Skip to content

Do my spots make look fat??

So people are always telling me that my Ella is FAT!
What do experienced EBT parents and experts think?

She did get boobies when she had her first cycle in January. 
The breeder told us her birthday is May 2. He was questionable.
At our second vet visit after getting her he said that she is older than we think because she had her adult teeth by then.
She was supposedly 9 weeks when we got her and weighed 12 lbs. She is 50 lbs now.
She is on the Victor puppy/adult food. Gets 1 1/2 c. X 2 daily
Thanks in advance

IMG_20170412_190335889.jpg
4320 x 2432 - 2M
IMG_20170412_190246648.jpg
2432 x 4320 - 3M
IMG_20170412_190203912.jpg
4320 x 2432 - 3M

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    What a load a codswallop.... she looks great!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • In my honest opinion.. she is a little chunky! :)
    But nothing wrong with being fat and happy! Here is my girl. 44lbs. I keep her fit and healthy.imageimageimageimage
    IMG_4750.PNG
    750 x 1334 - 4M
    IMG_4749.PNG
    750 x 1334 - 4M
    IMG_4746.PNG
    750 x 1334 - 4M
    IMG_4748.PNG
    750 x 1334 - 2M
  • O yah- Roxy gets 1 cup morning and 1 cup at night. Veggies for treats whenever she wants them.
  • Mine gets fat so quickly. It's a struggle because I love to treat her.
  • Treat with veggies! Can't get fat with carrots, cucumbers and green beans.
  • From the photos you have provided she looks fine to me.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    edited April 2017
    Something to keep in mind when judging the build of a Bull Terrier is understanding the "types" of Bull Terriers. It's easy for someone that raises a Bull Terrier that distinctively has the "Terrier" type to get so used to seeing a thin and lean Bull Terrier everyday that when they see one that is more "Bulldog" type they think of them as overweight. Truth is, Bull Terriers should be a good mix between "Bulldog" type, "Dalmatian" type, and "Terrier" type.
    I actually have more of preference to seeing BT's lean more on the "Bulldog" type are there's no question they rank up higher within show conformation events which are meant for judging them on their qualities within the Breed Standards.

BT Types.JPG
    1730 x 1504 - 352K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com

Nitro, custom.jpg
    588 x 434 - 222K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Our Terra certainly leans towards the bull dog type; she's still fat because I can grab a fair roll on her back or gut. I think she has a slow metabolism because we only give her 1 metric cup of kibble and 4 small chicken necks per day. I might treat her with one pigs ear or a juicy bone as well through the day. I also slip her veggies when I prepare dinner.
  • Is that appropriate or too much?
  • edited April 2017
     Jbird  I guess it all depends on how much exercise she gets.
  • AmyJoAmyJo Kansas
    I guess my preference is to see  them on the thicker side.
    Thanks for all the input!
    By the way, you don't see EBT'S in my area so people are not used to the breed.
  • Get her to loose 3 or 4lbs and see what she looks like then maybe? I personally am not looking for a high ranking in a show event, but even 3 lbs less has to feel better on their joints.. Roxy was a bit overweight at one point, and getting her to loose a little was the best thing for her. She has more stamina and doesn't get out of breath as easily.. Being healthy is more important to me than winning an event. See what you can get her to loose, and determine what you like better :)
  • I have commented on another post, i get the same comments, i have never seen another BT where i am so it may be lack of knowledge.
    The trainer who is british said he is too plump but i disagree, he has even been said he looks like a pig lol !
    20170415_160128.jpg
    4128 x 3096 - 10M
    20170402_214122.jpg
    4128 x 3096 - 4M
    20170415_160133.jpg
    4128 x 3096 - 9M
    20170415_160324.jpg
    4128 x 3096 - 8M
    20170415_160221.jpg
    4128 x 3096 - 8M
    20170415_160424.jpg
    4128 x 3096 - 8M
    20170415_160315.jpg
    4128 x 3096 - 9M
    Cyndij33 - At the Shows they aren't wanting to see a Bull Terrier that is one pound overweight. They are judged according to how well they emulate the Breed Standard. This may be why the skinny ones which are on the "Terrier" side don't pan out too well.

I prefer a well Built Bull Terrier that carries substance by form of muscle and tone. There's a big difference between a proper build that carries proper volume and mass vice a Bull Terrier that may be overweight.

