Skip to content

First heat cycle, very aggressive/defensive/territorial, please help

Hello,

I have a 9 month old female bull terrier named Almond who just went into her first heat cycle a few days ago. A little background about my puppy: we've had her since she was 12-13 weeks old. She has always been really friendly and overall just goofy. The only time she showed any aggression was with eating food specifically out of a bowl. She would guard the bowl as if it was her first meal in days. Weird thing is I could hand feed her and even let her eat off the floor. Our trainers and vet were a little stumped as to why the food guarding was so specific. Anyway, we pretty much resolved the food guarding issue by slowing transitioning from hand feedings, to eating off the floor, then to the bowl.

Almond was on medication for a couple months for mange, so the vet recommended to wait until after she finishes her medication course and the mange clears up before spaying her. The mange cleared up, but then she started her first heat cycle a week later. We didn't noticed any swelling of her vulva, but her behavior started to completely change. She started to guard her food bowl again. Then she started to become very territorial in the house and in her crate. She's been crate trained since we first got her and she loves her crate. That was the only place she would actually sleep. Now she growls when she goes near it and someone is around her. Weird thing is when we would go for walks, out of the house, she would act like the dog we know. She was even playing with my sister's AmStaff and Malinois, which are both males. However, right when we go back to the house, she acts very defensive and starts growling, even barking and snapping at us if we get close. We weren't sure if she was in heat until we noticed small amounts of bloody discharge.

We informed our vet about what's been going on and he recommended to bring her in ASAP to get spayed to rule out any other causes for her aggression. He said it would be awhile before her hormones returned to normal, but if she didn't improve and go back to normal, they would have to figure out what's causing her aggression. We got her spayed yesterday and she did well. After coming off the anesthesia she seems worse and growls when approached. She seems more irritated with the cone over her head as well.

I'm really hoping all of this behavior is attributed to the heat cycle and hormones. Has anyone had any experience like this? A sweet, playful dog turning into an aggressive monster when in heat. My wife and I are really sad about everything. We have a baby on the way and we definitely can't keep a dog that acts like this. I know if she stayed like this and we had to give her up, nobody would want her. We miss our goofy bull terrier!

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    @m_rex - As much as I'd like to tell you her aggression is due to her heat cycle I can't because her current aggression and temperament are not normal regardless if her estrus levels are high and she's in her heat cycle. However, if she was pregnant you might note her to be more irritable than usual but still without aggression.
    My opinion is that she has some phychological disorders and based on her age and the fact that she's maturing these negative temperament and character flaws are becoming more serious. It isn't uncommon for any Bull Terrier to go through a stage where they start acting out with dominance. Some may even test the waters with their newly learned dominance and anger with their owner. However, that type of behavior can be quickly resolved when they learn their owner doesn't tolerate it and shows displeasure. A Bull Terrier wants to please their owners and doing something that gains the opposite reaction will hurt their feelings.
    A Bull Terrier with phychological issues can be very hard to train. Many of them become "spinners" and show signs of intense anxiety. I've had rescues that could barely be kept in a crate for more than 30 minutes without them having a panick attack and completely destroying the crate with full intentions of chewing out of it regardless the harm it did to their teeth and mouth. It's very saddening seeing any dog with this type of problem. To date, I have personally seen about 3 or 4 Bull Terriers that had severe problems like this.
    You mentioned your BT having mange which is also a genetic disorder. Not trying to make any assumptions but it sounds as though the breeder you got your BT from may not have been breeding for health and temperament. A Bull Terrier that's been tested positive for mange at an early age like your dog got the mange because her immune system was not strong enough to fight off the effects of the mites. Mange mites can be found on almost any dog but most dogs will have no effect from them unless their immune system is weak.
    With this being said, the fact that your BT's immune system is in question she can be susceptible to many health issues now and in the future. There are tests that your Vet can conduct to check her immune system. There are meds she can take that will help also.
    My recommendations to you would be to ensure she is on a very good diet which will help tremendously. I would also provide her a supplement that will boost her immune system and help lessen the risks of future health issues. Here's a link to some info on proper nutrition: http://bulliesofnc.com/bull-terrier-nutrition
    Your Bull Terrier is showing signs of stress and anxiety and it's triggered very easily. It can get worse and it can get to the point where the anxiety to cause a lot of physical harm to herself. Now that she's had the surgery and is feeling some discomfort she most likely will show aggression if she's battling stress issues.
    Inquire to your Vet about her immune system. Call the breeder you got her from and let them know the issues your dog is going through. Change her diet if she isn't on a good one. Remove items that you know may be causing a phobia for her and heightening her anxiety level.
    Just out of curioustity, does she get overly nervous during thunderstorms? Does she chase her tail? Does she act as though she wants to fight her crate and destroy it? Does she eat at 100mph or get nervous when people are another dog are near her when she eats?

