Skip to content

Chewing...how much is too much? Or is it?

edited May 2013 in General
Bought Maya some flavored rawhide chew bones. Made sure they didn't contain a bunch of crap. Just rawhide and flavor pretty much. Got them yesterday and she's already chewed through 2 and working on her third as I write this. Is there a point where her chewing on these rawhide chews gets to be too much or should I just let her chew away? She can go through one of these things in a couple hours. And once she gets started she pretty much doesn't stop.

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    My own experience is that too much makes them sick. They love them, that's why they sell them to be demolished... Money, money, money. But I found that if you get the really hard plastic ones they get to swallow nothing and also get bored... ( great for the back teeth)... What worked best for us are the hard leather ones that they chew and chew and chew, they soften to like chamois and then they eat them... Takes about a week and if you can catch and cut off the soft bits before they swallow, even better.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    Also, those deer antlers .. If you can find the right size and shape, are great.... Too smooth and straight hey can't grip... But the angled ones without too many sharp edges are perfect.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks Phil...I was beginning to worry about the hit to the budget with the rawhide. And I almost picked up the deer antlers too. Nyla-Bone too maybe?
    Nyla-bone! That's the name of those plastic ones, I was trying to remember... The hard ones bore them, the soft ones disappear as fast as the rawhide.... Talk about budget busters!
  • Rawhide can cause lots and lots of problems. I have always told people, and follow this myself, that, you can give rawhide but in serious moderation. Too much rawhide can cause constipation and even a blockage. I don't give it, just to be safe. I give Nylabones, the solid white ones for 'powerful chewers' and I give deer or elk antlers. They love em, and they are super strong.

A good friends of mine's aunt had a bull terrier that while pregnant, was eating a rawhide. The rawhide got wedged in the dogs throat and it started choking. She tried several times to pull it out but each time the dog bit down on her hand hard. It was a very sad thing to happen, and the dog choked to death.
  • If I were to give rawhide I give them one large piece and allow them to consume 25% at a time. I wait another week before giving more. Haven't given rawhide in a long long time, but when I did, that's how I did it.
  • I just discovered nylabone myself, my dogs like em but no match for a raw hide... I have seen those antlers haven't tried em yet though. Cleo chocked when she was younger on a bone luckily I was able to give her air as I worked it out by putting pressure on her throat as I pushed it back up and could visibly see it so I could grab ahold of it. I don't give pieces or rawhides of any bone shape or size without being right their.. that said when they get small enough I throw them away. My dogs love pig ears and those are cheap and get nasty and slimey but mushy. They still try to swallow them hole:( I like the kongs with peanut butter much safer:)
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • No more rawhide then. Nyla-Bone and deer antlers it is. She also has a tug rope that we play with. Thought about squirting some Grizzly Oil on it and let her chew on that.
  • Bully sticks work real good for our Bullies.
    "Blitzkrieg Bullies" - Alexander, AR
  • If you put grizzly oil on the rope it will entice her to eat and consume the rope. Rope will also cause a blockage and surgery will be needed to take it out. The last thing you want is a bunch of string in her belly.
  • The best bones I think for when they r bigger or full size is the galileo bone they r indestructable there brilliant mt staff alway has one .
  • Its the strongest nyla bone there is for dogs .
  • Yes antlers are the way to go! It takes forever for them to go thru it, if you are lucky and live in the country you can find some shed ones and clean them and give it to them. We hunt deer, so we have plenty of antlers for her pleasure!
    Hunting deer and owning a (very pretty) BT... how much better can life get?

• Yeah seriously, @Philsergeant you read my mind! LOL! Its kinda odd I guess a Hunting Puerto Rican from Miami loving the slow and glorious life in South Carolina with the best pal ever, a BT! 
    Yours sounds like a great journey with a fabulous destination!...... from a Englishman who lived most of his life in Africa where I had EBT's but hunted only with a camera, to living in Florida, with EBT's, (whatelse?), and a closet full of hunting guns!

• LOL! Sounds good to me! Africa? Wow, bet you have some interesting pics! Well I now know life without a BT is not much of a life at all ;) and you my friend are living a good one!