Skip to content

lip warts?

so i noticed what looked like a white head pimple on moochies lip a few days ago and thought it was nothing serious then today she has another one on the other side of her mouth. i googled it and was reading about lip warts in dogs? ive never seen or heard of it in all the dogs ive owned but aparently it goes away on its own but could take awhile has anybody ever had a dog with lip warts or know anything about it.shes still the cutest but not loving the lip warts lol (i tried to upload a pic but my android wont let me for some reason) 
its an english bull terrier......not a pitbull dude

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Canine Viral Papillomas is a contgious disease that can effect all breeds of dogs. It takes a long time to go away too. I've been fortunate not to have any of my dogs contract this disease but I've heard about others who have got it from their doggie day care. Often the warts will also spread to the inside of the dogs mouth. Most vets prescribe mild meds but will explain it usually takes months to go away which is probably the same if left untreated. Some people choose to use L-Lysine which can be purchased over the counter at any GNC. It comes in a pill form and from what I heard it will speed up the process in diminishing the warts. Here's a helpful website that I recommend you checking out which has a good deal of information on this subject - http://www.caninepapillomavirus.com/

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Steve! What do people do without you?! :-?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I know it!!!!!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  •  i think ill try the lysine route instead of a vet bill for something which there is really no cure for it sucks that it will probably get worse before it gets better tho....thanks steve for sharing your canine wisdom!
  • I've had this before, sometimes they go away on their own and sometimes you need to have them removed. Three of my dogs had this and one of them had to have them removed the other 2 it went away on its own.
    What bad luck Danielle. Every BT you've owned had warts???

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Man, I've never seen one, hope I never do. Contagious through what, other dogs, people ... EBTs everyone knows are big Saamoooochers!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • they are only contagious from dog to dog no more samoooooching with moochie till they go away :-SS how long did it take for the lip warts to heal on thier own zerlett?
  • No Steve, I think my dogs in the past picked it up from the local dog park. This was a few years ago, and they all gave it to eachother. My pit mix Zahra and my Chihuahua mix Isis had them but they went away on their own, but Bowzer had a suppressed immune system and instead of going away they grew more rabidly and spread. I had them surgically removed off of Bowzer. Haven't seen them since!

Moochiesdad I think it took about a month, antibiotics will help though.
  • Bringing this thread back in the fold. Took Spud for a vet visit and was told he has this virus. The vet made a big deal about it but avoided any attention at this time since I wanted to see what are the best options for Spud.

He's fully healthy all round after all tests and has no other issues. I believe he may have gotten the virus at the dog park and/or doggy day care he goes to. I have since given him an increased l-lysine supplement in hopes it will help instead of receiving vet attention for the same supplement.

What do you guys all think?
    I think Bull Terriers (along with many other breeds) are susceptible to diseases like this especially if their immune systems may be a little weak. Many Bull Terriers do have weakened immune systems especially when they are puppies. It's something I have mentioned many times and encourage the use of supplements that help boost the immune system while adding other natural benefits that aid in their health. I use a product called NuVet. The only fall back people have with supplements are that if their dog is healthy and well maintained  they can't tell if supplements are beneficial or not. The fact is, if their dog is free from health problems that in itself should be enough justification that the nutrition and supplements they are providing their dog is beneficial. If you own many dogs (as I do) and they're all maintaining excellent health without seeing any of the common health ailments inherent to the breed it's a lot easier for me to gain confidence in the nutritional diet and supplements I'm providing them.
    I encourage you to put some thought into proving Spud a supplement that will help his immune system and keep him healthy. Think of it like a daily vitamin.
    It would be difficult to assume how Spud got the warts. He could have been born with them, he could gotten them from a park, he have gotten them from a prior to visit to the Vets office. I wouldn't put too much thought into how he got them but concentrate on getting rid of them. The Papilloma Virus is most often caused from an imbalance in a puppies immune system.  I'm glad you have him on a supplement now but supplements are mainly for preventative treatment. However, if you can boast his immune system this may be all you need to get rid of the warts. Many Vets will tell you Vitamin C will help with the warts.
    Just keep an eye on them to ensure they don't increase in size. I'm confident as he matures and his immune system improves the warts will dissipate and eventually be gone.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    edited January 2014
    I'm going to put up a sign at the couple of dog parks and the dog beach that we take our kids to..... "If your dog has lip warts or other contagious issues,... take it home"..... I'm sure that will work
    :-?
    and add "No peeing or pooping in the park either!"

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I would just be happy if the owners picked up after their dogs!
    I know!.... I swore that my New Year's resolution would be to not be totally disappointed in what MORONS most people have become.... I guess I made it to 01/02/2014... nearly.
  • Took a while to respond but I've been mobile all week and its difficult to post there.

I currently have Spud on nupro and its helped a lot. I will be switching over to nuvet when the nupro is done and I can afford it. I'm going to be taking him into the vet in a few weeks for a one year check up so I'll bring up the warts.
  • Hopefully you can also add some updated photos!
  • Ill add some tonight. The vet weighed Spud and hes tips in just above 50 lbs now.
    Nice! How old is Potato Man now?
  • Just reached 11 months. Here they are
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
  • Hes awsome :x
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • He's filling out nicely!! I remember when he had the little puppy face! He's all grown up face now! Lol
  • Lol thanks @stogesmom, where's our stoge update? I want to see the little guy.

As for the adult face I've noticed it too and he's calmed down a lot in the last few months.
  • His dad is suppose to do an update.... I've been bullying :-) him about it. He's just a lot better at telling the stories behind the pictures than I am!
  • Hey guys, after giving Spud about two weeks worth of lysine (1/2 500mg) tablets in his treats the two warts Spud had came completely off. I believe it may be due to that and the daily amounts of nupro in his diet. I'm going to take it easy with him for a bit around other dogs until his vet visit in the next few weeks when he turns 1.
    That's great news!!!    :-bd

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Are you talking about Nupro Gold? How much did he get? Marco has a little something on his lip... I don't know if its a wart yet, pretty flat, more like a tiny bald spot... But I don't want to overdo the Nupro if you think it may be that?