Skip to content

My EBT goes nuts when we go outside!

Hi all! I am very new to EBTs, only having one for just over a week. She is 7 months and has some quirks. One that is concerning to me is how crazy she can get when we go outside. I don't have a fenced in yard and since it is winter and invisible fence or tie out will have to wait for ground to thaw. So everytime she goes out she is on the leash. Many times throughout the day she goes nits on the leash running full sore in every direction possible while the collar yanks at her and she spins and flips in the air! She has run head first into my legs several times already which is lovely. She will also just run circles around me leaving me spinning. I assume some of this is just play/energy, but I worry she will hurt herself. She usually ends up hacking and panting afterwards. I have been unsuccessful so far I getting her to calm down from this state. I have just let it run its course. If I try to intervene she looks like she is just gonna pounce all over me. Any thoughts or ideas? Thank you in advance!

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    edited February 2017
    What I'm about to suggest will NOT be welcomed by some people especially those who have never researched the product. However, I'm confident it will provide you with success in getting her to settle down while on a lead. All that pulling and jumping around is actually putting a lot of pressure and abuse on her trachea. This collar won't which is a lot safer for her. Please watch this video:

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thank you! I will definitely look into getting one of those. I always worry about her getting hurt, that may just be the answer.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited February 2017
    I still use a choker collar on Marco when we walk... he is so strong and pulls "in the wild"... Totally normal behaviour to run crazy and flip at the end of short leash.... find an open field and use a 50ft "horse training" lead (see photo attached when our kids were small)... they need loads of exercise baby! Exercise!

Isabellahelps.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 5M
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited February 2017
    You may just be experiencing an all too well-known phenomenon, called "Bullie Run".

If this happens all the time and even when walking on the street, that's dangerous and it shows that it's just the right time to start a straight leash training regimen.
    For all the times it happens in the yard or when the dog is supposed to walk as it wishes, a long training lead - just as @philsergeant already mentioned - and a well fitting harness instead of a collar would be my advice. And then ... let the puppy run the energy off!
    Why stop it? Exercise is one of the best ways to drain their energy at least a little bit.
    They need that!

Sooner or later the "Bullie Run" may also happen INSIDE your home and you will be watching your dog throwing itself against furniture and bouncing off walls, you ... well, it's crazy.
    And we usually don't make it any better by laughing.
    Make sure to keep legs and other body parts protected when it happens and kids out of the way.
    :D
  • choobachooba Michigan / Missouri
    I live in Clare, MI. Same state as you.
    Funny story on an electronic barrier.
    Not sure of others experience with an underground fence and a bully,. Tried it when chooba was a pup,. I could crank it so high he'd glow in the dark,. But if he wanted to go through,. He'd trot right through.

Boomer and Chooba are requesting pics.

tmp_2698-KIMG0577-1038525775.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
  • I still use the prong collar for walks.  Works great.
    I don't think that it hurts them a bit but it does get their attention.
    Good luck with your pup.
  • Thanks to all for your responses! I am still learning her and her antics and I think she is still working on being comfortable here. I am not sure how great of an upbringing she had before. It is hard to tell sometimes if she is being playful or something else (anxious/aggressive). We plan on getting an invisible fence come summer but I know she will need lots of training beforehand to get her to want to stay in the yard. Although right now she isn't likely to be found anywhere but at my feet!
    WP_20170129_003.jpg
    1728 x 3072 - 1M
  • Her name is Sassafras, she is 7 months and very sassy!
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited February 2017
    @Chooba... Oh so you're the guy who made that Frankenweenie Movie right? With Glow-in-the-dark Bullies and Crazy scars!!!! :)) :)
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Sassafras is a great name. I have a 1 1/2 year female here with us that we rescued named Sassafras too. We just call her Sassy which is what she's used to hearing.
    (She is available for adoption)

Sassy.jpg
    4217 x 2586 - 9M
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited February 2017
    Sassy is a fine looking animal.
    I love the red colour. I've never seen a red one in real life.
    Hope she finds a good home Steve.