Skip to content

UTI with Bull Terriers

BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
This discussion was created from comments split from: Introducing Selah.
- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments

• So yesterday Selah starting squatting over and over like she had to pee... So we took her to the vet yesterday as soon as we saw that, and wondered how strange. The Vet said a UTI and gave her Primor pills!!!! What I don't understand is how she got an UTI, she drinks like crazy and like pees every hr! The only thing we thought of that might have caused it is that the day before we went to the zoo and left her in the kennel at my hubs grandma's under shade and with plenty of water. My husband picked her up and noticed no poo in her kennel (Which we left the bottom out of it) and thought maybe she held her pee all day... She had plenty of water, his grams made sure she didnt run out... Surely she would'nt have held her pee all day right!? So we thought maybe she held her pee, so after her pills and her return from the vet in 2 wks we are probably going to add some cranberries to her diet and or the cranberry supplements... Any idea... Is it something else like the dawn soap?
  • It has been since this past May we have seen no urinary problems until today... We are waiting for the vet to call us back if he will see her. I doubt it, but hopeful. I dk what it is, but she drinks a lot of water and goes outside when she scratches or barks at the door. I guess the next thing is adding cranberries and mix wet food in her dog food... I haven't started her on cranberry pills yet bc I was waiting to see if she was going to have another episode or if it was a one time thing with her, but I guess we will have to now. I really hate this for her! She's not whining this time, but she squats and asking to go outside a lot... Poor thing, I dk what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'm not washing the water bowl enough, I wash it once a wk. I dk I am trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong...
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    @yoshirican - I must have missed your previous post back in May. I apologize for not responding back then. I suspect she may indeed have had a UTI. As mentioned before, some dogs will hold in their urine for great lengths when in a kennel or crate which can cause problems. She's young and many BT's just enjoy going in and out all the time when they are bored regardless if they have to use the bathroom. My bullies come in and go out constantly through the day. If she's going out the door and not squatting almost immediately to relieve herself then she just wanted to go outside to mess around.
    Your Vet should have been able to run tests to ensure she had no further problems in regard to UTI or bladder function. If you see any signs of pain or discomfort I would have her re-examined.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yeah I just got off the phone with Dr. Coker, he said she should not have gotten it again this soon at least. He said she may have to have a 4-6 wk treatment. So we see him Monday. :(Poor thing will have to deal with this all weekend! So I guess Petsmart we go maybe the cranberry pills will give her relief.
  • You answered Steve, it was moved from another post. She was treated for 7 days the last time and got better. Maybe she's doing like you said and holding it or stopping herself from peeing all of it out at one time. She plays a lot and never really seems to want to stop fetching the ball lol!
    Well it's good to hear she's active and energetic. If she's not running a temp, still drinking plenty of fluids, not showing pain, and still possesses all her energy I'm sure she's fine. The cranberry pills should help her out. Who knows, by Monday she may be perfectly fine. Please keep us posted.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Over the weekend Selah seemed to have a lil more relief since we added cranberry juice to her food, but still had the problem. We went to the vet today and she def was running a temp. and they diagnosed it another UTI. They gave her Clavamox to take every 12hrs for 2 wks ... She will be ok;) They said I'm not doing anything wrong, but to make sure she's not holding her urine for long hrs. Easier said then done, I hope Selah grows out of this. I love my stinky dinky none the less!
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Shame, I feel bad for her!! Poor kid.... Although it actually hurts us more when they are not doing well than it sometimes does them.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    It saddens me hearing that Selah is feeling bad. What kind of tests did they run on her? Did they conduct any x-rays?

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • She took a pee sample then they did an x-ray to check for bladder stones and found nothing. They did say her belly was full tho, lol! She's doing great now, not crouching down like she has to pee over and over. She is acting like nothing is wrong. I hope this is the last episode of her having a UTI. We are doing everything possible to avoid anymore. LOL! 
  • I just read that apple cider vinegar helps with uti's in dogs as well as boost the immune system!
  • Thanks @ stoges_mom I havent heard that, pretty cool! I'm sure a lil bit in her food from time to time would be good then.
  • Yea, I've only heard good things about using ACV in dogs as well as humans!
  • Oh I found the 'dosage' suggestion:
    Average dosage for a dog or person is 1/2 oz morning and 1/2 oz. evening. A cat is half that dose. Can be diluted fifty fifty with water, dripped on food. Finicky pets try tiny doses then work up to suggested amount.

• I am wondering how this cute dog is doing with the UTI? This worries me as I lost my Target Bullykid with bladder cancer. I do hope all is going well with your girl now. You can prompt a pup to tinkle by taking her out of her yard or off the property. You can also get results by pouring Dog Body Temperature water on her lil Pee Pee.
    I stressed "Dog Body Temperature" as many people insist on bathing a dog in cool water rather than warm. We've been shouted at as dog owners for so long to NOT USE WATER TOO WARM WHILE BATHING YOUR DOG, MAKE IT TEPID. This does NOT take into account that the body temp of a dog is higher than ours! 100-101 degrees about. So use truly warm water if you do this. Other wise she'll be shocked. LOL

Hope things are going well. All the best from Sonja & Pumba
  • Thanks for your input and concern, she is doing great! She is back to normal and enjoying her morning routine of cranberry juice. About washing her I wash her in our bath tub with warm water, she seems to hate water tho no matter what temp lol! The only thing I can think is she would hold it bc of excitement! I really dk y and the vet couldn't tell me either. So we are just going to be on prevention patrol for now on. Thanks again!
    That's really good to hear. Bullies are so tough but yet they can easily trigger huge worries when anything happens to them. I'm glad to hear Selah is back to her normal happy self!

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yoshirican, where did you get Selah's name please?  Sonja & Pumba in OR
  • edited August 2013
    From the bible Psalms 66:4 All the earth worships you and sings praises to you; they sing praises to your name.” Selah (Pronounced Say-lah)
    Selah in Hebrew means the value, in certain scriptures in the bible the word Selah comes after. It wants you to measure the scripture to weigh the value of it, to pause and reflect on it.
    Anyways I chose that name in particular for this particular scripture bc I believe that ppl may not praise and worship our God, but all creatures on Earth will do with or without us. So that is why I chose that name for my precious Selah. Dk if that makes sense to anyone, but in our home we love our God and include him in everything, even the littlest of things.
  • edited August 2013
    sorry it was so long and dk why its highlighted.... maybe bc i copied and paste the scripture in.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    That is soooo wonderful Yoshirican, I'm very proud of you... you are living proof that Bullies really do know how to pick good owners!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Awe thanks Philsergeant thats sweet to say;)