Skip to content

Studding out your male.

philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
I am sure every EBT owner would like to see his male have pups and experience the mating ritual. What age would one start trying to find a mate and how to go about finding a suitable female ?... And interested parents obviously.
In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    That subject could go heavily in depth but I'll try my best to provide some of the basics. 8 months of age is the earliest you stud and register him as the sire through AKC. However, most at 8 months of age many male Bull Terriers will be ineffective to properly breed due to their maturity and experience. Artificial Insemination most likely will be required on inexperienced males younger than 14 months of age.

For those interested in studding their male Bull Terrier, these are the questions people will be prone to ask in regard to your stud dog:
    • How many sired litters has he conducted and are they recorded through AKC?
    • What is the average litter sizes he has sired?
    • Has he been AKC DNA'd and do you have the certificate to show?
    • Has your stud been tested for all pertinent genetic disorders associated with the breed and do you have health certificates to show for the testings?
    • Do you test for ovulation and if so what method do you use?
    • When do you initiate the breeding and for how long do you breed?
    • Do you purge your stud on a routine basis to ensure fresh semen will be used so the chances of infection to the female is minimized and the productivity of sperm is maximized?
    • In the event a natural breeding can not be conducted will you be conducting artificial insemination?
    • Do you provide chilled semen shipments out of state for surgical artificial insemination?
    • What is your price for stud service and do you guarantee pregnancy?
    • Can I review your stud service contract?

Obviously before any of these questions are asked thorough research on the studs 4 generation pedigree will be reviewed to ensure the stud comes from reputable bloodlines of merit and the actual stud has the conformation and structure that compliments the breed standards.

Are there those that know nothing about proper breeding and only wish to find a male Bull Terrier to breed with their female Bull Terrier in hopes of simply making some puppies? YES, thus the term "backyard breeders" and where many of the genetic disorders within the breed generate from. However, most of these breeders fizzle out once they find out the difficulties and dedication it takes to breed Bull Terriers. There's a reason why Bull Terriers are a rare breed of canine and most have no idea how much harder they are to breed than other types of dogs. The breeding part takes proper knowledge in itself but in order to whelp a healthy litter of puppies takes ALOT of dedication and commitment. 99% of all Bull Terrier breeders won't even advertise a litter of puppies for sale until they are more than 4 weeks of age because they don't have confidence in themselves as breeders to ensure the safety and welfare of each puppy will survive. For those in doubt try finding a new litter of puppies that has just been born where the breeder is advertising their availability to qualified owners looking to purchase a puppy.

I highly encourage anyone looking into studding and/or breeding to conduct thorough research on the proper practices involved. I will say it is a very exciting and rewarding experience if done correctly and for those that love the breed and can commit to breeding and raising puppies appropriately it's something that's cherished.

For more information on stud service practices you can visit our page: http://bulliesofnc.com/stud-service/stud-service-practices

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com