Skip to content

Bully Time

philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
I'd like to poll all that are willing and to get an opinion as to what amount of time everyone spends with their Bully. Unless you won the lottery recently I think most of us have to work, and Bullies, especially young ones, take up just about all of the rest. So, with a big distinction between puppy ( up to one year), and dogs, how much time do you spend with your bully every day? Not just on weekends, so take the weekdays into the average.... "Spending time with" means, out or at home, not caged (or otherwise set apart), not sleep time... Ie. active time they are free to enjoy your company or that of other furry or boring family members. So two numbers, puppies and dogs.....hours per day. I think we'll all find the range interesting.

P.S. I believe only honesty will help us all.
In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.

Comments

• My 2 truly are my companions. I pretty much make my own hours, i work 8 seperate jobs  house keeping for several people, babysitting for several people, then i work temp as a waitress.

doing housekeeping, my two are allowed to come with more foten then not, as quite a few pepople enjoy having them their with me.

Same for when i babysit-but alot of times i work early hours, and somtimes the dogs are still sleeping-so i will let them sleep.

But, the time i get  AWAY from them is more easily measured-about 4-6 hours a day is AWAY from them, the rest of the day is them with me. and since the weather is warming up for us, im able to keep them busy outside doing activities.

Thursday we spent the entire day fishing, from 11am till 11PM we were on the go.

Friday we were out walking for 5 hours then went fishing

Saturday we went for a 6 hour walk  then did some fishing

and today we are taking a bit of a break, but tomorrow we will be going walking again about 5+ hours.

So, im VERY lucky to be able to do what i do, and im not at all lking forward to getting a "real" job

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    As most of you already know I'm retired from the Marine Corps after 21 years and enjoying life at home. Tinkering with cars, hunting, fishing, and enjoying life. I dedicate at least 5 hours a day to my Bullies. They are around me all day long but that doesn't really count in regard to training and doing anything productive with them. I am fortunate to have 8 acres of property along with another 35 acres behind us that we maintain and have access to. There are 2 ponds on the property behind us both that are about 2 acres in size. I take my bullies out to the pond often so they can chase ducks, swim, and blow off steam. They can run for broke on our own property chasing balls and doing their best to chase every squirrel up a tree that happens to come in view. My wife spends a lot of time outside throughout the day as well and when she's out there she's usually got 3 bullies by her side. Outside our kennels, we have a very large run with a customized teetherball set, tires, and rope swing. There's a lot for Bullies to do over here and I'm lucky enough to enjoy the entire day with them. Luckily I can still break away from time to time on vacation with the family and rely on Craig and Terri (Bullies of NC Jacksonville) to look after our dogs while we're gone. We do the same for their Bullies when they're away from home. The Bullies of NC team is tight like that. :P

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I spend probably 4 to 5 hours a day with my Bullies and they run like crazy, playing and chasing each other. I let them swim and dig on my land. By the end of the day there pooped.
    "Blitzkrieg Bullies" - Alexander, AR
  • My dogs don't spend much time in their crates, besides bed time. During the day I'm at work for 8 hours and my boyfriend keeps them entertained. When I get home I am the main person and it's dinner time and I spend some time with them and work on some basic show training and stuff. Claxxton and the puppy play all day long and when they get wild they go outside, I fill the kiddy pool for them and they love it. On my days off I make it a point to take them out to a friends house for social skills or a lake or park to play. Since it's so hot here it will get even harder to find ways to take them out without the heat being too much, Tuesday we are going to my sisters house so Gus can learn to swim a bit and play with my sisters dogs (formally my dogs) and meet some new people and kids, good socialization for the baby. So I would say their lives aren't too exciting, but just right.
  • Im a lucky to work from home so I am with them all day she goes in of a night and for about half an hour after ecery meal I walk sophie twice a day once with zeus and the other to work with her she is turning into a fanatic dog I love her so much I cant explain ive had dogs all my life and have loved them all but there is something about this breed that has stole my heart shes like my best friend lol sad I know but its true I know now that this isvthe breed for me x
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited May 2013
    Well it seems from this sampling that many of our forum members are not just blessed with BTs but with a more than a fair share of leisure time to spend with them. What about BT owners that work a 9-5 and have limited daylight hours to get a good amount of exercise hours in? We have puppies so therefore uncrated time has to be fully supervised. We don't have a fenced in yard and cant leave them tethered outside with the heat. We spend from 6 to 8:30 every morning with their main exercise etc. Then they are crated until about 12. They get an hour out and then back until 5. They spend most of the evening out around the house/ pool except for an hour when we eat. On the weekend they get outings. But that means they are only 5.5 to 6 hours out of their crates. We hope to increase this to about 8 even 9 once they behave well enough out of sight but still around us.... They told us they don't think it's enough, we hope it is because not much else gets done around here besides THEM! :O)
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Maya has someone with her most all of the time. With the grand baby in the house there is at least one of us here all the time. We do not crate her at all. She has free run of the house at all times. But when she wants a nap she goes to the crate and sleeps in there. She gets a 30-45 minute walk 3-4 times a day. I don't think I can put an exact hourly figure on how much contact time she has because it is virtually non stop. Fortunately, when I'm home from Rio de Janeiro my time is pretty much my time so she gets a lot of my attention. I'm up with her around 5:30 am each morning. When we do go out as a family she is alone for no more than 3-4 hours max.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Maya! I think I can safely say " YOU'RE SPOILT"... And well loved.... ( and well behaved by the sounds of it) .. Good job!
  • I am a stay home mom and work for the county as a rescue employee so I have a pager in my home and run on the weekends and at night till my husband goes to work in the am. My dogs are never crated and never alone, they have even taken calls with me and go to the store with US and such. When my pager goes of Brutus gets really excited as if to say " hey mom ya got a call!!!!! Let's go!!!" My female is a true couch potato and doesn't need much but a run on the treadmill once a day and a little ball here and their. The male is my pain but I entertain as needed throughout the the day with flirt sticks balls ropes ect. Its a free for all everyday all day. :)
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • SPOILT...yeah....Well Behaved? Still up for debate. She has two gears....full speed and all stop. And she pretty much divides her time equally between the two. She's learning not to jump on the grand baby and doing very well at that so far. Took her to the beach Saturday for the first time. Nightmare on Beach Street is an understatement. It was a "dog beach" and she was nutso the entire time. I hope that will change as she gets used to it. We did find out that she could swim....and very well. She loves to play with me and her pull rope. And she really loves her squeaky ice cream cone. I'm waiting for the day when I can cut her loose at the beach...supervised of course....and really watch her have a good time.