Skip to content

AKC receives a crushing blow today in the news

BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
edited May 2013 in General
AKC has been under the microscope for the past couple years now and it appears they are getting hit harder and harder as time goes on.

My personal opinion is that AKC is an excellent kennel club. However, they do NOT have the manpower or capability to ensure all those that register through them are breeding appropriately. It is not solely up to the kennel club to ensure breeders are complying with proper health, nutrition, and the well being of the dogs people are breeding. Each state truly needs to incorporate strict standards and policies for all breeders which include costly penalties for inappropriate means of breeding and raising dogs and other animals. Until then there will always be backyard breeders and puppy mills producing dogs by the hundreds that may very well have serious health issues. I could go on and on about things we could do to help matters and greatly minimize the amount of rendered animals from shelters but until strict regulations and policies are mandated we will continue to have problems.

Here's the article, I suggest you watch the video they have linked. I'm confident AKC will defend themselves with a reply to this interview and article but the damage has been done and currently there are a plethera of hate mail towards AKC filling up their inboxes and on their Facebook and Twitter pages. Be prepared to see some changes in the near future coming AKC. They will have no choice but to become stricter in order to keep the media off their back. I'm all for stricter regulations which I hope scare off some of the puppy millers out there.

http://www.today.com/news/akc-registered-breeders-raising-dogs-miserable-conditions-6C9640008

- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments

• That lady looked like a deer in the headlights :-/ 9 people to visit every AKC breeder..... Right!!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • Wow, so disappointing to see... Only 9 inspectors!?! There is no way they can inspect everyone's facility. AKC does need to do better for their reputations and for the responsible breeders who register with them. They should start working with human society and shelters so those two entities could stop giving breeders and even AKC a hard time. They have to do better.
  • Does the AKC inspect breeders if they like it or not or do they do it to people who ask for it so they can put "akc inspected" on their adds?
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    No, AKC puts 90% of their inspections into looking into kennels that have received several complaints. Rarely will a kennel that has a good reputation and/or has been flying under the radar get inspected. With only 9 inspectors and literally thousands of AKC litters born each year it's easy to do the math in regard to the chances of having AKC come do an inspection.

Many good breeders wish AKC would come to their kennels for an inspection just so they can say "AKC Inspected and in compliance" as though it would have some sort of value. Obviously based on the current report it didn't seem to have too much merit for the breeder that was selling unhealthy puppies.

I think with Bull Terriers it's not too hard to find the reputable breeders due to their not be such a high volume of breeders with reputation. Others breeds have hundreds and hundreds of breeders within every state. I feel bad that AKC does not have the manpower to look at every breeders dogs, facilities, and records but that would be a huge task and very expensive. There diffinitely needs to be some changes that will make it difficult for people to start breeding without having documentation of health tests, proper environment for raising and breeding their dogs, and the time to invest into do so properly and professionally.

I'm seeing more and more young kids in the early 20's breeding to make a profit and have never even raised a dog into old age before. They try and learn the breed as the go along while calling themselves a breeder. Don't get me wrong Danielle, I know you're young yourself and have only been raising Bull Terriers for a few years but at least you invest your time with research and strive to do things right in your pursuit to gain a reputation as a breeder.

I think many of the puppy owners that have purchased their puppy without proper research and end up with a puppy with health or temperament problems have to put some of the blame on themselves. It isn't hard to research how long a breeder has been involved with the breed and what kind of reputation they have as breeders. Many breeders haven't developed a reputation because they haven't even gone past their first generation in their own bloodline so health concerns are a mystery unless the bloodlines they are using to make their own are all well known and commendable.

This report on AKC today truly saddens me because I know some of what the press said is true and there are actual concerns. Things could be changed with regulations put in place but lets face it if there were strict guidelines and regulations in place it may prevent tons of breeders from future breeding if they couldn't conform which in reality would take away from profits going to AKC for litter registrations. I'm sorry but I'd be one of those breeders who'd welcome the new regulations with a smile on my face. It's long overdue.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited May 2013
    The root of the problem is ( as with most things ) general public ignorance. Most people think a yellow lab, is a yellow lab, is a yellow lab... They have no clue that there is a difference from well bred to poorly bred to abused litters. There is no way we ( or anyone ) could educate an entire population out of their lack of understanding. There is no way that all EBT "breeders" could be properly monitored by anyone official.
    We might hope to be loud informers of all things that we know, hear and understand regarding EBTs. It thankfully is a small enough sector of the most special dogs. We should report, nay advertise, all instances of abuse and unprofessionalism that come to our attention. I have learnt of enough instances of breeding abuse right here on this forum to make my stomach turn... And we should find a method of exposing these charlatans for what they really are. Any ideas should be shared. God forbid that the human "animals" that abuse Pitbulls for their aggressive potential feel motivated to switch to using EBTs due to the " outlawing" of Pitbulls community by community, city by city.... Then we will start to have a real "breeding" problem.... Read the other article on ths forum relating to how in the UK, drug dealers and other lowlifes use EBTs as weapons due to Pitbulls being outlawed in all of England.
    Speak up, speak often, speak openly and speak loud!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Steve, I absolutely was at fault for not educating myself before I went on the hunt for a ebt. Thanks to this forum I have learned a extremely valuable lesson of the dos and donts of buying a dog any dog!! I let the exitment of finding an ebt ( not an easy task here in Michigan) take over my rationale. I love my dogs but often daydream of a healthy nonissue ebt and know with a bit more patience and research I could have found one instead of these two beautiful messes!!! For all you eager beavers out their take your time, do your homework or end up like me!! Sad but true ( rock on metallica) :-??
  • I am also a people pleaser and try to find good in all people, makes me a good EMT but a sucker for a bad breeder.......oohhh well I guess I take my lumps at least I'm honest :D
  • I think I would truly love that job! AKC inspector! Haha, I would be a strict SOB....haha! I need to put in an application! Haha.

I didn't know jack shit going into my first bull terrier, hell, at the time, I even called pet stores! I was dumb as dog shit. But, if you are truly involved and get as deep as I have, putting time and effort into learning all you can, you learn very quickly. I don't just choose to learn on my own, but I value the thoughts and opinions of others. I will still always come to my own conclusion and views on things. In only 5 years of being involved with this breed, I have read a tons of articles, seen hundreds of dogs, rescued many, talked to hundreds of people, and it all comes down to how much you choose to learn in the time your given.
  • i have seen this going around FB-it is disgusting the way they try to blame everyone.

I agree with you Steve, they are not the authorities-they do what they can to prevent BYB-hence the reason they allow breeders to have limited rights option and do what they can to enforce that, they cannot do much more then that.

How come no one goes after the CKC registry? those are the ones alot of BYB pups come from as its basically pay your fee and youve got paperwork-fooling people into beliving they are buying a paperd pure bred puppy.

• Right exactly!! I hate CKC paper work!! And you see more and more of it now days, buy a puppy with CKC papers for 600 bucks and than get another one and than breed and make money and sale your CKC pups! YUCK!
    Anyone from Canada, the above references are for CKC being the "Continental Kennel Club" not to be mistaken for CKC "Canadian Kennel Club" who has a great reputation and mirrors AKC here in our country.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Danielle (Zerlett), whether in this discussion or any other, I just must say that I truly love your straightforward, brutally frank and unabashed comments and input.... One of the many reasons I keep coming back here. I hope to meet you one day, but meanwhile intend to suck up all and any of your knowledge and honest experience, thanx !!!!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    edited May 2013
    You two must be buddies.  ;)

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you Philsergeant you made me blush. If your ever in Vegas please stop by!
    :\">

• Yes your right tom the Canadian Kennel Club is the exception absolutely.