Skip to content

First heat

Our little girl has started her first heat at 10.5 months. She farts every 30 seconds (literally), and is wearing a diaper. Can someone tell me how long this will last and if I can still take her for a run off leash in a forest where it is possible other dogs may be roaming (surely if I keep her close nothing could happen).
IMG_2790.JPG
3264 x 2448 - 1M
IMG_2791.JPG
3264 x 2448 - 1M

Comments

• I don't have any advice/info to contribute, but I am curious as well. My pup is getting close to that age when heat starts... and I have NO idea what to expect. I'm hoping to get her spayed before it happens!
  • She is super cute by the way!! How does she do with the diaper on? Does she try to bite at it or take it off?
  • She spins around during the first minute or two after I put it on her. I tell her off and she stops pretty quickly. It stays on most of the time while she's indoors with little problems with her getting it off. She has been very flatulent, and smells pretty bad. Her temperament hasn't changed at all.
  • edited January 2017
    I do not believe in spaying young dogs

I would not consider spaying a dog under two years old

I would also not let a dog off leash that is in heat in any uncontrolled situation

I sm hop9ng that vets soon start tying tubes like in Europe and stop with the de-sexing of dogs as they do it today

• So you think it would be unwise to take her for a run while she's on heat?
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Treat her as normally as possible while on heat, but keep her protected from Randy males obviously. Heat can last anything from a few days to a month, but if the latter is regular then you need seek help. They are typically very good with the diapers as long as you are creative... take some old underpants and make the needed adjustments to wear over the diaper... Girls like to look fancy AT ALL TIMES.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Yep, today she escaped out to the back yard and did a poo in her diaper and then got back inside and dropped it all through the house. Note to self: doors shut at all times, diaper on inside and diaper off outside.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited January 2017
    Oh! That's a crappy way to learn that lesson. Someone should design a dog hatch with a little hook that rips the diaper off on the way out :((
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.

• Hi, sorry I'm late to answer, but I hope you had no problem. You have to be careful, males can be a little to persistent. Besides my female bull terrier (Trica), I have a male poodle so when Trica is in heat, I have to be extra careful and absolutely no contact, despite my male dog giving concerts at her door. Do not take her out of a leash nor unsupervise.

In my case, when Trica is in heat she's more lovable than usual and not that active, is better that way, and easy to take care.

By the way, I think your little girl is Trica's doppleganger, they're really similar head markings, even one front leg totally white and the other white and black.

Trica.jpg
    3024 x 4032 - 6M
  • 20 days later we think she's finally coming off heat. I took her for a few runs. We kept her indoors most of the time and she slept inside. but, woo hoo it's over!!