Skip to content

Sunburn on my white bull terrier.

Claxxton, our new Bull Terrier gets sun burned easily.  I am looking for a solution, as we want to be able to leave him outside more for exercise. 

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited July 2013
    Just like us puny humans, SPF-32. They typically hate the heat after an half hour (if it's like 90, like it always is in FL)... we take ours out at 6:30am which is the only time it's bearable in summer... midday that are screaming; "kitchen tile, kitchen tile!".

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • LOL.  Yeah, we put Claxxton out in the early AM.  Bring him in when the sun comes out.  6AM to about 9AM, then again in late afternoon.  Otherwise his eyes & nose burns.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Out with the Tropical Vanilla or whatever, you might want to use that stuff called "Faces"? for near his eyes, otherwise it runs in the eyes and burns. Or the strong SPF that they use on babies faces.

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • IF burned put banana boats aloe after sun gel. It will take the burn away and yes do like all the above say ^ SPF that baby up;)
  • Snoopy gets red really fast.  Also, he HATES being hot.  He seeks out shady areas very quickly.
  • For our white BT we use the zinc oxide on her nose/snout. It's the sunblock that lifeguards use that makes their nose all white. She tends to rub it off when she's sniffing everywhere but I usually put a good layer on. Makes her snout look extra white! I put some on her white ear (the other is black). Her belly is prone to sunburn too but she rarely lies down in the sun to expose it.

Haven't tried it yet, but everyone recommends baby sun block. Around her eyes tends to burn, but normal sun block would irritate her eyes.

Overall I just try to not have her out in the sun for too long.
  • We use kids sunblock on Isis, but during the summer time we try to avoid the sun as much as possible.

Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC