Skip to content

If the leash fits....

I would really love everyone's various opinions on leash training. It reminds me a little bit of the post on Luna being scared of cars. Anyway, for a while I didn't think we would ever get Apollo to walk on the leash. One day my husband chose to walk in the other direction. Success! Turns out he didn't like the neighbors. (Can't say I blame him) The down fall of walking now is it's off the main road where cars go about 55 mph. Thankfully enough they either slow or move over when they see us. There's no sidewalks, just curvy country roads. When cars come from behind us, I move over as far as I can on the grass, stop and make Apollo sit. Which he does until the car gets closer and then he tries to take off and run away from it. Thankfully when we walk we put on the harness. After the car passes though, it seems he wants to chase it!!!! What can I do to calm him and at the same time keep him from ripping my shoulder out of the socket?? Though he's still a wee little boy now, There is no chance for me (5'1" @117 lbs) against an 80 lbs grown up total muscle EBT! Thank everyone in advance!!

Comments

• I'm no expert but with Spud I did a lot of leash training indoors with treats then transferred it outdoors. I've learned loose leash handling works properly as long as you give the nug of the leash during the snap of them either pulling or moving direction. For example when Spud makes his first attempt to pull as he's moving forward I give the leash a nug and its as he's about to lean but he's pulled back like slight whip lash.

My trainer said BT's are tough as nails because of their pure muscle so don't think at any time by the constant snaps that it hurts them. On an added note I switch from harness to leash.

Good luck.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    To get them used to the leash take them first where they love to go... Park, mall, Petco, fields, streams.... Then they'll love the leash and give you less of a hard time wearing it when you take them passed the boring neighbors place.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • My first thought was "this has to be the bullie stubborn side I keep hearing about". Then I was thrilled when my hubs got him to walk. We started leash training in the house. We would walk circles around the kitchen island and furniture. When we started outside he was unsure at first, but I started throwing treats down the road and he would walk to get them. Then there's that one house he refuses to go past. ~X(
    What do you mean when you say switched from harness to leash? Did you use a harness and just a collar and leash worked better? When I walk him I use the chest harness because if something scared him or he chose to be stubborn he'll pull backwards and try to back out of his collar. Almost got out of it once so I went for the vest. I have to add he does really well on the leash. I was so so excited when I could finally take him on a REAL walk. LOL. It's only when cars drive by that he turns into scared puppy and right into "I'm going to eat that big noisy thing that passed by". I need to figure out a way to get him to ignore the passing cars.
  • Soap, I never did get to your point. I will try it this afternoon when we go for our next walk. When I give the leash a tug and tell him come, he does. Just not with those cars.
  • Instead of having him sit when a car is near pick up the pace, the quicker u walk the less time hr has to concentrate on cars or the boogy man down the road. Treat him while and after tbe car is going by to keep his focus on you not the boogyman. I would use a collar and tighten it up not choking but so he can't get hid head thru leash correct when treats don't.
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • Get his focus. You are leading him not vice versa keep calm as to not expect his reactions negativly breath if you have to he can feel your tension. If moms upset than I should be worried right.
  • edited July 2013
    I'm still working with Selah on this. Leash training is hard! Selah does great for the most part, but when she's adamant on going a certain direction or to stay put she is very stubborn and seems to stare at me like "Moms I can wait here as long as I want. Yeah, you feel that breeze? Mmm lovely!" We are definately working on it!
  • I had one!!! My cleo would just lay down, she didnt mind at all to be drug either this works I promise, calm assertive energy as ceaser says and a lot of treats!!!!!
  • Took him for his evening walk. Every time he hears a car coming he puts the breaks on. He sat himself the first time, then hid behind my husband. The second time I told Chris "keep moving", and Apollo halted again. Chatted with Steve for a while. We're just going to give it some time. I'll update you guys in a week and tell you if there's still issues.
  • edited July 2013
    Sorry, I meant harness to collar. I want to use a prong collar but will be waiting until he's a year old.

