Skip to content

Home in supervised

Hello! Hi, I have a 6mo old Bull terrier. I have a question for all you. Do you leave your dogs out while your not home? We have English mastiffs (1) now..and they typically are allowed freedom rights around 1.5- 2yrs old.
My husband seems to think this fellow will never be able to be unsupervised

Comments

• I put mine out when I'm not home because I don't trust her in the house. Our yard is fenced and secure, she has shade and water and toys or bones. If she was left inside she would chew the furniture
  • Ok :) I also get the feeling mine will be a inside his kennel guy when we aren't home. Our mastiffs were allowed out but they just sleep. Needless to say- our kennel is XXL so it's more like a playpen :)
    We live on 8 acres and all is fenced but again, I don't want to come home to a missing dog or excavation site!!! Lol
  • edited November 2016
    If we are not able to take her with us, we are using a very large version of those hard-plastic box-style kennels made for transport both as "her room" with door open and to keep Djamila in with door closed when we have to leave home for grocery shopping or appointments.
    She even walks into it on her own every time she notices us getting ready to leave the house.

We are working from home. So, she is rarely crated and never for longer than a couple of hours.
    I would not choose this solution, if I had to leave the house for an eight-hour work shift every day. That would just be too much time for her to spend in such a small space.
    In that case I would probably try to find a dog sitter or reliable doggie day care.

In the past she had been sleeping in her closed kennel in the living room during the night. But as she has now managed to kind of sneak into our bed for good, that's not a question any longer. :)

Large kennel outside is no option for us - Florida heat being one reason of several. But if we had one, I'd probably make sure that it is not possible for the dog to "jump over" or dig herself out. Because once they have the time to think, they can become really adventurous. :)
  • edited November 2016
    DIrtyBirdie is a little over 3 months shy of her second birthday and I have been leaving her unsupervised inside for several months now.  I do close the bedroom doors so that her range is limited.  Other than a throw rug phase when she was a little thing, she has never been destructive.  So far I haven't left her for more than a couple of hours at a time. When I return she is either at the door to greet me, or in her crate giving me the "Oh, were you gone? Perhaps I'll pay attention to you later" look.      
  • choobachooba Michigan / Missouri

It took an investment of training, patients, and $$. But Chooba at 2 years and Boomer at 9 months have run of apprx 80% of the first floor, and have open access to an exterior Kennel where they can stare @ the wildlife or relieve themselves while I'm gone.
    Were there slip ups ? Are there still instances of damage ? Yeah ( lookin at u Boomer )
    but it gets better overtime.
    I moved to a small town with no daycare and I have to work, so I had to make the best of it.
    And it works great

imageimage
    1fc6857064b206d87f48454251b287.jpg
    580 x 435 - 184K
    b59d0e4622008acc873ae446492523.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 4M
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    No guilt in them faces, none! Once the turn 18 months you can typically trust them to have free reign of the home..... all depends on how they've been brought up.... but under a year... beware the valuables!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Yeah, I just caught my 8.5 month bullie in my bedroom, and for once she hadn't chewed my heels☺️ I leave the old chewed ones out front of my others so if she gets in the room she may chose those old stinky ones first. It seems now she's not chewing any.