Skip to content

Liver Colored Bull Terriers

BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
edited August 2012 in Bull Terrier Description
This discussion was created from comments split from: Bull Terrier Head.
- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments

• years and years of breeding the same heads to the same heads. I saw your add monero for the breeding you just did, i didnt realize your female was a liver tri. a friend of mine had a liver tri (chocolate tri) that she got from a guy in texas that died from a genetic health disease known as addisons. A very severe illness.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    edited June 2014

That's too bad about your friends dog having Addison disease. That's very rare in Bull Terriers. I've haven't met anyone owning a Bullie that had Addison's. However, with treatment they can live a regular life. Unfortunately, there is no correlation or proof that can pinpoint the root cause of this disease. Liver color has nothing to do with Addison's disease or we'd be seeing many chocolate labs and red nose Pits with this disease. Addison's disease is an adrenal insufficiency.

About a year and half ago I provided stud service for this woman's female Bullie and she had 4 Liver Tri pups in the litter. To date they are free from any health issues. As a matter of fact they haven't even a sign of any skin issues or allergies frequently seen in white EBT's. I'm not a huge supporter of Liver colored Bullies simply because the color is not within the standards of the breed but I have to admit that I think they are gorgeous. However, the health and well-being of a Liver pigmented dog has no less health issues than other colors.

Is Addison's disease genetic or inherited?

Research has shown that Addison's disease is genetic, but the exact method of inheritance is not yet known. It is thought that there may be an environmental trigger. There are ongoing research projects for several breeds, including Standard Poodles, Leonbergers, Great Danes and West Highland White Terriers, with hopes of identifying a genetic marker. However, at this time, there is no specific test to identify the gene, only the test to diagnose whether or not the dog's adrenal glands are functioning properly.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • no, i didnt say the color was related to the disease, but that his dog may in fact be related to the one who died (same state), and that can be concerning, however it is rare so i dont know. it was after her dog had puppies that the disease went into crisis mode and began killing her, she was young, and it was tragic. Of course you can treat it, but from what i heard and what the vets say, its on going treatment, the disease can flare up again and the dog could be in and out of the hospital its whole life. They say stress triggers it, probably the stress from the litter that caused it to flare up in her, she never saw symptoms prior. she had a lot of testing done to determine that it was indeed addisons.
    That's really sad. First time I've heard of a Bull Terrier getting Addisons too. That had to have been really rough especially with a young dog. Sometimes you hear about dogs getting fatal diseases and it scares you a little when you think about something like that happening with your own dog or dogs. Dogs are no different than people in the essence that they are prone to diseases as well in which some have no true explanation as to the causes. I remeber when I was a kid and our dog developed a brain tumor which took his life. It was heart breaking on the whole family.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I didn't know it was called a liver tri the chocolate tri iv heard of but yes that's her color and I really like her color I'm sorry to hear about ur friends dog but the guy I bought her from told me she was good and healthy and had already had a litter she's been good since iv had her and she has a really good temp and listens really good I hope the disease ur talking about don't have nothing to do with the color cause iv gotten lots of compliments on her and I would hate for that to happen to any of her pups and I have a question y isn't the color a standard in the breed its still a bull terrier I can put her next to a white blk brown or any color EBT and everything about her looks the same except her color and me personally I think that color stands out alot especially the tri on them cause iv searched the web for dogs around the world and I came across a page of a breeder somewhere in Europe and I was looking at there dogs and they actually had 2 of the liver EBT but what I didn't really like about them was that they were all that color and I didn't really like that I like the way they look with white in them like there chest or on there face but I was just wondering because if she has a show quality male I plan on keeping him and it just suxs cause how the color isn't a standard color I don't think I can try and show him but regardless that's not going to change the way I feel about that color I still like it

Monero82 -

The reason the liver colored Bullies aren't within the standards is because of the gene they possess which changes the natural colors that she should have. Liver colored dogs refer to the pigment in their genes which cast out black all together. With this said everything that's on them that should be black is offset with red or brownish color. Even their eyes aren't black as they should. I haven't seen your Bullie but if she's a liver her eyes aren't solid black, correct? The breed standards depict the Bull Terrier eyes to be black. Light colored eyes are considered a fault. There are a total of 22 color combinations which set the standards for the English Bull Terrier. None of them are chocolate or liver. I'm not sure what color you registered her as but I'm pretty sure it would have to have been Black Brindle and White or Black Tan and White. Another thing you'll notice about a Liver dog is that their nose has no black pigment either. It's usually solid red. Again the result of the lack of black pigmentation within the gene.

