Skip to content

how to get a bull terrier not to be afraid of men?

So I got my bull terrier leela when she was a little puppy and raised her and she just turned 7 months this month. Well she loved every one, women and men wanted to play with everything and anything! Well a couple of months ago me and my husband went to Vegas for just a 2 day trip for the weekend and our friends watched her. He has two other dogs that she loves to play with. Anyways they have roommates and the one guy doesn't really like dogs and every one in the house has seem him hit the dogs when they arnt even his.... Once I got leela back she was different. We live in a ln apartment and so I got out side with her to potty well this one guy was walking by and didn't even look at leela and leela was in attack mode all her hair on the back of her neck all the way down to her tail was standing up and now every time she sees a male at all she's in attack mode its scary..... I don't know what to do bc I'm moving back to my parents house bc my husband is getting deployed and idk what she's ganna do about my dad and brother. She doesn't bite or anything and if I pick her up she does better around guys petting her and stuff. Is there any training to do with her to snap her out of it? Also she is very skittish of almost everything around her to.... Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    It may not be an "attack mode" like you think. Chances are she's a little nervous around adults because she probably was tormented and possibly smacked around by the people YOU left her with while you were gone.

She's at an age where she's learning and trying to adjust her dominance, aggression, loyalty, and other temperament moods and characteristics. She will most likely act out more so when she's on her own turf and when you're in the immediate area. BT's often raise their hair if they see a stranger in or close to their property and YES, they will bark and try and sound all mean and nasty. Let them lose and they will most likely run a little closer to the "intruder" and give out a few more warning barks. In the event the person was to walk up to the dog they would most likely sense no reason for alarm especially with you there showing no worries. It's about that time where the tail starts wagging and the BT starts bothering the individual for attention.
    Try allowing her to socialize with more people. Take her away from her comfort zone at the house and bring her into PetSmart with you or take her to a park. She'll draw in a crowd anywhere you take her and she can get the opportunity to interact with others.
    Have a friend of yours come to your house and let them know you want to train your Bull Terrier to react appropriately when she comes in contact with a stranger. I think that will help a lot and provide you the opportunity to discipline her in the event she shows any type of true aggression.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I hope that person doesn't get a hold of any other animal. I have a feeling he hit them pretty hard since BT's are tough as nails. I would give Spud a small smack on the rump with a loud no at times to calm him down but nothing to cause any pain. The water bottle still works for me.

Always I'm no expert and I hope Spud keeps his cool around anyone at all times. So far he's been good around small children as long as they do not excite them and other people. He's been doing 20 minute walks in the morning followed by a visit to the park at 8am then another visit around 5pm. If you have the time it's worth the trip to try and rehabilitate them this way.

• Yeah I work at petsmart I'm actually a groomer so I bring her to the store a lot and did puppy training and she does great until a male is near and then she wants to run away or just stairs at them with her hair up. I'm always calm but she just gets to worked up about it. But when she starts getting nervous and barking I tell her to sit and she immediately sits and thats when she starts calms and her hair starts going down. I'm just glad that even though she's worked up about stuff she listens good.
  • I would try to find out what exactly this douche bag did to her and go from their. I surley hope you don't leave her their again!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • Second I would have any male you come in contact with treat her for a while so she associates males with treats. Keep in mind dogs are very intuative and she just won't care for some.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    You probably won't like this suggestion ... but it might help if you got the douche bag to come into the store every day and kiss her arse until she forgives him.... If he is totally submissive to her it may go a long way to her forgiving the rest of us.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    edited July 2013
    ^@Leslie - That's a very good idea. :-bd

Phil's idea is pretty good too!
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • The douche only likes cats and don't worry I will never let her go over there with out me or my husband there. I already told my husband that I will have a word with him about it the next time I see him. He told me he's probably ganna lie about it saying he didnt do anything but I will do anything and everything to scare the crap out of him like he did to my dog... I'm Puerto Rican Im good at it hahaha!!! But I know everyone that lives in the house absolutely hates him and wants to kick him out..... I'm just really really upset that anyone would do such things to hurt an animal and especially mine.. but I will probably always have treats with me just for those moments when there's a male present. But I have been doing walks daily with her and she's getting the hang of it now. I try to do 2 a day one in the morning and one in the evening. She gets a little scared to about kids she sees them and wants to run th other way but now that we see them on a daily basis she kinda puts the brakes but ill tell her come on in a calm voice and she will just walk right next to me. I'm definitely seeing an improvement!!!
  • I like Phils idea however I am sure he will not do that.  Leslie has a great idea of treating, and men spending time with her will get her trust back.. 
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • I would not allow petting at this point either unless she askes. I would do this with kids as well. No touch talk or eye contact untill she is ready for that anf shows no signs of fear or nervousness. She will ask to be touched when she's ready....Cesar is my TV boyfriend :D and you guys thought I was the smarty pants didn't ya!!!
  • My pit I had for 14 yrs. Was beat and kicked around at a pig farm for most of her early life. You coudnt look at her from across a room or she would pee herself. Male or female. It took me a LONG time to gain her trust and the only male around was my Dad at 6'3 can you say intimadating if your knee high to a grasshopper. He would shuck her peanuts and hand feed her she would inch closer and closer gradually and evetually her front feet founf their way on his lap one day. If he talked she peed. It took years to build her confidence. This is an extreme case but near the same issue. The sooner you work with her the better because the longer she has to ponder the bad experience the longer it will take too change her mind.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    @ Leslie;  If you dad's still around thank him for me, great that he had the patience and the knowledge that he would win her over finally, poor baby. People sometimes are not worth dog shyte.

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • My dad was sooo mad at me for bringing  a pitbull home he was spitting at the bottom of the stairs it went something like " Leslie do you know what kinda dog this is, if it so much as growels at ........" bla bla bla bla I think she wore him down :D God rest her precious soul. I might be stange but I promised her I would never leave her and so I had her creamated, her remains will be barried with me. I will tell him Phil:)
    1374609882401.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • Aww that is so sweet Leslie! Yeah I'm lucky to bring my bull terrier home to live with my parents for year haha!!! My husband is getting deployed.and he wants another bull terrier and my dad was like ur even lucky u get to bring Leela but u can wait on the second one LOL. Both my parents are allergic to dogs hair and dander :(