Skip to content

my first bully

I bought my first bully 2 weeks ago she is now 11 weeks old ive had dogs all  my life  but she has been the most challenging she is constantly biting and nipping all the time she has plenty of toys and kong toys etc nothing I seen to do is really working I would be very grate full of some advice as I want to do right by her I love her with all my heart . I have tryed saying no in a firm voice ive cryed ouch and walk away she jyst lunges herself at u to get u again ive put her in a submissiin poistiin untill she calmescdown or falls asleep she dies fight me but will give in in the end . Maybe ince she can get out in a week im hoping she will calm down I also have a staff my old boy if 12 sge will not stop biting him i correct her but find myself remiving him from the roim to give him some peace he does warn her but not enough to make her stop  .

Comments

• They are extremely stubborn it sounds as though your not stern enough if the punishment isn't strong enough they will gladly take the scold to get what they want.. how much exercise is she getting???? I know this sounds harsh but a good firm NO and a good smack on the rump might help. I also used an air horn for bad behavior because I didn't want them affraid of my hand. Each dog is diffrent and will respond diffrently to diffrent stuff. They do take a FIRM hand!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • Hi lesley thank u for your comment i am very firm with her but she just does not care think I might try the horn have used it with a previous dog I had I think im so scared of doing the wrong thing with her as its a breed I have never had before have always wanted she has lots of play time in the house and garden she can go out in acweek thank god x
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Big Bear, Well you came to the right place, you'll find all your answers here. But they are not short answers. You will find a huge variety of them. If you scour the site you will find input on all those issues. They will vary as EBT's, their owners, the environments vary, and these factors vary a lot. Most of those variables don't matter with regular breeds but with our children it does. You're going to find the most predominant answer to the biting to be " pin her to the ground at her neck EVERY time she nips". SHOUT "no"... And eventually she'll want to please you that much she'll stop. But much depends on how much time you spend with her, ( collectively "you" means the family) , and everyone has to have the same reaction. EBTs do best when they have lots of human time... Other dogs can have an hour or so of humans per day, EBTs need much much more. Everywhere you'll read that you must ( everyone that doesn't want to get nipped must) be the alpha, in no uncertain terms. Not your older dog, all humans. I am busy bringing up two 5 month old siblings... The terrible twins.... And it's an all day, every day battle, but we are winning. I found that a thin bamboo cane ( with rubber tips so's you don't accidentally poke an eye), works wonders. I've only ever had to use it a couple of times, pencil style, a sharp wack above the tail... Now, whenever one of us pick it up they stop the wrong thing they are doing. It's not that they don't know what you want them to do/ not do, it's that they are testing you to see what it will take before you say " I'm not taking this any more" .... They will love you and reward you 10 times when they are older, than the amount they annoy you when they are young. They will eventually accept that you will tolerate only their tongues leaving their lips, for kisses. The same as you are learning how tough they are to bring up, you will see how wonderful they are as family members. Look around the site, there's lots to read but you'll find the way.... If you don't, shout back and the many Bully Lovers here will help along.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Think human 3 yr. Old in a dog suit....same mentality:)
  • Have you tried any bitter yuck or bitter apple spray? I would use this sometimes when they nip me i would spray it in their mouths, taste terrible, and if you use it, trust me, you will taste it too...sorry haha.
  • Thank u for your comments they do reasure me that this is normal behaviour of my bully ive done the pinning down by the neck she fights me mbut I win in the end im with her nost of everyday aparr from school run think ill give the bitter taste ago shes not been to bad today lisening to no she did get me bad today and I had a hanger in the table I banged it on the floor and shouted no in a very firm voice she ran to the point that she sat next to the tv with her back to me I dont want to scare her was this right or wrong
  • Perfect!! You didn't beat her with the hanger and sounds like you got your point across:)
  • Thanks Leslie she has been really good today I fill like I have moved a step forward still nipping a bit but is listening when I say no and she stops I wish I could put photos up but when I try its say error I must say she is brilliant in her crate and has been since the first night I got her I am soo looking forward to my life with my very first bully thank guys for your advice it really help first time bully owners x
    Every little bit of progress helps.... and you'll feel a little better every day. If you are going to use the hanger, (as Leslie says, just the sight and noise will tell her you mean business).... then use the same hanger every time. Don't expect her to recognize trouble when you pick up a tennis racket.  In the kitchen we keep a wooden spoon ready... I think we used it twice... now we just have to pick it off the counter and say "HEY!", and they stop the naughties.  They are smarter than us... If we go to the fridge and take out string cheese sticks, they look at each other and both SIT instantly, without us having said a word.... we use the (fat free) string cheese as treats for training.  They go and hide behind a chair where we can't see them and fight silently, because they know if we hear or see them they'll get the reprimand.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • That is a really good way of putting it I will continue with the hanger I only used this as I was iroining at the time and it was the nearest thing to me lol
    20130504_151118_4_bestshot.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
  • This is my sophie at 9 weeks x
  • This is sophie at 11 weeks now shes so beautiful
    20130511_223735-1.jpg
    426 x 387 - 129K
    Oh my jolly!!!! She is magnificent! She can come and nip at me anytime! :-))
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Sophie looks great!!! :-bd

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • hey bigbear thats my anthena...give her back!!!!!!!!!! lol joking she looks like my athena............

• athena but shes a minniature.....
    208618_4751892081678_1492039153_n.jpg
    720 x 960 - 61K
  • Oh bless her shes beautiful x
  • Sophie having snuggles
    20130507_131421-1.jpg
    956 x 790 - 462K
  • sophie is a beauty too... just remember that is a child in a dogs body and they get what they want...
    555645_352232061528340_347119392_n.jpg
    300 x 300 - 12K
  • Lol u r so true but they r just soooo yummy x
  • gorgeous baby! she has quiet a lovely expression on her face, good eyes. <3
    There goes your heart......... Zooooooooooooooop!
  • They are both soooo darn cute!!!!
  • like phils was saying the neck pinning worked for me after a couple weeks she realized i was the leader of our pack she stoped bitting/nipping/mouthing thats what a dominant dog would do to a lower member of the pack in the wild too pin them down and make them submit. he is a beautiful pup and is just rambunctious as most puppies of all breeds are are not just EBTs im sure he wil learn the rules big bear :)
    its an english bull terrier......not a pitbull dude
  • Thank for all your lovely comments its 5.20 am in uk and my girl has just woke me up for a pee what a good gril x