Skip to content

First real health scare

Last Thursday Thibodaux got into my purse. i am constantly scanning my apartmebt abd pickig up anything in her trach that she shouldnt chew up (shes gotten better, but still a baby). I had my purse hanging on the corner of my headboard. i went to the restroom and came back and she had chewed through a tube of lipstick and a pack of gum out of my purse. The later that day she sbatched an entire chicken sabdwhich off the counter and it was gone in one gulp. It was frustrating but no reason to be terribly concerned. When she was a wee one I would find all kinds of little interesting things in her poop. I let her sleep with me that night because we spent about 3 hrs playing in the park and figured she would pass out and not roam my room. She got up a few hours later and vomited all over my bed. The quantity was unusual. Of course everything she ate was now on my bed, but I figured she just needed to get it out of her system and would feel fine. So I cleaned up and put her in her kennel for the night.

I woke up the next morning and found it strange that she didn't wake up when I came out of my bedroom. Well she was unconscious laying in a crate full of totally liquid dark brown diarrhea and more vomit and was covered. I got her out and she was very lethargic and would not hold up her head and was shaking. I have her some water and went into hysterics and called the vet. I was very upset because every vet I called would not see me until the next day or later and would not even listen to what was going on and give me advice on what to do. Everytime I would try to explain they would say that I could explain at my appointment the next day. At this point I was thinking there might not be a tomorrow for her and voiced this to everyone I talked to and they were not sympathetic or interested. Just wanted me to get in line and give my check when it came time. Luckily after she drank two bowls of water she started walking and around and wagging her little tail. She just got stronger and stronger during the day and was herself just tired that night. Well I figured she just had an upset tummy and I was overreacting being a first time puppy owner. I grew up With dogs but this is the first I've bought and have full responsibility of (I'm 24). She is fine now, thank goodness. I couldn't stop crying because I thought I was going to lose her. I've only had her for 5 months but she's my best friend and has helped me with the loneliness of moving across the country and not fitting in.

A couple of days later I went to get some ibuprofen out of my purse and they were all gone except 1. I felt so guilty when I realized what had happened. I really do try to provide a safe environment for her. Little stink head outsmarts me sometimes. I am so thankful and lucky that I did not lose her as ibuprofen is VERY toxic to dogs. Her stools and eating habits have been totally normal since and it seems that she has fully recovered. I would have never forgave myself if Something terrible had happened as a result. I think she yat have a guardian angel. Anyway, I'm So thankful that my baby is okay and I'd urge everyone to be reallllly mindful Of where things are in your space even if it seems nearly impossible for then to get into make sure it is totally impossible. Stay safe Bullie community! XOXO
image.jpg
3264 x 2448 - 2M

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Man ! That was a real health scare! You are soooooo lucky! When they are small and quick and curious they will find ANYTHING that they shouldn't when they won't even play with the toys you bought. The other day I lost $100, literally, when I left some bills on the entry table... Marco ate them all.... But man you were lucky!!! NO drugs, or chemicals, or cleaners, or makeup, even chocolate (can be lethal).... I am soooo glad she is fine.... I tell you, if you'd lost her, you'd have a fortune in psychiatrist's bills.....
    NOW is the time to find a 24hour pet emergency clinic.... we live in the boonies and know exactly where there is one 20 minutes away and have their number on speed dial.  Give her a big hug from me and give yourself a big hug from yourself.... shyte happens, make sure it doesn't again.... get baby locks on cupboard doors if need be..... I'm so glad for you she's recovering DANG!!!

