Skip to content

growling

Morning

I was after some ideas if anything.
Arrow for the last fortnight is what i can only describe as moody. He is growling when i stroke him, growling when i call him to me. If i tell him to go to bed (his crate) he shows his teeth and snarls at me, i stand my ground and tell him to go in and he growls more intense and shows me his teeth. he is being far less affectionate, he will still lie on my feet and by me but wont come and sit on my lap for a cuddle for instance. If he does and i hve to get up or move and i ask him to get off or move him he growls and snaps, not at me more in my area as a warning. if i didnt know better i would say he is depressed, he lies outside moping, when we walk he barely wants to go and he doesnt want to play. for instance as i write this now, he is in the house with me as raining and rather than be at my feet or by me as he would normally be, he is in his crate looking sullen.

Observations.

1. this behaviour is only towards me, he is my dog and my partner has far less contact with him yet when my partner comes into the room he is tail wagging, happy, jumping up on them etc. So in effecct i am the only one SEEING this behaviour.
2. These behaviours are only exibited in the house or the yard of my house (enclosed), when we are out walking, i can call him no growling and comes straight away, he doesnt make any noises when i pet him, NONE of the behaviours i listed above happen outside our property.
3. The vet says he is physically fine other than his none descended testicle, which we are looking at.
4. nothing has changed in his life process wise, i am at home all day other than errands so he has no less me time etc.
5. he will happily go in and out his crate, but if i ask him to go in then i get the attitude (not as a punishment, if i cant watch him or at night)
6. His ears when i call him in the house are always low and back, like the internet says he isnt happy or worried.
7. I havent changed how i interact with him and certainly have never given him a reason to be scared of me, other than a telling off, nothing physical.

Comments

• cont....
    he is playing fetch with his ball in the living room now so its not all the time but u would say the majority of the time he is as above
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Wow, that is strange behaviour!  I can only fathom a guess; and say that you should ask your partner what they did to poison him against you at home, I can literally grasp at no other reason... ( On your partner's part it could have been something deliberate or accidental).
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • How old is Arrow?

My personal opinion is that he is testing the boundaries trying to establish his place in the pack or more importantly his dominance over you. Remove any human privileges such as no getting on the sofa or bed and ensure your the one who feeds and disciplines him.

He won't display this behaviour on a walk as he is doing something he wants. Take the opportunity to install further control over him doing more lead work so you dictate the pace and direction.

Hopefully he should grow out of it but good luck
  • In dog terms hitting those early teen years it's quite common and should plenty of online advice and literature on how to deal with it. Just like a teenage boy getting a bit big for his boots ! Though my kids seem to have hit that stage around 6yrs old.
  • edited March 2017
    Especially males - of all different breeds - tend to try and test their role within the pack when in their "teens" repeatedly before they submit to the given order - provided there's any order given. :)

It is a matter of respect in my view. Sitting on lap, following around, resting on your feet at this age looks like it is likely resulting rather from the wish to control you than from pure affection. But don't worry, the affection is on its way. :)
    At 13 months the Bull Terrier has not settled yet and not completely committed to his family. That usually happens around the age of three yrs.

I think, some working together - especially the two of you, as suggested before - will help to file off the rough edges.
    Training will shape his behavior, put some rules in place and strengthen the bond and your role as a psychological parent and a person to be respected. Being the one providing the food, consistent manners and obedience training will at some point crack the nut.

In the meantime, nobody in the family can tolerate growling.
    If he growls, no matter at whom, he will be ignored by ALL family members. He needs to accept that he has to do his part to fit into the family. But he also needs straight guidance for that.

This has nothing to do with treating him badly or having to be draconic.
    As long as everyone is consistent and the family is pulling on the same rope together, things will fall into place. This is not only your problem, it's a family issue, even though the others may not feel affected. If he gets the impression that he can somehow get around your disciplining by turning to someone else in the family, that will make it multiple times harder for you to reach your goal. It's just like handling a little child. :)