Skip to content

How much is too much......

when it comes to eating Foreign Object Debris? Apollo is going on 12 weeks now and is of course the curious little puppy. When he's outside he tries to eat everything. Sticks/ twigs, bugs, grass and so on. I don't mind the grass but the sticks do bother me. I'm worried he'll have splinters come out of his little bum. Is this an over reaction? Just curious on how far you guys let your bullies go when chewing things like this.  

Comments

• Sophie likes to eat mud ive now found out that comtaminated soil gives them worms I wormed her two weeks ago and shes pasted a couple of long ones yuk yuk yuk makes me fill ill she eats anything and everything im dont let her eat sticks because my fears r the same as u .
  • It was 3 days ago she pasted them so I know it what shes picked up after being wormed I wish they made a wormer that covered them for 3 months and protect them from getting them all they do is get rid of what they have so if your dog goes out a week later eats something with worms bang they have them again bloody rubbish ive had to get a seperate wormer to make sure they gone when she allready had the lung worm one .
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I guess over the years of seeing them eat and poop out the oddest things my worries have decreased. I'll never forget seeing Zack's missing crayons appear in the front yard after one of the dogs decided to resurface them.

Many dogs are known for eating sticks. They will carry them around for a while and then chomp them down leaving pieces of debris everywhere. I have yet to have any dog get any form of ill effect from it that required a Vet visit. It's the inside house objects that worry me the most. Phone carriers, extension cords, plastic toys, etc. All the things a young BT enjoys destroying and partially eating.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • My male shepherd used to eat crayons like it was going out of style. Made for entertaining poop pick up. For the most part Apollo really only goes after our shoes inside. As long as nothing outside will cause ill effects. I trust your feedback and appreciate it. Today I caught him trying to eat a rock. Clamped down on my thumb when I tried to get it out. I wasn't a happy camper. [-X
  • Crayons might be the only thing I haven't found!!!! Colorful!!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    I think the scariest thing that our boy chomped on was while under my wife's desk he chewed into the computer power cable in about 2 seconds, and let out a loud yelp as the GFI clicked out... scared me shyteless... he could have got a bad mouth burn, or even worse.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Mine chewed a vaccum cleaner cord plugged in... no yelp but she doesn't like vaccumes anymore; ( more power was going to that computer for sure, thank God for the GFI!!!!!! Eeeeee
  • I have to agree with Steve.  I have seen them chew on all kinds of things.  Organic items like sticks have never been a problem.  I am more worried about a tennis ball etc that is not made to bio degrade.  All the puppies toys in the world will not stop them from finding something new to chew.  A child that gets a new toy on a big box will ooh and ah over the toy for 10 minutes and play with the box for 2 weeks.  A bullie pup is the same.
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • After all your input, I stopped and took a look around my first floor. I thankfully have no cords for him to chew. He has tried to chew the coffee table leg and kitchen chair leg but we caught him and he hasn't gone back. As bad as those bully sticks smell, they sure are a furniture saver! Last night he caught a moth mid flight for a little late night snack. We were both cracking up, but holy smokes was it gross!! I think my only concern was the sticks. He goes after them like crazy. My shepherd's never ate anything outside. It was the stuff in the house they loved. My male once ate the cord to my plugged in sewing machine........blew the circuits through half the the house. He was ok though. He made Marley look like an angel!!!!!
  • Dozer used to be obsessed with fallen leaves, slurped them up like potato chip and then would vomit piles of them a couple days later....He also liked chewing on any type of hard plastic/rubber, especially if it wasn't a dog toy! He also ate a couple hair ties that he found tasty and some sticks and random plants. I was terrified he would get a blockage the way he hoover vacuumed the ground when he was little. He's about a year and a 1/2 now and for the most part doesn't bother much anymore. I still don't trust him out unsupervised, but with us and in our dog proofed yard he doesn't seem to have any problems eating random things like he used to thankfully.
  • When worrying about them eating sticks and wood, remember that Cellouse is wood, and it is found in alot of human and pet foods, hot pockets, pizza rolls, canned cat and dog foods, cakes, bread, chicken nuggets ect.

I also donot worry as much about things, i dont even worry when my dogs swollow whole deer ribs or spines chunks.  heck i dodged a bullet when Chimera was a puppy and got hold of some wire metal screening i was working with and ate huge globs of it. i gave her a large dose of coconut oil (about half a cup) along with some beef fat and she was perfectly fine.

if its small enough to pass, but somewhat sharp, give them coconut oil and/or some beef fat to help coat the tummy and bowel to help prevent any preforations.

if its somthing they cannot possible pass, like a rock or, in Chimeras case once-a peach pit, use the peroxide method and give them 3 tablespoons of peroxide and some water ( i have found encouraging them to drink lots of water right after the peroxideh elps them vomit quicker)

after giving water and peroxide, kind of try to get it to mix up in there tummys, i do this by getting them to run around, hop around, or maybe lie them on there backs and rol em around LOL.

if they dont puke in about 15 minutes-try giving another dose with some more water.

when they finally do vomit make sure you take it all away from them-my dogs will eat it all back up if im not right there to stop them.

• My bullie boy brock ate everything you could possibly eat,the plug off the tv and washing machine,pvc plumbing pipes off the walls literally everything he could get hold of. by far the funniest thing was my sons socks.He used to walk after my son who was crawling at the time manage to pull the socks off his feet gently and swallow them.When i used to pick up the poop i often found small socks perfectly in tact.
  • Our pup Stoeger loves to get a hold of toothpicks, I think we've been lucky and snagged most away from him before he was able to swallow. Even if he did swallow one, he chews it up pretty good, ha!

Also bugs are a favorite delicacy for Stoge, moths, beetles, if it's got six legs, it's a snack.
  • Stoeger, bugs here too!!! It's like a treasure hunt at night when the froggies come out! ;)
    Warren, I can't even imagine socks!!!! Everything we give him gets shredded!!!! Ropes, pillows etc. Yesterday he ate my quilt! I was so ticked! It was the first one I made! The only good thing was it was falling apart anyway. There I was doing the dishes and I hear RRRRRIIIIIIIIP! Had it behind the couch, all 4 paws down pulling at the fabric. Now it's got A 12 inch Apollo signature! ;)
  • Doh! Sorry about the quilt...

When Stoeger is hunting bugs he directs his ears to the ground like he's using sonar to pick up the little buggers, haha!!
  • @warren that's is the funniest thing!
    Beau ate my kids tiny Lego!! That came out oh bed stuffing and sequins she ate off my daughters boot!!
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    edited November 2013
    If you're ever interested in creating some custom art work on your lawn have your kid leave a box of crayons laying on the floor of their room! #-o

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yup its very pretty:)
  • Our Bullies are like 4 legged garbage disposals.
    "Blitzkrieg Bullies" - Alexander, AR
  • I like to label mine as roombas!