Skip to content

"Chicco"

BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
This discussion was created from comments split from: Skin Allergies.
- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments

• What's wrong with my chico??? He has sores and missibg hair on face and tail?? :(
    20130527_160803.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 4M
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    @Tosha - He's having some skin allergies, that's for sure. I'd be willing to bet he's being fed kibble high in grain. I'd also say he's less than 20 months of age.

My recommendation would be to put him on better diet as described in: http://bulliesofnc.com/bull-terrier-nutrition

I'd put some "Bag Balm" on his bald spots as well to get those areas healing better and faster. I'd also recommend providing him with NuVet supplements to bump up his immune system which may be lacking right now due to his young age.

Follow these suggestions and post an updated photo in 4 weeks. I promise you'll see a drastic change.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited May 2013
    White Bullies can have a lot of skin issues and, as Steve says, starts with diet as a major factor. Watch out for every treat or tidbit he may be getting... one little thing can do it all. Additional factors are just about anything that gets on skin, from grass fertilizer or insecticide, to sprinkler water if its lake or well water. Some plants and wild grasses too. With our white, (and our brindle eats the same) we have to wash her down after every outing. Make sure he has Grizzly oil in the diet. If his undersides are raw then I recommend the spray attached image... Spray on and let dry b4 he can lick or rub off. That Bag Balm is the bomb for noses.
    The spray is called Benasoothe Conditioner.
    image.jpg
    171 x 128 - 10K
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Ok thanks guys so much ill get on it.. we been feeding him purina dog food and left overs and raw meat occasionally...  Hopefully this will work out for him I feel horrible. ..
    Yeah, Purina is junk... They should be arrested for ripping people off.... Leftover meat could be okay... But not if it has/had marinade, spices, salt, pepper etc. or cooked with oil. I've heard of people who have had their BTs on perfect food, but it all got screwed up with the particular treats they bought.. Can't be too careful... Change from the Purina to something recommended on this site, slowly, over a couple of weeks, otherwise his digestive system will also get a shock.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Tosha does he live inside or outside? It kind of looks like he has been rubbing his face on a fence.
    Or on his crate... Bag Balm much needed...
    Bag Balm to the rescue!!!  \m/

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • He outside... ok this is what I did.. no dog store boughten dog food just our left overs each day and I cleaned out cage and put cut dry grass down as bedding (even though I heard can cause allergies) regular baths with DAWN soap who knew lol and put petroleum jelly the kind for babies that's all I had.. and got improvements, hair now growing on tail and face ;)
  • Heres my chicco now
    20130616_203751.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • Here's before and after
    PicsArt_1371606838792.jpg
    480 x 640 - 307K
    Great job! Glad he's looking better... actually he looks like a totally different dog! Fabulous! So glad you care and it's working.... Is there any way of getting him away from the wire cage that he is apparently roughing himself up on....???... How old is he? he seems much more like a puppy now?
    Success! I Big improvement. He actually looks younger now. Good job!!!

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks ;) he's about 2yrs old.. we need to get new cage thats a hole my hubby made for a cantainer to hold his food but chicco tore it down lol.. ya he looks totally different he's even playing a lot more ;)
  • Thank you guys for all the tips ect to get my chicco on track to better health
    Based on his current living area you're going to have to be more attentive to his skin and overall health. Having a Bull Terrier reside outside is difficult unless you have it set up appropriately for him. While he's still young (almost 2) things will only get more difficult as he gets older. He will be prone to getting calluses, skin problems, ear infections, and other detriments unless you attend to him daily. Are you separating him with your other dog or dogs? I mention that only because I noticed the tip of his ear bitten off. Anyhow, you have him looking much better and with consistent dedication he will improve and sustain a nice healthy appearance and improved health. Keep us posted on his progression.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Hi tosha hes looking alot better glad he has improved bet hes alot happier in him self I hope u dont mind me asking but why does in live out im not being noisey just wondered .
  • He's outside cause of couple reasons 1 husband really don't like animals in the house that aren't trained 2 he gets so excited he's running and bouncing of everything even knocking over my 4 yr old and 1 yr old.. Lol he a lil tornado.. and he partially deaf so I say something he can really hear..
    And I don't know how to train my stubborn egg head..we got him when he was one year old.