I'm also working on this every day as this is on going until he does it no question. He's getting better and better every day other than small distractions and so far it's just been mainly other dogs in sight.
  • We walk twice a day so I'm hoping in maybe 2 weeks time his fears will calm. They are fast learners though. My husband was walking him and he heard a car coming and immediately sat. Then tried to book it once it got closer. It's funny because Chris will tell him something and Apollo will look at me before he does it!
  • I would try to kick the sitting when a car passes sooner rather than later. You give him that little bit he will take more next time. It will get worse. I started my guy off leash a lot around 11-12 weeks just so he could get used to what I want from him. This made on leash a little more difficult for me. He would put the full on brakes and if that wouldn't work immediately do the full on lay out back legs out like he was on a slip and slide. I was doing it already but I asked 2 trainers. One who is a top canine/protection dog trainer in the NE. They advised me to just drag him out and give him a little lift to get his front feet going again. If he was in pain you would know about it. When he went through this phase I walked him mostly on dirt/grass so he wouldn't get road rash. He slowly did it less and when he did it was shorter each time. We take him everywhere. Busy cities, high dog traffic areas where he hears sees tons of things. Nothing spooks him anymore. I used to get looks from people when going through this phase. But those were the same idiots who pick up their Pekingese or chihuahuas and coddle them everytime another dog walks by and reward them for bad behavior. :)

There will be good and bad days. As you already know don't get discouraged. If you catch yourself getting aggrivated/frustrated take a second and a deep breath and keep at it. We all do it sometimes. If you're in that kind of mood they feed off it and tend to be worse. Catch him the second he starts slacking off with a strong no and a tug to keep him moving along.

Also, I used a slip chain on him. If he's doing what he's supposed to do its just like having nothing on. Just hangs like a necklace. If not its just enough to make a little uncomfortable and fall back in line so it's loose again. I didn't use a regular collar much because they tend to make their neck raw if they are doing a lot of the stopping not wanting to walk stuff. They do some damage.
  • What Stvy said is correct. Every time he pulls or looks away quick correction is needed. The more you allow the more he will take. It's a hard process and even though I've been doing it for two months it still needs work.

Right now I'm doing a combo of both leash and no leash training. The leash is outside the dog park and when in I try to get him to heel with me since the park has a quarter mile lap that wraps around it. There are a few model dogs who follow their owners and walk with me which is encouraging Spud to heel. This also gets my morning walk/run since I do this for about 2-3 miles .

Good luck and keep us updated.

Mike
  • I'm about to take him for a walk in just a few. The reason I wanted him to sit when a car passed was just in case he ever got loose he would know how to sit and stay on the side of the road and not dart out into the street. My friend recommended either a harness that held the leash at his chest or a muzzle leash. She said they do not like being controlled by either points and will pull less. I'll have to keep my eye out. I tried turning his harness around, but then it wouldn't buckle. I love this forum so much. Thank you to everyone for their help!
  • Have you tried having them idle at a busy area? One thing I'd do with Spud is after he gets tired at the park I'd put him on leash and sit near the exit before leaving. There were in and out dogs as well as cars passing by and a soccer field across the way.

One he's lying down I'd watch over him but no eye contact unless he made a move to get up or was distracted by something. I knew he'd have energy to get to them but he's tired at this point usually and he knows its not worth it anymore. I've been doing this for about two weeks now and Spud has been good about any cars passing by, bikers and people on my lawn.

Mike
  • You just reminded me that today was the dog walk in the park! Ugg, I can not believe I forgot. Now that he's had all his shots, I'm not as concerned about taking him places. That's not a bad idea. I attached a photo of our property. Ours goes all the way down to the end, that's the main road. We walk to the right because the people who live to the left just let their dogs run loose. I could always bring a blanket down to the end of ours and pop a squat! He refused to walk earlier. We were playing with his piggy before we left and I think he was just too lazy. Still sleeping now. Stubborn oaf! LOL! But that's another great idea Soap, thanks!!!!
    KINDLE_CAMERA_1373112114000.jpg
    808 x 1296 - 260K
  • We have a big yard as well but now fenced in but that doesn't mean Spud can free roam. I purchased rope and have him tight to the tree in the middle of the yard. Every day at 5 after a walk or park we sit in the front. I eat then he does then we sit there for an hour until he potties or starts his sleep for the night.

