Skip to content

Question on nose color

Looked around but didn't see anything on this. My question is according to AKC, "Nose: Should be black, with well-developed nostrils bent downward at the tip." Half of Rumble's nose is black and the upper portion is pink. He is 9 weeks today. This might be a stupid question, but does the nose stay pink and would this be a "fault" according to AKC? I don't plan to show him, but I was just curious since I was reading the official standards of the breed. Sorry if this has been asked before and I missed it!

Comments

• Bentley is two and his nose is part black, part pink. Don't know about the AKC bit but I actually think it looks cute
    image.jpeg
    900 x 1600 - 110K
  • I agree! I like the unique nose patterns. 
  • edited March 2017
    AKC says nose should be black.
    http://images.akc.org/pdf/breeds/standards/BullTerrier.pdf?_ga=1.37073184.1294192790.1489409739

But I have also seen a lot of EBTs with partly or even almost completely pink noses. I also think it looks cute. Many pigmentation issues are related to genetic causes as far as I know. I would not consider this a real fault on the dog that necessarily leads to some serious problems in the individual. But a breeder may look differently at the issue and maybe even think about excluding such a dog from breeding.

I don't even know, if a kennel club would actually disqualify and exclude a pink nosed dog from showing.

If you dig around on the internet, you'll find that pink noses can occur in many breeds and can have all kinds of causes, some of them severe, some harmless.
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/care/pinknosedog.htm

I am curious, if others have more concrete info or if this is just one of those "grey zones" that never really got addressed.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    If a pink nose disqualifies a Bullie... then there wouldn't be many winners in the circle of human competition if they disqualified brown noses. :((
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited March 2017
    Speaking of noses: As long as they don't disqualify nosiness all's good. Because then Bull Terriers were definitely excluded. ALL of them.  :))

And get this, hubby says:
    "Pink noses are not a fault, they're a feature!" 
    :D
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Ideally the nose on a Bull Terrier should be completely black. However, many Bull Terriers have pink areas where the black pigmentation never came in. Yes, it would be a fault in a show but nothing very significant. A lot more attention is on the head and nose and overall structure and conformation of the Bull Terrier. Many Champion Bull Terriers have areas of pink on their nose. Our Bull Terrier "Nitro" is a champion and one side of his nose there is spot where the pigmentation did not come in. This never created an issue for him in the shows.

Your puppy is only 9 weeks old and pigmentation on the nose is actually still coming in. Right now it would be too premature to judge exactly how much pigmentation he will have on his nose.

Here's a good example of how the black pigmentation on the nose can develop over time.

Nose Pigmentation Development.jpg
    960 x 960 - 119K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com