Skip to content

Strange behavior when defecating

Hello all,

My lovely rescue BT Phoebe has been with me for a little under two months.  She's settled in well for the most part, but she's exhibiting really strange behavior when it comes to defecation.  Let me explain:

She comes to work with me every day, and gets an early morning walk.  Every day, without fail, she will defecate.  The result is bagged and tossed, and everyone's happy.  She's not at all stressed by it, her fecal matter looks just fine, and she seems to have no problems.  Just natural dog behavior, as far as I can see.

However, she also defecates at about 7PM every night, and here's the problem: she fights and fights and fights NOT to go out.  It started with her refusing to defecate in the backyard.  So I then put her collar and leash on, and took her for a walk.  This worked fine for a few days, but now she'll go out reluctantly, have a quick urination, then either try to head home or dig in and refuse to walk any further.  She really seems to hate it, which is really strange, because normally she loves walking the neighborhood.

I have begun carrying her away from the house and down the street, and then putting her down.  Eventually she will defecate (fecal matter seems identical to morning's, btw) and then we go home.

I want to emphasize that I have always talked to her gently and encouragingly, and praised her lavishly whenever she went, either morning or evening.  So I don't think it's my behavior that's changed, just hers.  She just seems to hate going out at night for some reason. 

Has anyone seen behavior like this before, and can you advise what I should do?  I don't want to stress her out anymore than she is, but on the other hand I can't have her soiling the house or hurting her health, either.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments

• My dog is one and whilst not exactly the same, is always far more reluctant to go out at night, where i live it is not well lit and it seems to be the dark and noise that is the issue, could it be the same? Arrow will happily walk the exact same route in the day go exploring on the long lead we use but come dark he urinates as soon as he gets out the gate and doesnt want to walk any further. He is a bit better now but it took lots of encourgement and games, letting him chase me etc in the dark to show you it can be fun but he is still not 100%
    like i said it may not be the same issue but he may just be wary of the dark. The reason i say this is because i had a Boxer that was a rescue who had issues with toilet because he was punished by previous owner and he would drop it and eat it before i could see it, i only twigged because i wondered why he never used his toilet in the garden during house training. I think (and i may be wrong) that if it was a toilet/fear issue they would a, try and hide it and b, not be ok going in the morning.

• edited February 2017
    Not wanting to go out after dark, especially in younger Bull Terriers is not that rare. Just try to stick to the usual places you also use during daylight and have different rounds ready - shorter and longer - just in case you experience "one of those days", you can choosethe short round.

Djamila is the same: After dark, she is extra careful outside, easy to scare by any cracking noise and she keeps things very brisk ... out we walk to the other side of the street, she does her business - sometimes I even have to convince her to do her #2 - then straight back home. Not a minute wasted.
    When we are on the road, sometimes uit gets even worse and I have a hard time to even get her to make her business at all.

I don't know what it is, but some of them don't like the darkness.
    It astonished me in the past, because I somehow thought that animals, as most of them can see far better than humans in the dark, are not afraid of it. Well, I was wrong. And giving it a second thought, I don't find it that astonishing anymore. I don't like the darkness much, either. And that does not make things easier, because my own mood transfers, too.
  • Thank you both very much.

I didn't think that darkness would account for the issue, because it's
    still dark when I walk her a work.  But they have a lot of lighting
    around the buildings and halls, so it's not nearly as dark as my yard.  So I tried a little experiment today, and took her out a few minutes ago, when it was still daylight.  After some very minor reluctance (overcome with treats), she trotted out and soon was leaving a present for the neighbor!

She then wanted to continue the walk, and had to be persuaded to come in!. . . What a relief!  I hope this is the beginning of a new page for her.

• It surprised me too.. I've never had a bull terrier before and I am shocked how sensitive they are lol..  I look at him and think you look strong impressive like you can habdle everything yet your a big wuss with so many things :) 

Adds to their personality and bond I think 
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited February 2017
    My guess is [just a guess] that (being a rescue), she was not given the amount of attention you give her and the arsehole (please forgive me if he was not an arsehole) that gave her up for rescue, used to come home late at night, by which time she had probably poo'ed in the house and he beat her or punished her. Now she is afraid to poo at night.  To me there can be little other reason for her behaviour.  Bullies are smarter than people when it comes to things like this and it will take you a long time of constantly praising her when she poos at night for her to accept that it's okay.  Just my ten cents worth... but I think it's worth a million.

If I am right I just want to hug her and hug her forever... People are crap, Bullies are everything.

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • You could be right, phil.  I notice how she'll suddenly cringe if I turn quickly, particularly if I'm holding something in my hands.

It's heartbreaking.  I saw it yesterday when I was removing a baking tray from the cupboard, so I called her over and *very gently* showed it to her, and then very gently "bopped" her on the back and head with it, calling her baby names and making "woosh" sounds.  I was hoping to over-write her bad memories with something fun.

After a bit she relaxed and didn't cringe, which I think is progress of a sort.

She's a lovely, lovely girl, and she's a real attention-hog.  Her favorite place is my lap, which can be a bit of a challenge.  She's about 50 lbs and barely fits.  We're quite the sight at work, with her flopped on me, and my arms trying to reach the keyboard!

