Skip to content

Help Me Help Baxter!

This is Baxter, a 9 month old I adopted from the SPCA on Friday.  He is certainly going to be a challenge - I'm afraid his previous family did little to curb negative behaviors and I suspect Baxter was the alpha in that group.  Any ideas on where to start?  Thanks in advance.
Perfect Baxter.JPG
2048 x 1536 - 844K

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I commend you for adopting a Bull Terrier. What kind of negative behavior is he displaying? A dog can be alpha and not aggressive. He is still very young and very much still a puppy. Please elaborate on the negative behaviors so we can assist in specific mediation. Do you have any historical information about him? How old he was when we was taken from the litter? Parents? Breeder?

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Ditto... Good job on adoption, he looks great... Many from rescue don't. Take a deep breath and know you'll have a lot of work the next six months.... Let it out slowly and know that he'll steal your heart and give you much joy ( thereafter)... Please provide details.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Good on ya for adopting that good looking guy. I'm pretty much a neophyte to the breed. But there are some real experts on this board. For me....time spent is the most important facet during the puppy stage.
  • edited May 2013

Displayed negative behaviors:  Nipping at faces, ears and feet, Jumping Up, Repeatedly on furniture.

Displayed positive behaviors:  Crate trained, Sits, Shakes and lays down on command, and for the most part does well on a leash.

The SPCA only had info on his age and reported info from the family who gave him up:  9 months, non-aggressive but too rough even for the adults in their family.

I am more than willing to put in the work to help this awesome guy become the great dog I know is in him and all EBT's.  I have spent 6 hours a day hanging out with him and playing and I am about to have 10 weeks of 24/7 time I am going to devote to him.

Sorry for the limited info but this is all I got from the SPCA.  We are off for a wellness exam at the vet this afternoon.

• I used an air horn on mine for the over excited kissing and play nipping with a firm No!! Sounds as though he just needs some manners at times of excitement. I let mine on the furniture but when I want them off I give them the command and often had to make them listen. So repeat untill your blue with many deep breaths cause he will more than likely test your last nerve!! Consistent training is a must and you should see improvment. If they want something bad enough and the punishment doesn't outweigh the reward " couch jumping " he will continue. Be stern you are his master he is not yours!!! " well untill he learns to behave :)" he has a good foundation with the training!! He is handsome congrats!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • With the jumping I simply step into them as they are about to jump and tell them Off!! With company I leash them and snap the lead with the off comand.
  • Thanks for the replies - he is generally a very good boy, just has periods of almost manic like energy.  My family and I are looking forward to a long and happy life with Baxter, and want to support his development in the most positive ways.
    Very important to let him have a SERIOUS workout, preferably in the morning...  a good run (next to your bike if you are in a safe area and can control him), at least an hour.  And a shorter one in the evening... drain the energy that way and VERY stern NO's. Often. If he is out of control pin him to the floor by his neck and shout NO right in his face, until he calms.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Run his energy out with a flirt stick, treadmill whatever you got that burns his high energy. He should calm down a bit as he gets older but for now you got some work to be done.....
  • It sounds like the jumping could be for attention and the nipping for dominance . I have this great training book I have been using and it seems to be successful. "Training the best dog ever" by Dawn Sylvia-Stasiewicz. ($15 at B&N, but check Amazon first) It is for puppies as well as adult dogs. When our Apollo jumps and nips I simply remove him from my lap, hop on the couch and ignore him. It seriously hurts his feelings. After about 30-45 seconds I get back on the floor, pet him, talk softly and he completely calms down. He's happy to have me back again. I picked him up one day because he was chewing on a root out back. When I picked him up he bit my nose so hard he drew blood. I believe this was his way of trying to be the alpha. He was going to eat that root and put me in my place for taking him from it.  I yelped a quick sharp NO, brought him in and ignored him for about 10 minutes. He was beyond happy when we got to play again. As for being on the couch, it is a privilege in our house. He is not allowed on there alone. He knows when I pull the orange blanket out he can sit in my lap. The air horn is a great idea and you can also try a spray bottle.

He's a handsome boy and he is so lucky you adopted him!! :)

• edited May 2013

Thanks for all the replies.  We just got back from the clinic where he had his first wellness exam and the vet says all is good - "a remarkable physical specimen , you got him at the SPCA?"  Makes me proud LOL, even though he's only been with us since Friday. :)

edited May 2013
    I know, from much experience, that's it's a pain-in-the-nose to get your nose cut.... The first reaction is to get a little mad....  but it's nothing more than BT energy and enthusiasm... there's nothing intentional or malicious in there... it just happens because they are boisterous.... I've had and you'll get plenty of swollen lips from the strong head flips...You still need to reprimand the action, but understand it's mostly love.... (Didn't I tell you earlier that dogs like that are not got at the SPCA.... don't worry, you'll spend the $2000 you would have spent at a quality breeder on him in good time )
    B-)
    Even when you have him under control, please send pics and stories as he develops and steals your heart.
  • LOL Phil, Rocky has given me 3 fat lips. The only thing he did was turn his head. I set myself up though. I see Rocky and all I want to do is wrap my arms around that thick neck and hug hug hug!!!!!