Skip to content

Aggressive male bully attacks female in heat

Hey I have a 16 month old male bull terrier that I raised from a puppy along with two females I also raised.he will seem okay sometimes then he will snap and seem to be trying to kill one of my females.this behavior surfaced as he hit doggy puberty.he also seems to be unable to control these fits of rage and will be hyperventilating afterwards.he's really big and strong at this point too so I'm very careful to rotate him to playtime away from other dogs.I'm afraid what he'll do.he even tried to attack instead of mate with my female when she was in heat same with my other female.I've never heard of a male dog doing this.I'm actually trying to rehome him as an only pet but I feel like I'm taking a risk that the new owner won't be responsible.what does everyone else think?

Comments

• I'm also very aware and have decided that using him as a stud would be wrong due to his temperament anyways.he is AKC registered.but I'm afraid this temperament might be genetic and was probably passed on to him from his dad or another dog before him who knows.maybe the other breeder did ai because of this temperament but it just seems really dysfunctional for a male to behave this way and not natural at all.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    One of the reasons Bull Terriers are a rare breed is due to their difficulties with breeding as well as whelping a litter of pups. This behavior is not rare at all when it comes to breeding. the wide majority of the breedings we do are artificial insemination because a natural breeding is often near impossible due to behavior of the stud, dam, or both. Often when a female Bull Terrier is in heat they may naturally want to breed and even flag the male but when the male tries to dominate her or mount her the dam may also be fighting her natural urge to defend against dominance. This clash of reactions often prevents a natural breeding from occurring. It may also provoke a fight because during this time neither dog is willing to condone dominance or aggressive behavior.

In the event you decide to rehome your male Bull Terrier your best bet would be to NOT gamble on whether or not he'll do well with another dog and try to adopt him to a family with no other dogs or cats.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you for your wisdom.I did not know this was the case.I have been completely honest about him in trying to rehome him and have said he has to be the only pet.I have suspected this might be the case for the majority of bull terriers.I was able to find a stud for my female and they were very good together and did not try to fight at all.I now know this is generally not the case with this breed.It's reassuring though to hear from an expert that it's normal.Thank you
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited March 2017
    It is the exception rather than the rule, that a decently bred Bullie would be naturally dysfunctional... typically Bullies would be made dysfunctional by owners who didn't know or care.... if his temperament shows bad signs, quickly find out why and make the corrections... it's hardly ever their fault alone. ... and thank you for caring to understand the difference.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.