Skip to content

Am new and repeating probably but...ONIONS!

Don't know if this has been covered before and It probably has. But as it's important I'll just repeat for newbies. ONIONS are death for dogs! So please be sure if your Bullykid gets leftovers NO Onions, either cooked or raw! I am dismayed by  how few Veterinarians  mention this to people! This is hard for me as I love cooking with onions but have given it up for my Canine Pals.

Onions work on the kidneys and the effects of them are cumulative. 

Just a tip from a Vet Tech for our Bullykids.  :-)    Sonja and Pumba in OR

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Good to know, thanx
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • A friend of mines germen shepard just recently almost died from monion toxicity-he pulled some from the garbage-his symptoms were that  like a blockage.

he was vomiting severly, diareha, physically shaking, unable to keep water down.

he had to be on IV fluids for several days, she thought he was going to die, but he was lucky and pulled thru.

Glad to hear he survived! None of my dogs have ever been interested in the garbage... They even complain when going for a walk on neighbourhood garbage day.....   I've never really cared for onions, what are they for anyways? Tears for amateur actors? Bad breath? The runs? Yukky perspiration?.... overrated... Well, French onion soup I guess, and caramelized on a burger....
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I have heard that watermelon is bad for dogs. Anyone else heard this? Thanks for the info on the onions Sonja. I never knew that!
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    edited August 2013
    Per AKC®:

Every home has items that when swallowed by your pet can be dangerous and sometimes even fatal. To help protect your dog or cat, the American Kennel Club (AKC®) and The International Cat Association (TICA) highlight the most common household hazards for animals. Among them:

Food- Always keep garbage out of your pet’s reach. The rotting food contains mold and bacteria that could end up giving your four-legged friend food poisoning. In addition, many human foods can be extremely harmful to dogs and cats. Following are just some of the things that should never be on your pet’s menu:
    • Chocolate
    • Avocado
    • Onion
    • Grapes/raisins
    • Alcohol
    • Xylitol - found in sugar free gums and foods

Cleaning products- You can use many cleaning products in your home safely around your pets, but you have to make sure to read the labels and use them properly. Cleaners containing bleach can cause stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, or severe burns if swallowed, so keep your pets away from any areas you’ve cleaned until they are dry.

Medications- Human medication can make dogs and cats very sick. Always keep medicine bottles tightly closed and stored in a secure cabinet away from your pets. Some examples of medications that are harmful to pets include:
    ʉۢ Aspirin
    ʉۢ Ibuprofen
    ʉۢ Prescription drugs
    ʉۢ Diet pills

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • OMG!  I never new onions could do that to a dog.  Thank you soooo much. 
  • I didn't either and just gave mine some of a taco salad the other day!!!!! :-O
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
    Taco Salad is for Chihuwahuwas!
  • Lol!!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • I think at any time you eat and there is anything that they can't have you must enforce the no and even at times further discipline if they display any interest, which they usually will. I took Spud to a BBQ and he wasn't interested in the fresh onions in the garden but the ones cooked in the BBQ.