Many die hard Bull Terrier show enthusiasts shun the livers because they are not in compliance with the breed satandards. Other will claim they have health issues.

My oppinion is they are just as healthy as any other color. I like the way they look and although they may not be proper quality for the show ring they do attract a lot of attention.

Here's some examples of other Liver Tri's -

Boy 3 (5).JPG
    864 x 648 - 99K
    Boy 2 (4).JPG
    864 x 648 - 106K
    Liver Tri - Max.jpg
    960 x 720 - 176K
    Tri, Liver - 2.jpg
    767 x 1023 - 113K
    Tri, Liver - 1.jpg
    370 x 238 - 33K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • the fourth picture to the left, the puppy in the pink harness is in fact the one that died, at less than 2 years of age. I was just saying, i think the dog you got Monero, is that puppies relative, she got her from a guy in texas, and a horrible guy none the less. I dont think liver is related to health problems, I hope not, I find them absolutely stunning!! But it was strange her rare color and her rare disease were in the same dog, and tragic for all of us that loved Charlie. Here are some more rare colored bull terriers for you guys to enjoy!!

and if it interests you, i have more and more crazy looking bull terrier photos...

1n1d682k9w7.jpg
    500 x 375 - 50K
    1ZPQ3EA3DYWD7FKT1U.jpg
    700 x 572 - 63K
    100_2540.jpg
    383 x 576 - 63K
    521517_306290332798015_1325984307_n.jpg
    500 x 332 - 23K
    g4j04v46q60.jpg
    361 x 615 - 56K
    arw4.jpg
    360 x 325 - 96K
    411824_3397348052833_1144164524_o.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 399K
    243677_262511010521154_1777897164_o.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 752K
  • i think the blue eyed bull terrier is STUNNING, i could keep that one just as a pet he is so awesome looking as long as he is healthy! He is from ann dees, along with the female photo number 3 is also ann dees, photo one has a blue nose, and she might be mixed, the black and white was Charlie's (liver tri) dad, who was heavily inbred to her, they bred him to his daughter that was Charlie, photo 6 is a mini bull terrier and the others are just a few of my collection. Where is the mysterious blue bull terrier? Still need that photo...
  • I can't see any of the photos yall posted
    If you can't see the photos you may want to look into conducting some updates for your computer.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • if you are on a mobile device you might have to click on 'view full site' at the bottom of the screen.

i would not want a liver ebt.  like mentioned before, it is not within the breed standards.  if i had a dam or sire that passed down that trait i wouldnt breed them.  liver color is also undesireable and in some instances a disqualification in other breeds as well.  for instance it is a disqualification for an 'english bulldog' to have a liver colored nose.
    edited June 2014
    I thought I'd bring this subject up again because lately I've been getting many people asking about Liver colored Bull Terrier who are really wanting to find one.

In some breeds the Liver gene is not recognized as a color in others it is and in those cases the liver color is highly praised. Currently the Bull Terrier standards do not recognize the liver with a particular color code and for this reason there are people who shun Liver Bull Terriers simply because they feel they are misfits or bad quality. On the other hand their are plenty of people who absolutely love the look of liver bull terriers and desperately long for one. There are quite a few breeders who are wanting to develop them as some do with the French Bull Dogs for the development of "Blue" Frenchies which also happens against the standards but is very sought after along and carries a high price tag. Many that truly love the look of the Liver Bull Terriers not only fall in love with the color of their coat but the lighter colored eyes. The fact that they are very rare only makes people respect them even more and appreciate the rarity and unique appearance. There's no question that certain "designer" dogs are cherished and longed for by many people and often some of these rare designer dogs will bring in higher prices than your average dog that fits into the standard.

