New to the neighborhood...

Hello

Relatively
new to the form. I have gained some great knowledge from here and I thank you
all for that. I have wanted a BT for some time because I have always heard that
they are extremely goofy, fun, loving, active and to say the least a very
different breed. It is amazing how unique they actually are, and I didn’t fully
understand it till I finally got one of my own. Everything I have read about
behavior, silly attitudes, and randomness has rang true so far.

I
have found that he really just wants to be a good dog although accidents do happen.
I have used the pinning method and it works wonders. He will struggle a bit
then let out a sigh and then he is done. He will get up and give kisses and we
are all good. I had used this method on my red-healer while growing up, he was
a stubborn boy to but it straightened the alpha thing up fairly quick.  He has learned a lot, follows directions
fairly well and is currently ringing the bell when he wants to go outside to
play or potty.

This
is Wrex, he just turned 3 months young and I have had him for 6 weeks, weighed
out at 16lbs at the vet. I am happy to have found a form with others to enjoy
this unique and fun breed with.

Questions
for some who have had them a while. I would like to run with him when he gets
older (4-8 miles), as well as do overnight backpack trips (10-16 miles), had anyone else done this? I
know they are strong/active/agile, just wondering if anyone has had any experience
with either of these activities. 

wrex1.jpg
479 x 627 - 82K
wrex2.png
752 x 339 - 754K

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    First... He is just too beautiful, and I am totally sure you are going to have a wonderful relationship that equals, often eclipses, human ones....
    Second, they love exercise, and if you find shady, wooded groves and soft pastures he will run and run (as long as it's cool)... If you want him to run on straight, hot roads for miles and miles, well then just go take a hike, literally.
    They are better suited to short bursts of tremendous energy than long endurance type experiences.
    So glad that you have gained insight here... it is our only reason for existence.... Trying to get more and more EBT's loved and appreciated for the wonderful creatures that they are... worldwide
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Thank you, I do think he is quite the looker myself. And no straight hot roads for me, that's not my style. I am talking trails runs, through trees, across rivers, up mountains etc. They are a shorter bread with a larger muscle mass so would assume short bursts are their cup of tea. I was curious is any other owners have traveled many miles in a day with a BT and how that went. 

Last vet checkup/booster shots for this fella today and then I hope the dog parks are ready. : )

Cheers, 
    wrex3.jpg
    863 x 1077 - 193K
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I'm retired from the Marine Corps now but I can tell you that when I was on active duty I ran every other day as it was a part of life in the Corps. I often ran with my Bullies who I think enjoyed running a lot more than I did. A 5 - 8 mile run was easily accomplished by any of my Bull Terriers and I'm very confident they would gladly go further if provided the opportunity. However, I raised them to be active and started them running slowly but at an early age. I prefer running on dirt trails not just for the sake of my knees but also for my Bullies. If you are wanting to enjoy the company of jogging and exercising with your Bull Terrier I suggest taking your time with him by starting slow and not going very far distances. The biggest problem that people can have is running too long with a very young Bull Terrier which could cause harm to his joints which are still developing. An active Bull Terrier may act as though he can run forever but it's up to you to ensure he doesn't overdue it and cause harm to himself. My Bullies even enjoyed running on the treadmill and I still allow them to exert energy by using it.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • My bully can do 8 km in winter but struggles with 2 in the cool of evenings in an Australian summer. Anything over 24 degrees Celsius and she seems to over heat. She seems to prefer walking