Skip to content

To spay, and when to spay, that is the question.

philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
Our boy we are not going to fix for as long as possible, and hopefully stud him, ( his dad won a bunch of stuff). Our girl we are going to need to spay, lest we end up with some redneck cousins. ( see previous string " Sir Hump-a-lot" ). I've read a bunch about when to spay and not, and there's such conflicting opinion. It seems so unnatural to spay before the first estorous, but a lot of "exspurts" recommend it. Then again it's hard to predict when the first estorous will occur and, once started, I believe you need to wait until a while afterward before spaying. Some real bully owner input please.
In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    That's a topic that will forever receive different answers. Every vet and every breeder with have their own opinions as to what is correct. Most of the controversy stems around the best time for a male to get neutered vice when a female should be spayed. People will always bring up the risk for health concerns, cancer, etc from neutering or spaying too early. Most of these tests are inconclusive. Here's a good article:

http://www.cesarsway.com/askthevet/basicadvice/best-age-to-neuter-or-spay

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I've always been a firm believer of the bitch is more healthy spayed and the male is more healthy intact. I would recommend 'if possible' that the girl be spayed at at least over a year, preferably two. This allows her to reach full maturity and mostly the best size she can and will get. If you can't ensure the safety of her not ending up pregnant than spay her sooner. Early spay means that it can stunt their growth.
  • For many yrs it was spay them soon as u can by 6 months even vets would say the same then I watched a programne on this subject I was horrifed when the man said that spaying a dog to young removes vital hormones that a dog needs to grow and develop bones etc and can give your dog a life time of problems serious problems so after watching this I would leave as long as u can defo not under 16 months im sure u will do whats best x