Skip to content

Hair Shedding + neutering

Arrow is 11 months old and weighs in at 57llbs, i didnt expect him to be this big :)

I have a couple of questions

1. Is it normal for BT's to be heavy shedders. I have never had a bt before, i researched they were big shedders considering their short hair but he shed loads. He has no bald spots and he brushed daily. He sleeps in a crate and every morning the bottom tray has a lot of hair in it and even when you stroke him he sheds especially his tail. We are living in Thailand, Im a brit but he was born here so we dont have hot/cold seasons more wet and dry but he is rarley wet unless swimming :) My previous dogs in UK were boxers and they didnt shed as much and it was seasonal not all the time.

2. Does anyone have any experience of cryprorchidism, like i said he is 11 months old but one testical has not dropped and the vet "thinks" it is in the groin not the belly. My main question is this, i appreciate he will have to have it removed and neutered but i do not know when. Research i have read online including here suggests if it hasnt dropped now it wont but the vet keeps telling me it may still do. How long do i leave it before i get the OP done as i am not convinced it will come down now and i do not want to leave longer than required.

Thanks.

20170104_170829-1.jpg
1853 x 2698 - 3M
20161224_224300.jpg
4128 x 3096 - 4M

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    1.  Heavy shedding could be due to many different things but most common are
    • Nutrition
    • Stress
    • Weak Immune system
    • Genetics
    • Seasonal Allergies

I would recommend a change in his diet. I would also invest in a Furminator brush. I posted a photo of one below.

2.  Cryprorchidism usually requires surgery in order to prevent potentially serious health issues later on. During the surgery they will also recommend that you neuter him. Your breeder should have explained to you that he had this issue. At 6 weeks old the testicles should have dropped and during a health exam the Vet will palpitate each male puppy in a litter to ensure both testicles are in the scrotum. Your breeder was most definitely told during your puppies 6 week health assessment and vaccinations that he had an issue. 

FURminator.jpg
    350 x 350 - 14K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    I know you must have, in your various other posts, mentioned/ detailed what nutrition he is on... the shedding is most likely due to that if you discount the other factors that Steve listed as being appropriate.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Thank you both, i assumed surgery and neutering for the health issue but any thoughts on the dogs age?

• On the furminator, i was thinking the short hair medium dog one?
    Get the one for short haired dogs.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • @BulliesofNC I just wanted to say I invested in a Furminator and it has helped greatly. Firstly, it has reduced the amount of hair he sheds as im doing it daily (far less is coming off each day) and i may be imagining it but i would swear his coat and skin is better.... less spots.
    I was concerned he wouldnt like it due to the metal teeth on his skin but he doesnt mind being brushed.... APART from his tail, he wont let me do his tail so he still gets the old rubber mitt on that. It seems to give him discomfort on his tail
    That's great news! The more you use that brush the more he will enjoy it. In due time, he'll certainly allow the brushing of his tail too. ;)

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com