm in love with Sooner/Bella Trix baby Boy#4.
  • More pics please... just for the sake of seeing more Bullie-Pups :)

I know Stoges_mom and I "just knew" when we saw the first pic below of our little Man-imal... The second pic confirmed & sealed the deal!!!

035_zps54dd0612.jpg
    800 x 600 - 63K
    photo1_zps069ba9ec.jpg
    670 x 503 - 100K
    Good choice, but you should have got them both... you can see she already knew he was going!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Yea we were going to get the white one with the patch eye too but I figured I'd do better with only one male for the time being. Two would be a handful!
  • @DianeWright you mean that the 10 books I have read over the past few weeks have not prepared me?  :-))

@Xtraxho Haaa!
  • Oh those pups are super cute!

I agree though, you're in for once heck of a ride!

• Just to update, I spoke to the breeder and she assured me that all of the pups in the litter are pretty uniform as far as their behavior, size and whatnot.  As I trust her and she has been quite good on keeping me in the loop, I asked her to pick for me and my wife was on board with that.  I told her to pick the puppy she thought would be sweet and calm. Ha!  

It will be a fun surprise going to pick him up not knowing who will be there.  
    ;)
    [-O<
  • If your close enough, take a quick trip before they are ready for their new homes, and see them in action.  One of the 2 just may make a bonding moment and attach themselves to you.  The decision will be made for you.  If not Videos and study their behavior. 

Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • I don't have the luxury of visiting as I am in NY and they are in TX.  I know breeder is busy with the pups and she told me she has family in town so I'm not too keen on harassing her for a short video that may or may not speak to me.  I think I trust her at this point and given it's one of two and not one of the entire litter, I'm just going with the flow. :)  
  • edited September 2013
    Where in NY Fbones24?

We're Upstate.

When we picked up our puppy, our breeder did mention that nobody asked for as many pics as us.

We only asked for new pics every week (sometime twice in one week) for a month & a half straight, haha!

Both of those Bullie-Boys look outstanding, I can hardly wait to read about the journey you're about to em-BARK on :)
  • @Stoeger we are "down state" in Long Island about 30 minutes from NYC.  Where "upstate" are you?  We are considering a move up to the New Paltz area.  

I have not been hounding the breeder as I do not want to be a pest.  Plus, we knew going in we would have a choice between two of the boys so it was basically already decided.  

I will definitely be chronicling our journey and I may need some emotional support! 
    =))
  • I dont think its bad to hound someone you will be adopting from. Id actually like for people to be that excited as they will be joining a family that will spoil them.
    @Soapskid - You are sooo right. It is the people that email, call, and constantly ask questions that I have the utmost respect for from the people that purchase puppies from us. All it means to be is they are eager and excited about the aspect of getting a puppy that they will cherish. I welcome every question and concern with pleasure. No breeder that takes pride in their litters would ever get aggravated or think of you as a pest for showing interest and concern with a puppy they are wishing to bring into their family.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yup, we always included a please and thank with our picture requests. Our breeder didn't mind doing it.

On arrival to their house, we apologized for all our requests and thanked them for their cooperation. To quote them "How could you not want as many pics of him as you can get, he's some damn cute!" haha! Then Stoeger pee'd on their kitchen floor, lol! I guess he was excited to see us too!!!

Like everyone has said, no reason to be shy or feel like you're gonna bother the breeder.

Here is a small sample of the pics we convinced the breeder to send just in the first week or so of Stoge's life. We got MANY more in the following weeks.

P.S. We're 20mins outside Albany.
    004_zpsc714b902.jpg
    800 x 600 - 40K
    003_zps847be2ba.jpg
    800 x 600 - 38K
    005_zps9aecf0ff.jpg
    800 x 600 - 39K
    006_zps031b8acb.jpg
    800 x 600 - 58K
    007_zps21343d37.jpg
    800 x 600 - 58K
    009_zps90baa1a0.jpg
    800 x 600 - 56K
    010_zps053d2752.jpg
    800 x 800 - 49K
    020_zps7a752143.jpg
    800 x 600 - 55K
    021_zps58f6ec92.jpg
    800 x 600 - 54K
    022_zpsdf85cf8d.jpg
    800 x 600 - 61K
    028_zps6677d28f.jpg
    800 x 600 - 58K
    029_zps60dc21ab.jpg
    800 x 600 - 61K
    030_zps4c9f47cd.jpg
    800 x 600 - 44K
    033_zps07ea43a2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 54K
    054_zpsd7806b37.jpg
    800 x 600 - 59K
  • Just a short update.  Spoke to the breeder today and she told me that the brindle boy (on left) is definitely the "sweeter" of the two.  She also said he is a full pound bigger at this point.  She said he is less aggressive and more responsive to her so this sounds like a good thing right?  
  • Sweeter, less aggressive and more responsive are always good things ;)
  • He is a great looking little Bullie!

Definitely looking forward to reading about his life-long adventure with you!!!
  • Thanks everyone.  :)  I will definitely be sharing his adventures.  

