Skip to content

Testing For Canine Ovulation

BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC

Over the last 6 weeks we’ve conducted six separate stud services. Five were for customers and one was done on a female of ours. Lately it seems as though about 70% of the females we have coming here require Artificial Insemination (A.I.). Years ago I didn’t have quite the confidence in the reliability of the results with A.I. in comparison to natural breeding. Today I’m just as confident with it provided it’s conducted on the premises from the male directly to the female without delay.

Often people think the process of breeding via A.I. will result in smaller litter sizes or lessen the chances of pregnancy by a large margin. Due to our results over the years I can honestly say I don’t see the difference. The last two A.I. breedings we conducted ended up with litters of 7 puppies per litter.

The key to successful breeding is proper timing for mating. Introducing the two dogs is an important factor as well. Approximately a week after a female goes into heat will begin testing her daily to see where she is in her ovulation. When she shows signs of entering her beginning stages of ovulation we will introduce the dogs so they can get comfortable around each other. This is done while both dogs are on a leash. The biggest mistake breeders make is prematurely attempting to breed two dogs when the female isn’t ready. As many Bull Terrier breeders already know, a female that doesn’t wish to breed won’t tolerate an eager stud that’s determined to mount her. This could turn into a fight quickly and/or result in causing the female additional stress and fear from the studs unwanted mating. Continued introduction in this manner will result in the female continually defending herself from this male even through her ovulation stage. Additionally, she may carry this fear every time she goes into heat in the future.

The most effective way to introduce two dogs slated for breeding who do not know each other is to do so when the female begins her ovulation and starts flagging. By this time she will be wanting to breed and have a lot more acceptance towards a proven and experienced stud dog that doesn’t wish to waste time playing. Supervision and constant monitoring is a must during breedings and at no time should two bullies who haven’t been raised together be left alone to breed on their own.

Illustrated below is a good example of three different Estrus Test Strips that were used on three females who were in heat.

The first strip shows that the female is just starting to come into ovulation. Chances are she’d be flagging at this point and excepting the stud for mating. The second strip shows no signs of ovulation which means it’s either too early or too late. Attempts for mating wouldn’t be effective. The last test strip indicates a female that is in full ovulation and breeding during this time would be optimal.
Testing females for their ovulation stages using this method if what most Vets call a “Smear” test. The Estrus Strips are cheap to purchase and very easy to use. Hopefully the picture of the tests results provide a good idea why it’s important to test for ovulation. As an example, although all 3 females are in heat with no blood discharge had I introduce female #2 to one of my studs they would most likely attempt to mount her regardless of her ovulation stage. The female, knowing she isn’t ready to breed, would either sit down once he mounts, completely avoid the stud, or go on the defense in an aggressive way. This is what I consider to be an inappropriate introduction for breeding which can cause stress on the female and create fear and anxiety even when she comes into ovulation making her automatically avoid the stud every time she encounters him.
Here’s a photo of a more effective (and expensive) ovulation tester.

One of these will run about $450 but for those breeders like us who that provide stud service often to customer dogs it may prove to be a good investment. Easy to use and provides a lot more data than a test strip. Most Vets wouldn’t have one of these and simply tell you they conduct the “Smear Test.”

One of the greatest benefits of testing for ovulation is the fact that it takes away the guessing games of knowing when it's necessary to breed. More importantly it provides you with knowing when artificial Insemination is required. There's been many times that we've had females come into full ovulation that aren't flagging and don't want the stud anywhere near them. Most of the time it's with females who weren't socialized well with other dogs to begin with and sometimes it's because they are young and have never been bred before. It's without question that a well experienced stud dog can make any female nervous because he knows what's going on and what his job is. With this said, he may not wish to spend too much time courting, sniffing, and playing. Some females will except this dominant breeding behavior others won't. However, in the event the female is ovulating and doesn't wish to cooperate with the chosen stud at least you know that AI is warranted at the time vice convincing yourself it's too early and she'll be more attentive towards breeding in a couple days when you think she'll be in ovulation.

Anyhow, I hope this information proves beneficial for those breeders looking for a little information in regard to the importance of testing for ovulation.  

- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments

• THIS IS AWESOME!!!! Where can I get those test strips? How do you apply them to get the results? Do you swab with a q tip and apply or get fluid from the female with the syringe and drop onto the strips? Your a genius you always have the best do it your self gadgets! Link me please I must get some of these now.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC

Thanks Danielle. I debated whether or not to start posting topics of breeding procedures on the forum because we have so many viewers vice those that wish to actually post. It's one thing to provide some useful tips and another to provide people with step by step instructions on every method and trick I've learned over the years as a breeder especially when it comes to whelping litters. There's so much that goes into both breeding and whelping a litter and one day I just might write a book on it. Until then I'll keep most of my knowledge to myself and try my best to post a few things on this forum from time to time that I think will help others out and get them on the right track for sucessful and safe breeding. You got to admit, you wont see posts like this one on other forums. :-j

The Estrus Strips are easy to buy online and use. The procedure for testing is simply a vaginal wipe or insert. I just stand over the female trapping her with my legs so she doesn't take off on me and hold her tail up with my left hand while inserting the test strip. All you need to do is ensure you have some fluids on the end of the test strip. It only takes a few seconds. Then you just need to wait a few minutes to see what the results are. The test strips illustrated above were pink and will (or should) darken to purple. The newer ones are light green and darken to brown.

A bottle of 10 costs about $20 and a bottle of 50 is about $60. So in truth that bottle of 50 tests costs about the price a vet charges to conduct one smear test. The funny thing is the procedure is easier then opening a can of food and feeding it to your dog.  http://www.wysong.net/products/estrus-strips.php

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Update on the Wysong Estrus Strips:

Over the past year I've had a few other breeders call me and inquire about the accuracy of the Wysong Estrus Strips now that they changed formulas. The old strips (Pink Indicator) are said to be a lot more accurate than the new strips (light green Indicator).

Recently I decided to put the two to a test since I was in the process of monitoring a couple females getting ready to be bred.

Due to having conducted several breeding's over the years and viewing many females during their heat cycle it's fairly easy for me to know when breeding can be conducted. However, pinpointing the optimal time of ovulation is impossible without testing.

Fortunately Craig still had some old style Estrus Strips that I used in my comparison with the new ones. After one week of tests it was absolutely clear that the New Wysong Estrus Tests strips were completely useless. I conducted several tests on a female that was clearly in ovulation. The new strips showed no changes to indicate the female was in ovulation while the old strips showed otherwise. Additionally, the female was flagging the stud for breeding acceptance.

I emailed the Wysong company and provided my evidence that their product was faulty and innacurate. I also provided several photos proving it. Here's the response:

We are sorry to hear of the problems you have had with the Estrus Stripsâ„¢.

Various regulatory and manufacturing requirements required the change in the strip chemistry that has proven to be less reliable. Due to the difficulties you and others have expressed, and the low demand, we no longer offer the product.

Wishing you and yours the best of health,

Jenni

Wysong

Sadly, this product has not been pulled from shelves and is still widely sold online and at many stores. I have no idea why they changed the strip chemistry when they were working just fine. In short, I do not know of any other estrus strip testers that are available. My only advice to those that wish to conduct their own estrus tests would be to invest into the Draminski tester that I have illustrated above.

Illustrated below is a photo of both the new and old Wysong Estrus Strips. They were used at the same time on the same female. The first strip showing a change in the color indicating the female to be in ovulation the second strip with no changes at all indicating the female is not ovulating. Obviously the new strip was completely inaccurate because the female was ovulating.

I thought this information warranted the attention for others to consider in the event they are using these test strips or debating the purchase of some in the future.

Wysong Estrus Strips 01.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 4M
    Wysong Estrus Strips 02.jpg
    465 x 754 - 112K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Sounds like they were saying, " we were just trying to see how long we could sell this crap before someone noticed what rip-off artists we are. Now that you've brought to our attention the fact that we had find someone else to blame, we realize the game is up... Thanks for your money meanwhile"
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    In reality, you're absolutely right. Sadly, they know their product is now useless and instead of refunding those that recently purchased the strips they prefer to say nothing except to those like myself who contacted them. Even more sad is the fact that they didn't recall them and they're still sold all over.
    Just think about how many breeders and even Vets received false information from these test strips. The company should be embarrassed. X(

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I think it warrents a call to the BBB, what a bunch of jerks!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.