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited August 2013
    Steve, I pray I never get to experience these types of issues, for the sake of my dogs and family because it can hurt pretty hard when loved ones are sick... But if I do I am glad I know a place to go where one can find great advice as is given above...
    m-Rex, I believe and hope that you can take all required steps promptly and solve this issue before it impacts your confidence of continuing a comfortable lifestyle with Bully & Baby... If you provide all history, symptoms and details, all here will try and help with our experiences.... My first advise is that very few vets have a clue when it comes to Bull Terriers, so, although medically they might be able to offer some insight, I'd check before taking anything they say as gospel. We wish you strength and patience to getting your goofy bully back.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    Thanks Phil and you bring up a very good point that I forgot about. Many Vets do not have experience with this breed.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • MOST of them don't!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • Thank you for the response! We pretty much rescued our BT so we don't know much about her family history. Before her heat cycle started, she was a very normal dog. We had her in puppy class since we got her and then an ongoing obedience class. Our trainers even said her obedience progressed quickly for both her age and breed. She could sit, down, come, heel, shake either paw, high five, roll over, leave it, and move from "place" to "place" depending on where we pointed. She could stay in a place and I could leave her sight and still stay. The only sign of aggression was the food guarding when eating out of a bowl. We corrected that though and got to the point where we could pet her while she ate out of the bowl. This new aggression started with her heat cycle.

We've been feeding her blue buffalo with an occasional raw egg and daily fish oil. Her treats have always been quality stuff as well. She was never overly nervous or anxious. She would get spooked at sudden loud noises but only for a brief second. The only thing would get scared of is a running vacuum. After we turned the vacuum off she would try to play with it. She did chase her tail occasionally but it wasn't like a daily thing. When she did do it, we could easily coerce her out of it within seconds. She never purposely tried to destroy her crate. She was crate trained since we got her. She knew that was her safe place. If she knew she did something she wasn't supposed to, she would run there. She has bitten and bent some of the crate's bars when she got bored from being in there too long. She stopped displaying separation anxiety a long time ago, only in the first few weeks we had her.

She has never been aggressive with other dogs. She is overly playful to the point of annoying other dogs especially older ones. Even when dogs would growl and snap at her, she would think they're playing. She's been scratched on the face because of trying to play. She still kept playing after that. Like I mentioned about her old food guarding issue, that was the only time she ate fast and nervously.

Since going into heat and now getting spayed, she has turned into a different dog with subtle signs of her old self. She growls and barks when approached. This is at our house. When I take her out to walk and to the park, her old self shows up. She doesn't growl. Even with the growling, I can slowly approach her and I've been hand feeding since it's hard to eat with the cone on. She then stops growling. If we keep our distance, she doesn't growl.

I'm hoping all of this is hormonal plus stress and pain from being spayed. I'm just going to keep working with her for now.
    How much strenuous exercise does she get per day? I don't mean walkies. How long is she crated each day? How long is she alone daily? What does she do when not crated? Have any of these changed because of the mange/ spay issues. By the sounds of it she developed the mange around 6 months... Was her diet any different then, ? sounds pretty good now.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    If that's the case, it could be she's just going through a maturity stage and needs to learn that her unwarranted growling and aggression isn't tolerated. You're going to have to be tough on her so she knows it's you that's the alpha and that her acts of aggression are going to have consequences. Many people use the technique of pinning a dog on the ground and holding them there while they're on their side until they settle down. Once they realize they've been over powered they will submit, become embarrassed, and try to regain your affection.
    There are others on this Forum that have gone through similar experiences with their Bull Terriers right around the same time frame in age. It's almost as if the dogs hits puberty and suddenly wishes to act out in an inappropriate manner.
    She may have had a bad experience in the past that initiated during feeding time where another dog was involved. Now she may feel as though she needs to be "on guard" while she eats. If I had to, I'd sit there and feed her one small piece of food at a time until she learns that feeding time isn't associated with a rush to eat and a need to defend it.
    After reading your last comment it sounds as though she's just developing an attitude as she matures. If it were me, the first time I heard her growl at me I'd grab her muzzle shut, yell "NO", and pin her to the ground so she had a clear understanding that her actions were wrong. The aspect of pinning a dog is something they all know to be as being dominated and her instincts will provide that message loud and clear.
    I've got a female in the house right now running around with a diaper on. She's on her first heat cycle too. Her temperament hasn't changed a bit and she wouldn't dare growl or show any form of aggression. Your dog needs to be aware what is and what isn't tolerated. She probably has some bad habits developed from her previous owners lack of attention and proper training but she's young and her temperament and aggression can be corrected as long as she doesn't have inherited psychological issues as mentioned before.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • We also had trouble with Willie during that same age.  We had 2 Labs.  Male & Female.  Willie would go red on either, but mainly the female.  The male learned quickly to give Willie space, but the female lab just acted like Willie was going to kill her.  So....Willie wanted to kill her.  We placed our female lab in a better home with kids because we felt she needed too much training to live around Willie.  Buster has common since, she did not.  Once Ruby was gone, Willie was a new dog.  Then she had a litter, and she has changed more than we ever could have asked for.  All three dogs play together now.