We had to separate him from our other female bullie due to cause she was really aggressive with him he just wanted to play and she didn't want nothing to do with him lol so we sold her. But now she is pregnant so we might get a pup from her so we can get have a friend for chicco and also so we can raise it to be good with our kids. 
  • No offense, you can't control the one you have and say you don't know how to train it. Yet you want to introduce another future tornado into the equation? Just sounds kind of irresponsible to me. I'm not sure how much he is caged up/left alone in a yard. But I've seen it too many times where people just throw their dog outside, give no attention to it then bring them inside and are dumbfounded why they are going ballistic. I'm not making any assumptions but the problem at hand should be cared for before something new is brought in.
  • Amen Stvy, the 2 yr. Old pup could be trained to be good with the children could it not? You could use this forum to learn to train him its extremely helpful I promise. also the crazy boundless energy is probably because this dog has been put in a cage and not given any attention for days on endI'm sorry to be so blunt but a bull terrier needs lots of exercise and craves human attention I don't believe this dog is getting either. train him make him part of your family then get him a friend just my opinion and again I apologize for being so blunt :-S
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
    Tosha,
    We all know that ballistic bullies are not the easiest to bring up... most of us have chewed or broken furniture to prove it... but they are a special breed that need a lot of care, love, human companionship and understanding.... Hey! that's just like people!..... Everyone here would be only too happy to help you with advise and input as to how you can solve all those issues, but it will take a whole lot of effort on your part.
    Bullies are much loved and wanted by many who understand them.... if we can't help, or if you don't believe you have the resources or time to bring up this difficult breed, I am sure that Chicco is not too old to be adopted by some environment that doesn't have small kids or other dogs to contend with.... think about it... we'll do anything for Chicco.
  • edited June 2013
    Tosha thank u for being honest bur I have to speak my mind I am by no means a bullie expert ive had my first bullie for nearly two months but one thing I do know is they crave human contact and plenty of exercise . but I must say I fill very sad knowing he is living in the back yard he probaly goes even more nuts when hes indoors because he is happy to be there I would also be concerned that he is being seperated from the children which could cause problems later for u with them if he is kept away from them I inly got my bully when my dauggter turned old enough to be able to handle a knock or too I can go on a 2 hour walk or be out over the fields for the sane and shes still like a bull in a china shop I find ut hilarious watching her charge around banging into things this is what bullys do I really dont think getting another bully is a good idea if yoyr husband doesnt like dogs in the house that r not clean for it to have to be put out in the yard with your other dog.
  • I would seriously consider thinking what is best for him being in a yard spending his life there ir rehoming him so he can have a life he deserves I am by know means digging u out or being narsty I just can picture his little face out side and I bet he loves u soooo much and just wants to be with his family .
  • Oh ya he loves to play with us a lot and we go walking every day.. He knows 3tricks so far lol just sit crawl and spin right now we working on the stay part.. Also he's around are kids to a point I don't like him knocking over kids and start humping them lol chicco is very affectionate he absolutely lovrs to cuddle after his walks/runs after his tornado energy is gone lol he takes me for walks he's so strong takes all I got to hold him back ( that's another thing I got to work on with him is to heal)
    My hubby don't like them in house if they not trained.. So how do I get him to not MARK his spots/potty train him is it to late??
    All your thoughts ect are helpful as you can tell this is my 1st bullie he's my lil stinker love that egg head....
    So today we were playing outside and we had a chicken get loose and he omg he ate it you think he will be ok I mean its chicken its protien.. I was telling him no but he is deaf but who could resist a chicken #-o
  • edited June 2013
    Stick your husband out there where the dog lives and let him get a little taste of what it's like. No sympathy here (except for Chicco). You either make arrangements to properly care for him or consider someone else that would provide the proper environment for him to live a long and healthy life.
    • Hearing Impaired (DEAF)
    • "Trained?" to SPIN
    • Skin and Allergy Problems
    • Dog Aggression
    • No genetic Testing
    • Etc

Not the makings for a "Stud" dog for anyone to breed. I understand you may have already bred him since you have expectations to receive a puppy from the litter but due to the genetic faults of Chicco I don't think you'd be doing the breed a favor by adding more puppies into the world that will share the same health issues that Chicco possesses.

You'll never have a puppy survive if the mother is left outside, stressed, and unhealthy. Adding a new puppy to your family may not be a good idea. As mentioned earlier Bull Terriers require a lot of attention, training, and dedication just like several other breeds of canine. Chicco will be twice as hard since he's handicapped with deafness.

I guarantee you things will become more difficult for you with Chicco the longer he stays cooped to the cage you have him in with only a plastic 55 gallon drum as refuge from inclement weather. He's not even 2 years of age and in all reality this should be when he's looking his best.

