Skip to content

toilet training

Was wondering how u guys r doing with your toilet training sophie is doing ok nearly 15 weeks I constanly put her out to wee she wont let me know if she wants to go now shes just gone to wee inside the house right next to the back door which is open it amazes me how because she has no problem holding herself from 10 pm to 6am and I have to wake her but in the house she wont even hold if for a hour when shes loose.

Comments

• We did crate training with pee pee pads and have the crate right in front of the door. We were taking her out every hour and right before and after eating. It was hard the first 12 wks, but after that she has not had an accident in her crate. After that she graduated from crate training we allow her to roam free around the house a lot more and she does good for the most part, but the occasional accidents right after drinking the whole bowl of water lol! From what I hear it takes them a yr to fully get it down. We just keep the paper towels, squirt bottle of pine- sol, and swiffer, close by lol!
    What I think is the problem as you say they can hold it from 10pm to 6am, but I think they just forget lol! My 2 yr old (Going to be 3 the 17th of June) does great also and gets lazy or forgets and has her accidents still... I just cant seem to get my daughter to stop pooping beside the toilet instead of inside the toilet lol at least I can say the dog poops outside every time lol!
  • Lmao thanks for your reply yoshirican shes always been in her crate we only had a couple of accidents in when we first got her thats to be expected she can hold it maybe like u said they forget lol but my back door is in my living room maybe she just didnt want to pee outside little moo she does have a couple of accidents a day I cant leave her to roam if im not in the rooms I make her come with me in to which room oim in cause she will poo I side sometimes and then bloody eat it so I don't trust her enough to leave her in another room alone where I go she goes lol if im upstairs then she goes in her crate till I come down even if its for 5 min I also have a 6 yr old so I never leave any dog in the same room with herif im not in it no matter how much I trust my old dog zeus .
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Pee outside, treat and pat, everytime, poop outside, treat and pat and kiss, everytime.... Pee inside, whack on butt, shout NO!, Poop inside or in crate, two whacks on butt and big scream NO!  Works like a charm, the whacks hurt us more than them, but no accidents since since 12 weeks old... (Isabella pees a little from excitement when visitors pat her... but we pee her before anyone arrives, that helps and it's getting less and less).

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I never had any problems after about the first month of them being here of course Cleo has urinary incontinence so I installed a doggie dog cause I was sick of getting up twice a night ( for a whole year and a half) but that was installed well after they were house broke. Brutus used to like to hide and go shat my sons carpet in his room so I just gated it off so he started going outside. Neither liked the rolled newspaper swat worked for them. They are a year apart and I didn't get Brutus till about a year after Cleo.
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • Thank u for your comments I will take note ive just throught of something she never walks into the garden herself I either have to pick her up or drag her to the garden because she always come out of her crate and runs the oppersite way and she pees so quick thats why I grab her otherwise she would never get out there quick enough I think it because she never takes her self out there whatdo u think .
  • I was always told when they pee just ignore it and clear it up I can see your point a will give it ago but shes already having the odd wack on the arse when shes getting zeus doing better not guite there yet but we will I dont want her to ve scared of me because I giving her a smack today she had hold of him and I went over to her she looked stopped what she was doing and scarpered .
  • I would start their making her comfortable out their if you use a newspaper it won't be your hand and she'll be scared of that instead of your hand let me know how you're doing
  • Im using a bit of bamboo stick because its long enough to get her when she biting zeus and I can catch her in the act . Will do leslie .
  • Try getting a small "Christmas" bell and hang it on your door knob for about a week. This is the door she will use every time to go out. She will remember the ringing of that bell means outside, outside means potty. After a week hang the bell lower, to her level, so she can nose it or swat it when she has to go out. Be careful because she is still a puppy and will probably try and play with it or even try and eat it. As Phil stated praise and treat every time she goes potty. Praise first, like you just won the lottery. If dogs are going potty in the crates than its too big for them. What size crate do you have?
  • No sweetie shes not going in her crate she can hold herself for 8 hours shescreally good in her crate she will pee by back door even if its open but good diea with the bell will have to get one I think .today ive when she comes out of her crate I put a few treats on the flow towards the back door and in the garden so shes folliwing them and taking herself to the garden instead of me pucking her up and putting herself out there.
  • @ Bigbear

From past experience of living in an apartment carrying the pup outside is where you go wrong. We couldn't get out terrier potty trained until we moved into our home and allowed her to walk to the door. If she is running the other way just guide her in the right direction
  • Thank u blackr6 I fill this is where I have gone wrong myself because she not taking herslf but now I show her a treat when she comes out her cage and I put it on the patio and I tell her outside abd she runs out there we r making process yay and rewarding her with treats and praise when she does a wee or poo .
  • Progress sophie taking herself into the garden for her pees \:D/
    edited June 2013
    Great. Amazing how quickly they learn with treats! Proves they are nearly as stupid as humans!... No, they're much smarter than us.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Lol I know she does everything when it comes to food if I go out with her and forget her treats she looks at me if I ask her to sit at roads and has a face saying mmmmmmm I dont think so no treat no listen mummy lol .
    With that fabulous face you know she's reading your mind too! Where about in England are you?
  • Im from south london but now live at the coast in eastbourne .lovely place when its nice weather horrible when it s bad weather lol.i bet its lovely where u live .
  • Great news.  Treats work wonders with training.
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • Good girl sophie!!!!!
    edited June 2013
    I've never been to Eastbourne, closest I got was when we used to go to Brighton on our hols when I was a kid. We lived in Beaconsfield, BUCKS, near Slough, near Windsor Castle, I was born in Southend-on-sea (a long time ago)... EVERYWHERE in England is horrid when the weather's bad... which, by my recall is 80% of the time... that's why I live in Sunny Florida!
    image.gif
    142 x 129 - 8K
  • Lol im very jealous phil I love the sunshine just a shame we dont see very much of it and living by the coast makes it even worse when its bad .
  • Brighton isnt far from here . How long have u been there .
    edited June 2013
    I think the last time I was in Brighton was in about 1996.... then before that around 1955.... I was in BUCKS from 1995 to 1997 after I came back from Africa.... couldn't stand the weather driven lifestyle so we came to Florida... where all olé farts go.

• Lol they call Eastbourne town of the dead lol say its full of old one but its not that bad quite life is what I love lived in london surrey before I moved here .id love to move right away and start a new life lol dont start me off it will be a long night lol .
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Oh, I feel young when Phil talks about the 50's. :))

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    edited June 2013
    And what, exactly, was wrong with these?.......imageimage
    image.jpg
    225 x 225 - 14K
    image.jpg
    253 x 199 - 20K
    image.jpg
    275 x 183 - 24K
    image.jpg
    275 x 183 - 28K
    image.jpg
    227 x 222 - 12K
    image.jpg
    204 x 247 - 21K
    image.jpg
    197 x 255 - 17K
    image.jpg
    225 x 225 - 19K
    image.jpg
    203 x 249 - 16K
    image.jpg
    247 x 204 - 23K
    image.jpg
    259 x 194 - 23K
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Nothing at all.
    :-bd
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com