Skip to content

For first time bully owners

edited May 2013 in General
How does your new puppy react to there new home after leaving bulliesofnc or any other kennel ? Are they really timid the first day or do they adjust well after sometime

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    (Especially if they are alone) they will take a while to adjust to a new environment (how old is he/she?).... ask the breeder to depict their original environment and replicate it.... I know ours used to keep them with newspaper in their crate, for example, we tried to replicate their original space as much as possible until they got comfy.  Takes a little while, they're insecure
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Mine moved right in and never looked back!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    edited May 2013
    Usually if a litter of puppies is provided plenty of attention and is well socialized with people they will welcome love and attention from their new owner immediately. Yes, during the first few days while a puppy is alone for its first time he or she might whine or bark but this is normal especially being in a new environment and away from its siblings. A Bull Terrier puppy will adjust quickly to their new home. In the event that a Bull Terrier was to appear timid and scared they are either too young (prior to 8 weeks old) to be away from their siblings or the puppy was rarely handled and socialized with people while it was being raised. An eight week old puppy is usually a confident puppy running around with their tail wagging and looking to rake havoc on everything and everyone.  :-)

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Maya was just as Steve described. She took to the girls immediately and vice versa. I am really convinced that the socializing prior to being with their new family is the critical factor.
    Gotta have a good breeder that knows what they are doing... That's why there's such a waiting list!! I do, do hope that all of the new parents that I see on here appreciate what they got, if they got it at the right place.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Selah came from Steve and she was a confident puppy, and came home timid. Within 2 days she was back to herself again, confident, bossy, cuddly, and stubborn lol!
    If we don't see frequent pictures of Selah as she grows you'll be in loads of trouble! B-)
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    In all seriousness, philsergeant is correct. There will be hell to pay. :))

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Sorry guys lol I posted a video and pictures Sheesh lol!!  [-O< Plz forgiiiiiive me for not being so showy and on your time guys lol!
  • edited May 2013
    Hello all. This is my first post here. I have been reading this forum for quite some time and would like to thank the community for all the great advice that you all have given. You can really tell that there is a true love for the breed here contrary to some of the other sites that I have visited.
    Well, back to the subject. I actually just picked up our puppy Apollo from Bullies of NC just this past Friday. He has adjusted quite nicely. We gave him some time to sniff around his new home and before we knew it he was running and jumping around and acting like a big goof ball. He took to everyone in the household well and didn’t hear a peep out of him during the night. He is a great pup and we are so proud to have him in our family.
    Okay. Secondly, you can take a lesson from Yoshirican above and know that not frequently posting pictures of Apollo as he grows will not be tolerated... You'll get reprimanded from all angles! :-))
    Firstly we are not surprised that Apollo is mightily pleased with his new digs, and is giving you the jollies already! Goofball is a well chosen word. We hope you treasure the great experience of having a Bully in the family, and wish you lots of luck and patience during the next six months ( snicker, snicker). They are tough but worth every effort.
  • Trust me, photos will be posted as well as vids. This little guy is so funny it is hard not to take vids of him.
    Take photos now... soon you will be battling to get photos unless he's asleep... he'll be constantly on the move with little interest in posing..... I hope you're fast with a video camera! Enjoy!!!!
  • How's this for breaking in his new home? :D
    apollosleepytime.jpg
    1296 x 776 - 65K
  • please repost the instructions to post pictures , I tried a few weeks ago but it did not work . Now I can`t find the place on this site where the instructions were . Thanks.

• edited May 2013
    Love rocky and mokoa litter. Gorgeous pups
    @usmc46153 Hey! We have the same dog, same sofa, same leather, same cup holders even.... spooooky!
    Marco5.5monthsEars.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • Jennifer, when I uploaded the pic I just clicked "attach a file" on the bottom to the left. :) philsergeant, all I can say is we have AWESOME taste!
  • Hey how's the leather with your dogs, I'm afraid they wil scratch it up?????? USMC- he looks a bit uncomfy but content !!!! 
    About the biggest rule we are trying to teach at the moment is "No running in the house!"..... it's a little too many syllables, but we are winning slowly.... that includes "No jumping on the couch".... We wrote it down for them so hopefully it's taking.... as long as they don't horse around... (we keep their claws cut short and filed) .... they don't scratch the leather... we give them a pillow or blanket to chew on... (see picture) to be sure they don't gnaw the leather... helps them hold the piece better too.
  • We have the micro fiber suade and its a pain in the ass to keep clean from dirty paws, grubby fingers ect.... I think leather would be much easier however my husband thinks theys eat it!!!!
  • He did try and chew under the couch, but hasn't attempted anything else. I have to say he's been pretty tame since he's been with us. If he's on the couch it's usually because he sitting with one if us and asleep. His nails are also short. If you all get a leather couch, make sure it comes with or buy a warranty. That way if your Bullie does scratch, you're safe. Then you know not to let him on.
  • They sleep on it at night as I don't provide either cages anymore because my male is dominate over the cage and has got nasty with my female if she gets inside it. It is hard to break up a fight inside a cage as I have done one to many times....no cage no problems. Cleo nests but if I provided her with a blanket and my couch a warrenty as you suggested I might be in buisness:)
  • Leslie, I forgot to mention that Bed, Bath and Beyond has couch covers. They're not the cheapest thing in the world but it will fit to measure.

• Thanks!