Nitro - Poland, Stacked 2.jpg
    665 x 483 - 273K
    Nitro - Stacked.JPG
    1080 x 720 - 206K
    Nitro - Tire Pull 1.jpg
    960 x 335 - 99K
    Nitro - Best of Breed, 141115.jpg
    2972 x 2372 - 3M
    Nitro (8).jpg
    728 x 960 - 154K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I'm not worried about what judges think at a show.And I'm not speaking for the breed entirely. I was simply saying that 3 or 4 pounds may not seem a lot, but it has to feel better on them. If whomever is asking if the dog is fat, do the work and see what a difference it makes..
    In my opinion, the best bull terrier is your own. Dalmatian type, terrier type, bulldog type, whichever.
    I myslef like the terrier type and the bulldog type. But that's just me.
    I don't know what my dog is honestly. I know I keep her skinny, so she's not "show material" like what you would consider. But she looks pretty damn good to me!
    Well that's all that matters.
    My responses to the proper look and appearance are usually focused on the Breed Standard which identifies exactly what the Bull Terrier should look like. I don't think there's such a thing as an ugly Bull Terrier. I love them all. But when asked about the appearance it's best to provide feedback based on the defining description depicted within the Standards vice personal opinion.

General Appearance.JPG
    1659 x 1434 - 211K
    Body.JPG
    1627 x 801 - 182K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Fair enough. But I find it very hard to find a bull terrier that fits that standard. Honestly, how many of us have dogs that look like yours? Or what your depicting? Probably not many..
    My question is, if a terrier type dog were heavy(or fat), could it be easily mistaken by the average eye,not judges, for the bulldog type? Or, could a skinny bulldog type be easily confused with the terrier type?
  • I believe Steve is giving the best answer he can

When asked by someone ...... is my bullie the correct weight .... as a compitant breeder his answer should reflect on the standard

I for one would always rather see a dog thinner than fatter

Skinny is usually;out healthier

As for the look I prefer muscular :)

Max at 8 months

His sister lady also 8 months

She is not as muscular as her brother but she is tight

They eat a lot

Right now 3 cu-s of kibble a day with probale a cup of meat and cottage cheese worked in to their kibble

They are ran almost everyday in hilly terrain and do lots of spring pulling etc

A4A1166D-B613-47E6-8BA1-D1B56D8E465E.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    CD733171-D32A-4B47-AA29-9DBE9065088B.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
  • Yes I know that.. i am not trying to come off like I'm arguing with him. I enjoy the conversation, so I'm glad sombody is posting back.
  • Imho in all breeds there are going to be what I would call fine and course

No negative connotation either way

In this breed they will be more terrier like (fine) or more bulldog like (course)

Either way if you can not see your dogs flank muscles and ribs to a certain degree they can afford to loose some weight
  • Beautiful dogs. And very well said!

• edited April 2017
    Thank you

I'm very much in love with them :)

Their fitness is a big priority to me

You should see them run in the woods

Coming on 9 months they are very athletic and their movement is excellent
    There isn't a Bull Terrier that doesn't impress me. I judge BT's more on the temperament and character than I do on appearance. I certainly do not focus all my energy on Showing them or traveling across the country chasing after ribbons and striving to put each and every Bull Terrier into a CH status. In truth, I focus very little on this aspect. I spend more time with Rescue and Adoption than I do with conformation shows. I actually find it to be more rewarding too. I have a lot of respect for the Rescues we receive and care little about their appearance qualities and how well they emulate the breed standards. I will admit that I breed with the intent to produce puppies that emulate the breed standards but they also must be within proper genetics to ensure appropriate health and temperament is procured.

I hope I have not come across as one to judge any Bull Terrier based on their appearance alone. I'd take a healthy well behaved Bull Terrier over any Show Dog that lacked in the qualities most important to each of us which will always be their personalities.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yes but how many well breed bullies that are a show standards would not have a matching temperament. It's all part of good breeding and bullies are bred as family pets.
    Jbird - You're right. However, I have seen quite a few Bull Terriers that could not be trusted off the lead which displayed extreme dog aggression at shows. You'd be surprised by their temperaments. There are some breeders who concentrate primarily on appearance and not so much health and temperament. I think it's like that within many breeds.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com