Skip to content

Raw is Hellish Expensive

philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
Has anyone any better, safe, idea on how to get raw, cheaper... Damn stuff is costing me about $120 per month (for 2 insatiable pups) ... They only get about 25% raw.... And the idea was to increase it to about 33.3%.... But at $7.50 /lb. I don't know... The rest of their mix is TOTW at $1.50/lb., baked or boiled chicken breast $2.00/lb. ( not bad considering TOTW cost).... And Merrick canned puppy food at $3.80/lb. We are getting the Instincts brand frozen raw.... Need something easy to prepare... Dang bullies are already taking 50 % of my waking life $-)
In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.

Comments

• Do you have any slaughter houses near you to by in bulk? It might be expensive at first but when you break it down and bypass that supermarket price add on, you might find you'll save a little money. Even talk to your local butcher. See what cuts he'll discount if you by in bulk and slice it yourself.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Yeah, but how safe is it to eat regular meat raw....?? My wife had a "medium" cooked steak at Longhorn Steakhouse a few years ago and got salmonella poisoning and had to have "inpatient" IV for over a week... Nearly died! .... I don't think the raw meat sold professionally is regular grade...you have to cook regular grade.... It's more like "sushi" grade meat.... Am I wrong?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    You can often find the grocery stores selling reduced priced meats because they didn't sell by the "sell date." This is when I take advantage of the savings and provide some perfectly good meats to my dogs. Winter months we have plentiful of venison to go around which lasts a long time.

A dogs digestive system can't be compared to that of a humans. Read up on the benefits with raw meats compared to cooked meats. BARF has some good literature on that subject. Here's a statement coming from their website:

Living Enzymes are proteins found in raw foods which help the body function. Enzymes are only beneficial to the body if they are living. Once food is cooked or processed, it no longer contains living enzymes. Foods without living enzymes put stress on the pancreas to produce the necessary proteins to function. Living Enzymes in a raw diet restore, repair, and maintain health. Animals replenish their enzymes systems by eating raw unprocessed foods. Our convenient patties retain their living enzymes along with phyto-chemicals, antioxidants, and unprocessed amino acids. Your pet’s long term health depends upon these factors, to ensure a long and healthy lifespan.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • i feed my two dogs and now my 3 cats a prey model raw diet for about 10-20$ per month.

if you want to feed raw cheaply-you have to put  some work into it, but its worth it.

most of my meat comes from our small locally owned grocery store. every morning around 5-6 am they cut meat for the day, whatever doesnt sell by leaving time, they simply junk along with the meat scraps (tendons,bones,fat ect) i will call at 6am and ask them to hold the meat scraps for me and pick them up at closing time (the meat department closing time-not grocery store closing time)

they give me a big trash bag of meat that they were going to throw away-its all good meat, just they are not allowed to sell it because its been out all day in the cooler.

dont expect to get things like this from chain stores-its illegal, but i know alot of people who like me go to the locally owned places and get it under the table for free so to speak.

also, invest in a chest freezer so you can stock up and dont have to turn down bulk.

try to find meat processors during hunting season and ask what they do with all the scrap, sometimes you can even ask to pay for der that some hunters take in for processing and leave behind.

know of any local farms? you can ask them to contact you when they have calves die or are still born.

know anyone who hunts or fishes? ask them to give you anthing they are going to be throwing away anyways hearts, livers, kidneys, spleens, genitals, heads, ect.

ask freinds and family to give you old freezer-burne meats, freezer burnt meat is still very nutritious, freezer burning only changes flavor-not nutrition.

if your like me who isnt afraid of getting  "dirty" watch craigslist for free roosters, chickens, rabbits, goats, ect and get them and butcher them yourself (so long as you let hte person know what itll be going for-some rabbits people  love as family and are looking for a pet home only, so just be honest with them and dont get offended if they say no)

post ads on craigslist looking for chicken farmers, rabbit farmers ect and ask about making a deal with them for the meat scraps they throw out, same with pig,cow,sheep,llhama,goat, farmers.

in the winter time-ill pick up fresh road kill (only in the winter though)

i am also a pet rat breeder, any of my litter culls or adult culls get frozen and fed to the dogs (i cull by either quickly dislocating the spine-or useing a homemade gas chamber of vinnigar/baking soda)

alot of raw feeders i know start out thinking of just "meat" as in grocery store, pre cut and cleaned ect, because thats how most eat meat- but if you can think of it  as "animal" instead of "steak" youll start finding a heck of alot of sorces of meat!

i also know some people who wouldn ever dream of feeding a dog a cow penis-but its only humans who have the 'EWW" factor, dogs love them, and they are actually very nutritious! as is eyes, feet, spleen, and stomachs.

good luck and happy hunting!

• just read your last comment philsergeant.