Sometimes I often wonder how people within the Bull Terrier community can chastise any Bull Terrier that they feel doesn't fit into the standard as it's illustrated while I continue to see clubs entertaining showing and exhibiting Bull Terriers in the "White" class that have colored markings on their back which is clearly written within AKC standards as "Seriously Faulted."  Not only are they showing these "seriously faulted" Bull Terriers but have full intentions on breeding them.
    One thing for sure - Liver Bull Terriers will always cause controversy simply because of standards. The fact that many people want one only makes those that don't like them even angrier. Could you imagine if people thought the same way within the Lab community? You don't hear anybody knocking the chocolate labs when in fact they are a liver black lab. The same goes for the Red Dobermans, the Red Dalmatians, and the Red Nose Pit Bulls - ALL of which are liver dogs recognized by the breed standard and provided a different "color" name. Obviously within these breeds the liver gene is commonly seen and not a rarity like it is within the EBT breed.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited June 2014

We have a liver bull terrier, Max Jr. and I think his lighter color eyes are very beautiful.

Max is the fella in the first photo in Steve's post from Aug 2012.

Boy 3 (5).JPG
    864 x 648 - 99K
  • And here's Max fully grown...
    IMG_3731.JPG
    1936 x 2592 - 2M
    IMG_3760.JPG
    1936 x 2592 - 3M
    IMG_3769.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 3M
    IMG_3766.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 3M
  • Max is a beautiful boy--love his eyes!
    edited June 2014
    Wow, he looks nice! I remember receiving photos of this litter from Haley who was the owner of the Mother of the litter - "Stella."

You're Maria correct?

So many people have contacted us about this litter of puppies which produced 4 Tri-colored liver puppies. We provided stud service for the owner and advertised the litter. I never got to see these puppies in person but was amazed at how nice looking they were.

You never trained the ears to stand on Max. :((   but he still looks great. He looks like a Big Boy now that looks happy and well cared for.

I never heard back from Haley and don't know if she ever bred Stella again but those were some really neat looking puppies!

Here's a picture of your pup with a couple of his siblings. I also attached a photo of the mother "Stella" owned by Haley.

2 Tri's.jpg
    1313 x 869 - 687K
    4-Red Tri's.jpg
    1835 x 920 - 990K
    4-babies.jpg
    1723 x 1084 - 802K
    All Puppies.jpg
    1378 x 792 - 573K
    Stella 1b.jpg
    1800 x 1013 - 1M
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Steve,

Maria is my wife. I am Jorgen.

No, his ears were never trained due to, amongst other things, a head injury that Max received when young. He had a gold ball sized swelling on his head and had to have two surgeries but he did fully recover.

Max is one of three male puppies from that litter, a.k.a "Boy 3". Boy 2 was the biggest one, Max was the "Lover boy" of the litter so we selected him (or he selected us?)

We do not live too far away from you, in between Siler City and Pittsboro NC, so if you happen to be in the area, swing by for a libation and meet Max.

