Skip to content

Frequent baths?

I ask a lot of questions but its just what's best for Spud. I've been taking him to the dog park 1-2 times a day after 15 minute walks. At the park he plays a lot especially with older dogs in the dirt and sometimes mud. I was normally wiping him down with wet rags and a weekly bath but I hear giving baths might be too much every week.

What I do now is simply wash them down with water and wipe them clean. Just seeing what's safe for Spud.

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited July 2013
    I was thinking of posting the same question. The kids go on a field run every morning for about 45 minutes... They're in lakes, puddles, mud & muck... In FL most water is rancid and toxin filled... ( we do officially live in a swamp you know ) so they get a bath every day. I'm afraid not to as that funky stuff on their skin can do no good. But I use Johnson's Baby Bedtime Wash ( Mr Johnson please send cash for the plug)... I think it's mild enough to keep out the funk and not strong enough to cause skin & coat dehydration... Input please from anyone smarter?... Yes, that means you.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I give our dogs baths all the time. For the last few weeks we were getting so much rain that every time the dogs went outside to play they'd get all muddy so I was washing them daily. I don't use any harsh shampoos with chemicals that can dry out their skin or cause irritation. Just water and Dawn. Never had any problems.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Lol. We need answers pronto! Anyways I do use soap once a week like I said. Since he's an indoor dog, not like he would be outdoors, but I want to keep him tidy just like me.
  • I think bathing them regularly is just fine. Hell, Ruth went out and bought Maya some fancy Paul Mitchell stuff. She's got the whole nine yards, shampoo, conditioner, and whatever else came in the box. I would suspect that regular baths are OK as long as the bullie has healthy skin & coat in the first place.
  • Paul mitchel has a shampoo called super bright that works greaton white fogs but dawn soap works better on cleo for the urine stains.
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • Yeah...I'm going with Dawn on Maya once she runs out of the designer stuff!
  • Dawn is cheaper!!! I don't know about Maya but Cleo is a dirty girl!!! Must be because she's white or maybe the look of horror on my face tips her off when she comes in after a good roll in the dirt!!!!
    1374587911018.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • Sounds good guys. I'd like Spud to be able to sleep on my bed when I'm home so he's comfy but only if he's been washed. I swear every time Spud wrestles another dog he likes to lay on the floor in submission but get so dirty all I think is you're lying in pee and poop. Then again if I can play in dirt with no thought of cleanliness I'd do the same.

Mike
  • Maya is into anything dirty. At the dog park she hogs all the good mud holes.
  • I've wondered why they call them pig dogs I don't wonder anymore!!!!!
  • I also use Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo for Apollo, once a week. Phil, you can share the cash on that plug! ;)
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    @Leslie:  you really have to stop peeing on your dog!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Thanks for the reminder Phil!!!!!!  :-SS