I thought it was funny how she described him.  She said the little one (with the white face) will wrestle and bite her shoe if he gets it.  She said the brindle boy will just paw it and pull on the shoelace.  
    :D  That was really all I needed to hear.  Ha!
  • I think you've made a good choice!!!
  • Ugh...so I need some more advice from the more "experienced" members.  Spoke to breeder again today and she informed me that she had a BT judge come evaluate the pups.  She said that he noticed the brindle boy, the sweeter one that we were going with showed some body language that he did not like.  He is definitely the "calmer" of the two, but she said his ears folded back frequently and that he was displaying some fear.  She felt that given the fact that we have a wild man two year old, the more curious, outgoing pup might be the better choice for us.  The last thing I want is a fearful pup.  

Does this make sense and anyone agree...disagree?
  • At such a young age you will be able to train this pup whichever one you chose the way you want it to behave with what's expected and not on his/her behavior. You have chosen a more difficult breed but if you've done your homework and your confident you can spend the time and energy on a bt then either choice will be just fine. Fearfull or rambunctious both take persistance, time and patience.
  • my question would be why she had an evaluation done on these pups unless she's had problems before???????
  • It wasn't a "formal evaluation" I don't think.  She mentioned that it is a friend of hers that just happens to be a BT judge at shows.  I guess if I had to pick, I would prefer to deal with rambunctious over fearful.  
    A BT Judge, huh? :-?

I got to be honest with you, it is extremely difficult to predict the temperament and character of a Bull Terrier at such a young age. Many people will have their myths about how to pick out the best puppy by some sort of test they conduct, touching a puppy a analyzing their reaction, and so many other weird methods. There is yet to be some form of method that has truly proven to be accurate.
    If you met Sooner when he was a young puppy you'd swear he'd grow up to be the most dominant and aggressive male Bull Terrier you'd ever run across. Sooner just had to be wrestling with his siblings all the time. He would stir up a fight just for the sake of not being bored. Sooner used to wake Rocky up from a dead sleep by biting on his ear. If I scolded him he'd turn around, growl, and haul butt away from me. Now he's the biggest baby you'd ever meet. He loves all dogs and begs them for attention. He shows more affection than any other male BT I've met. He's a super lovable BT that absolutely adores attention from both people and other dogs.
    Ears back, nervous, or anything else could happen from one puppy to next every 5 minutes. In the photos you've posted I see a confident puppy with his ears erect while someone is standing over him with a camera clicking away.
    My recommendation to you is to get very familiar with the parents of the litter vice trying to judge the individual puppies. I promise you that you won't be able to get any sort of accuracy in judging a 6 week old puppy's temperament and character right now. With this said, judge the parents. Judge how much time the breeder is spending with the puppies. Have the breeder video tape the puppies playing outside together.
    I hate saying it but if the breeder is having some difficulties finding homes for all the puppies and they are coming up on the age in which they're going to new homes there's no telling what they'll say especially if they know they have 2 or more people wanting to claim the same puppy. I'm not saying your breeder would be this way. However, I'm a little leery about the claim that a Bull Terrier judge conducted an assessment of character on these particular puppies. If that BT judge wanted to provide better insight he'd have explained that 40% of the future temperament can be based off the temperament of the parents, 50% of the future temperament can be based off the way the puppy was raised and trained from 8 weeks on, and the last 10% is just luck of the draw due to the intelligence of the individual puppy.
    Again my recommendation to you is to pick the puppy that you and your family prefer the most. A video would be very helpful in determining which one YOU thought had the best personality. I think you are fortunate to be able to see photos of the puppies at an older age and be able to choose between 2 puppies. For us, the people who claim ownership to one of our puppies are usually doing this the day they born and their decision for a puppy is simply based off their preference in sex, color, and markings. The future structure, conformation, temperament, and character can best be predicted based off the parents, their bloodlines, and pedigree.

Here's a video of a past litter where you can see the puppies having a good time outside playing together. Our female "Double Deuce Dakota" is amougst this group. She was chosen the second she was born due to her color and markings only. We knew what her temperament and character would be like in the future.

Dakota 121017 (18).jpg
    3264 x 1840 - 2M
    DD.jpg
    600 x 399 - 53K
    Deuce - May 2013.jpg
    1063 x 638 - 369K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Fbones, I have to say that his little white face is adorable!! I'm a sucker for white faces!!
  • Ya know, it crossed my mind that two people wanted the same pup and this one might be "pushed off" on us.  It's very cynical of me and I have to think that is not the case.  Like you said, it is impossible to predict how either of these pups will turn out and it is up to me and my family to make sure he is as healthy and happy as possible.

To be honest, I always favored the white face just based on his markings.  I think he looks quite unique and he is the smaller of the four boys in the litter.  I'm short, so I sympathize.  
    :D

• @Stoges_mom that was my first impression.  My wife liked the other guy but she is deferring to me now. Ha!
  • Steve, thanks for the advice.  I can only read about the parents on the respective websites of the two kennels.  I have obviously had no interaction with parents or pups.  

I tend to think I'm over thinking the process and whichever puppy arrives, he will have a loving home waiting for him and that will hopefully dictate how he turns out.  

I will admit that I did have some trepidation when it came to my son interacting with the "calmer" pup.  I felt that I did not want the puppy to be stressed out by the environment so maybe what she is saying makes some sense.