Oh, I'd love to see him, he looks great. If I'm ever attending a dog show up in that area I'll have to contact you. You should join our Bull Terrier Club of North Carolina (BTCNC). There's a member who has a brindle and white Liver named Sergio. I've seen all other colors (white, red and white, brindle) in liver but have yet to see a Tri liver in person. We recently had a Liver Brindle and white born from Makoa's litter and although that puppy was spoken for the day he was born I'm still getting hit with emails asking about his availability. To make it worse people even inquire about placing a deposit in order to try and get one from a future litter when the fact is I don't know if we'll ever see another one.  I was contacted by a breeder on Facebook who said he'd be willing to pay more than $4000 for either a brindle or tri male true liver EBT puppy. It's apparent many love the way they look and some desire producing them as a designer dog in hopes of selling for high prices like they do with the Blue French Bull Dogs.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • You know, with the ears down, he looks a little sheep-ish (sheep-esque?).
  • Yep, and he most definitely is very sheepish ;-)
  • lol love Max's Irish hat. I think it's fitting since I'd consider him a type of "ginger." :D %%-
  • Max's "mum" is Irish. Dublin.
  • I have a blue tri bull terrier female, before I found her I never knew they existed. Where are all these liver colored ones located at? I'd love to see one in person.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    And we'd love to see a photo of your Blue Tri!!!!!!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Someone on FB posted these. Can't seem to find the breeders information but here's a "blue" bull terrier
    image.jpg
    750 x 655 - 122K
    image.jpg
    750 x 490 - 92K
    That Bullie looks like he's mixed with another breed of dog.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Idk could just be a badly bred overweight bull terrier
  • edited February 2015
    That is in fact the female I have, this picture was taken while at her previous owner's kennel. She is very over fed so I'm working on getting her in better physical condition. In person I'd say she has about a medium head, not really the quality I like to see. I'll see if I can take a better picture of her & post it.
    Is that her in your profile photo.?... I find her very intriguing & beautiful.... where does the "blue" name come from?What does she weigh, she doesn't look terribly overweight to me, but she is definitely different, lovely and different... I place more stock in character than standard.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Looks like she's got lighter eyes like the liver bull terriers. Pretty.
  • Do you guys have instagrams by the way? Love seeing bully pics
  • Also I love the unique bull terriers although I reall want to get into showing I've seen a few unique bully pups I was tempted to adopt lol. Like this little girl. I love her markings
    image.jpg
    750 x 589 - 93K
    image.jpg
    745 x 558 - 96K
    image.jpg
    750 x 1334 - 123K
    Cute, she looks like she has pajama pants on.... but I don't think she should be bred.
  • I know. Just thought her markings were cute. I know her markings aren't "standard" just thought she is unique and adorable.
  • She's not too overweight, just more than I prefer. Also no that's not her in my profile pic, those are my other 2 females; Raven & Lucy. Raven (brindle) is 8 months old & loves aggravating 5 yr old Lucy (red smut) lol. They crack me up. I haven't had Diamond long but so far I'm slowly switching her to a grain free diet, it's always helped my BTs stay in a nice healthy, lean condition. I tried taking better pics of her while I went out, but it didn't go as planned. It was dark out & she of course wouldn't hold still but maybe it'll give you all an idea of her. One pic came out a lil blurry, I'll take better ones tomorrow.
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    image.jpg
    2370 x 2570 - 1M
  • I'm not sure if the pics uploaded or not...
    I'm not sure if the pics uploaded or not...

Nope, no pictures.   :-??

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1023K
    She's a sweetheart, shame, needs some bag balm on that nose... looks cold there!!!!
  • Yes she does! She definitely doesn't care for the snow, she's good for about 10 minutes then wants to go back in. My other Bulls are used to it & will just frolic away haha.
  • Very interesting to see a "blue" bull terrier...though to be honest, I hope to not see many more, if any more ever. Just looking at her it does look like some breed lines were crossed somewhere. At least I'm assuming they would have to be. You said earlier she's a blue tri colored, but really she appears to be a blue brindle and white just looking at her side in that first picture of yours. Is she grey in person? Like a dark Weimaraner grey? And how old is she and how long have you had her? I'm very intrigued as well!!

Of course, all bullies no matter colors are to be loved. :) I hope you can get her cute little nose taken care of and her weight managed with a new diet. Sounds like you've got your hands full with those three.
  • I believed her to be a blue tri because in person you can see red points around her cheeks & legs. I don't see any brindling myself but I could be missing it. She is grey in person, not dark like some pics may look...I'd say more of a powdered look if that makes sense. I've had her less than a month so I'm still learning about her. She's now on a grain free diet so hopefully that will help her condition as a whole.
  • I forgot to add she's 3 years old.
    Not the typical color patter of a "Tri." I'd have to agree with @Quinnofhearts by stating she looks more like a Black Brindle and White with the gene causing the Blue. Looking at her photo above in the kennel she looks just like a Black Brindle and White with heavy white markings.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • @Msheets90 in the picture you posted where she is looking right at the camera, looking at her left side it appears to be a little bit mottled, almost as if it were brown it would be brindle. if that sentence made any sense. Either way, glad she has found a home with you and is not in a worse situation. She definitely has the bull terrier "look" down!! Puppy eyes!!
  • After looking at her in the sunlight, I definitely have to agree that she is in fact a brindle. If she wasn't diluted I would imagine she would be a black brindle & white?
  • Talk about Rare! This here is my boy whom i had imported from south america. Sadly i had to give him away, but he was such a good boy. His eyes were captivating. Real head turner also. @Msheets90 i believe we spoke on the phone a few months ago regarding this same pup. The liver gene should be preserved in my opinion
    20141009_215207-2~2.jpg
    392 x 640 - 19K
  • another one
    20141004_171809.jpg
    480 x 640 - 30K
    He was a cute one alright. The black brindle eye patch almost looks maroon. Great example of a liver white Bullie.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com