This is when my family comes out ignores him for a second then he calms down and they greet him. So many distraction but you have to go through the motions and discipline as quickly as you can.
  • We still don't know what kind of fence were going to put up. We had it marked and one picked, but then Lowe's didn't have enough material. Now we're thinking about just doing the back. I sat at the end with him a little while ago. He's still not wanting to walk. I read that teething can play havoc with their training abilities. Possible factor?? Maybe?
  • I have an electric underground fence and love it.
  • We talked about that too. Does yours only work with a collar? I have neighbors down the road with 5 house
    dogs that run through our neighborhood. I want something that will keep them out. ( and from pooing in my yard)
  • Yea nope isn't gonna solve your problem gotta have a collar on.
  • I did a temporary chain link which will be replaced with white picket in the future. Reason why is I don't want the puppy doing damage now and it was cheaper until I get next summer to put in the new fence.
  • edited July 2013
    We unfortunately have a HOA, and can not put a chain link. Many of our neighbors are deceitful little trolls and would complain if we did. It's part of the reason, I don't discipline Apollo as much as I should outside. But White picket was exactly what I was thinking for the back!!!
  • Great info here. Definitely staying tuned. I'm sure Stogie will present us with many challenges on the leash.
  • No worries. If possible tying a rope to a tree or ground pole. I'd measure out the rope to the furthest possible point you want them to reach and let them play. May take months before u can do off leash but as long as you set the barriers and consistently bring them out there you should be good.

Like I said I incorporated eating dinner outside or being on my iPad while Spud plays and I correct on point for any behavior I deem unfit.. Up to you.
  • We took a walk last night and Apollo did good. My son went so I think he was happy to follow him. Still a little hesitant when the cars past but like Leslie suggested we trucked right on through it. Kept the leash tight and right up to my hip so he had no choice but to keep moving. Y'all ready for this one? My daughter went to spend the night at Steve's. So she hops the creek and guess who hauls his little booty full speed after her? Yup, Apollo! ;) Guess who also burst right into their house with not even a hello? Yup, Apollo!! That's karma!! ;) He was in TROUBLE!!!
  • Awsome I hope you treated and praised like crazy!!!!! And Apollo BAD DOG!!!!
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Yes, that was actually pretty funny. Apollo busted through the door and stood there looking at 4 other adult Bullies who were wondering if he came over to play. Chris was quickly in tow to retrieve Apollo and didn't look to happy about his escape. However, I can remember a time or two when Rocky ventured across the creek to visit some Bullie lovers who treated him to much affection. I think I have trained now to know his boundaries and he's become a good listener. I think I still have some training to do on a couple others like Deuce. She's still young. I guess that's what I get for allowing my dogs freely roam around my property. Apollo is a chip off the old block.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • LOL too cute! Bully persistence, he'll learn boundaries soon enough though. A good recall helps a ton with it, but oi can bullies be sneaky. Dozer is much better but used to have a bad habit of 'greeting' people at the gate for the dog park, only to plow through it as soon as it opened to play with the dogs on the other side. He is quite the social butterfly sometimes...
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Makoa does the "Plow through the door" thing too, especially at night. There can nothing outside at all that would warrant her excitement but every night she acts as though there's a dire emergency to go outside and once the door is slightly open she pushes through at 100mph.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Don't tell Chris, but I stood behind the door and laughed when he was walking back across the creek with Apollo. It was bound to happen! And it will happen again I'm sure. Rocky is doing outstanding. He could have easily ran over here Saturday morning, but stayed on his side of the creek. Apollo was barking and for the life of me couldn't figure out why. Then I saw Rock just sitting there! He's a good boy!!!
    Took Apollo to the dog park on base this afternoon. It was raining so we were the only ones there. Apollo is the most stubborn arse I have ever met! LMAO!!! Every time we called his name, he'd look at you and as soon as you said "come" he'd turn away like he never heard! Silly puppy!!!!!! Wanted nothing to do with the agility track, but was excited to run around and smell.