The way a human (or animal) gets e-colli or salmonella is due to irritation of the bowels-if your bowels are not irritated, then your chances of getting sick from eating bad food diminishes to about less then 1%

the reason being is-your stomach was designed to ingest germs and bacteria-nasty bactiera, so it protects itself with a barrier, when you eat somthing that causes irritation, your leaving yourself open to allowing some nasty bactieria to enter your blod stream and be absorbed, the more irritate your bowel, the mroe likly somthing will be absorbed.

so, for a human,we dont have veyr strong stomach acid to help eat away those bacteria, so we leave ourselves even MORE prone to E-colli and salmonella. now how does ones bowels become irritated?

sugars are a HUGE contributor,as well as grains, food dyes, preservatives and processe foods in general,humans who eat commercially prepared foods, bodies are in a constant state of irritation-eat one bad-ass bactiera and your pretty much guarnteed to get sick.

hence the reason kibble fed dogs are actually MORE prone to getting sick-there bowels are in a constant state of irritation. also straining the immune system, because all those normally un-harmfaul bacteria we ingest all the time (ever wonder what kind of germs live under your finger nails? ever handle money before eating? ever lick food off your fingers?) are getting thru the bowels/stomach barrier, and while not deadly-the immune system is working over-time trying to keep it that way, fighting it off.

SO, that is how your intestinal tract works, along with your dogs, except with dogs-they do have much strong stomach acids then humans (probably since humans have been cooking our meat for thousands of years)

i have fed my dogs bad spoilt rotten meat without problems-however, i suggest NOT feeding spoilt meat to begining with.

i have fed chicken so rotten it was green/black liquid, they had rancid breathe but didnt even get diareha or gas.

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Kim, that was Very detailed and informative. Thanks for sharing!

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Philsergeant, that's awful about your wife. Must be something about Longhorn as my friends whole family got got sick after eating once. I found this post very interesting and will look to it for future reference. I stalk the freezer section at the commissary while I'm there so snatch up some of that discount meat. I can usually find a small package of stew meat for $1.50 or so. Flank steaks run about the same.
  • Thanks but no thanks. We get 20 lbs of quality raw diet for $105 so we'll stick to Darwin's Pet Products. We paid over 2 grand for Maya. It's kind of like getting a Lamborghini. If you can afford the car you can afford the gas to drive it. And there is NO WAY I'm feeding our dog green, black rotten chicken.

Bad deal about your wife. We eat at Longhorn regularly and have never had any issues. In fact we ate there the night before I flew back down here to Rio.
  • Omg 2 grand thats alot of moneyi never knew they could be that expensive the dearest ive seen them in the uk is around 900 pounds .
  • Well, that includes the flight for her to join our family.
  • I don't know where you are located but I have another suggestion. There are groups of people who go in together to buy bulk amounts of raw and split it amongst each other. I think there are a couple sites if I remember correctly. One was just actually a yahoo group, I didn't know people still used those.

If you can't find them I'll check when I get home later. If there's anything local to you that would definely drive cost down.
    @bigbear... $2000 is about 900 UK Pounds.

• I don't think anyone would feed their dog rotten meat. The discounted meats at the grocery stores are a day or two away from the sell by date. They freeze it and discount it to make space for the new fresher meats. It's good for up to 6 months in the freezer.
  • I see well im took sophie to be weight today and shes not put on any weight in 8 days she has had a bad tumny for a few days so im going to order totw right now the food she on is meant to be good james well beloved but im not seeing a good weight gain and she needs it lol my little sophie .
    Don't worry too much... if they have a bad tummy they can not gain anything for a week... but be sure the bad tummy doesn't last more than a few days.... If you change food do it progressively... try get her on some boiled chicken breast too (slowly)...
  • Yes apollo its a pinch collar I also have to start work on recall I let sophie of the lead she was really good on coming back but something spooked her and she ran and would not stop I was chasung and chasing in the end Icould nit catch her so I had to dive on the floor iin front of her like a bloody goal keeper not a pretty site and god it hurt but I caught her thank god so now no off the lead untill shes trained .
  • Thanks bigbear. I don't want to get too far off topic in this post, so I'll keep it short. We had a partly successful leash session about an hour ago. I do see him making progress everyday. He is only 11 weeks and I think it's just me who is so ready to take him for a walk. A real walk. I know how you feel about taking off. A number of things could have happened had you not caught her. There should be a "come to me, I'll save you" command.
  • I know I nearly died with fear if I never caught her .
    I'd like to thank Xtracho for the recommendation to Darwin Raw. I'd heard of it before but it's always nice to have opinion from someone who's feeding it to a Bullie, not just to a dog. It's great. Got our first shipment this week. Looks like real meat for a change. We've been using Nature Variety Instincts ( @ $7.50 / lb!) and sometimes I'm not sure they did much more than walk a cow passed the plant... Darwin's is REAL meat and half the cost.
    Reckon I'm gonna save about $100 a month and get better quality.
  • Good deal Phil... they are good people to deal with also.  :-bd
    They love it... They were a little slow on the Duck... But the beef and the chicken... Woof woof! Especially the beef with a raw egg!
  • Maya is a little picky on the duck as well. I just add some kibble, chicken livers/gizzards, ground beef, and chicken broth. That takes care of that. She loves the beef the best.
  • @xtracho I would like to see how her bowl looks once you put all thoses things in
    @Atiba... Still 30% TOTW... 30% raw... hopefully moving to 50% with Darwins.