• Yep, when they are little they could not care less about kisses, hugs and cuddling. Adventurous to no end. But once the magic tie has been knotted, they all act like they're born lap dogs. Only size-wise they're really not.
    What does that mean to us? Deal with it and have tons of funny Facebook photos. :)
  • You know, I forgot to post Phoebe's pic!

Here it is:

• YES!!

Just took her out, no problems at all.  She trotted out behind me and within a minute or two pinched her night-time loaf.

Whew!  Now she's resting . . .

edited February 2017
    How much love does a Bullie have to deliver before us puny humans are satisfied huh!?

That's such a precious photo
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Phil,

I mentioned earlier I'm allowed to take Phoebe to work with me every day, thanks to the kindness of the folks at Florida State University.  It's worked out brilliantly for her, because she can't walk 5 paces without hearing someone say "Oooooh, what a precious dog!  Can I pet him/her?"

I always say "yes," of course, and grab the opportunity to tell them she's a BT rescue.  Meanwhile she's just a little love sponge, absorbing all the strokes and coos with obvious delight.  She's known all across the campus now, and even has her favorite spots (like Landis Green and the Starbucks by Dirac Library). 

She gets to walk about 4 miles a day, and she just loves it.  And so do I, because of all the affection she's getting.  She just glows.
    There are two things that make a Bullie grow into a fabulous creature, good food and tons of love.... and the one is no good without the other.
  • edited February 2017
    Haha, "love sponge" is by far the best characterization, I've heard so far when it comes to their craving for attention.
    When we are on the road and take a break, Djamila hardly takes the time to do her business, not losing any minute of the time she wants to spend on looking around to meet someone, who will admire, praise and pet her. Once she found someone, she is overjoyed.

The other day I was joking around with my husband, stating that EBT's in my opinion would make perfect "emotional support" dogs, because they literally exude the scent of joy.

Phoebe is such an adorable girl, no wonder, everybody loves her!
  • Phoebe was tired out today, and no wonder - 6 mile hike yesterday.  So she asked to be lifted onto my office chair, where she sat (taking up 85% of the room, natch) and slept with her face against my back.

I know she slept, because when she sleeps she drools a bit.  And my shirt is now damp.

Love that girl!

• Well, it's been about 10 days now, and taking her out in daylight seems to have done the trick.  She's still a little stubborn on occasion, but overall the problem seems cured.

Thanks everyone.
    Terrific news Inspector Clouseau! You solved the mystery!
  • Just a quick update - the problem came back with a vengeance. For the longest time I was dragging the poor dog out, trying to get her to take a dump.

Then a lightbulb finally went on, and I thought - why do I care when she goes, as long as she goes?! Answer: because I would rather she do it when other people aren't around. So it was about me, not her.

So I just stopped caring about it. She wants to, she wants to. She doesn't, she doesn't. It's no biggie, because she's still pretty regular, and now she's much happier not to be under stress. What an idiot I am.

• Hello all. My 6 month old Eric has had or is having some problems too.

He really isn’t a fan of walking on the lead. He goes from pulling me down street to normal walk then sometimes NO movement. Like said earlier in thread, Eric to seems to not want to move of a night time. Most times in fact he doesn’t move. I have to really encourage him with treats and kneeling down and calling.

Also a few times where he hasn’t gone toilet outside he then comes in and does it. Luckily he goes in the bathroom on a puppy pad so it’s ok. However I have caught him eating his own poo now, if I don’t get to it in time.
    FED44E94-0420-4883-AD7D-D15EDAEBE28F.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
  • Not wanting to walk away from home when young and not wanting to walk in the dark is absolutely normal for EBTs. Either you try to assert yourself. Then be consistent and accept that it can take a while. Or accept the fact that your dog has "potty preferences" and adjust your schedule, if possible - whatever you feel more comfy with. :)

As for the poop eating: Some people say that it can be triggered when the dog is missing key nutrients in its food. Although I do not believe that this is the only trigger for poop eating, it is definitely worth to give the look at the nutrition a try.
  • Yeah I’ve looked into it. Seems strange as he eats good quality dog food. Sardines. Treat wise it’s milk bones and dentastix. Oh and some soft cream cheese.

I have read it’s so they try to clean up as they feel embarrassed
  • My Bully did this between approx 6 months and 14 months old and then stopped.

Before the Bully, we had 2 boxers, one male and one female. They ate the same food but the female ate her poop and the male didn't. She would also eat his poop. When out and about she would eat anything, dog poo, cat poo, horse poo, dead lizards, dead birds, also rolling in anything that was dead or was stinky.
    I guess.....some do, and some don't. :)
  • At least sometimes it can be really hard to get to the core of it.
    But if you are picking up after your dog, it should be manageable. It will not prevent the dog from finding "leftovers" of other animals when strolling through the woods off leash. But at least the average potty walk should be possible without this "extra treat". :)
  • I guess I'm lucky mine only eats poop from her own backyard :) with 3 dogs I pick up a lot of poop :)