Skip to content

Tick Repellent Recipe for Pets and People

BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
edited July 2013 in General
It's summer! Time for camping, hiking and getting outside to play. Don't let those pesky annoying ticks stop you. Here's how with a simple homemade solution!

Repellent for your pets:
For pets, add 1 cup of water to a spray bottle, followed by 2 cups of distilled white vinegar. Ticks hate the smell and taste of vinegar, and will be easily be repelled by this ingredient alone. Then, add two spoonfuls of vegetable or almond oil, which both contain sulfur (another natural tick repellent).

To make a repellent that will also deter fleas, mix in a few spoonfuls of lemon juice, citrus oil, or peppermint oil, any of which will repel ticks and fleas while also creating a nicely scented repellent. Spray onto the pet's dry coat, staying away from sensitive areas including eyes, nose, mouth, and genitals. When outdoors for an extended period, spray this solution on two to three times per day.

For you and your family:
In a spray bottle, mix 2 cups of distilled white vinegar and 1 cup of water. To make a scented solution so you do not smell like bitter vinegar all day, add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil.

Eucalyptus oil is a calm, soothing scent that also works as a tick repellent, while peppermint and citrus oils give off a strong crisp scent that also repel ticks.

After mixing the solution, spray onto clothing, skin, and hair before going outdoors. Reapply every four hours to keep ticks at bay, and examine your skin and hair when back inside to make sure no ticks are on the body.

- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments

• I am going to make this and put it on his feet and legs!!! That's were I find them all except for the 2 on his face! I also have to add that after we switched back to Advantix II, I've only pulled 2 ticks off conspired to 5! Thanks for posting this!
  • Awsome thanks for sharing :-bd
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • I have been seeing this recipe float around FB for past few months. Has anyone tried it yet? I'm going to give it a try soon and continue to do so as long as the lemon juice negates the the vinegar smell. Would be horrible to have a dog that reeks of vinegar around the house.
  • So I have used this well over a dozen times. I have only pulled off 2 ticks since. Once he went in the water about 10 minutes after applying so it probably just washed right off. The other time the tick was on his face where I don't come close to spraying. He also uses advantix 2. Ticks have probably been a little less active since the heat wave we got dwindled away(was really humid for a while). It has been a little more dry lately. I'm sure that factors in a little.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Ticks are strong rough riders and can be found on a dog with use of the best meds and sprays. I haven't heard of anything that was 100% effective especially in areas that have many ticks.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited August 2013
    Wow thanks, will use this! Wish it worked on Mosquitos too!
  • I never expect anything to completely work. I'm just surprised how few I've pulled off since I've added this to the arsenal. Could just be coincidence. I always do tick checks during hikes, after, and when we return home. We are in a high tick population area. He is also off leash most of the time. I avoid high grass/open fields with high grass at all costs though. Which is usually a hot spot for them to grab on. 
    edited August 2013
    That's great news to hear and I really appreciate you posting about the effectiveness you've noted. It isn't expensive to purchase the ingredients and anything that can authentically be used as a preventative to ticks is good in my books.

By the way, I love the new photo of your gorgeous Bullie you're using as your avatar!

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I want to comment on this thread to bring it back up to the top field. Has anyone tried this yet? I think I am going to make this mixture up today. Apollo had a big tick on his belly yesterday. That thing did not want to come out. :(
  • edited April 2014
    I just started using it again a couple of days ago. Check my comments a few posts up. I haven't started the advantix back up yet. Doesn't hurt to try it
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited April 2014
    Steve, I meant to ask you... In the original picture you posted?... How did you get all the different sized ticks to line up like that?, impressive!!.... I've heard of getting all your ducks in a row, but man, you NC boys are something else! :@)
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    Thanks Phil, but as you probably already know I spent 21 years in the Marine Corps. With that said all I needed to do was yell out "FORMATION" and the ticks fell in and cover and aligned.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Just bringing this discussion up again for new members who may not have seen this discussion.  :)>-

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    I mixed a batch, sprayed some on me and now the wife won't come near me...Viola!  J/K =))

On a serious note, I'll mix a batch and spray it on Raider.  Thanks :-bd
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    @Seon... Yeah, she preferred the fleas better :))
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.