M-Rex, you dog may not have agression issues with other dogs yet, but without help....she will.  Your dog is showing agression towards people for alfa.  Willie showed agression towards other dogs.  There really is no difference.  The only Alfa in our house is my Husband and myself.  Good luck!  I do know what you are going through, but in the end it will be worth it.

• Have you had her thyroid tested?

I personally would have her thyroid levels checked, as thyroid issues are EXTREMLY common and often time cause symptoms in BTs that look an awful lot like SOA (sudden onset aggression) but you will know it is not onset aggression because the dog is fully aware of what is happening when it happens.

Thyroid problems have MANY different symptoms, are rarely tested for in the BT breed-and are VERY much genetic, though symptoms vary from dog to dog. some dogs will simply be low energy,gain or loose weight, shed a lot, be hyper active, etc depending on the time of thyroid issue.

a thyroid test is simply a blood test, blood is drawn and the thyroid levels are checked.

MAKE SURE YOUR VET GIVES YOU THE SPECIFC NUMBERS!

most often,veternarians have a thyroid "range" that is considerd  "normal" when a slightly elevated or lowerd thyroid level can cause BIG problems (such as what you could be experiencing right now)

so, when you get the test done-have the vet print up the levels for you and send them off here >>>http://www.hemopet.org/?gclid=CKn3mJSA3rgCFapAMgoda3cApA

or you can talk to your vet about sending a sample off to them.

good luck!

• Thanks for all of the input! I really appreciate the time everyone is taking to respond. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but it seemed the most appropriate when I did it.

How much strenuous exercise does she get per day? I don't mean walkies.
    How long is she crated each day? How long is she alone daily? What does
    she do when not crated? Have any of these changed because of the mange/
    spay issues. By the sounds of it she developed the mange around 6
    months... Was her diet any different then, ? sounds pretty good now.

Philsergeant, before all of this happened, she would get at least one long walk in morning, which included playing in the park where I would do short sprints with her. She loves to follow/chase. Then throughout the day there would be 20-30 minute sessions of fetch and tug. My wife and I both work a graveyard 7pm-7am shift 3 times a week. The nights we both worked, she would be crated for around 13 hours. However, this was only about once or twice a week, and even then, our roommate would take her out for a potty break at night. Her schedule has been pretty regular since we got her. Breakfast around 8am, obedience training, walking, playing, 2-3 hour nap, dinner around 4pm, and most of the time an evening walk. She's usually ready to sleep by 8pm. With the mange issue, nothing changed. The schedule stayed the same. Her temperament and personality didn't change, she wasn't itching or scratching either. The vet was actually surprised how quickly the mange cleared up. When we first got her at 12 weeks, she was on garbage beneful. We quickly switched her to Innova, then after one bag of that, she's been on blue buffalo. The past couple months we started using the wilderness grain free blue buffalo. Like I said before, she gets a raw egg about 3 times a week and a daily fish oil.

Just an update on today's events.. I was more physical with her today and "pinned" her down. I didn't want o be too tough since she was just spayed 2 days ago and still has stitches. She actually stopped growling and I was able to hand feed her. She followed me around and even did a little bit of obedience. She would go to place and sit. Definitely some good progress today. The cone is frustrating her but it also helps as a barrier if she tried to snap at me, she hasn't though. She's still on pain medicine, which makes her tired. We haven't been crating her the past couple days since the cone gets in the way and limits her movement in the crate. Gotta work on some more tough love!

I'm going to give it a few more days before I ask the vet about checking blood like the thyroid levels. I'm sure hormones are still in her blood stream from being in heat and also the stress/pain from being spayed.
    I'm happy to hear that things are improving. Oh and you didn't post this is the wrong place. I think the other user was referring to their post and they couldn't delete what they wrote so they just edited it to say "wrong post."

We all want to hear more about your progress so keep us posted. ;)

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    That's them dang Bullies, one day at a time, stubborn to admit defeat, but also desperate for approval.... so persistence pays off but you have to pin her EVERY time, and praise her EVERY time.... they're too smart to see that can get away with nonsense some times.
  • Update.. So the she's acting more like her old self half the time. She's following commands especially during meal time and with treats. She is very food and treat driven right now and acts like her goofy self. However she seems to not like to be touched. We try to pet her and she starts to growl most of the time. It's weird because she'll do the "shadow" thing like she used to and follow us around the house then just plop next to or even on our feet. But when we try to pet her, she gets moody. I was sitting on the ground and she went on my legs like she used to and lied down to rest. When I tried to pet her she would do a growl and get up then come back. It's like she wants to be next to us at all times but doesn't want us to touch her.