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I know that I got lucky this time so I have to make sure there's not a next time. I just moved into a new place and its about four times the size of my other place and 110 years old so there's lots of strange doors and little through rooms. At my other place I could tell exactly where she was from anywhere in the apartment. I have to shut her in whatever room I'm in at the new place because a lot of the doors don't catch so she can push them open and every room in the house is connected by doors. She's just exploring the apartment right now. She's already figuring out which areas she is free to roam and which she is not. Nice thing is she is doing much better with holding her pee in the new place because we've established a new routine and she's not stuck in her puppy habits of peeing in the same places at the old place. Once my sister and friend move in the space will make more sense to her as far as what area belongs to who. They both have dogs so she will be happy.
    Ours are 6 1/2 months old.... If they are not in their crates (which place they only sleep really)... He is by my feet, and she is at my wife's feet.... or on a lead so they can roam 6ft from us, no further. If we leave them for 5 minutes (so they can swallow $100!) we are almost sure there is nothing for them to eat, because they'll eat ANYTHING! They do spend a lot of time on the patio and have learned not to eat the plants or patio furniture.... but there's nothing out there besides pool tools and barbeque stuff. Pantry, garage, bathrooms are all forbotten!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • You dodged a bullet on that one.  I am glad she is better.  All of us own Bullies and have had these scares.  Find the Emergency vet and put their number in speed dial.  Make sure you know how long it takes to get there and their hours.  Some are not manned 24 hours and you will need to call when en route to ensure the Vet comes in.
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • I know you just moved.  Is your normal vet someone you called?  If so, I would be looking for a new vet worthy of taking care of your baby. 
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    That was a very close call. My worry is that the amount of ibuprofen pills she ate could have done damage to her liver or kidney. Tylenol or advil when taken in excess is Very dangerous and is actually one of the leading pills used in suicide. For dogs even small amounts can result in renal failure and be fatal. She is Very lucky she didn't die. Right now your dog could be dangerously dehydrated and I'd be forcing her with a lot of water and vegi broth for the rest of the day.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Omg sweetie that was so close u must of been so frighten but thank god shes ok u have to have your eyesceverywhere with our puppys I must say my house is not a big house but I never ever leave her unatended never if I go into the kitchen she comes if I cleaning upsrairs she goes in her crate im watch her every move ive made sure nothing is about that can harm her puppys are harder than a new born baby anyday cause they will eat anything u need eyes up your arse lol I'm glad shes on the mend big hugs to u both makecall areas safe as u can x
  • Gatorade has electrolites and they usually like thetaste. Great for hangovers and all kinds of ddehydration issues....
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
    I've never heard the expression; "eyes up your arse" before.... But I think it a qualification that all owners of young Bullies need to find/..Or grow?
  • This happened a week ago tomorrow. Luckily she only had 3 ibuprofen be ause the bottle was almost done, still very harmful though. Her poops, eating habits, etc. are all back to normal. I've taken her to a few vets and honesty, the spca wellness clinic has been the best. We are blessed with an awesome spca in baltimore with loving and passionate staff. They are closed on on Fridays so I had to call elsewhere. And trust me, it only took me one day to grow eyes up my arse haha. I'm taking her to the clinic tomorrow to get her ear checked- lots if yucky dark brown wax so Ill talk to them about what happened. Thanks for all the support. You guys are helping me learn how to be the best mommy I can to her!
    I'm so glad you've learned.. And so glad you've grown the ”eyes" , haha.... I pray all remains good with her, she is such a beauty. For the ear wax you have to have a good ear cleaner and clean them deep every couple of days... If its a good cooling cleaner ( that smells good) she'll love it ... Be on the lookout for yeast infections, if you notice the inside of the ears becoming rough and dry and scaly ... You'll need an ointment for that... Did she get my hug.?
  • I clean her ears with a cotton ball And a but if peroxide about once a week. She is really good about me fooling with her ears as bathing her but the last couple of times (since she has this build up of dark wax) she seemed really irritated and uncomfortable which makes me think there is a problem. What ear cleaner do you suggest? Their ears are so wide open it seems they get dirty quick. And she's got huge ones haha.
  • I feel like every time I post I see tons of errors afterward. I haven't gotten Internet in my new place yet so it is all typed in my phone! I apologize.
    Yes. The challenge with ears is you have to get deep down without pushing the wax/ crud down further. You can get ear cleaner at the pet store, although your vet might have a better quality. If it is sensitive and she winces or doesn't enjoy it you may have an infection brewing.
  • HeatherNicole I got choked up reading that. I can't imagine how scared you were. And shame on those vet offices. I am really happy for both of you that she is ok now.
  • Appolllosmama, thank you, I'm very lucky a grateful to still have her with me and no permanent damage was done (vet confirmed today). If anything good came of it I learned to be more careful and how important she is to me. I'm not a cryer but I was emotionally destroyed. I look forward to meeting someone, getting married, and having kids and she will be my best friend through all of it and grow with my family :)
  • Every happily ever should include a Bull Terrier! <:-P
  • The eyea r back pmsl im so glad your baby ok its heartbreaking that u both had to go threw that glad shes back on track . Sophie ears get rotten I do them every 2-3 days I do them when shes eating otherwise shes like a horse rearing up she hates it but will allow me to do them while shes eating I use axwet wipe with olive oil drops on it and it does the trick .