The "Spinning" you mentioned training him to do is actually a disorder and can become a bog concern. If he's spinning while cooped in his kennel it's due to stress and/or psychological issues.

Nobody on this forum is trying to be mean in any way but based on the photos and what you've described about Chicco there are some serious concerns and the only way to correct the problems are to start by correcting the way you are raising him.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • He only spins when I make a hand signal.. he's not aggressive(that was other dog)he's a sweet heart loves to cuddle, allergies better cause of change of diet I never mentioned breeding him. He's got doghouse that drum is for food.... he plays every day with me in back yard and we go for daily walks its not like he's in cage all day every day...
  • Most of us on here think of our dogs as our children literally. Would you put either of you children in that cage, throw it some scrapes and get it out for a little while each day to play, then the whole rest of the time its left to its own devices...... do You find this to be sufficient for your child....if your feeling some animosity so are we. most of us wouldnt leave our child to their own devices in a cage everyday all day even if you are getting them out in a couple hours a day to play and so on this isn't sufficient for any living thing I grew up with a dad that used to think this was okay to to put his dog in cages and that's where they live everyday all day throwing a little bit of food maybe that's why I'm being so harsh now is because I grew up like to I choose to do things differently for my pets and everyone on here is basically stating the same we wish for all bullies to have only the best there are many on here who could give you great advice on what things to change such as the dog house I don't know if it's heated or where you live but is the dog being kept warm, provided the correct food and love and affection it deserves?? I understand what it's like to have small children have little time that is why its been brought up that you take the dog in the house train it and make it part of your family because these dogs are our familyI hope it helps you understand where everyone is coming from on here we do not wish to hurt your feelings we are just trying to help you and your boy.
    edited June 2013
    Tosha, I know you want the best for Chicco, you obviously care enough to be trying everything you know how.... it shows that there is already an improvement. This is good. The members of this forum are for the most part Bully Fanatics,... and therefore they get more than a little touchy when they think that a Bully isn't getting the very best chance in life. I understand this is your first Bully and that's okay, I am sure everyone here will try and contribute as much positive help as they can. Bully's are very special, I feel you are getting to experience that specialness and see how much they NEED people and attention. I'm glad he gets the exercise and is a quick learner.  Let's try things one step at a time and we will see if we can help with each issue.  I think the biggest part is getting him inside.  In order to slow the ballistic bully down, take him inside on a lead, when he runs rampant you need to shout NO! and control him physically. When he calms down you need to give him a treat and a hug.... you need to do this every day, twice a day at least, for as long as you can. I guarantee you if you do this, within two weeks you'll be able to take the lead off.  He will start again going a little crazy when he is not controlled, but you need to keep up the same reactions.... reward when good, punish when bad.
    The absolute same with pooping and peeing inside.... treats and praise for outside, punishment an "NO" for inside.... You'll see, if you do this every time within a month he will learn, it's never too late, just harder. If he is really deaf then you will have to shout "NO" near his ear so he gets the negative vibration.... the kisses and hugs he'll have no trouble recognizing.  I am glad you are using hand signs, (too difficult for me), but stop using the "spin" one. You can do it, he will love you more than any dog you've known
  • Ok thanks philsergeant and leslie.. ill try that starting today with the lead.. Are cut up hotdogs ok to use for treats or should I buy a certain kind??

How do we get him not to mark his territory in house??
  • Whatever treats he works for will be just fine!!! A swat on the rump and a firm no for the territory thing its not his its yours and its dissrespectful of him!!! Imagine your young child doing something naughty.... handle him the same way...scold and so on...... good luck!
    Marking the territory is just the same as peeing, from a correction point of view, marking inside ~ punishment, marking outside ~ treat.... Cut up hotdog sausages are fine, throw me some too, I luv 'em. Don't forget he feels your every emotion, so he'll know when you are pleased and unpleased... Just tell him too.
    P.S. if you want to share your address I can send you a whole boat load of treats we don't use... I can give you my email address so you don't have to share your address here.
  • Oh ok what's your email????
    What kind of dog food you use??? So I know what kind I can buy my chicco..
    edited June 2013
    My email is simple... It's ###############.com
    We use Taste of the Wild puppy food... And I have some Taste of the Wild dog food here too... That I bought because I am an idiot and didn't realize the difference..our dogs are still puppies.... I can send that to you and you can slowly start him on that... I know he will love it and then you can buy some yourself.
  • Awesome thank you so much I appreciate it.. I sent you an email.. :)
  • Steve is correct. I'm not a diplomat and never claimed to be one. Not very politically correct either. And I don't mean to be argumentative or to offend anyone. Best case scenario would be to see Chicco cuddled up on your sofa and enjoying the constant love and attention he deserves; not cooped up in some third world sort of pen that does nothing other than drive him to exhibit unwanted behaviors that Steve mentioned above. Perhaps my previous comment was driven by my heart break at 1) seeing his condition prior to the change in diet, 2) that he's in that condition when he should be at his prime, and 3) thinking about our Maya and how we would never subject her to the conditions that Chicco is currently experiencing.