I've been pinning her down when the growling escalates or lasts longer than 5-10 seconds. Should I pin her down the second she growls? Should I try a different approach and just stay next to her til she stops to show I mean no harm?

Right now she is most aggressive/defensive when she's been lying or sitting by herself for awhile and we approach her. She starts to angrily growl and then bark as we get closer. When I get to her I pin her down til she stops. It was odd this morning because I was sitting on the ground and she went onto my legs and lied down. My wife came out and approached us and our BT started to growl even went next to me already.

FYI she is still wearing the cone so she doesn't lick her stitches. I can tell she gets annoyed with it which may be adding to her frustration. We haven't been crating her because cone restricts her movement too much in the crate and she gets mad. Could she be territorial/defensive because of her wound?

Definitely progressing but I don't want her to get used to this defensive nature. It's as if she's a guard dog now.
    edited August 2013
    If it were me I'd not try to pet her if it provokes issues. I'd shout NO if she growls from a distance or barks... If she does it nearby anyone I'd definitely pin her. See if you can live with that until the stitches are out an you can have the cone off... Perhaps the pain ( is she on pain meds?) and the cone are escalating issues ... If you can stabilize like that, then go from there.... A bit of ignoring for a short time wont hurt.
    I guess my approach is probably a little more aggressive and less soft. I know how strong willed a Bull Terrier can be and I'm not fooled by their cute lovable faces. What they get away with can turn into a bad habit.
    If it were me, I'd pin her to the growl the second I heard her growl regardless how soft it was. If she isn't enjoying get pet I'd even pet her while she was pinned so she knew If I wished to pet her without being growled at it was going to happen. I can almost guarantee she's going through a maturity stage and all she really needs is a reminder that she isn't the boss and that No acts of aggression or bad behavior will be tolerated. She'll grow out of this behavior but the more you condone it the longer it will take.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • She is on tramadol every 8-12 hours for the pain. She's been getting it twice a day.
  • I know that the Tramadol did not start the issue, but I have heard of several pets that have had "bad trips" from the tramadol. Feel free to google it. It is a opiate and can affect different dogs differently some become very needy, some super anxious, some zonk out. I'd look into cutting back her dose or seeing about using a different pain med. just my opinion. Hope things get better soon. :)

• Any update with this girl? Been reading all the posts and have been wondering about you consulting a Ceritfied Dog Behavoirist about her?

As I have been in Cattle Dog Rescue for many years, fostering etc. I know all the stuff said about pinning a dog down, rolling them over etc etc. I do not agree with it, JMHO and I do know that aggression breeds aggression and solves nothing. Ye, we must be leaders for our dogs but body English, voice, approach to a dog and our behavioir shows that to a canine.

I loved the post from Xchairity about having her Thyroid checked as that was my first thought as I was catching up to things.

I do wonder after reading so much about Bullies and their skin problems if Thyroid shouldn't be checked more often to rule it out? Don't know, you good people would know much more about that.

Sonja & Pumba who are getting frustrated waiting for word about the Bullykid we are hoping to adopt! sigh

I so hope help can be found for this girl and her family! Sonja & Pumba
  • Sorry for the lack of updates..

Our BT finished her course of tramadol. I don't think any of her behavior changes could be attributed to it, because they started with the heat cycle. I think the tramadol actually helped her rest.

So I would say she is about 95% back to normal. She improved everyday. A couple days ago, she was hucklebutting and she broke the cone that was over her head from the surgery. It was like a revelation for her and she felt free. She started to act more like her old self. She became more playful and goofy. She hasn't growled at anything for the past couple days. She likes to lick our arms and legs and just really like being close to us at all times. All of those behaviors came back. We missed it! However, she has regressed back to the food guarding when food is in a bowl. We can hand feed her and now transition to eating right off the ground like we did before. So in a couple weeks we'll slowly introduce the bowl. She does fine with water though.

I'm pretty sure being in heat, then the stress and pain of surgery, plus the frustration of wearing the cone all added to her behavioral changes. We're so happy to have our lovable, goofy BT back.

If any of you are on instagram, look up the hashtag #almondbullterrier for pictures and videos of her! She was actually featured on Bark Box's instagram yesterday.
  • Thank you all for your advice and insight! I definitely know where to turn to if we encounter any problems in the future.
  • Little late on this one, but I would also discipline the second the growling started. Bullies take the give an inch, take a mile expression to a whole new level. You let them get away with something they will see how much longer they can get away with it next time. Also, make sure your wife is shelling out the discipline too. Especially if the action is towards her. If she is backing off or you're intervening the dog will sense weakness. She shouldn't back down.