Skip to content

Help with my bull terriers ears

Hi my bull terrier Diesel is 6 months old with large floppy ears although we love him the way he is we would love his ears up ,Should we tape or can someone advise if they will. Stand on their own
image.jpg
2592 x 1936 - 1M

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited July 2013
    You must tape them... It's not too late... Search the forum on "ears" .. You will find a ton of material on ear taping and other methods to help them up... My kids finally got theirs up at 8 months and 4 months work!! If you need more help shout.
    P.S. he's a beautiful boy!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • We have tried taping but are struggling with keeping the tape in place as he obviously hates it .can you advise the best method as we are desperately trying not to use the cone of shame if we can help it
    Okay... I think I have a solution for you but I just got to the office, monday morning and all that... Give me a couple of hours I'll post it.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • While Diesel is 6 months old, it is not to late to get the ears to stand up.  It just make take a little while longer.  Steve has included good links.  If you tape them correctly he will not be able to get them off.  The key is also to tape to the base of the ear.  This will keep him from scratching them off and scratching his ear.  While he may not like it to begin with, get him occupied for a few hours afterwards.  Don't let him win.  It is easier to give in to what he wants.  It took Phil a little while to get his to stand as well.  He got his to stand so he will have some good technics that worked for him.
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks for all the help guys we have taped his ears and used sports bandaging this time it seems to be very light weight and as yet has not bothered him fingers crossed he keeps it on tis time
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1008K
    image.jpg 1008.1K
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Start putting some Knox gelatin in his food which helps harden the cartilage in his ears.

In the event you notice him frantically trying to scratch off the tape you can always purchase a head cone from PetSmart.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    edited September 2014
    @Paulm:  The lightest tape structure that didn't bother our kids looked like this. You have to use the Sports tape, like the type shown or the ones they use for muscle support (strapping) in athletes. It's the only type that sticks well enough without wrapping. The weight and uncomfortableness is what bothers them. Measure the gap between the ears when held in the best position. Cut a piece of tape 1" longer. put a couple of (blunt) dinner knives on at the gap measurement, ie with 1/2" onto each knife blade. on the visible sticky surface put 2 x Q-tips, or even better 2 x breath-rite strips, for support so that the bridge doesn't collapse. Then put a second strip of tape on the front, sticky side, 1/2" longer than the gap.... ie.. 1/4" onto each knife blade.  Now you have two knives (standing in for the ears) with the tape front and back.  With ease you can loosen the tape from one knife and attach to the ear,,,, bigger flap goes on the back of the ear. You'll need someone's help to hold his head square and the second ear up while you strip the second side off the knife and put it on the ear level so it holds them up nicely.  He will hardly know it's there.  In my first picture I got it a little un-level.... second time we got it perfect  (but I didn't take a picture)...  After 2 weeks of this we got the end result, see pics next post.
    20130626_185955.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    20130626_185954.jpg
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
    Leukotape.jpg
    771 x 623 - 299K
    edited July 2013
    Start and finish
    MarcoEars5Months(b).jpg
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
    20130607_153040.jpg
    1874 x 2246 - 1M
  • I want his nose!!!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
    I think he is Premium, not Regular! :-))
  • The breeder we got him from had 4 EBT's 2 Dams that were the original EBT with the long pointed head an both sire's had the roman head shape all with full pedigree papers as Diesel has but I will be honest I did have my doubts to start with , so yhe answer is yes he is full EBT
  • Ok I was just wondering. Since he is then my point is now useless. LOL!!