I sincerely hope that you are able to eventually provide for him as he deserves.
    edited June 2013
    So Tosha's gone, and more importantly where and how is Chicco ..???.. We don't know.
    Trust me, I get my knickers in a twist as much as the next Bully lover whenever I witness a poor bully getting anything but the best care. I have a 20mb Internet connection but am hoping to get a "government" sized pipe so that when I hear the various stories on this forum it'll enable me to get my fingers down the connection and wrap them around the neck of those that are oblivious of how to care for our special friends.... BUT, that's what we are here for, to help and advise, as much as we have to grind our teeth while we are doing it.... There's little point in taking our frustration out and criticizing those that at least care enough to log on and ask. If you want to kick some royal arse, ask the local shelter to give you the name and address of those princes that drop bullies off like a sack of sprouting potatoes. Please "lovers" let's not frighten them away again, grit your teeth and open your arms.... At least for Bully's sake.
  • Tis hard!!!!!!!!! But for the bullys sake theirs 2 in michigan now for adoption if you look on petfinder I would take them both but I can't afford the vet care or food and feel this a diservice to them sooooooooo anyone looking they are soooo sweet looking........I just shouldn't look its like a bad disease I have :( 
    Leslie... Can you give me a link to where you saw them... ( I know it's painful to look)
  • What baffles me is that someone would post pics of a dog that is clearly neglected and have no shame in posting it. I would be ashamed to show. I guess it's just ignorance?

Any chance that could be a troll?
  • Well, if Tosha comes back I am going to recommend the same book I always do for training dogs. I have had great success with it. You just have to be consistent. When I had my shepherds I also had a 2 year old and a newborn. The dogs had no training and it showed. I swore when we got Apollo I would do everything I could to train him correctly. At 14 weeks, tomorrow, he can come, sit, down, stay and today we successfully shared many hand shakes. (Granted we still have issues listening when outside and there are many distractions. But that's also a 14 week old puppy) Anything you can think of is in this book. There's a 5 week basic training schedule and everything from good citizenship training to tricks. She gives you schedule sheets and there is also a website for added help. The book is "Training the best dog ever" by Dawn Sylvia-Stasiewicz and Larry Kay.
    At a time where Chicco should be bonding with you and your children he is locked up outside. There are also plenty of helpful ideas on how to get your children involved in training. Even the wee little one! But remember, you must be consistent. I have faith in both of you!
  • Phil, I can't post the link I don't know how :( but if you punch in petfinder.com you can search states by what you put in for instance dog, english bt...... I get emailed when one becomes available. I was a little to quick getting brut because a beautiful brindle named max posted after,,, I was sad for him. ; (   I love my brut man though.......I think......
  • I hope tosha lets us know whats happening with chico .
  • Spuds out every time I'm home which is 24/7 until a new position for me opens. I'm not working and living comfortably for the rest of the year. Having a bully is like having a kid and I want him to enioy things I do to be part of the family. This means if I'm watching a tv show he is. It's crucial to give them human loving and having them become part of your lifestyle.
  • edited June 2013
    I would assume that Phil's comment above was for me. If so, point well taken. However, do not expect me to change how I react to nor how I opine on the issue. I don't do very well in a world of gray areas. I find that world to be mostly populated with hand wringers and procrastinators. Perhaps my chosen career has a lot to do with that. It's an midset that has served me well over the years; both professionally and personally. If someone needs coddling or hand holding then I'm not the one you want to look for....there are plenty of people to do that.

My heart breaks for Chicco....probably more than any of you would imagine. However, I am skeptical of the motives of the original poster.
    The post was for no one in particular and all of us in general.  I hear you on all points above, and agree the original motive seemed somewhat strange, but so little is gained by tongue lashing... although it makes us all feel better because we feel so strongly about our kids...
  • Man this is going to be hard.. took chicco in and he marked 5times in less than 5min lol but we working on it got him a kennal for at night time his lil bed made a cover for it I can wait to show him lol
  • Here's his cute bed with monkeys :D
    20130702_164343.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    20130702_164354.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M